bet365
NeoBet Profi
NeoBet Profi
ShoutChat
Kommentarrichtlinien: Posten Sie respektvolle und aufschlussreiche Kommentare. Kein Flamen, Hassen, Spam.
Neuste Mitglieder
Fancy_Franzi, Gamera, danny, gRuBer, Sport
3,864 Registrierte Mitglieder
bwin - Sportwetten Bonus
Bookie-News
Geburtstage heute
Es gibt keine Mitglieder mit Geburtstagen an diesem Tag.
Vorheriger Thread
Nächster Thread
Thread drucken
Bewertung: 5
Seite 21 von 41 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 40 41
Beigetreten: Dec 2007
braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - International break is a problem now

If Arsène Wenger was annoyed at full time on Saturday, he will be doubly frustrated throughout this week.

The Arsenal manager could find “no rational explanation” for his side’s 2-0 defeat to Aston Villa at the weekend and knows he will not be able to properly address their problems until Friday. That’s because the vast majority of his first-team squad will be on national duty.

“It is frustrating we can’t pick them up because of the international week,” said the manager. “At some stage, we would have liked to focus on something different then come back and re-focus again.”

Saturday’s defeat was as surprising as it was disappointing given that Arsenal appeared to have turned around their season with victory over Manchester United a week earlier and then built on it with another exhilarating Carling Cup win.

“It’s been unbelievable,” Wenger went on. “We won on Saturday and Tuesday and were on a high. But you felt there was no energy left in the side.

“I don’t have a rational explanation because we tried to make sure that everybody was on top of their game. It didn’t work. Maybe it’s down to the quality of Villa’s performance, I don’t know.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Djourou pushing for first-team place

Johan Djourou is pushing Arsenal's more experienced centre backs all the way at the moment, according to Arsène Wenger.

The 21-year-old is currently away with Switzerland preparing for their game with Finland this evening.

However Wenger has been highly impressed by Djourou's recent leap forward and has been singing his praises to Swiss coach Ottmar Hitzfeld.

In addition, the Frenchman believes the youngster can challenge Arsenal's experienced trio of Kolo Toure, William Gallas and Mikael Silvestre for a permanent place in the heart of the Arsenal defence.

"Johan Djourou is not comparable to the player he was six months ago," said the manager before the weekend.

"He has gained in personality, in determination and in quality. I spoke with the Swiss national team coach last week and I was telling him how good he is.

"He is pushing all the other players [at Arsenal]. At the back you want players who are strong in the duels and strong in the air. Johan's size is a big advantage. He is among the top quality."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger: Eduardo returns to training next week hand017

Eduardo will take a significant step towards his long-awaited first-team comeback next week.

The Croatian striker has not played since breaking his leg and dislocating his ankle during a Premier League game at Birmingham City on February 23. Now, after surgery and a long rehabilitation, Eduardo is on the brink of rejoining his team-mates on the training pitch.

"Eduardo is doing very well and is one week away from joining in training,” confirmed Arsène Wenger at his pre-match press conference on Friday.

The Arsenal manager discusses Eduardo's timetable for a first-team return in his exclusive interview with Arsenal TV Online. Subscribers can watch this from Friday morning.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - I don’t have a problem with the FA

Arsène Wenger insists that his relationship with Fabio Capello and the Football Association will not be soured by the midweek injury to Theo Walcott.

The teenager dislocated his shoulder during an England training session ahead of their international friendly against Germany. Wenger had already questioned the value of the fixture and the Frenchman's worst fears were realised when Walcott was ruled out for three months.

That was hard for Wenger to stomach but he refused to apportion blame to the England manager or the football authorities at his pre-match press conference.

"It won't affect my relationship with them [Capello and the FA], not at all," said the Arsenal manager.

"If they had made a mistake, if we had sent Theo Walcott over there and said 'listen, don't play him or don't practise with him because he has a shoulder problem' and they practised with him and he got a dislocated shoulder I would say 'yes', but that is not the case.

"Theo played the whole game against Aston Villa and he went there [to Berlin] to play, and it happened. It is accidental. We live in a job where accidents can happen. He might have had a weakness in there or it was purely accidental because he fell on it."

Walcott is the latest in a long line of Arsenal players who have suffered an injury while on duty with their countries. Nonetheless, Wenger has no intention of following the example of rival clubs and withdrawing his stars from international squads.

"We never withdraw any player," said the Frenchman. "Our players, unless they have a big injury, we send them.

"There are sometimes cases where we send the players and they send them back. We ask [the national sides] to be cautious with them, especially in friendly games, and this usually happens with national teams, because they are not crazy."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Manchester City 3-0 Arsenal wallbash

Barclays Premier League, City of Manchester Stadium

Saturday, November 22, 2008, 15:00

# Ireland 45,
# Robinho 55,
# Sturridge 89

These are tough times for Arsenal.

Arsène Wenger’s side arrived at the City of Manchester Stadium without captain William Gallas and left it with a Premier League mountain to climb after slipping to their fifth defeat of the season.

The crucial goal came from Stephen Ireland at the end of a desperately disjointed first half. Injury-hit and inexperienced, Arsenal did their best to remedy matters after the restart but, in the 56th minute, a delicious finish from Robinho took the game away from them.

A late Daniel Sturridge penalty skewed the scoreline too much in Manchester City’s favour. But the fact remains that Arsenal have to quickly rediscover their spark and their winning habit if they are to have any influence in the title race from here on in.

All the pre-game talk was about Gallas. The back pages had suggested the Frenchman had not boarded the bus to Manchester – and so it proved.

His absence meant Manuel Almunia captained the side on his 100th appearance for the club.

