bet365
NeoBet Profi
NeoBet Profi
ShoutChat
Kommentarrichtlinien: Posten Sie respektvolle und aufschlussreiche Kommentare. Kein Flamen, Hassen, Spam.
Neuste Mitglieder
Fancy_Franzi, Gamera, danny, gRuBer, Sport
3,864 Registrierte Mitglieder
bwin - Sportwetten Bonus
Bookie-News
Geburtstage heute
Es gibt keine Mitglieder mit Geburtstagen an diesem Tag.
Vorheriger Thread
Nächster Thread
Thread drucken
Bewertung: 5
Seite 20 von 41 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 40 41
Beigetreten: Dec 2007
braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Adebayor ruled out for the next three weeks

Emmanuel Adebayor is likely to be out of the Arsenal side for three weeks.

The striker picked up a nasty ankle injury at Stoke on Saturday following a tackle from Ryan Shawcross. He misses tonight’s game with Fenerbache and will also sit out most of November.

Like Adebayor, Theo Walcott was also stretchered off at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday. The England winger was fouled by Rory Delap in the final moments and fell awkwardly on the same shoulder that had undergone surgery in the summer of 2007. However he could be back for Manchester United’s visit to Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

William Gallas may return then as well. The French centre back has been missing for a week after damaging his hamstring against Tottenham. Thankfully the other casualty from Saturday, Bacary Sagna, has recovered from his ankle problem.

“Adebayor will be three weeks,” confirmed Arsène Wenger at Tuesday’s press conference. "Walcott could be days or weeks. It is the shoulder he had the surgery on. We don't know about Gallas yet but Sagna will be back in the squad.”

Doenertier
Wettkaiser
Online Happy
Doenertier
Wettkaiser
Heute gibst Revanche für das 2:5 mad

Fenerbahce in der Aussenseiterrolle vlt ist ein Punkt drin. Mal schaun....glaube aber fest daran das Fenerbahce mindestens 1 Treffer erzielt.

Zitat Atatürk: "Friede im Lande, Friede auf der Welt"
braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Naja, 1 Tor bringt ja nix wennst 3-4 hinten bekommst! grins
trotzdem goodluck

Arsenal v Fenerbahce

UEFA Champions League, Emirates Stadium

Wednesday, November 05, 2008, 19:45

It is time for Arsenal to get back to what they know.

Arsène Wenger’s side return to Emirates Stadium for a quick quartet of home games badly in need of victory.

Last week they were licking mental wounds after allowing Tottenham to steal a draw with two last-gasp goals in the North London derby. They came back from Stoke on Saturday with all too physical ones after surprisingly losing to Tony Pulis’ newly-promoted side.

Criticism has been fierce since then but so was Wenger’s response in Tuesday’s press conference ahead of the Champions League tie with Fenerbahce.

The manager railed against strong-arm tactics both on the pitch and in the press, arguing that his Arsenal squad have an abundance of the very bravery and backbone they are accused of lacking. Wenger believes kicking football is easy, cultured football is tough.

While two poor results have dug Arsenal into a hole, two good ones by Saturday afternoon would haul them out.

[Linked Image]

Victory tonight could put his side in the Knockout Stages of the Champions League – a basic target at the start of the season. Another against Manchester United in the weekend’s early game would re-inflate Arsenal’s title ambitions.

The manager knows that is their chance.

“We have not been efficient with our results in the last two games,” admitted Wenger. “That is why it is important to come back and win.

"For example, we drew 4-4 against Tottenham but we had an outstanding performance. That's what I believe.

"So let's re-establish what we have not done well recently, defend together as a team and continue to play in a positive way.

“We have four home games on the trot now. So we want to qualify in the Champions League and come back in a strong way in the Premier League.

“We are ready and focussed. But, at the same time, we respect Fenerbahce because we know that they are a very good footballing
side.”

That may be true but the Turkish team were wide open at the back in Istanbul a couple of weeks ago. Arsenal, who were hardly water-tight themselves that night, scored five when they might have got close to double figures.

Sections of the home crowd clapped Arsenal off the pitch at full-time. They were saving all their ire for manager Luis Aragones, who is under huge pressure for his job.

His task tonight is hardly helped by the lack of Alex (thigh), who operates almost as a midfield quarterback. However the equally-talented Deivid is expected to deputise.

