bet365
NeoBet Profi
NeoBet Profi
ShoutChat
Kommentarrichtlinien: Posten Sie respektvolle und aufschlussreiche Kommentare. Kein Flamen, Hassen, Spam.
Neuste Mitglieder
Fancy_Franzi, Gamera, danny, gRuBer, Sport
3,864 Registrierte Mitglieder
bwin - Sportwetten Bonus
Bookie-News
Geburtstage heute
Es gibt keine Mitglieder mit Geburtstagen an diesem Tag.
Vorheriger Thread
Nächster Thread
Thread drucken
Bewertung: 5
Seite 26 von 41 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 40 41
Beigetreten: Dec 2007
braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - The goals will come for Bendtner

Arsène Wenger is backing Nicklas Bendtner to find the finishing touch in an Arsenal shirt.

The Danish striker made a significant contribution to Saturday's 4-0 win over Blackburn. He played a key role in Arsenal's opener and caused no end of problems for Rovers with his link-up play and powerful running. However, Bendtner was unable to cap a fine display with the goals he deserved after squandering three good chances.

The 20-year-old appears to split opinion among Arsenal fans but Bendtner's supporters point to his youth and argue that the Dane will eventually find the composure to match his excellent approach work. Wenger also believes the goals will come for a player who has made a big leap forward this season.

"I agree he had a good game [against Blackburn] but a bad scoring record on the day," said the Frenchman.

"What is interesting with him is that his performance improves. I’ve seen players miss chances before when they are young and then once they start to score they quickly get impressive.

"Just imagine if he had taken two of his chances [on Saturday], everyone would have said what a great game he had.

"He was not far away from taking two chances so let’s support him, be positive and encourage him."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Walcott - We deserved our good fortune

Theo Walcott believes Arsenal deserved their good fortune in Tuesday’s FA Cup Quarter-Final against Hull at Emirates Stadium.

William Gallas appeared to be clearly offside when Johan Djourou flicked on a free-kick from Samir Nasri six minutes from time. But no flag was raised and the French centre back gleefully nodded Arsenal into the Semi-Final date with Chelsea on April 18.

“In a way, the winning goal was the sort of luck you need to win the FA Cup,” said Walcott. “The cameras showed it was offside and it's the referee's decision in the end. We can't do anything about that but we deserved it.

“I suppose that’s the FA Cup for you. As long as you get through it doesn’t matter how you play. We played very well at stages, we got the win and we are going to Wembley which is brilliant for all the lads and the fans.”

The contentious goal secured a breathless comeback. Hull had led through Nick Barmby’s deflected strike after 12 minutes. Arsenal struggled in the first half as Hull tried to kill the tie but they were revitalised after the break. Robin van Persie slammed home the equaliser in the 74th minute then Gallas completed a controversial denouement.

“I thought it was a tough game and all the players gave a 100 per cent,” said Walcott. “I was just getting on with the game but there was quite a bit of time-wasting. When you play against the big teams you try and slow the game down. But there was no animosity about that.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Liverpool v Arsenal - New date announced

Please note due to our involvement in the FA Cup Semi-Finals, our League game at Anfield will now be played as under;

Liverpool v Arsenal
Barclays Premier League
Anfield
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Kick Off 8pm

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Almunia set to return for Newcastle Utd trip

Manuel Almunia is likely to return for the trip to Newcastle on Saturday evening.

The Arsenal keeper damaged his ankle in the 4-0 win over Blackburn last weekend and was unavailable for the FA Cup Quarter-Final victory over Hull in midweek. However, after a positive training session on Thursday, he is likely to be given the all-clear from the medical staff.

Cesc Fabregas and Eduardo also took part in that session. For the Spaniard it represented his first full contact training since he damaged knee ligaments against Liverpool on December 21. However neither will be on the bus to St James’ Park.

“Almunia could be back,” Wenger told Arsenal TV Online. “He had a good training session today so it looks like he will be available.

“Fabregas and Eduardo have come back into full training today but I think they will be short for Saturday.

“It is the first time back for Cesc. He is physically fit but he needs a few training sessions. So it will be after the international break for him.

“Silvestre is fit and available but Adebayor is not ready yet.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal face Villarreal in Champions League

Arsenal will play Villarreal in the Quarter-Finals of the Champions League.

Arsène Wenger's team were paired with the Spanish club when the draw for the last eight of this season's competition took place at Uefa Headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland on Friday.

Arsenal beat Villarreal en route to the Final in 2006. Kolo Toure scored the only goal of the Semi-Final first leg at Highbury and Jens Lehmann saved a late penalty to secure a goalless draw in the second leg.

Villarreal now have Gunners legend Robert Pires in their ranks plus former Arsenal defender Pascal Cygan.

The first leg of this season's Quarter-Final will take place at El Madrigal on April 7 or 8 with the return leg at Emirates Stadium on April 14 or 15.

If Arsenal advance to the last four of the Champions League they will face Manchester United or Porto.

Arsenal.com will have reaction from the draw later today. Stay close to the official club website for ticket information.

Quarter-Final draw:

Villarreal v Arsenal
Manchester United v FC Porto
Liverpool v Chelsea
Barcelona v Bayern Munich

Semi-Final draw:
Manchester United or FC Porto v Villarreal or Arsenal
Barcelona or Bayern Munich v Liverpool or Chelsea

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Pires can still make the difference

The image of Robert Pires would have flashed through the minds of many Arsenal fans as soon as their team were paired with Villarreal at Friday's Champions League draw.

The French star graced Highbury for six years, scoring 84 goals in 284 appearances. He left behind a treasure trove of memories when he left in the summer of 2006 and his career has enjoyed an Indian summer at Villarreal. With Pires in the side the Yellow Submarine finished runners-up in last season's Primera Liga.

The former Arsenal favourite is guaranteed a warm reception when he returns to North London for the second leg of a mouthwatering Quarter-Final on April 15. Pires is 35 now but Wenger is well aware of his compatriot's enduring quality.

"It is an interesting case," said Wenger.

"We have to keep him quiet because he is a guy who can make a difference. I still have him on the phone many times - recently. He is playing very well, he was born in 1973, he is 36 in 2009 and he is still playing so that shows you what a fantastic player he is.

"I offered him [a chance to stay at Arsenal in 2006] but he wanted to play regularly," added Wenger.