The lack of Gallas only added to Wenger’s problems this afternoon. He was already without Kolo Toure (calf), Cesc Fabregas (suspension), Theo Walcott (shoulder), Emmanuel Eboue (knee), Tomas Rosicky (hamstring) and Eduardo (ankle). While Emmanuel Adebayor was ruled out on the eve of the game after picking up an ankle injury on international duty.

Robin van Persie was back after a ban. Johan Djourou and Alex Song also came into the side while Gavin Hoyte was handed his Premier League debut at right back.

The average age of the side was 23 while the bench was pure Carling Cup - an indication of Arsenal’s injury list going into this crucial encounter.

But while Wenger might have appeared to have the world on his shoulders ahead of the game, the weight would lift slightly with a win of any sort. However another defeat would just put stones in his pockets.

It had been a heavy few days and Arsenal needed to lighten the mood.

Manchester City had problems too so, perhaps understandably, both sides began the game like they were lacking in confidence. It took a full 15 minutes from either team to call a keeper into action. That came when Ireland thumped a low angled drive into the chest of Almunia.

Arsenal were competitive but toothless. Samir Nasri had some moments on the left but they came to nothing.

Manchester City were barely any better. Mark Hughes’ side seemed bereft of inspiration having taken just one point from their previous four games.

The match was a mess for a full 30 minutes and only livened up in the final quarter of the first half.

Darius Vassell crossed low for Benjani to slide a shot inches beyond the far post. Ten minutes before the break, Nasri’s free-kick was parried out to Bendtner whose backheel fell to an unmarked Song eight yards out. The Cameroon midfielder dragged his shot wide when he should at least have hit the target.

It was proving to be meagre Premier League fare. Neither side had much control on proceedings and they lacked the invention to change the situation.

[Linked Image]

Even Manchester City’s goal on the whistle was desperately scrappy. Benjani fed Ireland who tried to bundle his way through the Arsenal defence. Djourou got a touch to divert the ball into path of Clichy. With Silvestre closing in, the left back could only slice to the ball back into the path of Ireland who clipped it over the advancing Almunia.

As poor as they had played, it was hard on Arsenal.

Within two minutes of the restart, the visitors had created more than they had in the first 45. Diaby found space and blazed a shot wide then Clichy sent over a swirling cross into the centre and an off-balance Bendtner volleyed over the bar.

A couple of minutes later Van Persie whipped a free-kick into the side netting.

Arsenal were attacking and on top. So Manchester City’s second came against the run of play. Van Persie was muscled off the ball by Shaun Wright-Phillips in midfield. He threaded a ball forward for the sprinting Robinho. The Brazilian still had a lot to do but his chip over Almunia was exquisite.

Arsenal had it all to do.

Wenger threw on Aaron Ramsey immediately and the Welshman helped set up Bendtner to fire straight at Hart.

However the second goal had effected Arsenal’s youngsters and Manchester City piled on the pressure.

Robinho had the ball in the net soon afterwards only for the strike to be ruled out for offside. Then, with 17 minutes left, the Brazilian had claims for a penalty when his drive hit the arms of Denilson.

The game was now wide open. Manchester City were confident enough to play the ball through the middle, Arsenal were chasing the game so had to chance their arm.

Robinho profited the most. With 12 minutes left, he raced clear rounded Almunia and only a desperate Djourou prevented a third by blocking the ball on the line.

It was the Brazilian’s last contribution of a sparkling afternoon. He got a knock in the act of shooting and was replaced by Dietmar Hamann.

Arsenal stayed competitive until the end and even had the ball in the net just before full-time when Van Persie flicked the ball away from Hart as he took a goal-kick and planted it home. The Dutchman was booked for his trouble.

In injury time, Djourou was somehow adjudged to have fouled substitute Daniel Sturridge on the byline and the youngster scored from the spot.

It made the scoreline harsh on Arsenal but, right now, little is going their way.

It is a time for belief and at least the travelling fans showed that quality with a stirring showing from the stands.

The team will need them in the wake of this result.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'How we deal with this will shape our future'

On the emphatic scoreline…
"We had a good focus and I believe it is a flattering victory for Manchester City today. We conceded in stoppage time [at the end of the first-half] and before that they had not created much. We were quite in control but after the goal the game turned and they played on the counter-attack. We played into their hands.

"We lacked the maturity to deal with being in a dominant situation and not getting caught; it was a free-kick to us, then a goal for them. After that the third goal was a soft penalty."

On keeping to his principles…
"It is a defeat but I feel in the game it was a 0-0 with whoever scored first gaining the advantage. I believe in good passing rather than putting a man up there waving his hands in the air."

On a scrappy first goal …
"I think the first goal was a miss-kick rather than a lack of fight. We had too many players focussing on one ball, that was our problem then."

On the absentees…
"I won’t talk about William Gallas. He is just a player who did not play today so we don’t need to talk about that or any of the other nine players who missed the game."

On moving forward from here …
"I think we had enough focus and gave everything. It is not always negative and we have to take the positives and keep the belief. In a big club you have to go through these periods, and how we deal with it will shape our future."

On the importance of self assessment …
"I always look at myself, even when we win. We are not in a blaming culture at our club and we must stand up to our own responsibilities."

On realistic targets…
"I believe we must focus on the next game and not have set targets that don’t look immediately reachable. Lets try to win and see where we go from here. I have had worse weeks!"

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Clichy – I hope Gallas can bounce back

Gael Clichy hopes that William Gallas is able to return to top form despite losing the Arsenal captaincy.