Arsenal are without Emmanuel Adebayor (ankle), William Gallas (hamstring), Theo Walcott (shoulder), Emmanuel Eboue (knee) plus the long-term absentees Eduardo (ankle) and Tomas Rosicky (hamstring). It means enforced rotation for Wenger.

But then the manager has been shuffling his side each game for the past month and if they qualify he will turn the wheel even more in the final two Matchdays of Group G.

“I believe that once you qualify in the Champions League you can be completely focused and, if needed, rest some players,” he said.

“That is why for us, it is important to qualify as quickly as possible, especially as we didn’t win our last game. We had two bad experiences recently so we want to come back to winning ways and qualify.”

That will be achieved if Arsenal win and Dynamo Kyiv beat Porto. However it appears that victory in itself is not enough for Wenger tonight. He is looking for a statement of intent following the Stoke defeat.

"At this level you are never happy when you don't win, believe me,” said Wenger towards the end of Tuesday’s press conference.

“When he doesn't win a player at the top level is really sad and questions his performances.

“If he doesn't he shouldn't be at that level.”

A myriad of questions have been thrown at Arsenal since Saturday – some fair, some entirely unjustified. But, as always, the answers will be found on the pitch.

Four straight wins in four straight home games would almost entirely turnaround the negativity of the past week.

Right now, Arsenal need their home comforts.

GROUP G P W D L F A Pts
1. Arsenal 3 2 1 0 10 3 7
2. FC Dynamo Kyiv 3 1 2 0 2 1 5
3. FC Porto 3 1 0 2 3 6 3
4. Fenerbahce 3 0 1 2 3 8 1

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 0-0 Fenerbahce

UEFA Champions League, Emirates Stadium

Wednesday, November 05, 2008, 19:45

Arsenal inched their way towards the Champions League Knockout Stages with a 0-0 draw against Fenerbahce on Wednesday night.

After a tough week, Arsène Wenger’s injury-hit side could have done with a victory to boost their fractured morale as well as their points tally in Group G. And they certainly deserved the win on the night.

Robin van Persie went close on numerous occasions in a one-sided first half and rattled the bar just before half time. However Arsenal’s challenge faded in the latter stages.

Still, Wenger’s side did the hard yards of qualification with that thumping win in Istanbul a fortnight ago.

In the wake of the week they have endured, perhaps the manager will be content enough with a point and a clean-sheet. Only on Saturday, when Arsenal entertain Manchester United, will we know if this game was the start of a revival or the continuance of concern.

In his pre-game press conference, Wenger had spoken of the need for rotation. However changes were necessary anyway. After Saturday’s defeat at Stoke, Theo Walcott (shoulder) and Emmanuel Adebayor (ankle) had joined William Gallas (hamstring) and Emmanuel Eboue (knee) on the injured list. Meanwhile Manuel Almunia fell sick on the day of the game.

Lukasz Fabianski replaced the Spaniard while Wenger also brought in Johan Djourou at centre half. Kolo Toure moved to right back with Aaron Ramsey positioned in front of him. Cesc Fabregas and Denilson continued in the centre while Samir Nasri came in on the left. Perhaps with Saturday’s game in mind, Bacary Sagna and Abou Diaby were left on the bench.

The game between these sides in Istanbul had been fast and open with neither possessing that much security at the back. Tonight, the attacking was almost entirely one-way in the first half.

Arsenal started at pace and kept up the pressure all the way to half-time. It began in the eighth minute when Fabregas clipped a pass into the heart of the area and Van Persie slid a shot wide of the far post with Volkan Demirel stranded.

Six minutes later, the Dutchman reached the byline and crooked the ball back into the area. Demirel could only palm the ball into the path of the unmarked Nasri however it got stuck under his feet and Fenerbache managed to clear.

Worse was to come for Arsenal. Fabregas tried to tip the ball towards the far corner, again Demirel’s touch fell straight to an Arsenal player. This time, from only five yards out, Van Persie hit the ball into the floor. It bounced up and flew over the bar via a defender's leg.

Arsenal continued to pepper the Fenerbache area with probing crosses. The visitors survived more by luck than judgement at times.