"When you get to 33 or 34 I can still use players of that age here but when you look at our fixtures you have to get players at that age to come off the bench, come in, go out, and it is not easy. It's very difficult mentally, at 20 it is easy."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Why I’d love an all-English Final

Although an all-English Champions League Final would be “fantastic” for the Premier League, the rest of Europe might not be so pleased. That’s the opinion of Arsène Wenger.

Half of the teams in Friday’s Champions League draw were English and, unsurprisingly, two of them were drawn against each other.

Liverpool and Chelsea will meet again while Arsenal and Manchester United were drawn against non-English sides. But they will meet in the Semi Final if both are victorious in the last eight.

That makes the prospect of an all-English final very real. In fact, if Chelsea can overcome Liverpool and then beat either Barcelona or Bayern Munich in the Semi Final, there is a possibility of an all-London final, provided Arsenal are successful.

Wenger thinks that such a scenario would prove the quality in the Premier League and rejects that the rest of Europe is “bored” of England’s recent domination.

“It would be good for England but maybe not liked by the rest of Europe,” the manager said. “I would say it would be fantastic for England because it would show in the country we work well and the quality of our game is maybe the best in Europe.

“I believe what you want to see is quality. When you had four Spanish clubs in the Quarter-Finals I didn't think that was boring. I just asked what do they do differently to us, to get that success.

“The rest of Europe will not want us to repeat this success but it will be down to our quality.

“Let’s get one step at a time. We have learned a lot from our experience in the Champions League and I have learned one thing - you cannot miss five minutes in any of the two legs in the Quarter Finals, no matter who you play.

“Take our game against Liverpool, you could never predict what happened in that.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Newcastle United v Arsenal

Barclays Premier League, St James' Park

Saturday, March 21, 2009, 17:30

Arsène Wenger believes Arsenal must continue to play ‘catch-up’ until the end of the season.

The Frenchman takes his side to Newcastle on Saturday in fourth spot. It is a rare luxury.

Only once since mid-December, have they gone into a weekend fixture in the Champions League places.

Their lead is merely goal difference but momentum, form and opportunity are with them. On Sunday Aston Villa visit a Liverpool side buoyant after the historic humbling of Manchester United last week. After the international break, they go to Old Trafford.

Martin O’Neill’s side are bang out of form with a record of two draws and five defeats in their last seven games. That is why this is the perfect time for Arsenal to put clear blue sky between themselves and the Midlanders.

But, to do that, Wenger argues there must be no freewheeling. It is time to push the pedal to the metal as they have done to such great effect in past few weeks.

“I’m confident of course that we can finish fourth,” said Wenger. “We all know what has changed in that last two weeks.

“I always said it was down to our performances and now mathematically it is down to that quality. We have a big game tomorrow, we go to Newcastle who are fighting to stay in the Premier League and you know that you only get the points if you perform.

“Our only advantage is that we have had to prepare ourselves mentally to give absolutely everything in every game recently. If you look at our programme we only ever get away with it if we can achieve that.”

Sadly Theo Walcott saw his knee lock-up as he walked back from Friday’s training session. At the press conference an hour or so later, Wenger was unsure of the extent of the problem but if, as expected, it is a cartilage issue then the England international could be out until May.

Speaking to TV Online on Thursday, the manager suggested Eduardo would miss the trip to St James’ Park due to his on-going groin injury. But at the press conference the manager said he would be in the squad. Cesc Fabregas (knee) may be missing his last game before a return but Emmanuel Adebayor (hamstring) and Tomas Rosicky (hamstring tendon) are not as close.

While Arsenal are unbeaten in their last 20 domestic games, Newcastle have won just once in 2009 and are only out of the relegation zone on goal difference. Despite that – and their desperation on Saturday – Wenger feels they will not go down.

“The interesting thing about the game tomorrow is that both teams are interested in three points and not one,” said the 59-year-old. “I believe Newcastle have the quality to stay up. They have stabilised. They had some bad patches during the season but I still think in the last three or four months they have stabilised their results.”

That is certainly true of Arsenal too. They have conceded just three Premier League goals in 2009 and, after going four games without a goal, have now hit seven in their last two matches.

It is just a shame that they took so long to get it together because another eight points would have put them in the thick of the title race and, according to Wenger, that is still alive.

“I think it is interesting,” he said. “I watched a big part of the Manchester United-Liverpool game. For me Man United were the dominating team but I could see they were not sharp on the day physically and Liverpool took advantage. They are very good at doing that.

“Now can you ask if Man United are going to be a little bit jaded physically for a longer period or was it just on the day? If it is for a longer period then the title can still be open. If it was just on the day where they were a little bit tired, which I can understand, they will still win the title easily.

“But then nobody speaks about Chelsea and I wouldn’t rule them out personally because they have a squad with experience and they have the same number of points as Liverpool.

“Of course I would like to change the order of the top four to get in front of one or two teams. But it is not as much done as people think it is.

“Man United have a huge advantage because they have four points ahead and a game in hand. But it is still open because they all still have to play us.

“So for those reasons I feel it will be interesting.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Internationals: Sixteen Gunners called up

There are 16 Arsenal stars away on international duty for the latest round of World Cup 2010 Qualifying.

Read on for the full list of which players will be swapping Club for country over the next 10 days.
Player Profile - Abou DiabyFrance

Abou Diaby, Bacary Sagna, Samir Nasri, William Gallas, Gael Clichy
Lithuania v France, Kaunas, March 28
France v Lithuania, St Denis, April 1
As usual there is a strong Arsenal contingent in Raymond Domenech’s squad for their crucial double-header against Lithuania. Les Bleus are currently five points behind Serbia and Lithuania in Group Seven, with a game in hand.
Player Profile - Kolo ToureIvory Coast

Kolo Toure, Emmanuel Eboue
Ivory Coast v Malawi, Abidjan, March 29.
Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Eboue are both in the squad as the Elephants’ kick off their final qualifying group with a tough test against Malawi.
Player Profile - EduardoCroatia

Eduardo
Andorra v Croatia, Andorra La Vella, April 1
Eduardo has been called up for Croatia’s visit to minnows Andorra next week. Slaven Bilic’s men currently trail Group Six leaders England by five points but should have no trouble against Andorra who have only scored once in their four defeats so far.
Player Profile - Robin van PersieHolland

Robin van Persie
Holland v Scotland, Amsterdam, March 27
Holland v Macedonia, Amsterdam, April 1
Robin van Persie is in the squad for the Dutch double-header in Amsterdam. Marco van Basten’s men sit top of Group Nine with three wins out of three so far.
Player Profile - Carlos VelaMexico

