bet365
Winamax VfB Stuttgart
Winamax VfB Stuttgart VIP Tickets Gewinnspiel
ShoutChat
Kommentarrichtlinien: Posten Sie respektvolle und aufschlussreiche Kommentare. Kein Flamen, Hassen, Spam.
Neuste Mitglieder
Fancy_Franzi, Gamera, danny, gRuBer, Sport
3,864 Registrierte Mitglieder
bwin - Sportwetten Bonus
Bookie-News
Winamax Bonus Aktionen
von BjoernT4Y - 18/03/2024 16:48
Geburtstage heute
Es gibt keine Mitglieder mit Geburtstagen an diesem Tag.
Vorheriger Thread
Nächster Thread
Thread drucken
Bewertung: 5
Seite 18 von 41 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 40 41
Beigetreten: Dec 2007
braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger backing Walcott for Under-21 role

Arsène Wenger might prefer Theo Walcott to have a long rest next summer but he would have no problem if the Arsenal winger represented his country at the European Under-21 Championships instead.

Walcott has played a key role in guiding England to the brink of next year's tournament but has since been promoted to the senior team, scoring a stunning hat-trick against Croatia in last month's World Cup qualifier in Zagreb.

The 19-year-old is expected to remain in Fabio Capello's squad for the forseeable future but the Under-21s manager, Stuart Pearce, would like to call on Walcott for this month's play-off against Wales and, if they qualify, next summer's showpiece.

[Linked Image]

At his pre-match press conference, Wenger pointed out that few players successfully return to Under-21 duty after establishing themselves in their full national sides. However, the Frenchman does not think it would harm Walcott's career.

"I would not be against it," said Wenger. "When they go from a top team to the Under-21s with all the examples I have seen it doesn't really work.

"I have seen it many times with young players and it has never worked very well. But I can understand that England wants to use him. He is 19 years-old and if he can contribute to the Under-21 team, why not?

"I had that in France with Thierry Henry and Nicolas Anelka when they were already in the top team and then went below. It is never conclusive.

"But Theo would be happy to do it and I would not stand in his way."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger urges 'zero tolerance' for crowd abuse

Arsène Wenger has urged the football authorities to root out individuals who abuse players.

The Arsenal manager called for action after racial and homophobic abuse was directed at Portsmouth defender Sol Campbell during their victory against Tottenham last Sunday.

[Linked Image]

Hampshire police are investigating events at Fratton Park and Wenger was asked for his opinion at his pre-match press conference on Thursday. The Frenchman was very clear - he wants a 'zero-tolerance' policy towards perpetrators of any abuse at football grounds.

"My reaction is that abuse cannot be tolerated from anybody towards anybody in the world," said Wenger.

"How can you fight against it? You can single out people who do it. You can punish them individually by not letting them in, then maybe single out a group of people who go from game to game and do it.

"Sometimes stupidity is contagious as well and sometimes in the crowd there is a competition to see who can be more stupid. That is why you should not let these people be together.

"First of all, there is a big tolerance and the abuse only becomes singled out when it is racism. That is not the only abuse which you get in the stadium, but maybe people only get touched by it when it is racism. Insults of any kind should not be tolerated either."

The treatment handed out to Campbell proved that England still has work to do to stamp out crowd abuse in the domestic game. However, Wenger still believes that this country is a role model for others in Europe.

"I think the racist abuse is much worse in some other countries than in England," he said. "I believe that England has shown the right direction and the right way by not tolerating it and has done much more than any other country maybe in the game.

"That's why the problem we saw [at Fratton Park] comes up again because people don't accept it. In this country I find they are a model to copy. Most of the time when you visit other countries you meet this problem when you go more down to the south."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Sunderland 1-1 Arsenal

Barclays Premier League, Stadium of Light

Saturday, October 04, 2008, 15:00

Cesc Fabregas headed home in stoppage time to rescue Arsenal from defeat at the Stadium of Light.

Grant Leadbitter's spectacular strike just five minutes from time seemed to have given Sunderland victory but the Spanish midfielder met Robin van Persie's corner with seconds remaining to secure the visitors a point they certainly deserved.

Arsenal could have had more if Van Persie's effort had not been wrongly ruled out in the second half. Theo Walcott's hooked cross was rifled in by the Dutchman but the linesman indicated that the ball had gone out of play before Walcott had retrieved it. Replays suggested the goal should have stood.

Leadbitter's stunning 25-yard strike appeared to have rubbed salt in Arsenal's wounds Arsène Wenger will seek some solace in Fabregas' late intervention. Nonetheless, after a defeat and a draw in two Premier League games, his players have much to do when they return from international duty in a fortnight.

Wenger opted for one change from the side which beat Porto in midweek. Alex Song was available again after a hip injury and was brought straight back in to add ballast to Arsenal's midfield. It was Song's 50th appearance in English football, although some of those games came on loan at Charlton. Samir Nasri dropped to the bench as Wenger plumped for a 4-2-3-1 formation with Fabregas given greater licence to get forward.

Nasri's omission may have been an acknowledgement from Wenger that he expected a stern physical test from Sunderland. Indeed, all the ingredients were there if you enjoy the stereotype of a tough day in the north for Arsenal - a biting, swirling wind, persistent drizzle and determined opponents. You sensed the visitors would need steel as well as style at the Stadium of Light.

[Linked Image]

In the event, neither side mastered the difficult conditions in a scrappy first half. While Arsenal struggled to exert their usual authority on proceedings, Sunderland too often left Djibril Cisse isolated up front. As a result clear-cut chances were at a premium.

In fact, the first opening came about while William Gallas was replacing his boots on the sidelines. Song took time to drop back into central defence and Sunderland took advantage as Dean Whitehead raced onto a through-ball. Kolo Toure's sliding tackle had to be perfectly timed - and it was.

After 11 minutes Arsenal had their first opening. A short corner found Fabregas on the edge of the Sunderland box but his cross held up in the swirling wind en route to Adebayor and the Togo striker couldn't time his leap well enough, heading well over the bar.

Fabregas, Adebayor and Denilson tried pot-shots - not a bad idea in these conditions - but failed to test Craig Gordon.

Indeed, the better chances were being carved out at the other end. On the quarter-hour Walcott was dispossessed by Kieran Richardson, who slid the ball to Cisse. Manuel Almunia raced out to deny the Frenchman from a narrow angle. Two minutes later Cisse collected the ball in the right channel and, having assessed his options, lashed in a shot which Almunia tipped over the bar. Arsenal were guilty of failing to close down Cisse - a mistake which cost them dear against Hull's Geovanni last weekend.

As the half drew to a close, the visitors enjoyed a decent spell of pressure as Fabregas dropped deeper and, as a result, saw more of the ball. Nine minutes before the break Walcott found a couple of yards of space for the first time and whipped in a low cross. Van Persie lurked at the far post but Gordon dived to claim the ball ahead of him.

Nonetheless, it was a sign that Arsenal were finding their groove and they started the second half with plenty of purpose.

After a long spell of possession Fabregas found Walcott on the right and the teenager drove a low ball across the six-yard box but no Arsenal player gambled and the danger passed.

Then came the game's moment of controversy. Walcott battled his way to the right-hand byline and, as the ball bounced away from him, the 19-year-old hooked his boot around it and cut it back for Van Persie to rifle past Gordon. Arsenal's celebrations were cut short by a linesman's flag who ruled that the ball had gone out of play. To compound Arsenal's woes, TV replays contradicted the official.

Sunderland had their moments - Richardson tested Almunia from distance, Reid curled a free-kick straight at the Arsenal keeper and Cisse shot over after Denilson had lost possession - but the visitors were enjoying most of the ball and most of the territory. It seemed just a matter of finding a way through the Black Cats' back four.