[Linked Image]

Just past the half-hour, Van Persie collected an astute low pass from Toure close to the byline, turned Lugano wonderfully and fired a rising shot against the bar. Replays proved Demirel’s fingertips had been crucial. An excellent save.

Arsenal were on top but Fenerbahce were having some joy on the break. Roberto Carlos raced up the left wing and Gokhan Gonul’s low, long-range drive forced Fabianski into his first semi-serious save of the night.

However, at the other end, Demirel could already have started to claim overtime. Six minutes before the break he started his application by making a theatrical save from Nasri’s cross-shot.

By the time the whistle blew a few minutes, Arsenal had everything but a goal.

Their pursuit continued three minutes after the break. Lugano clipped Van Persie as he roared through and Demirel tipped over the subsequent free-kick from Toure.

Soon afterwards, Fenerbahce created one of their clearest chances of the night when Semih Senturk sent Ugur Boral through on the left. He had enough to pace to go clear of the Arsenal defence however he dragged an optimistic shot wide of the far post.

The home side continued to attack in numbers but their focus was starting to falter.

As a result Wenger made significant changes – Bendtner and Ramsey came off, Diaby and Carlos Vela replaced them. The substitutions were all about injecting energy back into the Arsenal attack. For their part, Fenerbahce had the ultimate incentive. With Kyiv winning against Porto, even a draw would see them out of the Champions League after the group stage was over.

With 17 minutes left, Van Persie arrowed over a free-kick and Diaby nudged over a header from close range. However the grandstand finish stayed seated. Arsenal ran out of ideas before they ran out of time.

Just for good measure, Silvestre was forced off late in the game after a receiving a nasty bash on the nose.

Porto’s late winner at Kyiv did little to alter Group G. Wenger’s men are top and will go through if they beat the Ukranian’s next time out.

Before that however they have a much stiffer test on Saturday against the Premier League champions.

GROUP G P W D L F A Pts
1. Arsenal 4 2 2 0 10 3 8
2. FC Porto 4 2 0 2 5 7 6
3. FC Dynamo Kyiv 4 1 2 1 3 3 5
4. Fenerbahce 4 0 2 2 3 8 1

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'The positive is we are top of the group'

On a frustrating evening…
“I felt that we created the chances in the first half and we had three or four clear-cut chances but couldn’t score. In the second half I felt we dropped a bit physically and from then on we were less dangerous. I felt we had more possession but because we didn’t score and Fenerbahce never really came out, and were happy to defend well in the final third and we were not sharp enough to put our strikers into good positions. That made a 0-0.

“The positive side is that we are top of the group but the negative side is that we didn’t win a game that we should have won. I was not happy to drop points, we play always to win and when we don’t win we are not happy.”

On the welcome clean sheet…
“Defensively we were sound and good in the air. Against two good strikers we didn’t look in trouble at all, we defended well in midfield too but we are used to creating chances with the time getting on. In the last 20 minutes we expect Arsenal always to create many chances and this didn’t come today because I felt we lacked the physical resources.”

On the challenge on Mikael Silvestre…
“I don’t know if it was intentional but he rotated his arm and got him on the nose. I don’t know you must ask the player but I didn’t see it well.

“I speak about the tackles when I see them again on replay in slow motion. Then I can analyse if the guy who makes the tackle goes on the side of the ball or he goes for the left leg when the ball is on the right leg. When he tackles the standing leg on purpose he never intends to play the ball. On this occasion I don’t know.”

On Fenerbahce’s stifling tactics…
“They were defensive tonight, I cannot say they were offensive because they spent their time in their own half but maybe they couldn’t come out. They were well organised and defended well. Maybe at times they were a bit cautious because they conceded five goals against us in the first game and from then on they decided not to make defensive mistakes.”

On being ready for a ‘battle’ against Manchester United…
“Of course they are ready to battle but it depends on what you call battle. Man United only managed a draw today at Celtic so we have both only drawn today.

“It is a massive game and of massive importance for us. We play every three days at the moment and every game is massive for us. Manchester United Arsenal is always a special one and we know for us it is vital to do well in the big games in this league.
I am confident we will. “

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - We suffered League fatigue in Europe

Arsène Wenger believes the tough Premier League programme hampered all four English sides in the Champions League this week.

This country is arguably the strongest in Europe right now. England provided three of the four Semi-Finalists in the Champions League last term and the quartet of domestic teams have all made strong starts in their groups this season.

