bet365
Winamax VfB Stuttgart
Winamax VfB Stuttgart VIP Tickets Gewinnspiel
ShoutChat
Kommentarrichtlinien: Posten Sie respektvolle und aufschlussreiche Kommentare. Kein Flamen, Hassen, Spam.
Neuste Mitglieder
Fancy_Franzi, Gamera, danny, gRuBer, Sport
3,864 Registrierte Mitglieder
bwin - Sportwetten Bonus
Bookie-News
Winamax Bonus Aktionen
von BjoernT4Y - 18/03/2024 16:48
Geburtstage heute
Es gibt keine Mitglieder mit Geburtstagen an diesem Tag.
Vorheriger Thread
Nächster Thread
Thread drucken
Bewertung: 5
Seite 24 von 41 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 40 41
Beigetreten: Dec 2007
braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Van Persie learned from Bergkamp

When Robin van Persie arrived at Arsenal, he became the apprentice to Dennis Bergkamp's sorcerer. Now, according to Arsène Wenger, the in-form Dutchman is ready to emulate his distinguished mentor.

Bergkamp is of course a bonafide Arsenal legend. His record of 120 goals in 423 appearances is impressive enough but he was a seminal signing back in 1995 as the Gunners swapped their 'boring' tag for a 'scoring' one. Bergkamp became the creative hub of Wenger's most successful sides and took Van Persie under his wing when the then 20-year-old moved from Feyenoord to Arsenal.

Nearly five years on, Van Persie's transformation from raw individual to accomplished team player is virtually complete. He has scored or set up every Arsenal goal in 2009 and is a shoo-in for the O2 Arsenal.com Player of the Month for January award - his third in a row.

Wenger attributes much of Van Persie's success to the player's own desire and ability. But the Arsenal manager believes that the timing of Van Persie's arrival in North London also helped - because Bergkamp was in the twilight of his career and ready to pass on his knowledge.

"At the start we gave him Dennis Bergkamp as a role model and he is growing into that role very well. Just look at the numbers," said Wenger. "He is more of a goalscorer than Dennis and I think he has developed his vision and passing well.

"Robin respected Dennis and listened to his advice. He arrived when Dennis was already 33, 34 so he accepted to play that kind of master advice [role]. It was not anymore about him [Van Persie] taking his place. He wanted to help him.

"I believe that Robin is passionate about the game. He was a little bit sidelined in Holland when we bought him and [during the] first year we observed him when he was more on the bench. In fact we watched him more in the Reserves than in the first team.

"When he arrived here it was a big move for him physically and mentally but I believe he has survived because of his talent and his intelligence but mainly because of his passion for the game. He wanted absolutely to make it. He has developed less on his individual talent than as a team player. "

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Eduardo - My road back to the first team

Although he didn't make it onto the pitch at White Hart Lane, Eduardo's presence on the bench for Sunday's North London derby was a heartwarming sight for Arsenal's fans and a significant step on the Croatian's road to recovery.

Speaking to Arsenal TV Online before the Spurs game, Eduardo revealed the latest on his fitness levels and reflected on his long journey back from the sickening injury he suffered at Birmingham last February.

Subscribers can now both parts of this exclusive interview:

Part one
Eduardo discusses his fitness levels, how close he feels to a first-team return, Arsène Wenger's advice to him, his hat-trick in a training ground friendly, how his team-mates have treated him, his comeback for the Reserves, support from the Arsenal fans and getting over the mental scars

Part two
Eduardo on whether he has changed since his injury, whether Martin Taylor's tackle still bothers him, the messages of support, how the fans have treated him, why he will have 'butterflies' when he returns to the first team, the need for patience, the pressure of scoring goals and meeting with Slaven Bilic.

Subscribers can watch this exclusive interview now.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Managers must show loyalty too

Arsène Wenger believes that loyalty is a two-way street when it comes to football club management.

In a week which saw Luiz Felipe Scolari sacked by Chelsea and Tony Adams relieved of his duties at Portsmouth, Wenger's longevity at Highbury and now Emirates Stadium looks all the more impressive.

The Frenchman has seen a whole host of Premier League managers come and go since he joined Arsenal more than 12 years ago but he was still "surprised" to see Scolari and Adams given so little time to prove themselves.

Some clubs have been accused of impatience when dealing with their managers but, Wenger argues, it works both ways. After all, the Frenchman has shown Arsenal as much loyalty as the Club has shown him.

"I don't feel I have a special security," said Wenger. "I believe that it is very difficult to compare someone who is there for six months to someone who has done 12 years at a club.

"But there is reciprocity as well. I have shown a lot of faith in many special circumstances to the club. I enjoy it and I appreciate the confidence I have from this club.

"I believe it has to go both ways and you must give the club the feeling that you won't jump out at the first difficulty and you will not change club at the first opportunity."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 4-0 Cardiff

The FA Cup sponsored by E.ON, Emirates Stadium

Monday, February 16, 2009, 19:45

* Eduardo 20, 60, verneigen
* Bendtner 34,
* Van Persie 89

Exactly 358 days before tonight, Eduardo had left the pitch at St Andrews on a stretcher with his career in doubt.

His leg had been fractured, his ankle had been dislocated and Arsenal’s collective heart had been broken.

This evening against Cardiff he also left the pitch early. But on this occasion he had 67 emotional minutes under his belt – his first competitive action since that fateful afternoon in Birmingham – and, in that time, he had scored twice.

The Croatian put Arsenal ahead midway through the first half with the coolest of headers and added another from the penalty spot on the hour. In between those strikes, Nicklas Bendtner had nodded home at the near post and in injury time Robin van Persie added a fourth.

But to be honest, this FA Cup Fourth Round replay only served as a backdrop for Eduardo’s return. Cardiff were overrun in the opening minutes and never recovered their serenity. Arsenal were excellent, always in control and now entertain Burnley in the Fifth Round.

However, to be honest, that all seemed kind of unimportant. Tonight belonged to Eduardo.

The 25-year-old had handled the obscenity of his injury with dignity. It was just wonderful to see him back in the side and doing what he does best.

Welcome back, old friend.

The striker’s selection was one of five changes from the draw at Tottenham the previous weekend. Bendtner joined the Croatian up front while Carlos Vela came into the side on the left-hand side of midfield. This meant Samir Nasri moved to the right.

Kieran Gibbs slotted in at left back and Lukas Fabianski continued his FA Cup run between the posts.

The changes meant Manuel Almunia, Van Persie and Gael Clichy dropped to the bench. Emmanuel Eboue was suspended after his red card at Tottenham while Emmanuel Adebayor was starting an estimated three weeks on the sidelines because of the hamstring injury he suffered at White Hart Lane.