Carlos Vela
Mexico v Costa Rica, Mexico City, March 28
Honduras v Mexico, San Pedro Sula, April 1
Carlos Vela has been called up by Sven-Goran Eriksson for El Tri’s two upcoming World Cup qualifiers. Mexico did not have the best of starts to this Qualifying Round, losing 2-0 in the United States on February 11.
Player Profile - Aaron RamseyWales

Aaron Ramsey
Wales v Finland, Cardiff, March 28
Wales v Germany, Cardiff, April 1
Wales can move to the top of Group Four with victories in their two Millennium Stadium clashes next week. John Toshack has once again called upon the services of Aaron Ramsey for the task.
Player Profile - Johan DjourouSwitzerland

Johan Djourou
Moldova v Switzerland, Chisinau, March 28
Switzerland v Moldova, Geneva, April 1
Johan Djourou is in the squad for Switzerland’s two clashes with rock-bottom Moldova. Six points could move the Ottmar Hitzfeld’s side above Israel and Greece, to the top of Group Two.
Player Profile - Lukasz FabianskiPoland

Lukasz Fabianski
Northern Ireland v Poland, Belfast, March 28
Poland v San Marino, Kielce, April 1
Lukasz Fabianski has been called up for Poland’s trip to Northern Ireland and their visit of whipping boys San Marino. Things couldn’t be tighter in Group Three, with four of the six teams locked on seven points.
Player Profile - Emmanuel AdebayorTogo

Emmanuel Adebayor
Togo v Cameroon, Accra, March 28
Despite not featuring for Arsenal since the North London derby draw on February 8, Emmanuel Adebayor has been called up for Togo’s World Cup qualifier against fellow African heavyweights Cameroon.
Player Profile - Nicklas BendtnerDenmark

Nicklas Bendtner
Malta v Denmark, Ta’Qali, March 28
Denmark v Albania, Copenhagen, April 1
Denmark currently sit pretty at the top of Group One, with a game in hand. They could put one foot in the World Cup proper with six points in their upcoming two fixtures. As usual, Nicklas Bendtner has been called up to Morten Olsen’s squad.
Andrey ArshavinRussia

Andrey Arshavin
Russia v Azerbaijan, Moscow, March 28
Liechtenstein v Russia, Vaduz, April 1
Russia, who currently trail Group Four leaders Germany by four points, have called up Andrey Arshavin for their two World Cup qualifiers. Guus Hiddink’s men could climb to first place with wins against Liechtenstein and Azerbaijan who are currently bottom and second-bottom respectively.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Silvestre fit and ready to push for honours

Mikael Silvestre is ready to lend his weight to Arsenal's push for honours after making a successful comeback in the Reserves on Monday night.

The French defender completed 90 minutes for the second string in their goalless draw at Chelsea - his first action since limping off after 30 minutes of the FA Cup tie against Plymouth on January 3.

At the time Arsène Wenger suggested that Silvestre would be out for just "three weeks" but he was eventually sidelined for more than two months. The 31-year-old explained why after Monday night's game.

"It has been the second injury for me," Silvestre told Arsenal.com.

"It was the same leg, my left leg, but this time it wasn't the muscle, it was the tendon, so that takes much longer to recover and you have to make sure it is completely healed before you can go back in the team. That’s why it was so long this time.

"It was very good to be back. There have been so many big games and the team is doing well so you want to enjoy that as much as you can and be involved. I am glad of our progress and hopefully I can join in now."

Silvestre was a rare older head in a young Arsenal side at Griffin Park, most of whom are eligible for the Youth Cup squad. The Frenchman was impressed by his teenage team-mates and will be an interested observer when the Under-18s face Manchester City in their Semi-Final second leg at Emirates Stadium.

"They are good," he said. "When the manager asked me to play in the Reserves I said 'no problem, I will' because I know I will enjoy myself because we play good football, we have good attacking skills. There is a good atmosphere in the Reserves.

"We could have won the game but a clean sheet is always enjoyable when you are a defender. The game was good from one end to the other, there were lots of chances for both teams. We should have scored in the first half, at least two or three, but after the last two defeats in the Reserve League the lads were pleased with a draw.

"I will be watching them in the Youth Cup, of course. It is a very interesting competition. We have the same in France and it brings back good memories for me when I watch the Arsenal youngsters."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Van Persie has that ‘unbeatable’ feeling

Robin van Persie is feeling “unbeatable”.

According to the Dutchman, his Arsenal side have cut out the “silly mistakes” that dogged the early part of their campaign. The striker even argues that Arsène Wenger’s side would have been in the thick of the title race right now had they remained relatively blip-free before Christmas.

Of course Arsenal’s Premier League ambitions are a little more mundane right now. Champions League qualification is their primary aim and they went a long way to securing that by moving three points clear of Aston Villa with a 3-1 win at Newcastle on Saturday. Nicklas Bendtner’s goal put the visitors ahead but Obafemi Martins replied immediately. However Van Persie set up Abou Diaby and Samir Nasri to secure a crucial win. According to the Dutchman, the comeback was never in doubt.

“I feel we are unbeatable,” he said. “I go out there thinking we can win every game.

“Even when Newcastle drew level I couldn’t help but feel confident. I never thought ‘oh no, we are not going to win’. When Martins scored the first thing I did was look at the time and I saw we had another half-hour left and I was convinced we would win.

“We are just not dropping points anymore. We are not doing those silly things which have cost us earlier in the season.

“I still look back at the dropped points and it hurts. We are 10 points behind Manchester United and six points behind Chelsea. They were silly mistakes and we lost some silly points against teams who we should have beaten. It is hard to take but that is football. It is a tough lesson to learn.

“But if we carry on in the same way we will not drop any more silly points and who knows what will happen in the League, the FA Cup and the Champions League? We are certainly coming into great form at just the right time.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Silvestre - My experience can help in April

Mikael Silvestre hopes his experience will hold Arsenal in good stead as they embark on an arduous April agenda.

Arsène Wenger's side kick off a run of seven games in 22 days when Manchester City visit Emirates Stadium on Saturday. The race for a top-four place is Arsenal's immediate focus but a Champions League tie with Villarreal looms large while an FA Cup Semi-Final with Chelsea is also packed into a hectic schedule.