However, oddly, none of them won in Continental competition this week. Chelsea surprisingly went down at Serie A strugglers Roma while Manchester United and Liverpool needed late equalisers to salvage draws. Arsenal were perhaps the most comfortable but they could only manage a point against Fenerbache.

Afterwards Wenger suggested all four may have been feeling the effects of the extra round of Premier Leagues in the middle of last week.

“You can see from all of the results of the English teams that none of them had lost before tonight in the Champions League, and this week none of them have won,” he said.

“That is maybe explainable because last week everybody gave so much in the Premier League and had a little bit less resources to play in the Champions League this week.”

At least, Arsenal’s draw was a general improvement on the unsatisfactory point with Tottenham last Wednesday and the defeat to Stoke on Saturday.

“I feel we have played three different games,” continued Wenger.

“We had a big disappointment last week. We played an outstanding game last Wednesday but we still dropped points and then we had a little hangover against Stoke when we lost the game.

“But I watched Liverpool last night and they drew, I’m not really sure how. Chelsea were not sharp physically and we were not sharp physically. I don’t know how Man United played.

“But it looks as though, because the Premier League is very demanding, if you have a Champions League week afterwards it is difficult physically.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Bendtner - Don't write us off in title race

Nicklas Bendtner has warned Arsenal’s title rivals not to write off his side just yet.

The Dane is likely to continue up front for the crucial Premier League game with Manchester United on Saturday.

The match is being billed as pivotal in Arsenal’s season. Victory will put them right back in the title shake-up. Defeat could leave them nine points off the pace.

Having dropped five points in their last two games, the media seem pessimistic for Arsenal. Bendtner is not so sure.

“We still believe we can win the title and it will be like that until the season finishes,” he said. “We owe that to ourselves and we want to win it for everyone.

“We are very young but we can still prove people wrong. We shouldn't be written off yet. We're very strong and we have played well against big teams this season. It will be no different on Saturday.

“Yes it's an important game and Man United are a big team but we'll go out there and try to win it like we always do.

[Linked Image]

“Every match we play against them is big and we believe we can beat anyone with the players we have available.”

In the absence of Emmanuel Adebayor (ankle), Robin van Persie (suspension) and Eduardo (broken leg), Arsenal will be relying on Bendtner in their biggest game of the season so far. The 20-year-old is quite happy to shoulder the individual responsibility but, at the same, he is aware scoring goals is a collective activity.

“I always feel confident whoever I play,” he said. “I'll play to my strength and the team will play as a unit. If we all play well that should be enough but I want to do the best I can.

“If I play I'd like to score. It would be fantastic to score against Man United. If I can score and help us win the game then I'll be very happy. If I play well and someone else scores I'll be happy too.

“If you play well, you keep your place so you have to keep working hard.

“It's the same for every striker, there's no free pass [into the team] at a top club.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Toure – A win will show we mean business

Kolo Toure believes that a win against Manchester United on Saturday would send out a strong signal of intent to the rest of the Premier League.

Arsenal’s title credentials have been under scrutiny following three defeats in their opening 11 games and the Gunners now trail leaders Liverpool by six points. However, Toure thinks that a win over the current English and European champions will show that Arsène Wenger’s side are still thoroughly in business.

“A win would be really fantastic for us to show that we are there for the title,” said the Ivorian after Wednesdays draw with Fenerbahce. “We know that the Premier League is really long - we are not in the second half yet. We just need to take it as a really important game and to show Manchester United and those big clubs that we are there to fight for the title.

“I have played against them already and I know what I have to expect [from Man United]. I think it’s going to be a good game and we will show them we are still in the race for the title. We are still in there. We are fourth at the moment. We are six points behind but the season is really long. We just need to play game by game.

[Linked Image]

“We concentrate on each game and as a team we just rely on our solidarity. There are some games we are going to lose and there are some games we have to win.”

Arsenal will be without Emmanuel Adebayor (ankle injury) and Robin van Persie (suspension) against United but Toure is in no doubt that their replacements can fill the void admirably.

“When the boss gave them the chances, they scored,” he said. “Vela scored three goals against Sheffield United. It wasn't a really easy game and he showed he is a good striker. He is progressing really well. Bendtner is doing really well as well - he is doing his best at the moment. Obviously he didn't score [against Fenerbahce] but I think on Saturday if he gets a chance he will do it.