Denilson celebrated his 21st birthday by continuing in midfield. But it was a less happy occasion for Johan Djourou. The centre half was named on the bench but was taken sick just before kick-off. As a consequence, Arsenal had only six substitutes.

It seemed that an age has passed since the 0-0 draw at Ninian Park. In fact it was only three weeks but in that time we had found out these sides’ FA Cup future right up until the Semi-Final.

It was home draws all the way to the last four for tonight’s winner – a massive opportunity.

The Cardiff fans knew it and, in the early stages, they were everything you would expect – loud and confident. They had every right to be given their performance at Ninian Park but Arsenal would soon smother them.

In the opening two minutes, Bacary Sagna crossed deep to the far post and Bendtner steered his header back across goal but wide of the near post.

Shortly afterwards Vela sent a rasping shot towards goal from 25 yards that Cardiff No 1 Tom Heaton could only parry into the path of Bendtner. But the on-loan Manchester United keeper would redeem himself by turning aside the Dane’s follow-up.

Heaton seemed to be taking on Arsenal all on his own. In the seventh minute, William Gallas met Vela’s curling cross with a firm downward header at the far post. The keeper saved with his right knee.

For his part, Eduardo was looking sharp and confident. Around the 10-minute mark he sidefooted a low shot wide and then tried to beat Heaton from the halfway line.

Now that would have been a comeback.

This was the swarming, overwhelming, relentless Arsenal of old and it was a pleasure to see them back. Cardiff were the best the Championship could offer on current form and had thoroughly deserved their draw in the first game – but they were being taken apart this evening.

When it came, the goal was typical Eduardo – all about placement not power. Vela did wonderfully well to put the ball on the Croatian’s head from the left flank but the striker’s body position meant he could not put pace on his effort. Instead he simply guided it into the space the keeper had just vacated.

It was the headed version of passing the ball into the net.

To be honest it could have gone in off Eduardo’s backside and Emirates would still have erupted. As it was, the 25-year-old slid on his knees towards to the touchline before being engulfed by his team-mates.

Everybody knew what this goal meant.

Despite the emotion of the moment, Arsenal were not going to sit back and admire their work this evening. They continued to flood forward and might have doubled their advantage in the 26th minute when Nasri’s shot squirmed under Heaton and dribbled wide.

Cardiff were already looking a beaten side and the second goal only seemed to numerically confirm it. In the 34th minute, Nasri curled over a corner from the left and Bendtner raced to the near post and leapt highest to touch home a header into the far corner. Another goal of ruthless simplicity.

It seemed to draw all the remaining confidence from the visitors and Arsenal should have added a third just before the half-time whistle.

Sagna crossed from the right, Eduardo expertly controlled the ball but his shot on the turn was saved by Heaton. Again the effort came out to Bendtner at the far post. The Dane stuck his first shot against the woodwork and his second was saved by the sprawling keeper. An incredible moment.

There was no let up after the interval. Vela waltzed through in the 53rd minute but his shot was blocked, a couple of minutes later Gibbs whipped a cross into the heart of the six-yard box and Darren Purse scooped the ball away from under his own bar.

Despite Arsenal’s invention Cardiff had to chance their arm. Just before the hour, Fabianski was forced into his first serious action when he stretched to save a low drive from Jay Bothroyd.

But the home side would be quick to respond. Cardiff failed to clear their lines after Heaton had saved Bendtner's shot with his legs and Purse felled Eduardo on the penalty spot. The Croatian got up and scored from exactly the same place.

This time his celebration was more meaningful. He brushed aside his team-mates to hug Tony Colbert, the fitness coach who had worked with him throughout the dark days of the past 12 months.

Ross McCormack saw a free-kick deflected over but Eduardo would have a glimpse of a hat-trick when he tried to lift the ball over Heaton at the far post.

It would be the final act of the game for the former Dinamo Zagreb striker. A couple of minutes later, Wenger replaced him with Van Persie and Nasri with Aaron Ramsey.

Naturally he received a standing ovation.

Amaury Bischoff came on for this first action outside the Carling Cup and, with 10 minutes left, nearly steered home a cross-shot from the narrowest of angles.

In injury time, Van Persie did manage to slot home a fourth. In the final seconds he also nodded against the outside of the post.

This was just what Arsenal needed. A slick performance, lots of goals and the return of a major star.
Hopefully the team – and Eduardo – can kick on from here.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'We were dynamic, convincing and mobile'

On Eduardo’s dream return to first-team action…
“I am not surprised he played well tonight. I didn’t play him as a reward for his excellent work; it was because in training over the past few weeks he has done extremely well. He made a big step forward two weeks ago when he found sharpness in front of goal and in his runs and he got rid of his apprehension in the tackles.

“Of course it is nearly 12 months out and he has been extremely strong mentally during that time, I could never see one minute of doubt in his mind or one minute where he said ‘no, I don’t want to do it’. He always wanted more and this guy is small but has the mental strength of a mountain.

“He is intelligent, talented and he understands what is happening quickly. He responds very quickly to every situation. That is why he is a striker. He is a quiet boy. He is very, very quiet – he is focussed but of course very happy tonight.“

On the striker’s poignant celebration with Tony Colbert…
“I think Tony Colbert has spent more time with Eduardo than with his wife. So perhaps he deserves that kind of hug. The physios and doctors have as well done a tremendous job with him. We use him when he is ready but they did a lot of work with him and have done a great job.”

On the importance of having him back…
“We will know how important this was at the end of the season. I am very happy to have him back because he gives us options. He can play on flank, he can play central, he can play on the shoulder or upfront on his own. It is fantastic for us.

“I still have to be cautious with him and I cannot throw him in every three days after nine months. We will see how he responds to that hamstring and maybe he can be with us on Saturday, I don’t know.”

On the fantastic team performance…
“Of course everybody’s happy for him but I believe it was a good team performance; dynamic, convincing and mobile. We played the kind of football we love to play and it is good to see us play with handbrake off. We are now consistent, we are stable defensively, and we added tonight our drive going forward.

“We played the game we want to play and Eduardo played a big part in that. Everybody is of course pleased for him tonight.”

On Cardiff’s performance…
“They gave us a hard time over there. I felt today the speed of our passing gave them a big problem. It is easier to play our kind of football here than it was at Ninian Park.

“Something in the Cardiff team, when we played them over there, made me think they have real belief and the real quality. I didn’t see any weak position in their team, where you think they aren’t good enough. Today they were dominated as a team, and it is very difficult tonight to find the same impression because of that. They had to run after the game after we scored which was much more difficult.

“We have played Burnley and Cardiff and I would say they are sides who have a chance to come up, a really good chance. If you look at the table Cardiff are 12 points behind the leaders with a few games in hand. They have a good chance but I think for them it is better to go out of the FA Cup.”