Nicklas Bendtner replaced Walcott and made inroads almost immediately, finding Adebayor after a jinking run. Once again, the Togolese was crowded out. Then Wenger brought off Denilson and brought on Nasri; the Frenchman had a sight of goal with 15 minutes left but could only poke his effort at Gordon.

With nine minutes left Arsenal came even closer. Excellent build-up play involving Bendtner left Van Persie through on goal just eight yards out. The Dutchman's right-foot shot was on target but Gordon stood tall to block. Worst was to follow as Leadbitter emerged from the bench to fire home an unstoppable effort from 25 yards.

Arsenal threw everything forward in a desperate attempt to rescue a point and they were rewarded when Fabregas leapt to head home Van Persie's corner. The Gunners could have won and they came so close to losing, but a draw was probably a fair result.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'We had possession but we lacked sharpness'

on the game…
“Well they gave us the ball and they said 'listen, we are happy with the 0-0, do what you want'. Basically the story of the game was that they did not only get the 0-0 but they almost won the game. We had a lot of possession but lacked a bit of sharpness to get them out of position and they defended very well. And on one of the rare occasions where we could score a goal the ball was given out. On the other hand, with one of the rare shots on goals they had, they scored. In the end we needed character to come back and at least get a point. Is it a good point or a point? I don't know. But it was a bit of a frustrating day for us, we didn't create the chances we usually do and as well because I must say Sunderland defended very well."

on Robin van Persie's disallowed goal…
“Well from the bench my neck is not tall enough to see if the ball was really out or not. Theo pretends that the ball was in, I would love to believe him of course but anyway it doesn't change anything now, it has not been given.”

on TV replays proving it was a valid goal…
“That's just another appeal for video. You cannot appeal on video but if a manager had two appeals per game then in this one I would have used it of course.”

on whether it was a fair result…
“It was a result. It depends what you call fair. If you take the possession and the initiative it was all us, but they defended with a great spirit and they were resilient for the whole game. I like to think the team who takes the initiative is rewarded but it's not always like that in football. We lacked a little bit of sharpness to pull them out of position.”

on why Arsenal created little…
“I believe it is down to the quality of their defending, they just focused on that. They never came out of position. Secondly, sometimes after a Champions League match we are very sharp or a little bit flat. Today we were a bit flat.”

on Cesc Fabregas…
“It shows he is just not a great footballer but a great winner. He is one of the smaller players in our team and he goes for the header in the last seconds of the match, it tells you a lot about him."

on why Cesc is not captain…
“Because he is a bit young and because we have a captain.”

on this game as a learning curve for younger players…
“Yes, they used all their experience - Dwight Yorke - to slow us down. You could see that we have quality but sometimes you play a draw in these kind of games. It can happen.”

on the formation…
“They congest the middle of the park and we wanted to use a bit more of the flanks. We finished with a 4-4-2 in the last 25 minutes and we looked more dangerus because it suits us a bit more. But it is always difficult to rate whether it was because we were a bit tired or because of the shape. It's difficult to know.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Almunia - ‘Mean streak’ transformed Walcott

Theo Walcott's new 'mean streak' has made him the most exciting young player in English football, according to Manuel Almunia.

The Arsenal winger was tipped for great things when he arrived in north London in January 2006 and his career has taken off this season with a string of fine performances at club level and that memorable hat-trick for England in Croatia.

Walcott is a popular figure off the pitch, affable and down to earth. However, Almunia believes that a more hardened attitude on the pitch has helped Walcott scale new heights in recent months.

[Linked Image]

"Theo was too nice maybe in the last two years but this season you can see that when he gets tackled he gets furious and that shows you he has changed," said Almunia.

"When he used to take a tackle he didn't reply with anything, he didn't say anything to the referee or the opposing player. He would get tackled and stay on the floor, and he would never say anything. Now I like him more on the field.

"I tried to help everybody who comes to me and Theo is very nice. Sometimes he likes to speak to more experienced players, older players like me. I just spoke with him once, I told him he had to be a bit more aggressive and not so nice on the pitch because if people can kill you they will do so."

Now Walcott has shed his 'Mr. Nice Guy' image on the pitch, Almunia believes he can be a huge asset to Arsenal and England for years to come.

"I can only say that Theo is beautiful playing football," said the goalkeeper. "To me he is like a machine, it's unbelievable. I enjoy it a lot when I see Theo playing in training, and also because he is a very nice guy.

"He is by far the most exciting young English player I have ever seen. His skills are incredible and I am sure that over 100 metres he would get a good time. With the ball also he is very good technically.

"He has a lot of discipline, he is a very complete player. Theo is growing up and I think it's going to be great for England."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Silvestre - I feel fine after Arsenal debut

Mikael Silvestre reported no ill-effects after making his first appearance in an Arsenal shirt on Monday night.

The French international was hampered by a muscular strain after arriving from Manchester United in August and, since recovering, has been an unused substitute in three successive first-team games.

In an effort to regain his match sharpness and push for a first-team place, Silvestre completed a full 90 minutes against Stoke City at Underhill. The 31-year-old looked calm and composed as Neil Banfield's side earned a 3-2 victory.

"I feel good," declared Silvestre afterwards. "I got through the 90 minutes without any discomfort or pain and physically I felt at the same level as my team-mates so it felt good.

[Linked Image]

"The boss [Arsène Wenger] asked me if I wanted to play because it was a long time since I last played competitively, back in August or July with United. Before I get back with the first team it was good for me to play and get something other than training.

"It was a perfect run-out before playing with the first team. It is a good level in the Reserve League and getting to know my young team-mates was a good experience.

"It is not a surprise [to see how good the young players are] because most of the first team are 20, 21-year-olds so the quality is always there. I expected the same quality in the Reserves and most of them train with the first team so I knew them already.

"It is the way the Club is set up," added Silvestre. "Everything is done to play good attacking football so the players enjoy it and you just have to make sure you give 100 per cent in the challenge because if you don’t get the ball you can't play the nice football."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
International Watch: Walcott set for Wembley

Over the next week a host of Arsenal players will be swapping their usual shirts for those of their respective countries.

Arsenal.com will bring you all the news of how they got on, starting with a run down of the games they will be playing in.
Player Profile - Theo WalcottEngland

Theo Walcott
England v Kazakhstan, Saturday 11th, Belarus v England, October 15th.
Fabio Capello’s side made the best possible start to their World Cup 2010 qualifying campaign with two wins from their opening two games. The Three Lions host Kazakhstan at Wembley on Saturday before a tough trip to Belarus.

Player Profile - Gael ClichyFrance

Bacary Sagna, William Gallas, Gael Clichy, Samir Nasri (stand-by)
Romania v France, October 11th, France v Tunisia, October 14th.
A win and a draw in Les Bleus’ two opening Group Seven fixtures see them occupying fourth spot. It won’t get any easier as they face a difficult trip to Romania before hosting Tunisia in a friendly.
Player Profile - Cesc FabregasSpain

Cesc Fabregas
Estonia v Spain, October 11th, Belgium v Spain, October 14th.
Two wins, five goals scored and none conceded see Spain sitting pretty at the top of Group Five. The European champions are on the road twice in a week, first travelling to bottom-placed Estonia before a trip to Belgium.
Player Profile - Kolo ToureIvory Coast

Kolo Toure, Emmanuel Eboue
Ivory Coast v Madagascar, October 11th.
Ivory Coast will play their final Africa Group Seven fixture at the weekend when they host Madagascar with the Elephants aiming to continue their unbeaten run in qualifying.