“It's up to them to show now that it doesn't matter who they play against, you just focus on your game and take your chance.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger to 'gamble' on Silvestre for Man Utd

Arsène Wenger has many major decisions to make on injured players before Saturday’s massive clash with Manchester United at Emirates Stadium.

Speaking to Arsenal TV Online on Thursday afternoon, the manager confirmed Mikael Silvestre did break his nose in the goalless draw with Fenerbahce the previous evening. The 31-year-old defender is still likely to be available against his old side but Wenger suggested it may be “a gamble”.

Goalkeeper Manuel Almunia is over his sickness and trained today. However Bacary Sagna sat out the session. The right back injured his ankle at Stoke on Saturday but was named on the bench in the Champions League tie. He did not come on and his fitness for Saturday was still “a slight concern” for Wenger.

[Linked Image]

It seems the injuries to Theo Walcott (shoulder) and William Gallas (hamstring) are bigger issues. Both are only rated as 50:50 to feature and Wenger will not be able to make a decision until after Friday’s session. Emmanuel Adebayor (ankle) and Emmanuel Eboue (knee) are definitely out while Robin van Persie is suspended.

“Mikael has a broken nose with an open wound on the side,” said Wenger.

“Basically he should be capable of playing. But in the next 48 hours I will have to decide what we do. You cannot rule him out and I feel he can play. But I have to decide whether I go for the gamble or not.

“We will not know about Walcott and Gallas before tomorrow afternoon. It is 50:50 for both.

“But Manuel Almunia was back in training today so he will be available.

“As for Sagna, there was a gamble on him that I did not want to take [last night]. We could not take it today in training either. He still needed to be out of impact work.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 2-1 Manchester United rock

Barclays Premier League, Emirates Stadium

Saturday, November 08, 2008, 12:45

* Nasri 22, 48

* Da Silva 89

This game began the afternoon in incessant rain and ended in bright, brilliant sunlight.

Ditto Arsenal’s season.

At his pre-match press conference, Arsène Wenger had faced an inquisition about his side’s title chances and you got the feeling the obituaries would have been written had they slumped to a weak defeat against the champions.

In the end, they came away with a hard-fought and thoroughly deserved victory that could breathe new life into Arsenal’s season.

Samir Nasri got both goals. The first came in the 22nd minute via a deflection, the second via superb Arsenal passing just after half time.

Manchester United had ample possession and their build-up play was expert. However they spurned the chances they created. Their only goal came 45 seconds from the end of normal time via Rafael’s volley when they were going for broke.

This time it was Arsenal who picked the pocket of a side who had played the beautiful game...well... beautifully.

Of course, one great game cannot make a season. Arsenal’s three points here only replaces the ones lost so badly at Stoke last week.

But with everyone looking for Wenger’s team to respond, this had been an emphatic answer.

Ahead of the game, Wenger knew he had five players out but he was due to make late calls over the fitness of another five.

In the end, Manuel Almunia (sickness) Bacary Sagna (ankle), Theo Walcott (shoulder), Mikael Silvestre (broken nose) and William Gallas (hamstring) were declared fit and started the game.

Only Emmanuel Adebayor (ankle), Emmanuel Eboue (knee), Robin van Persie (suspended), Tomas Rosicky (hamstring) and Eduardo (broken leg) missed out.

Wenger brought in Abou Diaby to play just behind Nicklas Bendtner with Nasri and Walcott supplying width either side of Cesc Fabregas and Denilson in central midfield.

[Linked Image]

The back four was all-French, so Kolo Toure was left on the bench.

This is always a massive game but after Arsenal’s recent problems it appeared to have taken on seismic proportions. Given it was November, the points would not be decisive but Wenger’s men needed to make a statement of intent in the title race.

It would be a pivotal afternoon.

It nearly started in the worst possible fashion for Arsenal. With only 90 seconds Silvestre played a weak back pass to Almunia, who under pressure from Wayne Rooney, came out to collect with his hands. Anderson took the resulting free-kick from inside the area but the wall deflected it to Michael Carrick on the edge of the area. His bobbling shot wandered inches wide.