On taking FA cup confidence into the league…
“We are very consistent and we are on a very strong run. We missed the goals recently but I believe we are on a very strong run. We promised ourselves we would give everything until the last day of the season. At the moment Man United look untouchable – they are 12 points ahead with a game against Fulham which they will certainly win. Their results are really consistent, they win 1-0. You always think during the game that they may drop points but they always manage to find the resources to win the game.

“If they win the game in hand they are 15 points in front. That means we need to lose five. Say they lose one against us, that is four. They still need to lose another four but they haven’t done that yet. Our basic target is to get in the Champions League which means the league is our priority.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal will Theo Walcott binden

Nach auftauchenden Abwanderungsgerüchten will Arsenal London Angreifer Theo Walcott, der noch einen Vertrag bis 2010 besitzt, mit einem neuen Fünfjahreskontrakt ausstatten.

Dies berichtet die englische Zeitung "Daily Mirror". Das Jahresgehalt des Rohdiamanten soll dabei auf drei Millionen Euro verdoppelt werden.

Zuletzt war in mehreren Medien über einen Transfer des englischen Jungnationalspielers spekuliert worden. Real Madrid soll bereits Interesse bekundet haben.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arshavin set for debut against Sunderland

Andrey Arshavin is in line to make his Arsenal debut against Sunderland on Saturday.

The Russian midfielder will certainly be involved but, speaking to Arsenal TV Online on Thursday, Arsène Wenger was unsure whether he would start against Ricky Sbragia’s side.

The 27-year-old’s only experience since signing from Zenit St Peterburg came at Tottenham a fortnight ago. He was named on the bench but did not come on.

“He will be involved,” said Wenger. “But I have not decided what I will do with him yet."

Of course, any new signing needs an adaption period in English football. The only question mark over Arshavin is whether he can have a positive influence on Arsenal’s quest for a Champions League spot in the final three months of the season. But, despite being in pre-season training with Zenit when he signed, his physical fitness should not be a problem.

“He is still working on preparation and he is not qualified for the game against Roma so we can give him another week of hard work," said Wenger. "At the end of next week, that will be three weeks with us and one week with Zenit, that should be enough.”

Elsewhere, Emmanuel Eboue is back from suspension and Johan Djourou is fit following his sickness on Monday night.

Abou Diaby (thigh) is not quite ready yet. Mikael Silvestre (thigh), Emmanuel Adebayor (hamstring), Cesc Fabregas (knee), Theo Walcott (shoulder), Tomas Rosicky (hamstring tendon) are still on the injured list.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 0-0 Sunderland rolleye

Barclays Premier League, Emirates Stadium

Saturday, February 21, 2009, 15:00

Arsenal registered their third successive goalless draw in the Premier League this afternoon and the run could cost them dearly at the end of the season

Arsène Wenger’s side knew a win against Sunderland this afternoon would bring them closer to Champions League qualification because fourth-place Chelsea and Aston Villa, in third, were battling it out at lunchtime.

However the maths only worked out if Arsenal won themselves and, despite a bright first half inspired by new signing Andrey Arshavin, they could not break through a stubborn Sunderland defence.

Robin van Persie clipped a shot wide in the early stages and Kolo Toure had a header cleared off the line in first half injury time. However, as the eye-catching Arshavin faded, so did Arsenal’s chances.

Villa’s defeat means they are now just six points ahead of Wenger side and certainly still catchable. But this was a massive chance for Arsenal and they did not grasp it.

Arsenal are now 13 games unbeaten but, increasingly, draws are not enough.

After the lunchtime game at Villa Park had finished, there was only one topic of debate pre-match and it concerned the nature of Arshavin’s contribution this afternoon. In the end the Russian did make the starting line-up and took up a role on the right. As a result Carlos Vela dropped out.

Otherwise the changes from Monday’s night’s win over Cardiff were entirely expected – Manuel Almunia for Lukasz Fabianski, Gael Clichy for Kieran Gibbs and Robin van Persie for Eduardo.

The Croatian’s comeback had been football’s feelgood story this week. Unfortunately Eduardo’s hamstring did not feel quite so good afterwards, he will be missing for two weeks now.

Still, that game was a wonderful fillip for a side in need of a boost.

And Arshavin nearly started this game the same way. The midfield opened up for him after precisely four minutes and 40 seconds into his Emirates Stadium career. He dragged his shot inches wide.

In all honesty that shot had been a little tentative. But his angled drive towards the top corner on the quarter-hour was anything but. It took all the strength and skill of keeper Marton Fulop to cope with its ferocity.

In between those efforts, Denilson’s clever ball had sent Van Persie clear. The Dutchman clipped the ball over the Sunderland stopper but it drifted wide.

Wenger had been somewhat critical of Sunderland’s defensive tactics in the game at the Stadium of Light. However since then Ricky Sbragia had replaced Roy Keane and, in fairness, the visitors were not just sitting back this afternoon. As a result, they created a flurry of chances in the middle portion of the first half.

Anton Ferdinand stung Almunia’s hands from distance then the keeper had to slide out and deny Dean Whitehead. After that the same player saw a drive batted away and Andy Reid blazed over the bar from distance.

However Arshavin was still catching the eye. After 30 minutes, he wrapped his foot around a ball on the right-hand touchline and sent a pin-point cross to Nicklas Bendtner, whose head was scrambled around the post by Fulop.

By now, Arshavin and Nasri had swapped flanks. Seven minutes before break the Frenchman sent Bendtner scampering down the right. His cross was deflected dangerously towards Fulop at the near post but the keeper snaffled to ball at the second attempt.

Arsenal seemed to fancy their chances of a breakthrough as the interval approached. First Sagna saw a shot deflected over then, from Van Persie’s corner, Toure’s powerful header was booted off the line by Reid at the far post.

However the visitors nearly provided a suckerpunch. In injury time they broke quickly and only the backtracking Sagna prevented Kenwyne Jones giving the visitors the advantage.

Although Toure nearly squeezed a shot under Fulop at the death it had been a frustrating half. That Villa defeat made this game gigantic for Arsenal – three points, via whatever means, was a must this afternoon.

For the first 15 minutes of the second period they had the ball but did little with it. Arshavin was a now a fading force and it was no surprise to see him replaced by Vela in the 64th minute.

The Mexican has been used to add urgency in tight matches and that was clearly his job this afternoon. His introduction pushed Nasri to the right and gave the rest of the side a dig in the ribs. They needed it.

Although Van Persie’s free-kick was punched away by Fulop midway through the half Arsenal were still in charge but not in front.

The Dutchman had half a shout for a penalty when he was hauled down with 18 minutes left. Straight after that Clichy chased a lost cause of a ball and managed to claw back a cross from the byline. It found Sagna whose shot deflected wide for a corner.

Vela had made a difference but he would spurn two decent chances and, as a result, desperation started to set in.