The 31-year-old was originally handed the armband following the departure of Thierry Henry in 2007 but, in the wake of his quotes in the media last week, Arsène Wenger has brought in Cesc Fabregas as a replacement.
Speaking ahead of Tuesday's clash with Dynamo Kyiv, Clichy was full of support for his compatriot, certain that his quality will shine through.

"He has been sensational for us and I really hope he can play his best football now," said the left back at Monday's pre-match press conference. "Like everyone, I think that he is a great player and he made some good games for us.

"I think it is really unlucky what happened with William and I want to say I respect him. What happened has happened. Maybe some people will say he shouldn't have said those things but I'm happy for him that he is playing again and I'm sure we can do great things together."

Gallas' brief tenure as captain bore no silverware for Arsenal but Clichy does not think that the former Chelsea stopper can be blamed for that.

"Last year wasn't great because we didn't win anything but for seven months we were on top and William didn't get any critics then," he went on.

"Since one game and one moment, things changed. That was when the media tried to get people to think William was not good enough."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Clichy - Fabregas deserves his new role

Gael Clichy has backed Arsène Wenger’s decision to install Cesc Fabregas as Arsenal’s new captain.

The Spaniard was given the job on Monday as a replacement for William Gallas. Fabregas may only be 21 but Clichy, a ‘veteran’ himself at 23, believes he has the right mentality to excel in the role.

“It is a new start and I hope Cesc will do well,” said the left back. “I'm sure he will.

"When he started in the team everyone was saying he was too young to have so much responsibility but he has shown he can handle a team and put in good performances.

"I'm one of the older players now but, it's not only about age, it's more about togetherness. Of course I will do my best to help my team-mates and I'm sure all the players will give him all the support he needs to be one of the best.

"I'm not scared of saying that he is the key player in the squad so he deserves the respect of the boss.

"His performances over the last couple of years have been fantastic and so I feel it is a good choice.

"For example when we played this year against Sunderland, we were losing 1-0 but he scored the header and we drew the game. That shows the character of Cesc.

"And, last year against Milan he scored a goal that makes you feel this kind of player is really important in the team.

"The only thing Cesc has to do now is play his best football. I'm really happy for him and I'm sure he will do well."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger: 'This could be a new start for Gallas

Arsène Wenger has the highest respect for William Gallas and believes that his decision to relieve the French defender of the Arsenal captaincy could turn out be a “new start”.

The 31-year-old has been under intense media scrutiny ever since quotes attributed to him appeared in the French media last week.

As a result, he missed the defeat at Manchester City on Saturday and, two days later, it was announced that Cesc Fabregas would be taking the armband from the Kyiv game onwards.

Despite all that, Wenger holds Gallas in the highest regard and has sympathy for his predicament in recent days.

[Linked Image]

“I rate William as a player and a man,” said the manager. “I have a big respect for him. But he was working as a captain in a very difficult media environment.

“He was under big pressure from the press and at some stage you don’t want that high pressure to effect him or the team.

“Suggestions are suggestions, I cannot stop them. But for me William is a player who is committed to the Club.

“I also think he could be stronger as a player now because previously he took all the problems of the team to his heart. I think this could be a new start for him and he can get stronger as a player.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Fabregas will be one of many leaders

Arsène Wenger insists that new captain Cesc Fabregas cannot lead the team alone.

Wenger has long championed the need for “shared leadership” on the pitch and the manager does not think that Fabregas’ appointment as skipper will change that.

At 21, the Spaniard is one of the younger players in the squad and, speaking at Monday's press conference, his manager was keen to highlight how important the rest of the team will be to the midfielder’s tenure with the armband.

“I believe that personally the captain is the voice of the club towards the outside,” said Wenger at Monday’s pre-match press conference. “Of course he is one of the leaders of the team but I have told you many times that I do not believe in one providential man in the dressing room that sorts out all the problems.

“A successful team has a shared leadership inside the dressing room and he will be one of the leaders but not the only one. It is very important that we share that leadership inside the dressing room.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Fabregas - The captaincy is a great honour

Cesc Fabregas has described his elevation to the Arsenal captaincy as “a great honour”.

The Spaniard was handed the armband on Monday as a replacement for William Gallas.

At 21, Fabregas is one of the youngest captains in the Club’s long history and he admits it will be emotional experience to lead the side out for the first time against FC Dynamo Kyiv on Tuesday night.

[Linked Image]

"It is a great honour for me to captain one of the biggest clubs in the world,” said Fabregas. “It is a proud moment. I know it's a big responsibility but together with my team-mates, I know we have the spirit and commitment to get back to winning ways and fulfil our potential."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 1-0 FC Dynamo Kyiv

UEFA Champions League, Emirates Stadium

Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 19:45

* Bendtner 86

Nicklas Bendtner struck a late winner against Dynamo Kyiv on Tuesday night to secure Arsenal’s passage through to the Knockout Stages of the Champions League.

There were less than four minutes left when the Dane controlled a long pass forward from Cesc Fabregas and thumped home the only goal from 10 yards out.

It was a sweet end to the Spaniard’s first match as Arsenal captain and just about deserved on the night.

Arsène Wenger’s side started brightly and should have lead before the break but they faded in the final 30 minutes and the eventual winner came when Kyiv were starting to fancy their chances.

Still a win is a win. And Arsenal have been bereft of good fortune in recent weeks.

This was hardly the dawn of a new age but it was a welcome fillip.

And that will do for now.

All eyes were on Fabregas and William Gallas ahead of the game. Both had missed the defeat at Manchester City, but the Spaniard returned to take up his new role as skipper. The Frenchman was back in the side aswell but, in the circumstances, under barely any less pressure.