April is traditionally a time when contenders push on, also-rans fall short - and the pressure mounts. Silvestre has seen it all before, scooping seven major trophies during his time with Manchester United. The 31-year-old returned from injury with the Reserves last week and intends to play his part on and off the pitch in the crucial weeks to come.

"I can help the young players deal with the pressure just by being with them and behaving like I have my whole career," Silvestre told Arsenal.com.

"Maybe they can learn from that but the talent is there. What I can give extra is my own experience. I don't make a long speech to them, I just behave normally and we get on with it.

"On the playing side I am doing my best to be ready every three days. I'm feeling good. I had been running for a while - probably a month - before the reserve game. So it's just a matter of getting some games in and get into situations which you can't have in training."

If Arsenal get past Villarreal in the Champions League, they will play an eighth April fixture - a Semi-Final first leg at either Porto or Manchester United. The prospect of facing his old club is an exciting one for Silvestre.

"It has been the case already this season so it wouldn't be the first time," he pointed out. "But obviously it would be a special occasion and I hope it's going to be the case."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Patient Gibbs sets his sights on silverware

Having already realised his season’s ambition of a Premier League debut, Kieran Gibbs is now setting his sights even higher.

Gibbs had already featured in the FA Cup, Carling Cup and Champions League before his first taste of League football against Tottenham in February.

And, speaking after playing 90 minutes for England Under-20s in their victory over Italy on Tuesday night, Gibbs admitted that his first-team breakthrough has instilled a fresh ambition – silverware.

“At the start of the season I set myself the target of a Premier League debut,” he told Arsenal.com. “But now I have done that I think, hopefully, we have got a chance to win something this season.

“We are still in big competitions, we’ve got a good chance and a very good squad. We’ve just picked up form again and I don’t see why we can’t go on and win something this year.

“So I would say that is my target.”

Arsenal’s left-back slot is a position where understudies have had notable success in recent years. Ashley Cole had to overcome the talented Silvinho, then Gael Clichy took his opportunity when Cole left for Chelsea in 2006.

But Gibbs won’t take much comfort from that trend, preferring to concentrate solely on his own development.

“I’m not looking too much at the past,” he said. “I just want to bring my own side of the game into it and keep playing, keep enjoying my football.

“Hopefully I have shown in my last few games what I can do there. I am just looking to carry on really.

“Having had a taste of the first team it can be difficult [to wait] but I am still learning the game. Obviously it is a big club so I need to be patient.

“I am sure - like I have been given the chance before - I will get it again.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Silvestre - We've improved in all departments

The title is almost certainly beyond Arsenal's reach this year, but it should be within their grasp next season.

That's the view of Mikael Silvestre, and he should know. The French defender has four Premier League medals from his time with Manchester United and has seen enough in his first season at Emirates Stadium to suggest that Arsenal can mount a sustained challenge next term.

Arsène Wenger's side are unbeaten in the top flight since November - a run stretching back 16 games - and Silvestre believes that Arsenal's young players have made a significant improvement.

"They are definitely better than when I arrived," he told Arsenal.com. "There have been some patches where we couldn't get the consistency but now with the confidence and the number of goals we score, even if we had some draws in the Premier League, overall the performances have been really good. All the players have improved in every department.

"It has been very good progress. We can see that in the build-up of our game and in our attacking positions. Also, every player knows his job better than they did at the beginning of the season. That makes the team play better."

Silvestre is convinced by Arsenal's quality but he has warned against the perils of a sluggish start when the 2009/10 campaign gets underway. The Gunners lost five of their first 14 Premier League games this season and, according to the Frenchman, a repeat performance would leave them with too much to do.

"We've got to believe that we can challenge next season," said Silvestre. "If we build on this season, which is not finished yet, there is a lot of reason to think that we must challenge from day one for the title.

"You have to make a quick start, of course, because all the best teams take points. As soon as you drop two or three points, the gap is really big."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 2-0 Manchester City

Barclays Premier League, Emirates Stadium

Saturday, April 04, 2009, 15:00

* Adebayor 8, 49

Emmanuel Adebayor celebrated his return by bagging both goals in Arsenal’s comprehensive 2-0 victory over Manchester City at Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

The Togolese striker capitalised on assists from Cesc Fabregas to net eight minutes into the first half and four minutes in the second as Arsène Wenger’s side extended their unbeaten Premier League run to 17 games.

The Spaniard was also making a comeback after three-and-a-half months out while Theo Walcott returned following a more modest fortnight on the sidelines.

The visitors created a number of clear chances at the end of the first half but, that aside, this was Arsenal at their best.

They left the pitch six points clear of fifth-place Aston Villa. Martin O’Neill’s side have a game in hand but that comes on Sunday when they have to go to Old Trafford to face the Premier League leaders.

They have it all to do.

Wenger brought all his fit-again players into the side as the Premier League returned after the final international break of the season - Fabregas (knee), Adebayor (hamstring) and Walcott (knee). Alex Song was the other addition from the 3-1 win at Newcastle a fortnight ago.

International injuries created the gap to accommodate that quartet. Samir Nasri (flu), Robin van Persie (groin), Abou Diaby (thigh) Nicklas Bendtner (knee) had all picked up problems while they had been with their countries. Only the Dane had recovered enough to be on the bench.

During the break, every English clock had been altered. We were now on “British Summer Time” and, it seemed, British Summer weather too. Emirates Stadium was coatless this afternoon and some brave souls were in shortsleeves. The end of the season was nigh.

Arsenal had been building up to it very nicely. A 16-game unbeaten run in the Premier League had been recently laden with wins not draws. As a result, Wenger's men came into this game three points clear in fourth place and hoping to create some blue sky.

But, of course, first they had to beat a team in sky blue.

Man City would have the opening chance of the game and some clear-cut opportunities towards the break but little would go their way inbetween.

In the fifth minute Craig Bellamy burrowed through the left and his artless ball in the area was hurriedly cleared by Denilson to Nigel de Jong. The midfielder’s low curling shot was foiled by a sprawling stop from Almunia.

Man City had not won away in the Premier League since August and were lacking a little confidence. Arsenal were the opposite and it was no surprise to see them take the lead with their first real attempt. Sagna was fouled near the right-hand touchline by Robinho and Fabregas’ free-kick was floated to the far post for Adebayor to steer a header through a crowded area into the far corner.