First he pulled an effort past one post after a hanging cross had unexpectedly fallen to him. With 10 minutes left he sliced an effort horribly wide from a similar position.

As the seconds ticked by, Sunderland started to go forward in search an unlikely win.

But in fact Arsenal would fashion two chances themselves in injury time. First Gallas slashed a shot wide then, in a last act of the game, Van Persie raced onto a flick from substitute Emmanuel Eboue but could only drive straight at Fulop.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - I gambled as much as I could

Arsène Wenger admits that depleted resources in attack may have deprived Arsenal of vital Premier League points on Saturday.

The Frenchman fielded an offensive formation against Sunderland with Nicklas Bendtner and Robin van Persie up front while Samir Nasri and new signing Andrey Arshavin patrolled the flanks. However, the Russian's lack of match fitness and injuries to Eduardo, Emmanuel Adebayor and Theo Walcott, in addition to the absence of the creative influence of Cesc Fabregas and Abou Diaby gave Wenger few options as his team chased a late winner at Emirates Stadium.

Arsenal's manager brought on Carlos Vela for the tiring Arshavin and sacrificed a defensive midfielder - Alex Song - in an attempt to unlock the Sunderland defence but to no avail. Afterwards, Wenger insisted that his players deserved more than a frustrating 0-0 draw.

"It was difficult because we had no strikers on the bench," he said.

"Arshavin was dead after 60 minutes and we only had Vela on the bench. We took Song off and switched Nasri and we finished with Van Persie, Vela, Bendtner and Eboue in a purely offensive role.

"We still didn't score and I couldn't see there was much more of a gamble to take.

"I'm frustrated that the guys don't get rewarded because this team really wants to do well. I can't fault the spirit and I believe we have to keep that as a strength and the rest will come."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arshavin - I am doing all I can to get fit

There were few surprises about Andrey Arshavin’s Arsenal debut.

The Russian showed his undoubted quality, was substituted after about an hour and, afterwards, talked about the pace of the Premier League.

The 27-year-old had a sparkling first-half. He shot wide from distance after five minutes, forced a super save from Marton Fulop a little later and provided a pin-point cross for Nicklas Bendtner not long before the interval. However, with little pre-season training under his belt before he moved from Zenit St Peterburg, Arshavin is not at full fitness and was already starting to fade before he was withdrawn in the 63rd minute.

“I enjoyed my debut in front of so many spectators,” he said afterwards. “But I am disappointed we did not get the result.

“I am doing everything I can to be as fully fit as soon as possible.

“I have never played in this League before, so I will have to see [how long it takes].

“If I played today in the Russian Premier League, I think I would have been OK, but the English Premier League is a different speed, it is quicker.

“I think overall it was not so much of a problem for me on the pitch, but Sunderland played very defensive. All of their players stayed in the box. It was very difficult for us.

“We tried to play for a goal and had chances, but after the game we were not so happy.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger – Denilson has key role against Roma

Arsène Wenger believes that Denilson will have a crucial part to play in a midfield battle that Arsenal “cannot lose” against Roma.

The Brazilian has started more games than anyone else in Wenger’s squad and he looks set to retain his place for Tuesday’s visit of the Serie A giants.

Wenger has pinpointed the central midfield clash as a particular hotspot in the match – and he’s certain that if Arsenal can assume control in the engine room, they will be well placed for victory.

“Denilson will have an important part to play in the Roma game and I believe the whole team will have an important part,” said the manager.

“When you play against Roma you know there is one battle you cannot lose and that is in midfield because that is their strong point.

“They play with a congested midfield and with a lot of short passing on the ground. If you lose that battle you will be second best.”

With injuries to Cesc Fabregas, Abou Diaby and Theo Walcott, Denilson has become the only real mainstay of a Gunners midfield which has chopped and changed all season.

His manager can see a notable physical improvement in the 21-year-old’s game and thinks that the stats speak for themselves when it comes to his overall contribution.

“If you look at the numbers and the amount of balls he wins, he is one of the top midfield players in the country on many indexes,” Wenger said. “He doesn’t talk too much be he is very efficient.

“I am surprised how little credit he got for what he has delivered since the start of the season. I think he has improved tactically in his first pass and physically in the challenge. He is much stronger than a year ago.

“You can see today when he makes a tackle he wins the ball. I am convinced he will be even stronger in six months.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
We must find our balance again - Wenger

Arsène Wenger knows he must redress the imbalance in the Arsenal team.

The Frenchman saw his side complete another frustrating goalless afternoon against Sunderland on Saturday. It was Arsenal’s third no-score draw in a row and did little to help their chances of finishing in the Champions League places.

Wenger’s side was criticised earlier in the season for conceding sloppy goals but in their last 10 games they have let in just three. However, at the same time they have failed to hit the net in four of their last six matches. Goalscoring was not considered a problem earlier in the campaign

"It is an interesting challenge,” admitted Wenger. “I believe in the first part of the season we conceded too many goals and scored high. But in the second half of the season, we don't concede anymore but we don't score. So in the final part of the season the challenge is to find a balance between being solid defensively and yet attacking well.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Roma won't play for a goalless draw

Roma will be attack-minded at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night, according to Arsène Wenger.

The Arsenal manager cut a frustrated figure on the touchline during the scoreless draw with Sunderland on Saturday. It was their third successive Premier League game without a goal and saw them fail to make up much ground on the top four.

Ironically a result like that would be more pleasing this week when Luciano Spalletti’s side visit London in the Champions League Knockout Round. In two-legged affairs avoiding an away goal is essential and 0-0 at Emirates Stadium did Arsenal no harm in the first leg against Milan last year. However, Wenger feels that will be the aim for neither side.

“I don't believe Roma will come for a goalless draw,” he said. “I think they will play in an Italian way, catch us on the break because they know an away goal will give them a good chance.

"We will have to have a spot-on defensive performance and score goals against them.

“In Italy, they have a view that the English games are very open and teams go for it. You couldn't say that against Sunderland. I believe the possession was 70-30 and people have not that kind of image of the Premier League.

“I feel that this year some teams have gone in a bit more [of a] negative direction than the years before. There is a more cautious approach and there are fewer teams playing with two strikers. I can count on one hand the number of teams who have played with two strikers at the Emirates.

“In the years before you could count on one hand the teams that did NOT play with two strikers.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 1-0 Roma daumenhoch

UEFA Champions League, Emirates Stadium

Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 19:45

Arsenal took a big step towards the last eight of the Champions League with a richly-deserved 1-0 win over Roma.

Robin van Persie scored the vital goal from the penalty spot after 37 minutes after Philippe Mexes had brought the Dutchman down inside the box.

It could easily have been more. Nicklas Bendtner missed from six yards in the second half while Abou Diaby and Emmanuel Eboue also went close.