Manchester United had started with all the swagger we expected. They had the ball in the net in the eighth minute when Ronaldo crossed low from the right and Ji-Sung Park’s dummy allowed Rooney to shoot. Almunia palmed the ball out to Dimitar Berbatov who slotted home. Fortunately for Arsenal the Bulgarian had strayed offside.

By now the light shower of the morning had turned into a downpour. And Arsenal would have their fans singing in the rain.

In the 11th minute, Bendtner slammed a header just over from Clichy’s left-wing cross. Five minutes later Nasri sent over a similar opportunity but neither Diaby nor Bendtner could crane their heads enough to connect.

Perhaps Arsenal’s best chance before the goal came on the quarter-hour when Van de Sar’s weak punch fell to Diaby but his snap-shot was deflected wide.

The all-important strike would come a couple of minutes later but, not before Rooney had shot after an ominously incisive Manchester United side.

The goal began when Patrice Evra fouled Sagna on the right-hand byline. Fabregas clipped it over to the far post where a clearance from Nemanja Vidic fell to Nasri. The Frenchman bought a lottery ticket by firing a low shot into the congested area. His numbers came up when the ball flicked off Gary Neville’s leg and flew past Van der Sar.

It was just what Arsenal needed but the job was nowhere near done. Park’s low shot forced the best out of Almunia and the visitors continued to pressure.

Eight minutes before the break Diaby steamrollered through only to be brought down by Michael Carrick. Howard Webb did not give a foul and replays proved he had been incorrect.

Right in front of us Arsenal were rebuilding the confidence that had been undermined in the past 10 days. They sustained pressure before the break and might have added to their lead when Walcott miskicked an effort just wide from Clichy’s cross.

This was fast becoming a throwback to Arsenal v Manchester United games a decade ago. It was helter-skelter and packed with incident.

Sagna, Gallas and Evra were all booked just before the break. You could see more yellow cards after the interval.

It was that kind of game.

And the opening few minutes of the second half suggested it just might be Arsenal’s day.

Around 90 seconds in, the home side passed and passed and passed until Fabregas fed Nasri on the edge of the area. The Frenchman lashed the ball home with relish.

The 21-year-old ran towards the touchline before being engulfed by his team-mates. It was a moment of unbridled joy.

However it was nearly shortlived. Park found Ronaldo at the far post and the winger’s sidefoot volley flew inches wide. A crucial moment.

While 1-0 was wonderful and 2-0 was terrific, neither had ended the argument. The visitors were on the attack for most of the afternoon, that said Almunia had not been overworked.

Diaby barged past Van der Sar to send a header just over but by now Arsenal were mostly working on the counter-attack. Manchester United were pushing forward in search of a lifeline.

Midway through the half Almunia needed lengthy treatment after Carrick, without malice, had caught him in the head when the ball ran loose from a corner.

By now Ferguson was searching for inspiration via his substitutes. Rafael, Ryan Giggs and Carlos Tevez were all on with 15 minutes left.

Although Manchester United were still pressing, Arsenal had a major shout for a penalty in the 74th minute when Vidic appeared to haul over Nasri as the French winger closed in on a hat-trick chance.

With 10 minutes left, Wenger made his own substitutions with Alex Song replacing Walcott and Fabianski coming on for the struggling Almunia.

The Pole had only caretaking to do really before picking the ball out of his net with 45 seconds left. Manchester United now had defenders in the area and one of them, Rafael, plundered a volley from just outside.

That came seconds before the fourth official announced six minutes of injury time.

It was time to scrap for Arsenal’s season. In fact the home side would have the better chances, especially when Bendtner dribbled through and swivelled a shot over the bar.

The whistle blew soon afterwards.

Arsenal were back. But had they ever really gone away?

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'It was a game for those who love football'

On the importance of the result…
“I feel it was a very important result because I imagine what would have happened if we had lost today. Mathematically it was very important for us to stay close to the top and to show what kind of determination, spirit and mental attitude we have. We went out there today thinking that we will win no matter what happens. No matter what happens on the pitch we will keep going and that is what we did.

“We won against, for me, a great Man United side and the difference was maybe we took our chances early on and they didn’t. After we scored the second goal we did hang on but tried to score the third goal on the counter attack. We wouldn’t do that and that is why the game remained very tight until the end.”