Player Profile - Robin van PersieHolland

Robin van Persie
Netherlands v Iceland, October 11th, Norway v Netherlands, October 15th.
Holland will be hoping to cement top spot in Group Nine with their two fixtures. A trip to Iceland is followed by a tricky-looking tie in Norway.
Player Profile - Carlos VelaMexico

Carlos Vela
Jamaica v Mexico, October 11th, Canada v Mexico, October 15th.
Group leaders Mexico will play two away games in four days in Group Two of the North and Central America and Caribbean section. This time it is Jamaica and Canada hoping to change the 100 per cent record currently held by Sven Goran Eriksson’s men.

Player Profile - Alexandre SongCameroon

Alex Song
Cameroon v Mauritius, October 11th.
With qualification from the first group phase of African qualification assured, the Indomitable Lions host Mauritius in their final Group One fixture. The visitors have only managed one point in their five group games.
Player Profile - Johan DjourouSwitzerland

Johan Djourou
Switzerland v Latvia, October 11th, Greece v Switzerland, October 15th.
After just one point from their opening two Group Two games, Switzerland will be aiming to get their qualifying campaign back on track. They host third-place Latvia before travelling to Euro 2004 winners Greece.

Player Profile - Lukasz FabianskiPoland

Lukasz Fabianski
Poland v Czech Republic, October 11th, Slovakia v Poland, October 15th.
Poland sit top of Group Three after the opening round of matches and they host seeds Czech Republic before travelling to Slovakia.
Player Profile - Nicklas BendtnerDenmark

Nicklas Bendtner
Denmark v Malta, October 11th.
After their dramatic late win against Portugal in the last round of qualifying matches, the Danes will be hoping to climb to the top of Group One when they host pointless Malta on Saturday.
Player Profile - Aaron RamseyWales

Aaron Ramsey
Wales U21 v England U21, October 10th, England U21 v Wales U21, October 14th.
Wales Under-21s’ European Championship qualifying campaign reaches its conclusion when they face a two-legged play-off against England with a place at next summer’s Finals at stake.
Player Profile - Wojciech SzczesnyPoland

Wojciech Szczesny
Under-19s European Championships October 12th-26th.
The 18-year-old goalkeeper will join up with his Polish team-mates as they compete in the Under-19s European Championship in Sarajevo.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Mixed fortunes for Arsenal's internationals

A host of Arsenal players are away on international duty, swapping their usual shirts for those of their respective countries.

Arsenal.com will bring you all the news of how they got on, starting with a run down of last weekend's World Cup qualifiers.
Player Profile - Emmanuel AdebayorTogo

Emmanuel Adebayor
Togo 1-0 Swaziland, October 11th.
Emmanuel Adebayor returned to international duty in style, scoring four goals as Togo beat Swaziland in their latest World Cup qualifier. There were doubts over the Arsenal striker's participation in Accra but, to Swaziland's disappointment, Adebayor was there and in top form. Salifou Moustapha had given Togo a 16th-minute lead before Adebayor struck just before the half-hour mark. Olufade Akekami netted on the stroke of half-time before Adebayor ran riot in the second half, scoring after 46, 71 and 85 minutes.

Theo Walcott
England 5-1 Kazakhstan, Saturday 11th, Belarus v England, October 15th.
Theo Walcott started for England as Fabio Capello's team maintained their 100 per cent start to their World Cup qualifying campaign. After a frustrating first half Rio Ferdinand broke the deadlock with a header and Alexandr Kuchma's own goal gave the Three Lions some breathing space. A mistake from Ashley Cole let in Zhambyl Kukeyev but England responded with three goals in the last 13 minutes from Wayne Rooney (2) and Jermain Defoe. Walcott caused plenty of problems in the first 25 minutes but faded slightly and was replaced by David Beckham with 11 minutes remaining.

Bacary Sagna, William Gallas, Gael Clichy, Samir Nasri (stand-by)
Romania 2-2 France, October 11th, France v Tunisia, October 14th.
Bacary Sagna played a full 90 minutes as France fought back to rescue a point in Romania. Les Bleus were reeling when Florentin Petre and Dorin Goian put the hosts two up inside 17 minutes but Frank Ribery reduced the deficit before half-time and Yoann Gourcuff equalised with 21 minutes left. France sit fourth in their qualifying group, two points behind co-leaders Serbia and Lithuania. William Gallas missed Saturday's game with an injury while Gael Clichy was not involved.

Cesc Fabregas
Estonia 0-3 Spain, October 11th, Belgium v Spain, October 14th.
Cesc Fabregas came off the bench for the final 20 minutes as Spain continued their flying start to World Cup qualification. The European champions top Group Five with maximum points from three games after Juanito, David Villa and Carles Puyol saw off Estonia. Spain have yet to concede but face a tricky trip to Belgium in midweek.
Player Profile - Kolo ToureIvory Coast

Kolo Toure, Emmanuel Eboue
Ivory Coast 3-0 Madagascar, October 11th.
Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Eboue both started as Ivory Coast strengthened their grip on their preliminary qualifying group with a comfortable 3-0 victory against Madagascar. Boubacar Sanogo's double put the Elephants in charge before the hour mark and Salomon Kalou sealed the points in the 66th minute. Eboue was replaced after 63 minutes and Toure was substituted nine minutes later.

Robin van Persie
Netherlands 2-0 Iceland, October 11th, Norway v Netherlands, October 15th.
Robin van Persie missed Holland's comfortable win over Iceland after picking up an injury in training. The Dutch shrugged off the loss of the Arsenal forward thanks to a goal in either half from Joris Mathijsen and Klaas Jan Huntelaar. Holland top Group Nine with two wins out of two. Scotland are two points adrift in second place but have played a game more.

Carlos Vela
Jamaica 1-0 Mexico, October 11th, Canada v Mexico, October 15th.
Carlos Vela played a full 90 minutes but could not stop Mexico suffering a setback in their bid to qualify from the North, Central America and Caribbean section. The Arsenal man picked up a yellow card as Ricardo Fuller scored the only goal of the game for Jamaica. Mexico are still well-placed to reach the World Cup Finals; only goal difference separates them from preliminary group leaders Honduras.

Player Profile - Alexandre SongCameroon

Alex Song
Cameroon 5-0 Mauritius, October 11th.
Alex Song was not involved as Cameroon opened up a seven-point lead at the top of their preliminary group with a 5-0 win over Mauritius. Samuel Eto'o opened the scoring in the 26th minute and added a second from the penalty spot two minutes after the break. Albert Meyong Ze also netted a brace either side of Jean Makoun's 71st-minute strike.

Johan Djourou
Switzerland 2-1 Latvia, October 11th, Greece v Switzerland, October 15th.
Johan Djourou played the first half as Switzerland got their World Cup qualifying campaign back on track with a 2-1 win against Latvia. The Arsenal defender was replaced by Mario Eggiman at the break with the game goalless. Switzerland made the breakthrough just after the hour mark thanks to captain Alexander Frei and, although Deniss Ivanovs grabbed an equaliser, Blaise N'KUfo scored the winner with 17 minutes left. Despite their win, Switzerland still trail group leaders Greece by five points after three matches.

Lukasz Fabianski
Poland 2-1 Czech Republic, October 11th, Slovakia v Poland, October 15th.
Lukasz Fabianski was an unused substitute as Poland went top of Group Three with an impressive 2-1 win over the Czech Republic. Pawel Brozek and Jakub Blaszczykowski scored either side of half-time to put the Poles in charge and, although Martin Fenin struck three minutes from time, Fabianski's team held on. They are ahead of Slovenia on goal difference after picking up seven points from three games.
Player Profile - Nicklas BendtnerDenmark

Nicklas Bendtner
Denmark 3-0 Malta, October 11th.
Nicklas Bendtner was not involved as Denmark opened up a two-point lead at the top of Group One. Soren Larsen fired the Danes ahead against Malta and added his second and Denmark's third a couple of minutes into the second half. Liverpool defender Daniel Agger converted a first-half penalty as Denmark maintained their unbeaten start to the World Cup qualifying campaign.