[Linked Image]

Speaking of pressure, Wenger had tonnes of the stuff right now. An indifferent set of results had come about amidst (or because of) a lengthy injury list.

The latest were Samir Nasri (knee) and Abou Diaby (abdominal), who joined the queue at the treatment table after picking up knocks in training on Monday. But they were well behind the likes Kolo Toure (calf), Theo Walcott (shoulder), Emmanuel Eboue (knee), Tomas Rosicky (hamstring), Bacary Sagna (ankle), Emmanuel Adebayor (ankle), Eduardo (ankle).

That meant Aaron Ramsey came in on the right of midfield with Denilson moving to the left to accommodate Alex Song and Fabregas in the middle. Carlos Vela joined Robin van Persie up front so Bendtner dropped to the bench. Gavin Hoyte, a Premier League debutant on Saturday, was also named as a substitute.

It is too much to say this was a brand new Arsenal but there was certainly a very different feel in the opening stages.

Kyiv needed to win to keep their Champions League hopes alive. Technically Arsenal needed a win but, in reality, a draw would probably be enough.

Wenger’s men started with intent. Vela seemed determined to build on his Carling Cup potential and set up Ramsey to fire a shot straight at Stanilsav Bogush after nine minutes.

In fact the Welshman would have all four of Arsenal’s chances in the opening half-hour. However perhaps only that first one, and his slashed effort over the bar, were truly worthy of mention.

Kyiv were happy to play on the break and, though it seemed dangerous, little was created.

In the 35th minute, Van Persie twisted and turned in the area before firing off a shot that bounced off the body of the Bogush. The Kyiv keeper was coming under increasing pressure as Arsenal’s movement pulled apart the defence in front of him.

Gallas even had the ball in the net soon afterwards but he was clearly offside when he flicked the ball home.

However, just as Arsenal looked ready to take control, the visitors nearly scored. Gallas slipped and Ismael Bangoura raced through on the left. His sidefoot hit the outside of the near post and went behind.

The Ukrainians had a let off of their own five minutes from the whistle when Van Persie whipped in a free-kick and Mikael Silvestre knocked the ball over the bar from five yards out.

The half-time interval changed little. A couple of minutes in, Fabregas curled a free-kick to the far post where Van Persie collected. The Dutchman’s first effort came back off the keeper and his second was blocked by Gallas when it might have been going in.

Yet again Arsenal looked ready to take over. But yet again Kyiv responded with their best chances. Bangoura fired wide before Olexandr Aliyev crashed a drive in to the chest of Alumunia.

Suddenly the game looked wide open. Arsenal had been broadly on top throughout the game but Kyiv were now playing cup football.

However the impetus did not last and it was no surprise to see Wenger bring on Bendtner for Ramsey midway through the half. Jack Wilshere replaced Vela for the final 15 minutes. In doing so he became Arsenal’s youngest ever European player at 16 years 329 days.

The youngster had not touched the ball when Almunia saved point-blank from Artem Milevsky. The entire Arsenal defence was waiting for an offside flag that never came and the Spaniard’s stop was crucial.

But Arsenal could have sealed their passage through a minute later when Bendtner arrived inches too late to meet Van Persie’s penetrating low ball across the face of goal.

After that it seemed that Arsenal had settled for the point. With Porto winning in Fenerbache it was good enough in any case.

Bendtner’s quality finish made sure. However it was pretty incongruent with the run of play at that time. Aliyev’s second yellow card for pushing the referee was stranger still.

Still Arsenal go through. Let’s hope they have regained all their former strength by the time the Knockout stages comes around in February.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wilshere is youngest European Gunner

Jack Wilshere has become the youngest Arsenal player to represent the Club in European competition.

When he replaced Carlos Vela against Dynamo Kyiv on Tuesday night he set a new mark at 16 years and 329 days.

[Linked Image]

The previous youngest was Theo Walcott who was 17 years and 129 days when Arsenal played against Dinamo Zagreb at Emirates Stadium on 23 August 2006.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'Winning this game is the first step for us'

On leaving it late against Dynamo Kyiv…
“Yes we left it late but I felt that it was a more steady than spectacular performance and for us it was important to come back to win the game. I believe that Kyiv defended very well and until now they had not conceded a goal away from home in the Champions League. They drew 0-0 at Fenerbahce and won 1-0 in Porto and you could see why tonight. They were very well organised and they gave us no time on the ball. At the moment the fact that we were less spontaneous in our game gave us a big problem.

“Winning is a first step for us because the team needs a bit of reassurance and at least the win will give us that.”

On Nicklas Bendtner’s impact from the bench…
“It is a great goal and it is not handball you can see that on the replay. It was not taken on his arm and it is not handball like Kyiv complained. It was a great goal because first, it was a fantastic ball from Fabregas, and then it was a good touch and a good finish.

“I am very happy for him because I felt he was a bit disturbed recently, maybe because of a lack of confidence. That will give him the needed confidence.”

On Cesc Fabregas’ first outing as club captain…
“He was very good tonight, he was focussed for 90 minutes and he worked hard both offensively and defensively. It was not easy in midfield because they closed us down very well there. I expected Kyiv to drop a little bit in the second half but they didn’t and overall I think Cesc had a very good game.

On the performance of William Gallas…
“I believe that his focus was great and he wanted to do well. You could see that he was completely committed at the back and it was not an easy performance for the defence tonight. Overall I feel he did well.

“The crowd responded very well and that means that they acknowledge that he was a committed captain. I was very happy that the crowd responded in a positive way to him.”