But this was promising enough. Arsène Wenger had urged his team to “take the handbrake off" and find the spark they needed to reignite their season. The manager will be delighted with the response. At times Arsenal found their buccaneering best and, on this evidence, they can prevail at the Stadio Olimpico on March 11.

Arsenal are now unbeaten in 23 home matches in the Champions League, a run which stretches back to April 2004. Those home comforts will be vital if they are to make serious progress in Europe this season.

Once again, Wenger had little room for manoeuvre with his team selection. Eduardo, Emmanuel Adebayor, Cesc Fabregas, Theo Walcott, Tomas Rosicky and Mikael Silvestre were still injured while Andrey Arshavin was ineligible after representing Zenit St. Petersburg in the Champions League earlier this season. Eboue stepped in for the Russian while Diaby, fit after a thigh problem, replaced Alex Song in midfield.

A crackling atmosphere greeted the two sides and no wonder. After the relative drudgery of the group stages, this is where the Champions League really hots up. And perhaps this tie was a welcome distraction from domestic pursuits. While Arsenal scrap for a top-four place in the Premier League, tonight was a stepping-stone towards genuine silverware in May.

Wenger’s side were certainly up for it. With Samir Nasri given the freedom to roam centrally and both full-backs bombing on, Arsenal looked fluid and threatening in the opening stages.

After four minutes, Nasri was released down the right. He cut the ball back for the unmarked Bendtner 12 yards out but the Dane’s first touch was far too heavy and the chance went begging.

Nasri was next to go close, nodding Clichy’s pinpoint cross wide after a well-timed run into the box. Then William Gallas just failed to convert Kolo Toure’s downward header after Van Persie’s clipped free-kick.

Arsenal had the ‘handbrake’ off while Roma had stalled.

But the visitors reminded all and sundry of their latent threat when Marco Motta fizzed a long-range effort inches wide.

Arsenal were still making most of the running. Nasri was the catalyst, linking play superbly in the space behind Van Persie while Bendtner dropped to the left. Nasri and Diaby both tried their luck from distance and Roma needed all their cunning to snuff out Arsenal’s clever interplay in and around the box.

Eventually, it took an illegal challenge to stop the hosts.

On 35 minutes Van Persie collected Bendtner's pass and snaked into the box before Mexes - already on a yellow card - brought him down. The Dutchman picked himself up, dusted himself off and slammed home the spot kick. It was a thoroughly-deserved lead.

It could have been two a minute later. Once again Van Persie got round the side of the Roma central pair but his cut-back was just behind Bendtner and Roma escaped.

Another boost came four minutes before the break when De Rossi was booked for a scything challenge on Nasri. It was further evidence that Arsenal were winning the middle tussle - and it ruled De Rossi out of the second leg.

Roma had to gamble in the second half and they duly emerged with attacking intentions. But after weathering a brief storm Arsenal took command again.

After 52 minutes a slick break from Eboue ended with Van Persie picking out the unmarked Bendtner but the Dane scooped his shot over from six yards. Seconds later Bendtner raced down the left but just failed to find Nasri as the Frenchman charged into the six-yard box. Then Diaby forced a fine diving stop from Doni.

You sensed Roma were there for the taking but Arsenal could not find the killer punch.

Eboue was next to go so, so close, latching onto a loose back-pass but finding the side-netting.

Arsenal almost paid for their profligacy when John Arne Riise lashed a low shot inches wide. And Roma, no doubt relieved to be let off the hook, pressed on in search of an equaliser. Predictably, nerves jangled among the home fans.

But for all their possession, Roma failed to open up the hosts’ back four.

Arsenal can expect a sterner examination in a fortnight but, for now, they have the edge. This was a satisfying way to bring up a double century of games in the European Cup.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'I believe our pace gave them problems'

Roma’s positive gameplan…
“The game was more positive than what we saw on Saturday and both teams tried to play and go forward. I believe our pace gave them problems in the first half and in the second half we had one chance after the other. At that moment there was room to score. When we tired in the last 20 minutes you saw that they could be dangerous as well.

On Nicklas Bendtner’s performance…
“Maybe he lacked a bit of spontaneous attitude because we want to play so well and do so much. I still believe that defensively we had a sound performance and we didn’t concede a goal as well.”

On the contrast with Saturday’s match…
“I believe that the games are locked in the Premier League because the teams refuse to play. When teams don’t come out, the game doesn’t go up and down. We had no space on Saturday and as long as you don’t score the first goal, that is what you get. In a game like tonight both teams take initiative when they win the ball back which isn’t the case at the moment in the Premier League.”

On the performance of match-winner Robin van Persie…
“I wanted him to play because we’ve had problems scoring goals. I wanted to play him closer to the goal and put Samir Nasri central to give him a more creative role in our build-up. I believe it worked quite well and we always looked like we could be dangerous going forward. Overall I am very pleased with Robin’s attitude and performances since the start of the season.”

On starting the second half with only nine men…
“Kolo always goes out for the second half last so he waited for William who was having treatment at half time. They didn’t know the game had started without them and they were putting their boots on. It was our fault because you have to be ready when the bell rings. I played at a time when we didn’t even go in the dressing room at half time!"

On Francesco Totti’s contribution…
“I felt we kept him quiet by protecting the centre well. Also we were dominating the game so he didn’t get much service.”

On Denilson’s role in the midfield…
“I still believe that Denilson has had a good season. Since January he has become more dominant in the defensive area of the game. He is 20-years-old and he hasn’t missed a game since the first game of the season. It’s a fantastic performance.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - We proved we can create chances

Arsène Wenger is confident Arsenal can finish the job they started when they visit Roma for the second leg of their Champions League tie.

The teams will reconvene at the Stadio Olimpico on March 11 and each will take a positive spin on an eventful first leg at Emirates Stadium. The Giallorossi will claim they were let off the hook after Arsenal failed to add to Robin van Persie's first-half penalty. But for all the Gunners' profligacy, they proved they have enough quality to score a potentially decisive away goal in Italy.

The Arsenal manager would have preferred to see his players put the tie to bed on Tuesday night. But Wenger is positive they can prevail - especially if they don't add to a six-strong injury list before travelling to Rome.

"I am happy with the performance but there was room to score more goals tonight," said the Frenchman. "That is a regret we have.

"From Tuesday night we know that we can create chances and you never know what the right result is in this competition.

"One of the positives was that we didn’t concede a goal. We are in a position where we can’t just defend, we want to attack and score goals [in Rome].

"The next game will of course be an interesting one because they will throw a lot more forward. We have three more games between that tie and the next leg. At the speed we are losing players it might be a difficulty for us."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Nasri - We deserved more from the first leg

Samir Nasri believes Arsenal deserved more from a “conquering” performance against Roma on Tuesday night.