Aaron Ramsey
Wales U21 2-3 England U21, October 10th, England U21 v Wales U21, October 14th.
Aaron Ramsey set up two goals for Simon Church to keep Wales in contention for a place at the European Under-21 Championships next summer. David Wheater, Adam Johnson and Gabriel Agbonlahor gave England a 3-2 win in the first leg of their play-off but the Arsenal youngster caused Stuart Pearce's problems throughout. Ramsey and Wales will look to overturn the deficit in the second leg at Villa Park on Tuesday.
Player Profile - Wojciech SzczesnyPoland

Wojciech Szczesny
Under-19s European Championships October 12th-26th.
The 18-year-old goalkeeper will join up with his Polish team-mates as they compete in the Under-19s European Championship in Sarajevo.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Walcott is O2/Arsenal.com Player of the Month

Theo Walcott's sparkling form for club (and no doubt country) has earned the teenager the 02/Arsenal.com Player of the Month award for September.

There were already signs that Theo had stepped up a gear this season but he exceeded all expectations at the start of the month, netting a sensational hat-trick as England beat Croatia 4-1 in Zagreb. England's youngest ever hat-trick scorer carried that form into the domestic game with an influential display against Blackburn, where he set up the opener for Robin van Persie and caused endless problems for the Rovers back four.

Theo operated on the right flank throughout the month and his soaring confidence made him a frightening prospect for opposition defences. Bolton and Porto also struggled to deal with the 19-year-old as he enjoyed the best month of his career to date.

Theo polled over a third of the fans' votes in our September poll. Emmanuel Adebayor finished second after scoring five goals in September, while Van Persie came third.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - I don't know how to save Uefa Cup

The Uefa Cup has become an increasingly hard sell, according to Arsène Wenger.

Last month, it was announced that the famous old competition would undergo major changes next season. It is to be re-branded as the Europa League and extended to include more teams.

There would be an initial 12 groups of four. The top two sides in each would then join the eight third-placed Champions League clubs in a 32-club knockout stage.

The Arsenal manager is not convinced that the changes will breathe life into the competition. But he has sympathy for the administrators charged with lifting its profile

“Its [future] is linked with the media interest and the fans’ interest,” he said speaking before the international break. “And one thing is for sure, the media interest has gone down because it has become very difficult to sell the competition, apart from in England maybe. That is why I don’t know how you can save the competition.”

He went on: “In fairness to the people who’ve had to think about this, it is a difficult problem. It seems to have become a competition that does not interest the media anymore before it gets to the Quarter-Final.

“Before that [point] it is very difficult to find the answer. I personally have not found the answer and I don’t know if people will.

“We live in a modern world where people have access to the best and want to see the best. That is why it is very difficult to sell it now.

“People nowadays have a choice. And because they have a choice they do not want to see a second-graded competition.

“It is good that people try to find a solution to make the Uefa Cup attractive but I am not convinced there is an answer.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Internationals: Fabregas reigns with Spain

A host of Arsenal players are away on international duty, swapping their usual shirts for those of their respective countries.

Arsenal.com will bring you all the news of how they got on with a complete round-up of the week's international action starting in Brussels.

Cesc Fabregas
Belgium 1-2 Spain, October 15th.
Cesc Fabregas came on after 16 minutes as Spain came from behind to maintain their 100 per cent start to their qualifying campaign. Belgium took an early lead through Club Brugge striker Wesley Sonck after seven minutes but Spain were level 10 minutes before the break. Fabregas slipped an inch-perfect pass to Andres Iniesta who rounded the keeper and finished from a tight angle. It looked as if Belgium had managed a creditable draw against the European champions but David Villa headed home two minutes before time to secure the points for Spain. Fabregas suffered a suspected broken nose during proceedings but was able to finish the game.

Theo Walcott
Belarus 1-3 England, October 15th.
Theo Walcott played 68 minutes for England as they maintained their 100 per cent start in Group Six with a comprehensive victory in Belarus. Steven Gerrard handed the hosts the lead after 11 minutes but the visitors pulled level on the half-hour. Despite looking threatening throughout the first half, Belarus fell behind five minutes after the break when Wayne Rooney slotted home from close range. The Manchester United striker wrapped up the victory 15 minutes from time when he capped a superb three-man move with a deft finish from just inside the area.

Robin van Persie
Norway 0-1 Holland, October 15th.
Robin van Persie came on after 56 minutes as Holland battled to a 1-0 win against Norway in Oslo. A turgid affair was finally settled two minutes after the hour when Mark van Bommel lashed home a volley from distance to hand the visitors the victory. The three points keep Holland top of Group Nine with three wins from thee games, while Norway sit fourth.

Carlos Vela
Canada 2-2 Mexico, October 15th.
Carlos Vela was withdrawn after 67 minutes of Mexico’s 2-2 draw against spirited Canada. The hosts took the lead through Ali Gerba after 12 minutes but Mexico levelled just after the half-hour when PSV defender Carlos Salcido saw his effort deflected home. Tomasz Radzinski put Canada back in front 10 minutes after half time but they couldn’t hold on. Matias Vuoso equalised once again for the visitors after 64 minutes to send them a point clear of Honduras at the top of North, Central America and Caribbean Group Two.

Johan Djourou
Greece 1-2 Switzerland, October 15th.
Johan Djourou was forced to sit out Switzerland’s vital 2-1 victory in Greece because of injury. The result put an end to Greece’s 100% record in Group Two and moved the Swiss to just two points off the top. Alexander Frei and Blaise N’Kufo struck either side of an Angelos Charisteas goal to hand the visitors all three points.

Lukasz Fabianski
Slovakia 2-1 Poland, October 15th.
Lukasz Fabianski was an unused substitute in Poland’s dramatic 2-1 defeat in Slovakia. Bolton loanee Ebi Smolarek had put the visitors ahead after 70 minutes when he prodded home a low cross but a quickfire double from Jakub Blaszczykowski secured victory for the hosts. Poland goalkeeper Artur Boruc dropped a routine catch in the 85th minute allowing Blaszczykowski to finish an easy chance and he grabbed his second a minute later to move Slovakia top of Group Three.

Aaron Ramsey
England U21 2-2 Wales U21, October 14th.
Aaron Ramsey’s excellent display was not enough to stop Wales succumbing to a 5-4 aggregate defeat to England in their European Championship play-off on Tuesday night. Ramsey had created both Welsh goals in the first leg and picked up where he left off in the second. Tom Huddlestone had given England a 13th minute lead but Ramsey’s pile driver from 25 yards leveled the scores. The 17-year-old was involved again four minutes later when he set-up Simon Church to make it 2-1 to Wales. Sam Vokes put into his own net 10 minutes before the break and the 2-2 final score was enough to hand England passage to next year’s Under-21 European Championships.

Gael Clichy, Bacary Sagna, William Gallas
France 3-1 Tunisia, October 14th
Gael Clichy and Bacary Sagna played 90 minutes of France’s friendly victory over Tunisia on Tuesday night. Issam Jemaa had fired the visitors into a shock 30th minute lead but Thierry Henry struck either side of half time to put the hosts in control. Lyon striker Karim Benzema put the result beyond doubt after 58 minutes when he slid home Les Bleus’ third.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Gallas, Sagna and Bendtner out for two games

Arsenal have suffered “heavy losses” during the international break.