On the contribution of Samir Nasri…
“When he is in front of goal he can finish with his right foot or left foot. He has a lot of pace and power and I encourage him to go in the final third. He was a more typical playmaker in France who gave the ball and took it back. I believe that with his pace he can penetrate in the final third and he will score plenty of goals. That is what he did today because he is a tremendous finisher.”

On ever doubting his side’s chances…
“I didn’t doubt the spirit of my players. I acknowledged that we made some mistakes, especially against Tottenham, but I never questioned the spirit, quality or ability to play for the championship.

“There is only one thing in our job and that is to go on the football pitch and show how much you want it, show quality on the pitch – and spirit – and that is what we did. I believe above all today it was a fantastic football game because both teams played with the right spirit.”

On winning despite missing players…
“For example you had a player like Nicklas Bendtner today who had an outstanding game. It shows how different this job is because on Wednesday he was not especially on his best form and three days later he produced a quality performance. It was a team answer, first of all we showed that we have the squad which is questioned so many times. We showed that no matter who plays we have the spirit.”

On Man United’s squandered chances…
“I do not want to talk too much about the difference between the teams but I thought that we did everything that was needed to win the game. If you say we could have lost it if they had taken every chance, maybe. But we have done everything we could to win this game and our attitude cannot be questioned, nor our quality. Personally I do not question the quality of Man United.

“You know that every big game is like that. I just said after the game that Man United are a great team. They have just won the European Cup last year and the Premier League last year, you cannot be a small team and do that. Of course they are a great team, of course they had chances as well, but we had chances too. That is why I believe it was a cracking football game. If you love football, I do not say you love Arsenal or Man United, today it was a game for people who love football.”

On facing another ‘football playing’ side…
“Football becomes very interesting when both teams want to play, we have seen that again today. I believe that apart from Stoke, we went to Bolton and Blackburn and we won in a convincing way. We had one accident at Stoke and after it provoked hysteria. After the 0-0 against Fenerbahce we have eight points in the Champions League and no one else has more apart from Juventus who have 10. All across Europe nobody has more than eight points in the Champions League. It is difficult sometimes to understand why everybody became so critical so suddenly.

“There is respect [for Sir Alex Ferguson] of course. I believe that we are surviving battlers in this game and therefore I have a lot of respect for him. We both play football.”

On playing out six minutes of injury time…
“I felt ‘that’s a very long time’. Just before they scored the fourth official told me it was going to be six minutes and I asked him if he was sure, what’s that? I have never played six minutes here.

“I personally would have preferred it if they had gone to the corner flag. I prefer that to passing the ball around in our own half with three minutes to go. We would prefer to have a positive attitude in the other half of the pitch. I want them first to be in the other half of the pitch then they are as close to the corner flag as possible.

“You always have to be cautious though because on day when we played Chelsea it was 2-2 and Kanu had the ball. I told him to go to the corner flag but he didn’t listen and he went and scored the third and we won 3-2. If the players have the quality then they always find the right answer.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Shared leadership is modern way

Arsène Wenger believes that “shared leadership” on the pitch has superseded the role of a talismanic captain in English football.

Wenger relied on ‘Mr. Arsenal,’ Tony Adams, as the leader of his team when he began his tenure at the Club in 1996 but the Frenchman thinks that the sheer pace of the Premier League has made that role largely redundant.

William Gallas captained Wenger’s side to a crucial victory over Manchester United on Saturday but the manager attributed Arsenal’s win to the collective spirit shown by his players.

“I don’t agree anymore when people say you need a leader on the football field,” said Wenger. “Football has evolved and it is so quick nowadays there is less time available for one person to lead the team. You need more shared leadership on the pitch.

“You need five or six leaders in the team. You still need those people talking in the dressing room but on the pitch it has become too quick for just one guy to say ‘come on everybody come here,’ that has finished now. Now the goalkeeper catches the ball and straight away the ball is in the other half.

“I believe that against Man United we had 11 leaders on the football pitch because everybody took initiative at the right moment.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Fabregas - We beat Man United for the boss

Cesc Fabregas says Saturday’s superb win over Manchester United was dedicated to Arsène Wenger.