On the role of the younger players…
“Aaron Ramsey worked very hard and Carlos Vela looked good during his hour and he worked very hard. Afterwards he did drop a bit physically because he is not used to playing at that level. Jack Wilshere, when he came on, did extremely well. He has big composure on the ball and he doesn’t look fazed at all and he has done very well.”

On Manuel Almunia’s crucial save at 0-0…
“It was a turning point in the game I feel. In this kind of game, the keeper always has to make a save and he did just that at the right moment.” [img:center]'Winning this game is the first step for us'[/img]

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Injured trio could return for Chelsea trip

Arsène Wenger could welcome back Emmanuel Adebayor, Samir Nasri and Bacary Sagna to his squad for Sunday’s trip to Stamford Bridge.

Adebayor and Sagna (both ankle) missed the weekend defeat at Manchester City while Nasri picked up a knee injury during training on Monday morning. However Wenger rated the trio’s chances of a return at 50:50.

“Before tonight’s game we had nine injured players,” said the Frenchman at Tuesday’s post-match press conference.

“We have three players that we hope can be candidates for Sunday. That is Bacary Sagna, Samir Nasri and Emmanuel Adebayor. Injured trio could return for Chelsea trip

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Adebayor - Chelsea win shows our character

If proof were needed of the character in Arsenal's squad, Emmanuel Adebayor feels that Sunday's game at Stamford Bridge provided it.

The Togo striker set up the winning goal for Robin van Persie as Arsène Wenger's side bounced back from a half-time deficit to beat Chelsea 2-1 and keep their title hopes alive.

Some had questioned Arsenal's unity ahead of the London derby following two successive Premier League defeats and a change of captaincy. Adebayor believes those critics have been proved wrong.

"It was a very good win," he said. "We needed character and we went through a very difficult moment and people wrote us off in the Premier League but the message we have sent out is that we have a good team.

"We have always been together and we have forgotten what happened before. We always believe that we can do something and that is what we tried to show today."

A defeat at Chelsea would have left Arsenal 13 points adrift of their London rivals, a gap that Wenger described as "too much". Whatever the result, Adebayor would not have given up hope.

"If we had lost we would have never said the title race was over for us," he said. "We had to keep on going until the end of the season. We know we have a great team and a great squad and we are ready for it.

"Winning [at Chelsea] means everybody can say we are keeping our title dreams alive but the main thing is to keep going. Maybe we have a little bit more concentration for the big teams and that is something we are going to work on very hard. We all believe in the boss. He is here to help us and we are here to help the fans.

"These are the things we are going to discuss in the dressing room so we can do better against the lower teams."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Silvestre, Vela, Bendtner to start at Burnley

Mikael Silvestre, Carlos Vela and Nicklas Bendtner are all likely to start for Arsenal at Burnley on Tuesday in the Carling Cup Quarter-Finals.

Arsène Wenger has said he intends to play a young side through this competition this season but, as ever, will utilise the bench from the previous Premier League game at Turf Moor. That means these three internationals will be involved.

However, overall it will be another young Arsenal side on display in Lancashire and a couple of injuries against Chelsea have given the Frenchman less room for manoeuvre.

Johan Djourou (hip), Manuel Almunia (head) and William Gallas (calf) all left Stamford Bridge with knocks. The last of those is the most serious and even that was described by Wenger as “light” but, as a result, he’ll be taking no risks.

“It will be the usual team for us,” Wenger told Arsenal TV Online on Monday. “But then with all the players we have out it may be even younger than before.

“The players who were on the bench at Chelsea will be involved but those who started will not.

“That means Silvestre will play and so will Fabianski of course. We have some other first-team players [that] will play too – Vela and Bendtner.

“But we cannot play Djourou for example, he was injured at Chelsea. Gallas as well has a little calf problem. Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Eboue are not back so they will not be involved.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger names 18-man squad for Carling Cup

Arsène Wenger has named an 18-man squad for tonight's Carling Cup Fourth-Round tie against Burnley at Turf Moor.

The squad is as follows...

12 Carlos VELA
16 Aaron RAMSEY
18 Mikael SILVESTRE
19 Jack WILSHERE
21 Lukasz FABIANSKI (GK)
24 Vito MANNONE (GK)
26 Nicklas BENDTNER
28 Amaury BISCHOFF
35 Francis COQUELIN
40 Kieran GIBBS
41 Gavin HOYTE
42 Henri LANSBURY
43 Fran MERIDA
47 Mark RANDALL
49 Paul RODGERS
50 Jay SIMPSON
51 Rene STEER
56 Emmanuel FRIMPONG

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Burnley 2-0 Arsenal

Carling Cup, Turf Moor

Tuesday, December 02, 2008, 19:45

McDonald 6, 58

Arsenal's Carling Cup adventure is over for another year.

Kevin McDonald was the chief party pooper, scoring early in either half to earn Burnley a third Premier League scalp in this season's competition and take the Clarets into the Semi-Finals. Arsène Wenger's young side had their chances but simply weren't as clinical as their Turf Moor hosts.

They also found an inspired goalkeeper blocking their path. Nicklas Bendtner, Mark Randall and Carlos Vela were all denied by Brian Jensen in the first half while Fran Merida shot inches wide after a dazzling run into the box shortly after the break. If only McDonald had been as profligate at the other end.

This defeat will hurt for a while but Arsenal's youngsters will feel the benefits for a lot longer. After brushing aside Sheffield United and Wigan on home soil, this was a different kind of challenge but, all the same, it is a valuable part of their footballing education. Expect to see a lot more from these players in the not-too-distant future.