William Gallas (hamstring), Bacary Sagna (knee) and Nicklas Bendtner (ankle) will all miss Saturday’s Premier League game against Everton plus Tuesday’s trip to Fenerbache after picking up injuries with their countries.

When he spoke to Arsenal TV Online on Thursday lunchtime, Arsène Wenger was also unsure over the fitness of another three players who collected knocks on international duty. Cesc Fabregas (broken nose), Robin van Persie (muscular) and Johan Djourou (concussion) will undergo tests but the manager suggested they would be available.

On the upside, Abou Diaby is set to be named in the Arsenal squad at the weekend for the first time this season after recovering from a thigh problem.

However that was merely a silver lining to the news that has clouded the Club’s return to action this weekend.

[Linked Image]

“Unfortunately we have lost some players over the 10 days – William Gallas (hamstring), Bacary Sagna (knee) and Nicklas Bendtner (ankle),” said Wenger.

“These are heavy losses and we have to compensate them.

“Fortunately the three of them don’t look to be out for a long, long time but they will be out for the weekend game and I think the game on Tuesday.

“As well as them, Djourou got concussion during his game with Swizterland and will be assessed tomorrow to see if he is available. He does not look too bad and he could have a good chance to play.

“I am still waiting for Robin to come back [after international duty] so I don’t know about him. However he should be OK. He went with a muscle problem but he came on after 56 minutes last night and, from the reports I got, he should be alright. Both of them will be assessed.

“Also I am told Cesc has a broken nose. It should not stop him playing. He is here now [at the training ground] and is being assessed.

“At least Abou Diaby is back in the squad again,” the manager added. “Even though he has not played games he will be used, at the least in the squad, because we have lost those three players.”

Arsenal TV Online subscribers will be able to see the full video interview on Friday morning. In it, Wenger talks about: England’s fine week, the problems of France, Robert Pires’ call that Wenger should take over, Aaron Ramsey’s display for Wales Under-21, Everton’s stuttering form, the longevity of David Moyes, the ‘new start’ after the international break, the points Arsenal have missed this season and claims of ‘inexperience in the squad’.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Fabregas - I am 100 per cent behind the boss

Cesc Fabregas is “100 per cent” behind his manager and young team-mates believing they have the collective quality to challenge for the title once more.

The Spaniard returned to Arsenal’s training ground on Thursday afternoon with a broken nose sustained on international duty over the past week.

However the injury is unlikely to stop the 21-year-old playing against Everton on Saturday. Fabregas is the lynchpin of the Arsenal midfield and Wenger’s faithful lieutenant in a very young side.

[Linked Image]

Likewise, the self-proclaimed ‘veteran’ has unshakeable belief in the man who signed him from Barcelona five years ago – especially his confidence in younger players.

“Arsène has built an unbelievable squad here,” said Fabregas.

“We have great spirit and I have complete trust in the manager’s policy.

“Arsène is the best at giving youngsters a chance. No-one else comes close to him for that. He doesn’t care how old you are, as long as you are good enough and has the confidence to give young players a chance.

“Anything said to the contrary is simply not true and I would like to reiterate to all Arsenal supporters that I am 100 per cent behind the team and the manager.

“The future is bright,” Fabregas went on. “Players like Denilson, Theo Walcott and Samir Nasri have shown real class this season and I’m positive we have the quality to challenge for the title.

“Yes we do have a lot of young players, but they have all shown they can handle it at the top level in the Premier League and Champions League.

“It’s hard to imagine I’m one of the oldest players at the Club now but it will be a privilege to help guide some of these youngsters through.

“We’re the envy of every other club and it’s so exciting to be a part of that.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 3-1 Everton

Barclays Premier League, Emirates Stadium

Saturday, October 18, 2008, 15:00

* Nasri 48,
* Van Persie 70,
* Walcott 90

* Osman 9

Arsenal staged a storming second-half comeback to record a welcome 3-1 win over Everton at Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

Having picked up just one point from their previous two Premier League games, the home fans were highly concerned when Leon Osman’s sliding shot gave the visitors a ninth-minute lead.

In truth, Arsenal were pretty average for the remainder of the first half but woke up after the interval when Theo Walcott came on.

Three minutes in, Samir Nasri fired home his third goal of the season from the edge of the area. After that Arsène Wenger’s side assumed command and, in the 70th minute, their pressure told when Robin van Persie headed home from close range after a scramble. Walcott himself added a third at the death.

This was not vintage Arsenal but after their recent domestic results and a catalogue of injuries, the win was enough.

They will finish the weekend in the top four and a victory at Fenerbache on Tuesday will put one foot in the Knockout Stages of the Champions League.

Despite their travails, it is handy position in which to find themselves at this point of the season.

Wenger was forced into major defensive changes as the Premier League returned after the international break.

National duty had cost Arsenal the services of William Gallas (hamstring), Bacary Sagna (knee), Nicklas Bendtner (ankle) and Johan Djourou (concussion). As a result, Mikael Silvestre made his debut at centre half, Alex Song was withdrawn into the right back berth and Emmanuel Eboue was stationed in front of his fellow African. In the absence of Gallas, Kolo Toure took the captain’s armband.

[Linked Image]

In the build-up to this game, Wenger had said that today felt like the start of a new season. Certainly the sunshine smacked of mid-August but, in fact, Arsenal would be caught cold.

After a bright start, Everton took the lead in the ninth minute. Osman collected a knockdown just outside the area and spread the ball wide to Steven Pienaar on the left. He skipped around Song and sent a low cross into the area. Osman timed his run perfectly to slide in a low shot just inside the near-post.

Arsenal were both stunned and agitated. Despite the distractions of the Champions League and international break, the last two domestic games has brought just one point – including that defeat against Hull at Emirates Stadium. It would have been none had Fabregas not equalised at the death at Sunderland last time out. Either way it was not enough.

They needed a win today and, therefore, an immediate response aswell. They nearly got it on the quarter-hour when Fabregas clipped a long ball forward the sprinting Van Persie. He chested the ball clear of Joleon Lescott, the last covering defender, however his shot was straight at Tim Howard. A major, major chance.

Everton nearly profited immediately. A quick break ended with Osman letting fly from 30 yards. Silvestre flung out a foot and, thankfully for the home side, the ball drifted well past the post.

This now felt like a ‘proper’ game of top-flight English football. The two-week hiatus had seen the dying embers of summer finally extinguished. It was overcoat weather and Arsenal were up against a committed and organised Everton side. It was old-fashioned fare.

The home side’s response had all the energy you would expect. In the 15th minute, Song curled a cross to the far post, Fabregas knocked the ball down for both Denilson and Adebayor to be crowded out. Then Eboue fed Van Persie, who wastefully blazed over the bar.

However, in between, Pienaar escaped from Denilson close to the left-hand byline but his low cross had to be hastily smothered by Manuel Almunia. Everton were doing what they had to do – attack where they could but protect that lead at all costs.

On the half-hour, Tim Howard punched clear after Van Persie winged in a free-kick from the right.

But although the pressure was still with Arsenal they looked fragile in defence.

Eight minutes from the break, Everton played a short corner to Mikel Arteta. The Spaniard floated the ball to the far post, Almunia tried to collect but was fairly blocked off. Lescott rose highest and directed his header back towards the near post. Fortunately Clichy had stuck to his station. The Frenchman chested the ball down and hacked it clear.

Yet again, Arsenal had been in danger of conceding a soft goal.

Just before the whistle, Fabregas found space on the right of the area and fired a low cross-shot past Howard.

However it had been one of those halves for Arsenal. After conceding early they had been frustrated by a side whose main qualities were simple effort and organisation.