Poor defending had created the chance. Two Man City defenders went for the same ball and Adebayor did not have to leave the floor to win it in the air. It was the 24-year-old's first goal since the trip to Hull on January 17, his ninth in the Premier League and his 13th overall this season.

The visitors seemed to feel sorry for themselves after the goal and Arsenal kicked on.

Fabregas had a header held by Shay Given, Denilson and Adebayor saw efforts blocked then Kolo Toure dribbled through on the right only to have his drive batted away by the Irishman at the near post.

Arsenal were having all the play and possession. They seemed to be almost toying with their opponents. But, as the half went on, the visitors did start to have chances. Though you could argue that, initially at least, it was down to sloppiness by the home side rather ingenuity from the visitors.

Shaun Wright-Phillips nearly sneaked home a cross-cum-shot from the right before Almunia intervened on the line. Then around the half-hour Micah Richards and Gelson Fernandes both went clear in the Arsenal area. The first chance was saved by Almunia’s legs and the second grazed the outside of the post.

Seven minutes before the break, Mark Hughes made his second enforced substitution. Wayne Bridge had been forced off early on for Fernandes now Vincent Kompany also went hobbling from the pitch. His replacement was Elano.

The changes had done nothing to interrupt a fast, flowing game. Almunia raced out to deny Bellamy on the edge of the area then Given dived full length to turn aside a low, angled drive from Arshavin.

At the break, the game was as close as the scoreline suggested.

However that would change four minutes after the restart. Fabregas scooped a tantalising pass over the head of Richard Dunne to Adebayor. The beanpole striker collected, danced past Given and tucked away a simple finish.

Song powered a header over the bar a couple of minutes later as Arsenal started to flex their muscles once again. And the Fabregas-Adebayor axis nearly worked again soon afterwards but Given held on to the striker’s effort. Then Walcott powered a shot wide.

Arsenal were back in their stride.

The one-way traffic would continue before Adebayor and Walcott made way for Bendtner and Eboue midway through the half.

Given was earning overtime, most notably when he turned aside a spectacular drive from Walcott. The Irishman also saw William Gallas thump a cross-shot just over the bar.

Eboue slashed an effort high a couple of minutes after coming on. And when Robinho was substituted shortly afterwards it really summed up Man City’s day.

Fabregas joined him on the sidelines with 12 minutes left but, in contrast, his walk off was cheered to the rafters.

His side would be afforded the same ovation when the whistle went shortly afterwards.

It had been a very satisfying afternoon.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'We had a strongly balanced performance'

On the assured performance against Man City…
“We had a strongly balanced performance, offensively and defensively against a good Man City side, especially in the first half. In the second half we completely took over and maybe should have scored more goals. Overall I am pleased because there is a lightness back in the team and the way we play. Everybody looks to enjoy, and play without the handbrake or any restriction. That is good to see.”

On the return of Cesc Fabregas…
“It was a good team performance. I think Cesc had Denilson and Song behind him who did a good defensive job for him. That meant he could dedicate more of his energy to the offensive task.

“He likes to come deep and play the long balls. At the moment he is still in the phase where he gets to know all the aspects of the game – in defence and attack – so I use him a little bit to adjust the balance of the team. Today I felt I had the choice to put Arshavin in behind Adebayor but then I had to move one of the central midfielders wide. I just felt it was more balanced like that.”

On paying the price for early-season defeats…
“I believe if we had just won two more games where we have drawn we could [be right up there]. But maybe the other teams could say that as well. We have played 31 games today and we are 17 unbeaten but that means that in the first 14 we have lost five. To win the championship after losing five in the first 14 cannot work.

“It shows what I said since the start of the season; when a team is young like that, they can improve. They have shown that now, we go from strength to strength, and we’re not the same team that we were in August or September – that is normal. I always said I believe in them because they have mental strength, hunger and they work very hard in training. They still have room for improvement.”

On travelling to Villarreal after comprehensive victory…
“We go into this Champions League game in a good state of mind. You know as well that you must perform on the day which demands focus, belief and a high level of commitment - that is what we want. Of course if you go in without belief or confidence it is much more difficult. We know that to go to Spain you always need to be at your best to come back with a strong result.

“I believe in the quality of our side and the best way to show that is to do well in all three competitions. The first sign of quality is consistency and that’s why I am very happy that we have such a consistent run in the Premier League. You want to repeat the performance every three days and that’s the challenge we face now until the end of the season.”

On shuffling his pack for the trip to Spain…
“I don’t know [what changes I will make]. I don’t know if we lost Walcott today, I don’t believe so. We have a little opportunity to get Van Persie back, a very small one to get Nasri back. We lose Arshavin who is not eligible and we have absolutely no chance to have Diaby or Eduardo available.”

On leaving contract talk until the end of the season…
“I believe what is highly important now is to focus on what is in front of us and not talk about all the rest. The rest won’t help us to win games and that’s why I don’t want to make any comment on players leaving or contracts until the end of the season. It is a young team and it’s important that we focus just on our performances.

On moving six points clear of Aston Villa…
“We are in a good position now and that wasn’t obvious three weeks ago. We want the biggest possible distance from Aston Villa because we still have a difficult schedule; we play Liverpool, Man United and Chelsea. Three weeks ago we would have signed to be in this position.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Three face fitness tests for Villarreal trip

Arsène Wenger is hoping to have Robin van Persie and Samir Nasri back for the trip to Villarreal on Tuesday.

The Dutch striker (groin) and French midfielder (flu) will undergo fitness tests after Monday morning training but, when he spoke to the media before the session, the manager sounded optimistic that both would return. Theo Walcott also faces as examination on the knee he hurt in Saturday’s win over Manchester City but he is expected to board the plane to Spain for the Champions League Quarter-Final first leg.

“Robin van Persie will make a test this morning,” said Wenger. “He had an encouraging test yesterday but now we have to push him into more sprints and resistance work with opponents to see if he has a set-back. He is a 50:50.

“Samir Nasri will test but he looks positive because he had a good test on Sunday. If he has no set-back he will travel.

“Theo Walcott should be alright. He has a test as well this morning but we are not worried for him.

“The only two who will certainly not travel are Abou Diaby (thigh) and Eduardo (groin).”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Ade - I couldn't watch games after Euro exit

Emmanuel Adebayor refused to watch Champions League games after Arsenal’s exit last season.

The Togolese striker has more reason than most to want his side to lift the “trophy with big ears” in Rome on May 27.