As ever Wenger gave youth a chance in the Carling Cup, but there was one notable old head in his line-up. Mikael Silvestre partnered debutant Paul Rodgers in central defence as Johan Djourou and Alex Song - both contributors to Sunday's win at Chelsea - dropped out from the side which beat Wigan in the Fourth Round. There was a third change, Bendtner starting up front in place of Jay Simpson.

[Linked Image]

The young Gunners saw off Sheffield United and Wigan in style at Emirates Stadium in the previous rounds but this was a different - and arguably tougher - test. Shorn of their home comforts, the teenagers were faced with one of the Championship's in-form sides, and one which had already dumped Fulham and Chelsea out of the competition. The conditions weren't ideal either - much of the North-West had been treated to a pre-Christmas dusting of snow in the build-up to the tie and, by the time the teams emerged from the warmth of the dressing rooms, the temperature had nudged below freezing.

Unfortunately Arsenal were caught cold after five minutes. Sixty seconds after Bendtner had forced his way into the box only to prod the ball at Jensen's legs, Burnley took the lead. Chris Eagles slung over a low cross from the right flank, Lukasz Fabianski failed to cling on under pressure from Martin Paterson, and McDonald side-footed the rebound into an empty net.

After running riot in their two previous ties, the Arsenal kids were behind for the first time in the competition. This would be a test of their mettle.

They responded well. Five minutes after his first chance, Bendtner latched onto Vela's clever flick and shrugged off the attentions of Steven Caldwell but, once again, his finish lacked conviction and Jensen blocked gratefully. Merida tested the Dane with a dipping volley shortly afterwards but, after a promising spell, Arsenal got careless.

Aaron Ramsey, Randall and Rodgers all lost possession in dangerous areas and Burnley, looking every inch the promotion hopefuls they are, should have taken advantage. With the impressive Eagles offering a lively outlet on the right, Paterson finding space up front and wily old Robbie Blake in support, the hosts carved out a handful of decent chances. Eagles saw his shot deflect into the side-netting, Paterson shot straight at Fabianski and the same man almost snaffled a rebound after Fabianski - uncharacteristically - spilled another effort.

The game could have been over after that spell but, to Arsenal's relief, it wasn't. The visitors set about restoring parity but, not for the first time, found Jensen blocking their path. Just after the half-hour mark the Burnley keeper stood up well to block a fierce shot from Randall after a wonderful flick from Bendtner left the midfielder through on goal in acres of space. Four minutes later Jensen denied Vela in yet another one-on-one. Burnley's hero in their penalty shoot-out at Chelsea was the headline act again.

The attacking philosophy of both teams had made for a watchable first half and that continued after the break. But only one team was taking its chances - and it wasn't Arsenal.

Once again, the hosts scored shortly after the visitors should have done. Merida's jinking run into the box bewildered three defenders but his finish curled just wide of an upright. At the other end, McDonald's own curling shot landed just inside an upright to leave Fabianski beaten again. Arsenal had been caught napping from a quickly-taken throw on the right, giving McDonald the chance to scamper clear of Randall. Ultimately the Burnley man's clinical finishing had made the difference.

Wenger brought on Simpson - scorer of a brace in the previous round - and he was quickly into the action, firing a shot straight at Jensen after the ball had broken for him just inside the box. But gaps were appearing at the other end and Paterson should have put the tie to bed when Blake's cross picked him out at the far post. Paterson couldn't get enough purchase on his header and Fabianski parried before clutching the rebound.

Arsenal's youngsters kept their heads up and continued to play their football, but Burnley kept them at bay. No matter. On the evidence of this season's competition, Arsenal's Carling Cup kids have the potential to become Premier League regulars.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'It is good education for our young players'

On the game...
"We played quite well. We had six one-on-ones with the keeper and we lost 2-0, that sums it up quite well. They had the fraction of focus and superiority in front goal that we lacked tonight and that made a difference. But overall we lost a game we shouldn't have lost."

On the positives from the defeat...
"Many of our players were not fazed by the game. They expressed their talent and many of them gave absolutely everything. But in front of goal you need to be much more clinical than we were tonight. I felt we were quite naive in the way we took our chances."

On whether an Arsenal goal would have changed the tie...
"Yes, of course. It was always us chasing the game with them playing on the counter-attack. It is the easiest way to deal with the game. I believe as well the regret we have is that we had the first chance and some easy chances we missed. For a very young team it is difficult to chase the game for 90 minutes and not concede a goal on the counter-attack."

On the second goal...
"Yes we were caught out because it started with a throw-in and we did not re-position ourselves quickly enough. That is a question of concentration."

On why he reshuffled the back four at half-time...
"Because we had a lot of the ball and we had to build the game out from the back. I wanted more offensive players at the back to do that. We were uncomfortable at the start because we had real defenders in so we needed more offensive players there."

On Burnley's quality...
"I wasn't surprised because I saw them before and I felt they were of the same quality as Sheffield United and Wigan. Wigan was perhaps better quality but I was not surprised by Burnley. I was surprised by how much of the ball Burnley had."

On the atmosphere at Turf Moor...
"It was enjoyable. It was good to see the whole crowd behind the team."

On the value of this Carling Cup run...
"It is good education for our young players and you see those who have the quality to cope with the pressure, and those are not completely up to it yet."

On the first goal conceded...
"We were a bit unlucky. We were caught on the left side on the cross and our keeper was a bit unlucky I think. But they were always dangerous on that flank."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Fabregas – My future belongs at Arsenal FC

Cesc Fabregas has re-affirmed his desire to stay at Arsenal.

The newly-installed captained was linked with a transfer to Milan this morning after he was quoted as saying if he ever moved to Italy he would join the Rossoneri.