Nasri, given the freedom to roam in a central role, was one of the Gunners’ brightest sparks throughout their vital first-leg victory at Emirates Stadium. But despite creating a hatful of chances Arsène Wenger’s side will only take a one-goal advantage to the Stadio Olimpico in a fortnight.

The Frenchman thought that his side deserved more for their tireless endeavours but is certain that a repeat performance in the Italian capital should be enough to book a place in the Quarter-Finals.

“We probably deserved a higher score,” said Nasri. “We created some good opportunities. Now we have to repeat the performance in the return match.

"I think this result is not too bad, even though we could have won it with a larger score. But fortunately we managed not to concede any goals. The positive ahead of the second leg is that tonight we’ve seen a conquering Arsenal side, with a good defensive display. This is very encouraging for the challenges to come.

“We are confident for the second leg as we start that game with a 1-0 lead. We are confident about our means and are convinced we can succeed."

After only one goal in their last four Premier League games, Van Persie’s 37-minute penalty was a very welcome tonic for Arsenal, who had already squandered some decent opportunities before the Dutchman struck.

Nasri admits that the Giallorossi afforded Arsenal more space than the recent English visitors to the Emirates, resulting in more fluid movement in the final third.

“Unlike in the league, tonight we had more space to move,” said the 21-year-old. “We have managed to create the gaps we needed and we made a lot of movement. Now we have to try to repeat the same performance again. With a 1-0 lead one would try to play the second leg in its usual way.

“We have seen that it is important not to let this team play their own game, that’s what we succeeded very well tonight.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Fabregas - Denilson and Song are doing well

Cesc Fabregas has praised the contributions of Denilson and Alex Song this season.

The Brazilian and his Cameroonian colleague have struck up a partnership in the centre of midfield since Fabregas suffered medial knee ligament damage during the game against Liverpool on December 21.

With Abou Diaby hampered by injuries, Denilson and Song, both 21, have shouldered a huge burden in the engine. At times they have come in for criticism but Fabregas believes they both are talented and committed players.

"I’ve played with both of them, of course, and I can say they work really hard, they always give their best and are very honest players," he told the Official Arsenal Programme.

"At Arsenal there's a lot of pressure because we are a big club but from my perspective, and from outside, I think they are doing well.

"If we had scored one of our early chances [against Sunderland last] Saturday we could have gone on to win by four.

"We have to remember that this game depends on the entire team, and squad, and also to be mindful that Arsenal has lost games involving myself, Patrick Vieira, Edu, Gilberto and many other midfielders in the past!"

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Almunia - We need to find the perfect balance

Manuel Almunia has been as frustrated as anyone by Arsenal's failure to find the net in their recent Premier League games - but he is happy with how things are going at the other end of the pitch.

The Spanish goalkeeper has contributed to a run of five consecutive shut-outs, a far cry from the opening months of the season when Arsenal were shipping goals on a more regular basis.

Now Almunia hopes Arsenal can find the perfect balance of goals and clean sheets as the Premier League campaign reaches a vital stage.

"It’s the only good thing that we can see from these kind of games [Sunderland] when we are dropping points, we are still getting clean sheets," he told the Official Arsenal Programme. "I think the team in general defensively are doing very well.

"We now need to find that nice balance where we are tight at the back but get the goals. It’s what a team like Manchester United has been so successful with this season, they have always been getting the clean sheet and then just managing to get the goal. They have the confidence to get that minimum one goal. We have to get that confidence back.

"Before we probably used to create a few more chances and also we would finish those chances quicker. Now we are spending a bit more time to get a final shot. The players realise that the fans deserve more from us and maybe some of the players are feeling more pressure at the moment at home because we are not winning games.

"I know the fans deserve more from the team than 0-0 scores."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 0-0 Fulham

Barclays Premier League, Emirates Stadium

Saturday, February 28, 2009, 15:00

Arsenal have it all to do to book a place in next season’s Champions League after their top-flight frustrations continued on Saturday.

Arsène Wenger’s side were held to their fourth successive goalless draw in the Premier League by a spirited Fulham team. They now trail fourth-placed Aston Villa by five points but that gap could widen when Martin O’Neill’s team host Stoke on Sunday.

Robin van Persie went closer than anyone to breaking the deadlock at Emirates Stadium but the combined efforts of the woodwork and goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer kept out the Dutchman’s best efforts.

The Gunners are now unbeaten in 15 games but, at this stage of the season, draws are not enough. They were superb in the Champions League in midweek but need to transmit their European form to the domestic stage - and quickly.

Wenger sprang something of a surprise before kick-off, replacing Nicklas Bendtner with Carlos Vela in his starting line-up. Abou Diaby kept his place in the side after a speedy recovery from a calf problem while Andrey Arshavin, ineligible in Europe, returned on the right flank. Samir Nasri, so impressive when allowed to roam against Roma, started just behind the main striker, Van Persie.

Fulham arrived with perhaps the most curious record in the Premier League. Roy Hodgson’s men have eight victories at Craven Cottage this season - only Manchester United have a better home record – but had yet to win on the road. A total of 13 goals on their travels and five goalless draws suggested that Fulham would be no more adventurous than Arsenal’s most recent domestic opponents, West Ham and Sunderland.

How wrong we were. The visitors fielded two strikers, a clutch of forward-thinking midfielders and, having already beaten Arsenal once this season, decided to have a go.

It made for a frenetic, open affair with space aplenty in midfield and chances at both ends.

Fulham were in charge early on. Andy Johnson fired the first shot across Arsenal’s bows with just 53 seconds on the clock and five minutes later Simon Davies fired over on the turn after Danny Murphy’s dinked pass. Johnson screwed a good chance wide after spinning William Gallas on the edge of the box and only a fine block from Bacary Sagna denied Clint Dempsey.

Arsenal were taken aback. Vela and Arshavin had been stationed on the flanks to try and unlock negative opponents. Instead, those attacking players were forced onto the back foot.

The home side eventually found their stride and should have taken the lead in the 10th minute. Arshavin wriggled free on the right and picked out Van Persie with his cross but Schwarzer tipped his point-blank header over the bar.

Arshavin himself was next to go close. A slick move from left to right ended with Nasri sliding a first-time pass into the Russian’s path. With the angle narrowing, Arshavin slashed his effort high and wide.

On the half-hour Nasri found space inside the area but over-elaborated and was eventually crowded out. Then Van Persie raced through only to hit his venomous right-foot effort straight at Schwarzer. The Dutchman was first to the loose ball but Aaron Hughes deflected his second shot wide.

Back came Fulham. Zamora shot straight at Manuel Almunia and then Murphy, busy pulling the strings from midfield, fizzed a long-range effort just over. Johnson also went close as the visitors continued to defy their pre-match doubters.