The 24-year-old was an unused substitute when Monaco lost to Porto in the 2003 Final and was cup-tied when Arsenal lost to Barcelona in the showpiece game three years later.

In fact, Adebayor has not won a major prize since he moved from Togo to French football a decade ago. So he is desperate for success in the FA Cup or Champions League this season. And Arsenal’s progress in the latter competition will be severely tested this week when they visit Villarreal in the Quarter-Final first leg. Last season, they were knocked out at this stage by Liverpool in highly controversial fashion.

"As a player, you always dream of winning things,” he said after his brace against Man City on Saturday.

“When I joined this club, I was told by most of my friends and team-mates that I had a great chance of winning something. But for the last three years I have gone on holiday having not won a trophy and with an empty heart. Now it's the time to achieve things.

“I didn't watch the Champions League last year [after we went out]. I switched off as I couldn't bring myself to watch it.

“That means I will do everything and give everything to play in it and once you are in the Semi-Finals anything can happen.

"We know it will be very difficult. We are expecting a hard game and a very good atmosphere in Villarreal. As a kid, I always dreamed of playing in a Champions League Quarter-Final and now I just want to enjoy it.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - We have no time for contract talks

Arsène Wenger will not discuss contractual issues with his players until the end of the season.

The Arsenal manager has publically admitted he is hoping to secure Theo Walcott and Robin van Persie on long-term deals, while the future of Cesc Fabregas continues to hog the back page headlines.

But with the team hoping to secure fourth place in the Premier League plus a trophy or two in the Champions League and FA Cup, Wenger will not let personal matters outweigh those of the team.

“My thinking is that we focus completely on short-term and not long-term because we have such important targets in front of us.

“We have to show maturity and get rid of all the talks that are not helping us to win the games.

“We play every three days and we cannot sit around with the players, we have to focus completely on the short-term.

“We can always talk to the agents and I believe when a player comes back from an away game you do not want a player sitting around the desk at 8am, you want him to recover and rest and prepare for the next game.

“We have taken this approach because we have a tight schedule and we know that every game is decisive for us.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Adebayor has got back on track

Arsène Wenger believes that Emmanuel Adebayor is "back on track" after a slow start to the season.

The Togo striker returned from a two-month absence against Manchester City on Saturday with both goals as the Gunners tightened their grip on a Champions League qualifying spot.

Adebayor's brace took his tally for the season to 14. The 25-year-old has perhaps not scaled the heights of last year when he netted 30 times in all competitions but Wenger expects him to play a big part in a vital month for the Club.

“I believe he was like the team with a start that was not completely convincing and now he is back on track," said Wenger. "He looks confident and is determined again. And his body language is positive.

“He is there to get on the end of crosses, and we have a few players who can do that. Nicklas Bendtner is good in the air, Alex Song nearly scored two goals in the air so it looks all there at the moment but it’s important we have the focus and we keep the drive we had on Saturday going.”

With Adebayor, Cesc Fabregas and Theo Walcott back in the fold, and Robin van Persie, Eduardo, Samir Nasri and Abou Diaby all on the road to recovery, Wenger will have an embarrassment of attacking riches at his disposal. It’s a prospect which excites the Frenchman.

“We have Bendtner, who has played in nearly every game recently, we have Eboue and we have Nasri, Diaby, Eduardo, Van Persie," he said. "I don’t speak about Rosicky because he has not played for a long term, but we have five or six players who have not played.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Nasri, Walcott passed fit for Villarreal tie

Theo Walcott and Samir Nasri have been passed fit to face Villarreal in the Champions League on Tuesday.

Walcott suffered a minor knee problem against Manchester City on Saturday while Nasri returned from international duty last week with flu. Both players are available for the Quarter-Final first leg.

However, Robin van Persie will not travel to Spain after failing to shrug off a groin injury. Arsène Wenger had given the Dutchman a "50:50" chance of making the 18-man squad but he misses out.

Eduardo (groin), Abou Diaby (thigh) and Tomas Rosicky (groin) are also unavailable on Tuesday night.

Arsenal squad to face Villarreal:
1 Manuel ALMUNIA (GK)
3 Bacary SAGNA
4 Cesc FABREGAS
5 Kolo TOURE
8 Samir NASRI
10 William GALLAS
12 Carlos VELA
14 Theo WALCOTT
15 DENILSON
17 Alex SONG
18 Mikael SILVESTRE
20 Johan DJOUROU
21 Lukasz FABIANSKI (GK)
22 Gael CLICHY
25 Emmanuel ADEBAYOR
26 Nicklas BENDTNER
27 Emmanuel EBOUE
40 Kieran GIBBS

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Pires: I'm not angry at Wenger for Final snub

Even though Arsène Wenger handed him “the worst moment of his career”, Robert Pires will take the trouble to thank the Arsenal manager after Tuesday night’s Champions League tie at Villarreal.

The French midfielder was sacrificed for keeper Manuel Almunia in the 2006 Final after Jens Lehmann had been sent off in the 18th minute.

As it turned out it was the last appearance of Pires’ Arsenal career. Just days after that game he told Wenger he was leaving for Villarreal but not before he asked for an explanation for that decision at the Stade de France.

“The final in Paris was the worst moment of my career and two days afterwards I went to Arsène Wenger to speak about two things,” said Pires on Monday night.

“The first thing was that I would leave and join Villarreal. The second thing was that I wanted to know why he took me off in the Final.

“He said that with me the team would have played more defensively.

“I don’t feel angry with Arsène Wenger at all and when I see him I will thank him.

“But I thought I would end my career there. In the Final in Barcelona you could see that Wenger had lost his confidence in me. So I left to join Villarreal.

“I have been in contact with Arsène Wenger for the past three years. He is a manager I won’t be able to forget because I learnt so much from him. He made me play and win trophies at a very high level. That is important for a club and a player.”

And Pires' star is still shining. He will be 36 in October and yet has just been handed a contract extension at a side who, like Arsenal, are hoping to reach the Champions League Semi-Final for the second time in four years.

The Frenchman himself is even prepared to look beyond that.

“People don’t see Villarreal as potential winners of the Champions League,” he said. “But we think that we can get to the Final and then it is a one-off game.

“I would like to thank the President and the General Manager here for giving me another year - that means a lot to me. And I would love to end this season with a title.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Villarreal v Arsenal

UEFA Champions League, Estadio El Madrigal

Tuesday, April 07, 2009, 19:45

While El Madrigal was magical for Arsenal in 2006, this evening Arsène Wenger knows he faces a different and more diverse threat as his side return to the scene of one of their great moments in European football.