However, speaking to Arsenal.com on Thursday afternoon, the 21-year-old once again talked of his happiness and fulfilment at Emirates Stadium.

“It is true that I said I admire Milan for their rich history and the way they play football but that is as far as the story goes,” said Fabregas.

“I am honoured to be wearing the captain’s armband for Arsenal and I am 100 per cent committed to this Club. My future is here.” daumenhoch

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Gallas out but Toure back for Wigan clash

Arsène Wenger had good news and bad news when he discussed his injury list with Arsenal TV Online on Thursday afternoon.

The Arsenal manager will be without William Gallas on Saturday after the French defender failed to shake off the calf injury he suffered during Sunday's win at Chelsea. However, Kolo Toure's own calf problem has eased and he is available to face Wigan.

Johan Djourou (hip) is also fit, giving Wenger plenty of options at the back, while Emmanuel Eboue could also return after five weeks out with a knee injury.

"We certainly lose Gallas for Saturday but we have of course Mikael Silvestre, who will be available," said Wenger. "We have Kolo Toure available again and he is more suited to playing on the right side [of central defence]. We will see until Saturday how well he is.

"Eboue could be back in the group and Diaby [abdominal strain] could be available from next week onwards. Djourou is fine."

Theo Walcott (shoulder) and Tomas Rosicky (hamstring) are still sidelined but Eduardo's return seems imminent. "As soon as possible he will play now," confirmed Wenger. "He is joining in full training matches but he needs games now."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Rosicky to return in March 'at the earliest'

Tomas Rosicky will be back in March “at the earliest”.

The Czech midfielder was last seen in an Arsenal shirt on January 26 when he hobbled off after nine minutes of the FA Cup tie with Newcastle at Emirates Stadium.

The problem turned out to be his hamstring tendon and, according to Arsène Wenger, “the recovery period was slower than expected”. Rosicky underwent revision surgery a month ago in Germany. He returns to this country in 10 days’ time to continue his rehabilitation. But it will be well into the New Year before the 27-year-old plays again.

"He's doing rehab at the moment,” said Wenger. “He's back here on December 17 and then hopefully we can start to work with him. But it's a long-term prospect - maybe March at the earliest.”

However, as revealed by Arsenal.com on Saturday, there is much better news about the other long-term absentee - Eduardo.

"He will play on December 16 in the reserve team,” said Wenger.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Toure - Eboue's a great lad who loves Arsenal

Kolo Toure was surprised at the reaction of certain sections of the Arsenal crowd to Emmanuel Eboue’s substitution on Saturday.

The midfielder, a 32nd-minute replacement for Samir Nasri, made a couple of mistakes late in a tight, tense game against Wigan on Saturday and, as a result, was brought off for Mikael Silvestre. Some supporters cheered Arsène Wenger’s decision but Toure felt that was uncalled for, unusual and unfair.

“Eboue had an injury for six weeks and this was his first game,” said the centre back.

“We had some injuries and that is why the boss put him on and he played well.

“At the end he had a difficult time but we need to give him credit because he was not 100 per cent however he had to play because of our injuries and he did well.

“The fans gave him a hard time and that is unusual at Arsenal. I was surprised because normally our fans are [always] nice. I think the tension was really high and that is why they were hard. In the end we had three points and that is good. He will have a chat with the boss and I think he will come back.

“We need him and he is a strong boy. I’ll call him, he will also have a chat with the manager on Monday and then he will be fine.

“I just want to tell the fans that he is a great lad, he loves the Club and wants to do his best for the Club. Sometimes, when you come back from a six-week injury you cannot give 200 per cent. We hope that next time they will help him to come back. That is the only way to behave.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 1-0 Wigan Athletic

Barclays Premier League, Emirates Stadium

Saturday, December 06, 2008, 15:00

* Adebayor 16

Having barged their way back into the title race with a win at Chelsea last weekend, Arsenal kept up the pressure at the top with a hard-fought 1-0 victory against Wigan on Saturday.

Arsène Wenger’s side were below par for much of the game and were handed the crucial goal in the 16th minute when an error allowed Emmanuel Adebayor to slot home from close range.

Wigan will argue they deserved a point. Manuel Almunia made a couple of stunning saves and there were claims for a penalty when Kolo Toure challenged Antonio Valencia. However Arsenal had the better chances, hit the post twice and exerted more control as the game went on.

In addition, they had Robin van Persie in sparkling form. On another day the Dutchman might have bagged a brace. Certainly he was most inventive player on show this afternoon.

But, despite his notable contribution, on the whole this game was forgettable fare. Still, this was the sort of Premier League win that Arsenal have failed to gather in with consistency this season.

As nervous as this victory was, it garnered the same amount of points Wenger’s men had taken from Stamford Bridge last Sunday.

The manager has admitted his side are still in the process of rebuilding their confidence and this win will have helped. Arsenal have a long journey to make and this was a tentative first step on the road back.

Wenger made one enforced change from the side that had won so crucially at Chelsea last Saturday. Even that was a straight swap at centre half with William Gallas (calf) dropping out and Kolo Toure coming back into the side after recovering from a similar injury.

Otherwise it was the same team with the same formation as, for the second time in a month, Arsenal looked to build on a win against one of the Big Four.

However the victory over Manchester United back on November 8 had been a false dawn. This was very much Arsenal’s second chance and maybe their last if they were to be any more than also-rans in the title shake-up.

There were concerning signs of a previous lethargy in the opening few minutes. Despite having been beaten 3-0 in the Carling Cup on November 11, Wigan showed admirable ambition.

In the opening minutes a shot from Wilson Palacios was diverted on by Emile Heskey and Almunia had to re-adjust to save low to his left.