Arsenal, with Nasri and Arshavin on the periphery, were in a real battle. Wenger responded by switching his two playmakers at the break with the Russian moving into the centre. It was a subtle switch but it galvanised the Gunners.

Arshavin was immediately more influential. One driving run from the new boy forced a vital intervention from Brede Hangeland. Then the Russian saw his low shot inadvertently blocked by Vela.

Arsenal were well on top now and came within inches breaking the deadlock in the 58th minute. Sagna planted a cross onto Van Persie’s head but the Dutchman’s effort flicked off the outside of the post with Schwarzer well beaten.

On came Bendtner as Wenger added ballast to his front line. But Fulham weren’t finished and a dangerous break, led by Davies, ended with Johnson’s shot cannoning off Gallas and looping onto the top of the net.

With 20 minutes left Bendtner’s clever backheel found Van Persie inside the box but he couldn’t keep his effort down. Then Schwarzer scrambled to his left to keep out Diaby’s near-post header from Van Persie’s corner.

Arshavin found the side-netting with seven minutes remaining as Arsenal threw everything at their London rivals. But this was no siege. Fulham had moments of their own and could have snatched a late winner themselves.

A draw was probably a fair result but a point won't win prizes. For Arsenal, the margin of error just got narrower.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Gallas to miss W.B.A. trip with ankle injury

William Gallas has been ruled out of Tuesday night's trip to West Bromwich Albion.

The French defender has a niggling ankle problem which needs attention and he will be replaced by Johan Djourou at the Hawthorns.

Arsène Wenger had no other new injuries to report when he spoke exclusively to Arsenal TV Online on Monday afternoon. Theo Walcott has resumed full training but tomorrow's Premier League clash comes too early for the England winger.

"William is out for tomorrow's game, because he has an ankle problem for a while and we want to cure it. He will be back for Sunday," said Wenger.

"Nobody else is back for tomorrow so apart from William Gallas everyone else will be involved. Johan Djourou will come in at centre back.

"But I will not rotate too much because there are five days before the Burnley game. There will be one or two but what we try to do is rotate a little bit without losing the balance of the team."

Walcott (shoulder), Cesc Fabregas (knee), Tomas Rosicky (hamstring tendon), Mikael Silvestre (calf), Eduardo and Emmanuel Adebayor (both hamstring) are still waiting to return to first-team action. According to Wenger, there is an outside chance of three of them facing Burnley in the FA Cup on Sunday.

"Theo is good, he just needs to get used to contact in training, but it looks positive," he said. "Eduardo has a small chance to be back for Burnley, even [Emmanuel] Adebayor has a small chance, maybe Burnley will be too tight, but a small chance.

"Fabregas and Rosicky [will return in] three weeks." daumenhoch

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Arshavin will have major influence

Andrey Arshavin needs another "10 days" before he can withstand the rigours of the English game, according to Arsène Wenger.

The Russian playmaker has started two Premier League games since arriving from Zenit St. Petersburg on transfer-deadline day, playing for 63 minutes against Sunderland before completing his first 90 minutes in an Arsenal shirt on Saturday.

Arshavin showed glimpses of his undoubted talent in both matches but was visibly flagging in the latter stages of the Fulham game. Wenger expects him to be 'match fit' by the time Arsenal face Blackburn on Saturday week.

"I believe that physically it will take him 10 more days," the Frenchman told Arsenal TV Online. "He says he felt much better than in the first game.

"You could see that he is not completely there but I am convinced he will have a tremendous influence on the game."

While Arshavin acclimatises to the pace of the Premier League, the rest of the Arsenal squad is adapting to the Russian's style of play. The quick-thinking Russian makes his national side tick and Wenger accepts that it will take time before Arshavin and his new team-mates are on the same wavelength.

"We work on that to adjust our combinational level together," said the manager. "That is as well down to intelligence.

"Arshavin has a quick brain and he is many steps ahead of the game and even on Saturday he gave two great chances to Robin; one header and one that Robin tried to finish with his right foot - two great passes.

“He had two great chances himself too. When you can have that kind of impact on a game it is very positive."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
W.B.A. 1-3 Arsenal

Barclays Premier League, The Hawthorns

Tuesday, March 03, 2009, 19:45

* Brunt 6

* Bendtner 4, 44,
* Toure 38

Nicklas Bendtner and Arsenal threw off the shackles to end their goal drought and register a comfortable victory at the Hawthorns.

The Dane has suffered as much as anyone in front of goal in recent weeks but he needed just four minutes to break the deadlock and added a thumping second before the break.

West Brom had delivered an instant riposte to Bendtner's opener when Chris Brunt fired in a free-kick. But Kolo Toure restored Arsenal's lead with his first of the season before his Danish team-mate delivered the coup de grace.

So ends a run of 604 minutes without a Premier League strike and, in truth, tonight's winning margin should have been greater. Arsène Wenger had warned that the goals would soon flow for the Gunners and Albion's porous defence was lucky not to concede more.

On Sunday, Arsenal were within a whisker of falling eight points behind Aston Villa but they are now just three behind the side occupying fourth place. Martin O’Neill’s side might just feel a modicum of pressure when they visit Manchester City tomorrow night.

Wenger had hinted at minimal rotation for this game so it was something of a surprise to see four changes on the Arsenal teamsheet. One was enforced – Johan Djourou replacing the injured William Gallas. Emmanuel Eboue and Alex Song were drafted in to stiffen the midfield while Bendtner was recalled up front.

Before kick-off all the talk was of Arsenal’s goal drought. The Gunners had not delivered four consecutive 0-0 draws in the League since October 1993 - the days of George Graham and Eddie McGoldrick.

One more goalless game would set an unlikely record in the English top flight but the statisticians were thwarted just four minutes into the game. That’s how long it took Bendtner to fire Arsenal ahead.

The source of the goal was a poorly-taken corner by Samir Nasri. It was easily cleared at the near post but only as far as Denilson, who picked out Bendtner on the right corner of the box. The striker worked himself a yard of space and curled a low shot into Scott Carson’s bottom corner.

Arsenal had finally thrown off the shackles but, within two minutes, they were pegged back. Brunt lined up a free-kick from 22 yards and his low effort flew through the defensive wall past Manuel Almunia. The Spaniard was furious and rightly so – Arsenal had just undone their good work.

Buoyed by their unexpected equaliser, Albion pressed for a second and Luke Moore almost obliged. The striker had his back to goal and Djourou in close attention when he received the ball 20 yards out but Moore span and fired towards Almunia’s near post. The keeper scrambled to his left to keep Arsenal level.

Moore headed another chance over the crossbar after Brunt’s corner had caused consternation in the visitors’ box, but by and large Arsenal were in control. Bendtner fluffed a great chance after Eboue’s mis-kick fell invitingly for him and Arshavin sliced a shot wide from the edge of the box. The Russian would soon make amends.