Three years ago, the Frenchman secured his club’s first appearance in the Champions League Final with a 0-0 draw at Villarreal’s tight, intense stadium.

Arsenal came into that Semi-Final tie with only Kolo Toure’s first leg goal to their credit. They looked like holding on until the final minute when Gael Clichy gave away a highly contentious penalty. Jens Lehmann’s stop from Juan Roman Riquelme was momentous and ranks right up there as the most important saves in the Club’s history.

But it also masked a desperate performance from Wenger’s men.

On the night, Arsenal displayed nerves not present in the Final against Barcelona a few weeks later. It seemed that they were almost scared of what they were about to achieve.

They were the antithesis of a Wenger side - inhibited, unsure of themselves and without rhythm.

The situation is very different tonight and, of course, both sides have changed since then. Only Emmanuel Eboue, Toure, and Cesc Fabregas remain from the starting XI on April 25, 2006. Villarreal have lost Riquelme and Diego Forlan but gained Robert Pires direct from Arsenal’s team in that game plus Giuseppe Rossi from Manchester United. They still have Marcos Senna, the bulldozing midfield star of Spain’s Euro 2008 win, but crucially lost his partner Santi Cazorla with a broken leg on Sunday.

"This time [Villarreal coach] Pelligrini has built a team with a different style,” said Wenger. “The first time it was built more on the counter-attack whereas this time it's more about collective pressure.

“When we played against them three years ago they were a team who basically focused on defending and played on the break with Diego Forlan and Jose Mari.

“They gave the ball to Riquelme who would play good long passes and good final balls.

“But since then they have transformed into a team who are more capable of making the game. The danger comes a bit more from everywhere rather than one single style of play.

“In midfield they have Senna and Ariel Ibagaza, who is a playmaker for them as well. They have Pires, who we know about of course. So they can all give a good final ball in this team.

“I believe it is more down to how well we defend as a team on Tuesday night. When we played against them three years ago we knew that if we kept Riquelme quiet we had done a big part of the defensive job. Then if you take care of Forlan’s runs then you have a good chance.

“So it’s a difficult draw for us. They are a team that has a difficult style to cope with. They have a South American way of playing and it is down to us to deal with it. But in the Quarter-Finals of the Champions League you do not expect an easy game.”

Wenger’s travelling party included Samir Nasri who has recovered from flu while Theo Walcott was passed fit despite getting a bang on his knee in Saturday’s 2-0 win over Manchester City. However Robin van Persie (groin) failed a fitness test just before the team departed North London and was left behind with Abou Diaby (thigh) and Eduardo (groin).

You could argue that this is the forgotten tie of the Champions League Quarter-Final. The games involving the favourites, Manchester United and Barcelona, have understandably drawn Europe’s gaze while Liverpool v Chelsea is always going to fill column inches both in England and abroad.

Villarreal and Arsenal are both fourth in their domestic tables after a season in which their title ambitions barely began. So you sense both teams are happy to ‘sneak’ into the last four and take their chances from there. But that is not to say Wenger won’t be positive given his side's fine form of late.

“Yes, that’s what we try to do,” said Wenger. “You ask Villarreal and they would tell you exactly the same. I believe we are two outsiders who play against each other.

“But although it is a real 50:50 game what is really important for us is to go to Villarreal and try to score.

“We must have a positive attitude because that will have a big impact in the second game.”

Certainly Arsenal can not play any worse than they did last time.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Villarreal 1-1 Arsenal

UEFA Champions League, Estadio El Madrigal

Tuesday, April 07, 2009, 19:45

* Senna 10

* Adebayor 66

A stunning strike from Emmanuel Adebayor left Arsenal with a significant advantage after their Champions League Quarter-Final first leg at Villarreal on Tuesday night.

Arsène Wenger’s side had been second best in the first half. A 10th-minute strike from Marcos Senna was the least the Spanish hosts deserved after flying into the visitors from the first whistle.

However the interval would be Arsenal’s salvation. They dominated Villarreal after the restart and grabbed an exquisite equaliser in the 66th minute when Adebayor chested down a pass from Cesc Fabregas before unleashing a sumptuous overhead kick into the far corner.

Both sides could have forced a winner after that but Arsenal deserved their draw and will be much the happier with this result.

If they avoid a defeat or a high-scoring draw at Emirates Stadium next week they will reach the Champions League Semi-Final for only the second time in their 123-year history.

Given their recent form and the lingering injury to Robin van Persie, Wenger’s team selection was entirely expected. He sent out the same side as Saturday with Samir Nasri, fit after flu, replacing the ineligible Andrey Arshavin.

It was the now familiar 4-2-3-1. You could argue it was a variant on the 4-5-1 that had seen Arsenal to the Champions League Final with a draw on this ground three years ago.

For their part Villarreal sprang a surprise as Manuel Pellegrini opted to leave Robert Pires on the bench. The pre-match previews had been based around the Frenchman who served Arsenal so well from 2000 to 2006.

An hour or so before kick-off he was happily chatting with current team-mate Pascal Cygan, who had followed him here from North London, Johan Djourou, Emmanuel Eboue and Arsène Wenger.

If, as he had said the night before the game, the Arsenal manager had handed him the “worst moment of his career” when he had replaced him with Manuel Almunia after 18 minutes of the 2006 Final, then there was clearly no lasting bitterness.

The same was probably not true of the Villarreal fans. Wenger’s men had robbed a side that had only entered top flight Spanish football a decade ago of the opportunity to feature in Europe’s top club fixture.
Before kick-off, El Madrigal was swathed in yellow and full of noise. Arsenal were whistled and booed. They were on enemy territory tonight.

Villarreal were quickest off the grid once the game began and, fittingly, it was a man named Senna who got the goal.

In the opening minutes Joseba Llorente had seen a shot blocked and Gonzalo Rodriguez nearly forced home a right-wing corner, colliding with Manuel Almunia in the process. The Spanish side were stalking Arsenal at a tempo the visitors could not match. Theirs was an incessant game based on perpetual motion and crisp passing.

That said, the goal was avoidable. In the 10th minute Senna collected the ball 25 yards out in space. He was not closed down quickly enough so decided to let fly. The ball may have swerved in the wind, clipped a defender or Almunia may have been unsighted – but it still should not have found the top corner of the net.