Wenger made a significant change at the break. Toure, who had received lengthy treatment in the first half, was brought off for Walcott. It meant Song moved to centre back and Eboue to the right side of the defence.

The move made a difference. But not before Almunia had been forced to tip the ball away from the feet of Yakubu after the Nigerian striker had been given far too much room in the area.

Results often hang on moments like that and three minutes after the restart Arsenal were level when Silvestre set up Nasri to spear home a shot from outside the area through a ruck of players and into the corner.

Arsenal were now going for broke. Van Persie stung the hands of Howard with an angled shot then fizzed an effort over the bar when he should have done better.

There was a flashpoint on the hour when Tony Hibbert went in heavily on Denilson. The Everton defender was booked for the challenge as was Clichy for his reaction.

The visitors were now playing the game with 10 men behind the ball. Arsenal were pushing them back to such an extent that Yakubu was an isolated figure up front.

Eventually the pressure told and with 20 minutes left the home side’s constant probing was rewarded. Adebayor went clear on the left of the area but surprisingly spurned the opportunity to shoot, instead he squared the ball to Fabregas who saw his shot saved by Howard. However the American keeper had only batted the ball back into the area and Van Persie was on hand to steer his header just inside the far post.

A couple of minutes later the Dutchman could have killed the game when he jumped well clear of the Everton defence to meet a Fabregas corner. However his header went high over the bar.

But by this time Everton seemed a spent force. Their reaction was minimal and Arsenal made sure when Walcott fired a low shot through the legs of Howard in injury time

The England winger had been the catalyst of Arsenal’s comeback.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'I was confident we could change the game'

On coming from behind to win…
"What was very important today was that the team has shown personality by being 1-0 down. We played our season today, we could not afford to drop a point.

"The way we responded when we were 1-0 down was of course vital. I wasn’t nervous at half time because I had confidence and belief that we would change the game."

On Walcott’s impact…
"I felt that it is a bit of a shortcut because I believe that the game changed before he came on. Everton had a strong start but we had three or four chances in the first half and in the last 20 minutes of the first half. You could see we were on top and that our domination would certainly increase during the second half.

"Theo came on and did very well and had an impact on the game of course but I feel the whole team played very well. It was a good test today for the team because it was a smashing game against a good Everton side. We were not only good today but we have show personality and mental strength which will be very important for the rest of the season.

"I don’t deny that I am happy and I am the first one to say that Walcott did very well when he came on. It is difficult to measure that and I believe that the whole time had constant pressure in the second half and that did not come from only one man."

On his defensive tactics…
"We were 1-0 up against Hull and we lost the game by sloppy defending. I felt that the team needs reassurance first defensively. We were in a position where we had to attack in the second half and then suddenly we look more balanced. If I decide to move Emmanuel Eboue into midfield at the start it is because I wanted a bit of defensive security. You can say to me it didn’t work and I would say ‘yes we are 1-0 down’. I knew that we could come back and score goals."

On Silvestre’s debut…
"I felt he was like the rest of the team at the start; a little bit nervous. In the first 20 minutes I thought my team were a little bit nervous. Like the team, Silvestre grew throughout the game and he had an outstanding second half."

On Hibbert’s challenge on Denilson
"It was not a good challenge but I don’t think the challenge deserved the red card. The addition of the challenge and Hibbert’s reaction, altogether, the bill could be a red."

On his injury problems…
"For Tuesday, I don’t believe we will get William Gallas or Kolo Toure back. [Nicklas] Bendtner maybe, [Johan Djourou] maybe. [Samir] Nasri could be fit for Tuesday. Toure twisted a ligament in his shoulder and he looks to be out. We have to assess that tomorrow morning but it doesn’t look too good."

On seeing Chelsea run riot at the Riverside…
"For me, big results like that have no meaning. 5-0 Is not the difference between Middlesbrough and Chelsea. I watched the first 20 minutes and you could see that Middlesbrough has one of these days. They had a bad day at the office today. Every little deflection went for Chelsea and they didn’t ever need to get out of second gear to win the game. I don’t believe we saw the real Middlesbrough today, they are a good side and it is a difficult place for everybody to go."

[Saturday, October 18, 2008]

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Fabregas - Contract story is mischief-making

Cesc Fabregas has dismissed reports that he has turned down a new contract as "mischief-making".

It was suggested in Sunday's newspapers that the Spanish midfielder had refused a deal, perhaps paving the way for a move away from Emirates Stadium. However the 21-year-old has flatly denied the story.

[Linked Image]

"A newspaper report suggesting that I have rejected a new contract is untrue," he said.

"The article is just mischief-making. Everybody knows I have a long-term contract and that I am happy here. I'm focussed on doing my best for Arsenal."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Van Persie - We have to prove mental strength

Arsenal have to prove their mental strength in each and every game this season, according to Robin van Persie.

The Dutchman feels Saturday’s second-half comeback against Everton demonstrated, once again, that Arsène Wenger’s side have no problem with their psyche.

The 25-year-old striker, who scored the crucial second goal, argues his young Arsenal side learnt from last season when they led the table for so long but faltered towards the end.

"You are playing at home with 60,000 people behind you and it is a bit disappointing when you go 1-0 down," he said. "But you have to think positive.

"I missed a few chances and was not happy about that but you have to keep going and that is one of the reasons why you play at the top.

"At this time, in football, the mental aspect is really important, maybe more than 30 or 40 per cent [of the game]. If you look at the matches against Bolton and Blackburn, the mental aspect was more important than the way we wanted to play.

[Linked Image]

“I do not think it is a real big problem for us but every single time we have to prove it again.

“Last season we played fantastic for three-quarters of the season and then suddenly everything fell down.

“I do not know if the reason was mentality, maybe it was a bit of everything, but we learned a lot from last year.

“The season is long. We've lost some points but we've won some as well so we just have to stay positive.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Nasri's flying start is a surprise

Samir Nasri's early-season form has been a big bonus for Arsène Wenger.

The French midfielder has netted three times in six starts since his summer move from Marseilles and has developed a happy knack of scoring important goals. Nasri grabbed the winner against West Brom on the opening day of the season, broke the deadlock in the Champions League qualifier against FC Twente and, on Saturday, kick-started a second-half comeback against Everton with a rasping drive from the edge of the box.

Wenger has been pleasantly surprised by his compatriot's contribution. After all, even the likes of Dennis Bergkamp and Thierry Henry needed time before asserting themselves in English football.

[Linked Image]

"I didn’t count Nasri in here for the first six months of the season, like I do for everybody we buy at such a young age," admitted Wenger.

"When you look at the impact he had already here you can say he’s ahead of what I planned for him.

"He’s 21, goes from France to England, and I must say I’m quite pleased with his attitude and his performances. He’s doing extremely well and he is already becoming an important player for us and that is why you do not want him to get injured."

Wenger's last remark was in response to a question over Nasri's fitness record. The 21-year-old missed a significant chunk of last season at Marseilles and sat out most of September after picking up a knee problem while on international duty. Nasri finished Saturday's win over Everton with a minor knock but Wenger is not concerned over his new signing's injury history.

"He missed games for different reasons last year," explained Wenger. "He had viral meningitis last year, you cannot say that you are afraid [for him] because of that."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Van Persie - We cannot afford another defeat

Robin van Persie thinks that another Premier League defeat could put an end to Arsenal’s title challenge.

The 25-year-old was speaking after his goal helped secure the Gunners’ first League victory in three games as they came from behind to beat Everton 3-1 at Emirates Stadium.

Arsène Wenger’s side are yet to face any of their traditional title rivals this season but have already tasted defeat twice - against Fulham and Hull. Van Persie suspects that any further blips could be decisive.