Eight minutes before the break, Clichy was shoved off the ball on the left flank. Arshavin drifted a delightful free-kick into the box and Toure guided a downward header past Carson.

This time, Arsenal did not waste their advantage. Indeed, six minutes later, they effectively put the result beyond doubt.

This time Toure turned provider, lofting a pass into the right channel for the unmarked Bendtner. The Dane was given far too much space by the Albion defence but his first touch was exquisite and his finish was clinical.

It was suggested before the game that, if Wenger were to hand-pick an opponent in light of Arsenal’s recent travails, he would have chosen Albion. The Baggies were certainly living up to their billing. They lack the bite of the other promoted sides and, although they try to play football; Arsenal play it better.

The visitors confirmed their superiority after the break, creating chance after chance.

Bendtner was at the hub of most of Arsenal’s finest moves. The Dane set up Arshavin inside the box after 52 minutes but Carson tipped the Russian’s effort past the post. Seconds later Arshavin showed quick feet to get another shot away just eight yards out but, once again, he was denied by a minor deflection.

You could smell a goal and Abou Diaby, on as a half-time substitute, almost obliged. Turning Ryan Donk one way and then the other, the Frenchman sent a vicious shot towards goal but another deflection rescued Albion.

Bendtner, chasing a hat-trick, so nearly completed his first Arsenal treble after a slaloming run into the box ended with a low shot against the left-hand post. Four minutes later the Dane picked out Eboue but the Ivorian shot straight at Carson.

Arsenal were almost caught out on the break with 17 minutes left. Marc-Antoine Fortune broke clear on the right but angled his drive inches past the far post.

It was a brief respite for Albion.

Bacary Sagna fired over the bar and Bendtner followed suit as time ticked down. Then Arshavin forced another save from Carson right at the end when it seemed a first Arsenal goal would be his.

Arshavin will have to wait a little longer. For now, it’s good to see any Arsenal player finding the net.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'We controlled the game and created more'

On the overall performance...
"The game was decided in the first half where all the important facts happened. After our early goal, coming back to 1-1 gave them hope and belief. But we found goals number two and three just before half time and you could see our third goal was a big blow to them. In the second half we controlled the game and created more chances that we didn’t take but I thought goals four and five were there to be taken."

On ending the goal drought...
"It is a strange situation because we have created the same amount of chances as we did tonight in many games but didn’t win. We are on a long unbeaten run since the beginning of November and I still believe that if we had taken our chances in a few of the draws we could still be in the title race. Now, we want to focus on reducing the gap with Aston Villa and maybe other teams."

On the performance of his frontline...
"The two strikers did very well. Nicklas Bendtner looks like he is improving from month to month. Andrey Arshavin is improving from game to game as well - in his class and composure although he has been a bit unlucky in his finishing and maybe he thought he had scored before the ball had gone in. Overall you can see the class is there."

On Bendtner answering his critics...
"It is difficult when you’re a fan of Arsenal you are always comparing the players with people from five, six or 10 years ago. But you have to accept that a guy who is 19 or 20 years old will get better every three months. He has shown tonight he has the talent to be an Arsenal player and he’s on the right path to mature. I liked his presence, his determined attitude and I thought the way he took people on showed he has improved a lot."

On the superb reception from the Arsenal fans at the Hawthorns...
"That’s very nice but less important because I cannot dribble on the pitch. The away fans have always been great to me.

"I don’t have a problem with the fans being disappointed, that is normal and I never complain about that. It is down to us to make people happy not down to the people outside the pitch to make us happy. We need to get our priorities right and when you don’t manage that I understand when people aren’t happy."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arshavin - English football has surprised me

Andrey Arshavin has come to a firm conclusion after one month with Arsenal - English football is harder than it looks on TV!

The Russian playmaker wrapped up his move from Zenit St. Petersburg on transfer-deadline day and has made a steady improvement in each of his three appearances for Arsène Wenger's team.

Arshavin operated in his favoured central role at West Brom on Tuesday night and troubled the home side throughout with his quick feet and eye for a pass. The 27-year-old capped an impressive display with an assist for Kolo Toure's first-half goal but he admits that the reality of English football is a far cry from the armchair view.

"I watched the matches that were broadcast in Russia whenever possible," said Arshavin. "But to tell the truth it seemed less difficult on TV. Only now do I understand how dynamic and hard the football is here.

"Now I would like to score as soon as possible. Everybody expected me to score in my very first match but that never happens, especially with me. But nothing was easy and immediate for me. Arsenal is no exception. So I need patience and hard work now.

"The main task now is to get into the Champions League for next season."

Like all foreign players, Arshavin is having to wrestle with a new language as well as a new style of football. But the Russian international has given himself a head-start in that respect.

"I began my English studies about two years ago," he revealed.

"I had no solid plans [of moving to London]. But I already thought about England and moreover English is an international language and can be handy everywhere. All experienced people said that the better you know the language the easier it will be. And even if I had not left Russia, knowledge of a foreign language cannot be a waste."

Seite 24 von 41 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 40 41

Moderated by  toubi 

Link Copied to Clipboard
NeoBet Profi
NeoBet Profi
Gewinnspiele
500 € Tippspiel EUROPA-Torschützen.
von dragoon - 19/03/2024 12:39
550 € DFB-Pokal Torschützencup 23/24
von pik7 - 15/03/2024 18:41
Beste Spielotheken Online
Beste Spielotheken Online
Betano - Welcome
Wer ist jetzt online
14 members (pik7, kafi112, Bambi, Flip160, Hackentrick, Haiefan, Martini, grottenoli, caro, dragoon), 3,526 Gäste, und 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Poster(30 Tage)
Haiefan 93
pik7 53
Forum Statistiken
Forum25
Themen1,436
Beiträge120,997
Mitglieder3,864
Am meisten online8,723
Feb 16th, 2016
Spielen mit Verantwortung - Responsible Gaming
Wetten Sie nicht über ihre Verhältnisse.

Wenn Sie oder jemanden, den Sie kennen, ein Problem mit Spielsucht hat, raten wir Ihnen, dass Sie Hilfe von einer dieser anerkannten Organisationen in Betracht ziehen:

18+ Glücksspiel kann süchtig machen - Hilfe finden Sie auf www.bzga.de

Gamblers Anonymous
Webseite www.gamblersanonymous.org

Gambling Therapy
Webseite www.gamblingtherapy.org

Weiterführende Links finden Sie auch außerdem weiter unten bei unseren Partnerseiten.

Unsere Partner & Links:
Bundesliga Tippspiel - Forum Gluecksspielsucht - gamCare - begambleaware - Wettbonus - Wettbasis - Flashscore
DATENSCHUTZ
IMPRESSUM