Arsenal had barely got themselves going and they were 1-0 down

It was a stark reminder of the way Wenger’s men had played on this ground three years ago. Jens Lehmann’s last-minute penalty save has understandably squeezed out the memories of a desperately disjointed display on the night.

Certainly this side have shown themselves to be made of sterner stuff than that since the turn of the year. So it was no surprise to see them respond. In the 18th minute, Nasri’s low shot was turned aside at the near post by Diego Lopez and the keeper then spectacularly tipped wide a header from William Gallas. Neither knew the Frenchman had been adjudged offside.

By the midway point of the half, Arsenal had just about shaken off their bad start. However the same could not be said of Almunia and that early collision.

In the 27th minute the keeper was replaced by Lukasz Fabianski. It was only the second Champions League appearance for the Pole.

Naturally the 23-year-old’s inexperience would be tested early. He dived full length to turn away an angled drive by Senna and recovered to block a follow-up effort from Joan Capdevila at the near post.

Villarreal could now sense insecurity in Arsenal once more and turned the screw. Rossi drove straight towards goal and was brought down by a combination of William Gallas and Alex Song on the edge of the area. The latter got a booking the former got an injury. Kolo Toure deflected Ariel Ibagaza’s free-kick wide and the same player then found Sebastian Eguren from the resulting corner. The centre back nodded inches over the bar.

Four minutes from the break Clichy was turned by Rossi on the right-hand byline and he tapped the ball back into the path of Cani, who blazed over. It was clear to Wenger that Gallas was now struggling so Johan Djourou replaced him two minutes before the break.

On the whistle, Arsenal did have the ball in the net but Cesc Fabregas’ free-kick was deemed too quick by referee Tom Henning Ovrebo who booked the Arsenal captain.

It nearly proved so costly. Eight minutes after the restart, the Spaniard brought down Capdevila and was lucky to escape a second yellow card.

Arsenal had emerged from a break like a new side. For the first time in the game they managed to put Villarreal on the back foot though chances were still at a premium. Nasri nearly weaved his way through and Adebayor steered a header wide, Arsenal were now controlling the game but not testing the keeper.

That was until the 66th minute.

Then again, Lopez was not extended by the equaliser. Like the rest of us he could only stand stock still in admiration.

Fabregas clipped a seven-iron of a pass to Adebayor on the edge of the area. In one fluid movement the Togolese striker chested the ball down and hooked an acrobatic shot into the far corner.

It was his 15th goal of the season and, like the brace on Saturday against Manchester City, was expertly supplied by his captain.

It was such a fine strike that even Wenger wanted to shake hands with the scorer as he returned to his own half for the restart.

Now it was Arsenal’s turn to go for the kill. Nasri nearly added another from distance before Pellegrini took action by bringing Pires off the bench.

With 14 minutes left, Fabregas stole the ball in midfield and set up Walcott, who fired over the bar.

Just when Villarreal were starting to look like a spent force, they rallied. Senna sent a Howitzer of a shot inches over the bar then Mati Fernandez escaped in the right of the six-yard box but the waiting strikers could not turn in his shot.

Arsenal looked for a winner until the final whistle. And, when it came, the muted applause told you everything about who had taken the spoils on the night.

This tie is not over but it is leaning one way.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'These young players always find an answer'

On securing a vital away draw…
“Both teams played well at a high tempo and in an offensive way. Villarreal started stronger than us and the early goal made it very difficult. But In the second half, it was a great response and we took over. It puts us in a great position, but we want to qualify at home and to repeat the type of performance we did in the second half.

On the chances of progressing in eight days time…
"I am confident, [because of] the quality we have shown added to the mental strength and desire we have shown. But we know Villarreal are a good team as well, so we will be on our toes and focused at Emirates. We have a little chance to recover some players who are out as well. But before that we have a big game at Wigan and we need not to lose other players."

On the character shown by his young side to bounce back…
"This team has shown the whole season they are mentally very strong and when they have back to the wall, these young players always find an answer which is very interesting for a young team. I believe we have created momentum. We are a very young team, but are able to focus. We have shown with the consistency we have in the Premier League that we are able to concentrate every three days, and at that age, that is a big quality."

On Emmanuel Adebayor’s spectacular volley…
"It was a great goal, but it was a great game as well. [The goal] was unexpected. At the start his body was a bit in the wrong position to score, but he managed to turn that into an advantage for him. After we had many dangerous situations where we could have scored a second goal."

On the injuries to William Gallas and Manuel Almunia…
"With Gallas, it looks quite serious and could be medial knee ligament injury. We will have to assess it. I am not a doctor, but the first signs do not look too good. Manuel is a reoccurrence of an ankle injury, which probably will be a couple of weeks."

Seite 26 von 41 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 40 41

Moderated by  toubi 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Winamax VfB Stuttgart
Winamax VfB Stuttgart VIP Tickets Gewinnspiel
Gewinnspiele
500 € Tippspiel EUROPA-Torschützen.
von pik7 - 18/04/2024 07:54
550 € DFB-Pokal Torschützencup 23/24
von pik7 - 05/04/2024 20:19
Betano - Welcome
Wer ist jetzt online
19 members (Gamera, Bambi, AllesSuper, grottenoli, Haiefan, doogie, BjoernT4Y, Flip160, Hackentrick, caro), 2,283 Gäste, und 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Poster(30 Tage)
Haiefan 93
pik7 48
Forum Statistiken
Forum25
Themen1,439
Beiträge121,280
Mitglieder3,864
Am meisten online8,723
Feb 16th, 2016
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Spielen mit Verantwortung - Responsible Gaming
Wetten Sie nicht über ihre Verhältnisse.

Wenn Sie oder jemanden, den Sie kennen, ein Problem mit Spielsucht hat, raten wir Ihnen, dass Sie Hilfe von einer dieser anerkannten Organisationen in Betracht ziehen:

18+ Glücksspiel kann süchtig machen - Hilfe finden Sie auf www.bzga.de

Gamblers Anonymous
Webseite www.gamblersanonymous.org

Gambling Therapy
Webseite www.gamblingtherapy.org

Weiterführende Links finden Sie auch außerdem weiter unten bei unseren Partnerseiten.

Unsere Partner & Links:
Bundesliga Tippspiel - Forum Gluecksspielsucht - gamCare - begambleaware - Wettbonus - Wettbasis - Flashscore
DATENSCHUTZ
IMPRESSUM