[Linked Image]

“We cannot really afford to lose any more,” said the Dutchman. “Especially at home and also away against some of the so-called smaller teams. The whole squad realise that.

“We still have to play against the big teams and there will be lots of big tests for us on the way. In this league, you do not really have small teams. Just look at Hull City, they are doing fantastic.

“It is really tough, and you have to win against the other teams because you can always lose to sides like Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Defeat may have cost us title chance

Arsène Wenger believes that Arsenal’s title chances may have suffered irreparable damage had they lost another game at Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

When Leon Osman put Everton ahead in the ninth minute there were real fears that lightning would strike twice in North London. The home fans had seen Hull pull off a sensational 2-1 win in the last Premier League fixture at the ground three weeks earlier.

At the weekend, Arsenal trailed at the break but stormed back through goals from Samir Nasri, Robin van Persie and Theo Walcott. It left Wenger a relieved man.

“We want to stay in the race for the title,” he said. “But we had lost against Hull in our last game here and you cannot drop points at home straight away after that.

“We have to stay as close as we can to the top. If we had lost here we would have been seven points behind the leaders. That’s too many.

[Linked Image]

“You don’t want your team to lose confidence and, after the shock against Hull, not to win on Saturday would have been difficult for the confidence for the team.

“It would not have been all over, no. But you give yourself a big mountain to climb if you are seven points behind Chelsea.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Bendtner and Djourou fit to face Fenerbahce

Arsenal will welcome back Nicklas Bendtner and Johan Djourou for the trip to Fenerbahce on Tuesday.

Both youngsters missed the victory over Everton at the weekend, the Dane had an ankle problem while the Swiss defender had suffered concussion on international duty. But, speaking on Monday morning, Wenger said both will be OK for the Champions League Group G tie in Turkey.

However William Gallas (hamstring) and Bacary Sagna (knee) are still out while Kolo Toure is missing after damaging shoulder ligaments at the weekend.

[Linked Image]

“From Saturday, we have Nicklas Bendtner back in the squad and Johan Djourou is available again,” said Wenger. “But we don’t have Kolo Toure.

"Gallas and Sagna are out but they are not long-term and could be back in the squad for Sunday."

Arsenal.com will publish a full squad list later today.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Istanbul atmosphere won't affect us

Although Arsène Wenger feels Istanbul is a “special, unique” football venue, the Arsenal manager does not believe the city’s famously vociferous fans will affect his team when they take on Fenerbahce on Tuesday.

The visiting party fly on to Turkey on Monday in search of a victory that would make them red-hot favourites to win Champions League Group G.

However, in last season’s competition, Fenerbahce proved anything but pushovers. They won all five of their home games, including a 2-1 victory over eventual finalists Chelsea in the last eight.

A part of that proud record is credited to the passion created by the home fans. However Wenger argues that previous excesses have been curbed.

“They have the most passionate fans in Europe,” he said, speaking before the weekend. “Especially in Istanbul where you have Besiktas, Galatasaray and Fenerbahce.

[Linked Image]

“It is a unique place and for me it is a special city. But it is very, very tough.

“However it will not affect the players,” he went on. “It could have done 20 years ago but one of the good things done by Uefa is that they protect the players and the competitions so much they know if [the teams] do too much they will be kicked out.

“Every simple thing is filmed. That was not the case 20 or 30 years ago. You had a little more freedom to express your aggressiveness then. But that has gone.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Almunia - No extra pressure on me as captain

Manuel Almunia could not have chosen a tougher place to make his debut as Arsenal captain.

The 31-year-old took the armband at the weekend when Kolo Toure went off at half-time against Everton. In the absence of the injured William Gallas, the Spaniard will keep it tonight for Arsenal’s Champions League tie at Fenerbahce.

When he spoke about the honour at Arsenal’s pre-match press conference in Istanbul, Almunia was visibly pleased however he refused to accept that the venue added extra pressure.

“I am very proud to wear the armband,” he said. “It is an honour. I am a bit surprised because although I am the oldest player on the pitch, I have not been at the Club the longest.

“But it is nice because it means I have done well and I have the confidence of the manager.

“I will try to defend Arsenal 100 per cent and try to help my team in every aspect of the game.

“We expect a team like Fenerbahce to put some pressure on us in the first 15 minutes with all the crowd behind them but we have the experience to remain calm and defend well. It will be crucial to keep a clean sheet for the first 15 minutes.

“It is true I have a bit more responsibility but no pressure. But the only pressure on me is the same one I get every Saturday.

“I am very proud to wear the armband. I hope I can command my defence from behind and help my team get the points.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Fenerbahce v Arsenal

UEFA Champions League, Sukru Saracoglu Stadium

Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 19:45

Arsène Wenger wants his side to prey on Fenerbahce’s flagging confidence in the opening stages of tonight’s Champions League Group G tie in Istanbul.

The Turkish side are struggling right now. They are only 10th in the domestic League and defeat this evening would leave them long-shots to reach the Knockout Stages of Europe’s top competition. Coach Luis Aragones was only appointed in August but his position is already under severe scrutiny.

However, the Sukru Saracolgu Stadium remains Fenerbahce’s fortress. They won all five games there last year en route to the Quarter-Finals, including a famous comeback against Chelsea, and the Turkish supporters pride themselves on creating an intense, intimidating atmosphere.

That is why, despite a number of injuries in defence, Wenger knows his young side must impose themselves early or they are in danger of being swept away.

“It is a big night for us,” admitted Wenger. “They have dropped many points already in the Champions League and it is important to start in the right way so we don’t give them the needed confidence.

[Linked Image]

“I am not worried about the atmosphere but we have to play to dictate our game. We don’t have a team who is built to defend more than attack. We will play. We will want to attack.”

That may be Arsenal’s best policy given the injuries at the back. William Gallas (hamstring) and Bacary Sagna (knee) are still out while Kolo Toure is missing after damaging shoulder ligaments at the weekend.

“We can not lose any more defenders that is for sure,” said. Wenger. “But we will start with the team that finished the game against Everton.”

That means Alex Song will continue at centre back despite Johan Djourou’s recovery from concussion suffered on international duty. Striker Nicklas Bendtner is also available after recovering from an ankle problem.

The feeling around Fenerbahce right now is partly a product of the hype that surrounded the arrival of Aragones in August. He was fresh from masterminding a breakthrough win for Spainish international football and the feeling was he could do the same thing in Turkey. As result, Fenerbahce sold 30,000 season tickets in the summer, a national record.

An injury list including nine major names has not helped but, despite their current plight, Wenger argues they still possess real quality.

“I feel Fenerbahce are a team who have not had the best start,” he said. “But they still have top class players in every position.

“They have a lot of offensive potential because they have many Brazilians in their squad. Also they have players who have played in England like Emre and Colin Kazim-Richards. Then there is Daniel Guiza, who plays for Spain, and Roberto Carlos.

“Also they have a remarkable player for the final ball - Alex. He is very good at the final solution.

“You expect them to put us under pressure with their offensive play so you have to defend well against a team like that."

Attack, defence or midfield, tonight will be a major test of Wenger' side. Three points will as good as put them through given the home games to come.

But surely a draw would be creditable too.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Fenerbahce 2-5 Arsenal

UEFA Champions League, Sukru Saracoglu Stadium

Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 19:45

* Silvestre 19 (og),
* Guiza 78

* Adebayor 10,
* Walcott 11,
* Diaby 22,
* Song 49,
* Ramsey 90

Arsenal tore down the ramparts of Fenerbahce’s fortress and put themselves within touching distance of the Champions League Knockout Stages with a simply stunning 5-2 win in Turkey on Tuesday night.