Games turn on such incidents and Arsenal would make Wigan pay in the 16th minute, albeit with a touch of good fortune.

Cesc Fabregas prodded a regulation ball forward which seemed to go through Alex Song and his marker Titus Bramble on the edge of the area. Adebayor was waiting just behind them and had the simple job of collecting then stroking a shot past Chris Kirkland. A gift of a goal.

Van Persie nearly added another soon afterwards but Emmerson Boyce blocked his shot. However the Dutchman claimed the Barbados international had nudged him as he burst into the area.

Despite that Arsenal were not at their best. It was not exactly a poor performance just rather flat and lacking in invention.

Just before the half-hour, Almunia had to make another fine save from Antonio Valencia. The Ecuadorian had been flagged offside before he stole in at the far post to meet Ryan Taylor’s free-kick but that the keeper did not know that at the time.

A couple of minutes later Samir Nasri was replaced by Emmanuel Eboue. Earlier the Frenchman had been subject to a clattering challenge from Palacios. As a result, Nasri received treatment, the Honduran received a yellow card.

The change left Arsenal somewhat unbalanced in midfield and that was in keeping with their display. The home side had the goal but they hardly were dominating proceedings.

Two minutes before the break, Adebayor slammed an effort high over the bar. Along with the goal, Van Persie’s blocked shot and an early Nasri drive, that was the sum total their first-half chances. It was hardly the overwhelming Arsenal of old.

However, in injury time they did carve out another clear-cut chance. Denilson raced down the right and cut the ball back for Adebayor. His rasping low shot was touched onto the post by Kirkland. It would have been harsh on Wigan had it gone in.

The visitors started the second half on the front foot. Taylor fizzed a free-kick through a crowded area and then Emile Heskey nodded weakly at Almunia from five yards when he should have scored.

Arsenal were stung and the crowd were becoming restless. The team reacted with Van Persie firing wide and Bacary Sagna’s header forcing Kirkland into action at the near post.

Just before the hour, Wigan claimed a penalty when Toure challenged Henri Camara in the area but referee Steve Bennett was unmoved. Arsenal went up the other end and nearly scored. Denilson won the ball on the right and passed square to Van Persie. The Dutchman won himself a little space and curled a low shot inches past Kirkland’s right-hand post. A wonderful piece of work.

Van Persie was now Arsenal’s main attacking outlet. In the 63rd minute he waltzed around Bramble only to be hauled down by Lee Cattermole on the edge of the area. The 25-year-old took the free-kick himself and fired it just over the bar.

For the first time in the game, Arsenal were exerting real control and in the 65th minute they were nearly rewarded when Denilson hammered a shot against the post from the edge of the area.

However Wigan were not finished. Heskey’s near-post header was diverted wide. The resulting corner fell to Mario Melchiot eight yards out and the veteran defender sent in a powerful shot on the turn. Almunia threw himself at the ball and clawed it away from point-blank range. A stunning stop.

Suddenly the game had found its spark. Adebayor had two excellent chances to get the killer second and, following a scramble from a corner, Sagna volleyed wastefully wide.

However Arsenal were still finding it impossible to keep Wigan at bay. With 16 minutes left, Heskey found Valencia in space of the right and he slashed his shot wide.

By now, Steve Bruce had brought on striker Amr Zaki as he pushed for an equaliser. As dangerous as the visitors were, Arsenal remained the side more likely to score. In the dying minutes a Fabregas corner nearly crept in at the near post.

But, with the score at 1-0, Wigan still had hope and desire. In the 90th minute, Heskey powered a header a few inches over the bar.

The visitors continued to press and Arsenal endured a nerve-jangling three minutes of injury time.

When the whistle came, it was a blessed relief but, from an Arsenal perspective, the points were secure.

Seite 21 von 41 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 40 41

Moderated by  toubi 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Winamax VfB Stuttgart
Winamax VfB Stuttgart VIP Tickets Gewinnspiel
Gewinnspiele
UMFRAGE EM-Torschützen Cup
von grottenoli - 19/04/2024 18:48
500 € Tippspiel EUROPA-Torschützen.
von pik7 - 19/04/2024 16:05
550 € DFB-Pokal Torschützencup 23/24
von pik7 - 05/04/2024 20:19
Betano - Welcome
Wer ist jetzt online
20 members (Flip160, doogie, grottenoli, Hackentrick, BjoernT4Y, Bambi, AllesSuper, ghk225, dragoon, Bartho01), 2,682 Gäste, und 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Poster(30 Tage)
Haiefan 96
pik7 52
Forum Statistiken
Forum25
Themen1,440
Beiträge121,312
Mitglieder3,864
Am meisten online8,723
Feb 16th, 2016
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Spielen mit Verantwortung - Responsible Gaming
Wetten Sie nicht über ihre Verhältnisse.

Wenn Sie oder jemanden, den Sie kennen, ein Problem mit Spielsucht hat, raten wir Ihnen, dass Sie Hilfe von einer dieser anerkannten Organisationen in Betracht ziehen:

18+ Glücksspiel kann süchtig machen - Hilfe finden Sie auf www.bzga.de

Gamblers Anonymous
Webseite www.gamblersanonymous.org

Gambling Therapy
Webseite www.gamblingtherapy.org

Weiterführende Links finden Sie auch außerdem weiter unten bei unseren Partnerseiten.

Unsere Partner & Links:
Bundesliga Tippspiel - Forum Gluecksspielsucht - gamCare - begambleaware - Wettbonus - Wettbasis - Flashscore
DATENSCHUTZ
IMPRESSUM