Arsène Wenger’s side took the game by the scruff of the neck after 10 minutes with two Cesc Fabregas-inspired goals inside 70 seconds. The Spaniard provided wonderful throughballs for first Emmanuel Adebayor and then Theo Walcott to skip past the keeper and score with aplomb.

Mikael Silvestre’s own goal gave Fenerbahce a lifeline in the 19th minute but Abou Diaby, in his first start since April, replied almost immediately. Alex Song volleyed home a fourth just after the interval to quash any notion of a fightback.

Daniel Guiza did lob home some consolation for Fenerbahce in the 78th minute but there was no denying Arsenal tonight. In injury time 17-year-old Arsenal substitute Aaron Ramsey even managed to grab his first goal in red-and-white.

It had been a drubbing. Arsenal had torn the hosts apart in the opening half and that had been enough to take three wonderful points.

Fenerbache maybe struggling right now but this result should not be underestimated. Most of this side took them to the Champions League Quarter-Finals and they had not lost at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in 15 European ties. It was undoubtedly Arsenal’s best win in Europe since that legendary 5-1 victory at Inter Milan five years ago.

Before kick-off Wenger had revealed that he would be keeping the defence that finished against Everton on Saturday due to injuries to William Gallas (hamstring), Bacary Sagna (knee) and Kolo Toure (shoulder).

However the Frenchman still managed to throw a curveball with the selection of Diaby ahead of Robin van Persie. The French midfielder had just eight minutes of football under his belt this term. He had been sidelined with a thigh injury all season before making a late appearance against Everton at the weekend.

In fact the last time Diaby had started a game was Arsenal’s Champions League exit at Anfield at the Quarter-Final stage back in April. Even more surprisingly, the 22-year-old was stationed in a supporting role to striker Adebayor in front of a four-man midfield. The Frenchman had only done that job once before and that was back in April 2007 at Newcastle when Arsenal had been chronically short of forwards.

[Linked Image]

You could have argued it was a cautious tactic on paper but it did not work out that way.

The Sukru Saracolgu Stadium was the expected cacophony of colour and noise before kick-off. Each home player was called over to the stands during the warm-up by the massed ranks of fans and implored to fist-pump the supporters into a greater frenzy.

However, perhaps more tellingly, the fans in one stand held up cards that spelt out one giant word – believe. It was something required by the Fenerbahce fans and players alike. Their League form had been wretched and defeat this evening would leave them all but out of the Champions League.

That said, Aragones’ side nearly got the perfect start.

After two minutes, Gokhan Gonul crossed from the right to the near post, Ugur Boral controlled the ball at the near post before firing at Manuel Almunia from point-blank range. Fortunately the keeper had narrowed the angle and the ball bounced off his chest.

Arsenal created an immediate repost when Samir Nasri cut in from the left to set up Adebayor, who fired over from just outside the area. They may have been whistled every time they touched the ball but the visitors were bright and sparky. They showed just how much within 70 seconds soon afterwards.

First Fabregas split the defence with a slide-rule pass and Adebayor beat the offside trap to race on to slot past Volkan Demirel. Almost immediately it was 2-0. Again Fabregas was the provider, threading a superb low ball for the galloping Walcott. The England striker flicked the ball past Demirel but did well to fire in an accurate, angled shot from an awkward position.

It should have been three in the 13th minute. Diaby foxed Edu on the byline and his cut-back evaded a scrum of players in the middle. It found Nasri at the far post. But, by the time the French winger got his shot away, there were enough defenders back to block.

It was turning into an incredible game. Arsenal may have been leading and looking likely to score with every attack but they never entirely had matters under their control.

On the quarter-hour, Guiza crossed low from the right and Boral collided with Almunia as he tried to force the ball in from close range.

In the 19th minute, Fenerbahce did score. Song fouled Boral in the left-hand channel, Roberto Carlos hit the free-kick to the far post where Guiza chested the ball down and fired low in the centre of the area. Silvestre got to it before Boral but could only divert the cross high past Almunia and into his own net.

However the impetus was only back with the home side for a couple of minutes. In the 22nd minute Diaby latched on to a regulation high ball through the centre, shrugged off his marker and fired an accurate cross-shot into the far corner of the net. Again it was a fine finish but only ponderous defence from Fenerbahce allowed the opportunity to occur in the first place.

After that goal, the game finally caught its breath – and it needed to. Guiza put the ball past Almunia but was rightly flagged offside. Fenerbahce’s defence continued to be static with fear every time Arsenal attacked but then the visitors’ injury-hit backline was hardly water-tight this evening.

As the interval approached Guiza had two chances to get the home side back into the game. First the Spanish striker went through in the right-hand channel but dragged his cross-shot wide. In the 43rd minute he raced on to a first-time through ball from Alex. However his touch was heavy and Almunia, a former team-mate at Recreativo Huelva, rushed out to smother.

You can only assume that the Fenerbahce players had received a tongue-lashing at half-time. As well as Arsenal had played, the home side had made it all too easy.

However, whatever was said did not work as, four minutes after the restart, Arsenal scored again. Diego Lugano hauled down Nasri on the left, allowing Fabregas to fire a free-kick into the heart of the area.

Selcuk Selin inadvertently nodded the ball on and Silvestre’s touch allowed Song to crack home an angled volley from eight yards.

That goal sucked much of the life from Fenerbahce’s players and their fans. They had more of the play, Arsenal allowed that, but could not do much with it.

And an amazing episode in the 68th minute proved that when you luck is out it really is out. Edu raced through only be blocked by the sliding Almunia at the edge of the area, the ball ran loose but Guiza collected and from a tight angle fired goalwards. Gael Clichy blocked the ball again on the line. However, this time, it deflected towards Boral at the far post. Eboue threw his body at the ball and it went wide for a corner.

Ten minutes later Fenerbache did score again when Guiza went clear and clipped the ball over Almunia.

But it did not mean much on the night.

The final word went to Ramsey, who thumped in a cross shot from the edge of the area with the final kick of the game.

Seite 18 von 41 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 40 41

Moderated by  toubi 

Link Copied to Clipboard
NeoBet Profi
NeoBet Profi
Gewinnspiele
500 € Tippspiel EUROPA-Torschützen.
von dragoon - 19/03/2024 12:39
550 € DFB-Pokal Torschützencup 23/24
von pik7 - 15/03/2024 18:41
Beste Spielotheken Online
Beste Spielotheken Online
Betano - Welcome
Wer ist jetzt online
13 members (Bambi, BjoernT4Y, pik7, Haiefan, AllesSuper, Bartho01, statistiker, kafi112, Flip160, Hackentrick), 3,293 Gäste, und 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Poster(30 Tage)
Haiefan 95
pik7 53
Forum Statistiken
Forum25
Themen1,436
Beiträge121,002
Mitglieder3,864
Am meisten online8,723
Feb 16th, 2016
Spielen mit Verantwortung - Responsible Gaming
Wetten Sie nicht über ihre Verhältnisse.

Wenn Sie oder jemanden, den Sie kennen, ein Problem mit Spielsucht hat, raten wir Ihnen, dass Sie Hilfe von einer dieser anerkannten Organisationen in Betracht ziehen:

18+ Glücksspiel kann süchtig machen - Hilfe finden Sie auf www.bzga.de

Gamblers Anonymous
Webseite www.gamblersanonymous.org

Gambling Therapy
Webseite www.gamblingtherapy.org

Weiterführende Links finden Sie auch außerdem weiter unten bei unseren Partnerseiten.

Unsere Partner & Links:
Bundesliga Tippspiel - Forum Gluecksspielsucht - gamCare - begambleaware - Wettbonus - Wettbasis - Flashscore
DATENSCHUTZ
IMPRESSUM