Arsenal cast aside all their worries to pull off a wonderful 2-1 victory against Sir Alex Ferguson’s side. Before the game there had been sharp criticism of Wenger in certain sections of the media and, for protégées like Fabregas, it was payback time.

“We definitely did it for the manager because he has believed in us,” said the Spanish midfielder. “Apart from Gallas and Silvestre, the rest of the players would have never had the chance to play football so we owe him a lot of things and have to show that on the pitch.

“Winners don’t like to look at this [media] reaction. They always try to get better and win the games. The losers could put their heads down, feel sorry for themselves and never come back again.

“We have shown we have got character. We were playing against a great team, under a lot of pressure and we are happy.”

[Linked Image]

As Fabregas suggests, Arsenal had to pull off a rear-guard action after Samir Nasri put them 2-0 up just after half-time. An 89th-minute volley from Manchester United substitute Rafael made for a nerve-jangling finale. But the home side held on in precisely the way it had not against Tottenham 10 days earlier.

However, overall, Fabregas feels Arsenal’s style is sound. They just have to keep their faith and their work-ethic.

“Sometimes we have lost a game like this when we’ve played the same way,’ said the 21-year-old. “And everyone would say we are not good.

“When we win this way and everyone will say we are good. We have always been playing the same but sometimes you have more fortune in front of goal.

“That is football, but the good thing is that this team have never put their heads down and felt sorry for ourselves.

“We want to get better, play better and I think we showed it in this game.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Nasri - We were never out of the title race

Samir Nasri believed Arsenal could win the title even before Saturday’s 2-1 win over Manchester United.

The Frenchman chose the perfect moment to bag a brace for the first time as a professional. His strikes on 22 and 48 minutes helped Arsène Wenger’s side reignite a Premier League challenge that was considered – by some outside Emirates Stadium at least - to be faltering.

“We are back in it,” said Nasri afterwards. “But we always thought we were involved, even before this game. We know our quality, our strengths and what we are capable of. We can definitely win the title this season.

“I know the big rivalry between the top clubs. We were a bit behind Liverpool and Chelsea beforehand and this was a massive game for us.

[Linked Image]

“We could not have dreamed of getting a better result than the one we got. We showed we have got the quality technically that can help us to win big games like that one.

“And mentally we proved a point by winning this game against Manchester United. We know the title can be won by the games against the top four. We have shown we can do it and the most important thing is to keep going.

“Maybe we don’t have the experience of Liverpool, Man United or Chelsea but we showed how mature we have become after last season.

“[Of course] we have only just started the year and you cannot take any conclusions from the games so far. But it was important to win. It is also important to keep this going and keep our confidence for the next games.

“This win is a key game for us and, with all the players coming back from injury, we are only going to get better.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Almunia back in training later this week

Manuel Almunia has been given the all-clear to resume training after recovering from a head injury suffered against Manchester United on Saturday.

The Arsenal keeper got a kick from Michael Carrick midway through the second half as the former West Ham midfielder went for the ball following a corner. After lengthy treatment, Almunia tried to stay on the field but was substituted in the 78th minute. He needed medical checks but has since received the OK.

“He went to hospital [after the game] but he is perfectly alright now,” said Arsène Wenger on Monday lunchtime. “He was in today and should practise either Wednesday or Thursday.”

Almunia’s next game is likely to be the Premier League clash with Aston Villa this weekend. That’s because, speaking ahead of Tuesday’s Fourth Round tie with Wigan, his manager confirmed he’d be sticking with his policy of blooding young players in the Carling Cup.

“You will see 90 per cent of the team who played against Sheffield United in the last round,” said Wenger.

“We will keep faith in our philosophy and we will not change it now. That is very important for the Club. All the young players need to show how good they are.”

Arsenal TV Online subscribers can see the full video interview on Friday morning. In it, Wenger talks about: his considered reaction to the win over Man United, turning around his side’s title bid, the pressure on him ahead of the game, the first-team form of Ramsey, Fabianski and Vela, the continuing emergence of Wilshere and Merida, the English crop coming through, Wigan’s strength this season, his relationship with Steve Bruce and sending out his youngsters on loan.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger undecided over transfer window plans

Arsène Wenger has yet to decide whether he will enter the transfer market in the New Year.

The January transfer window opens in a little over seven weeks and the Arsenal manager is already fielding questions about possible reinforcements to his squad.

Wenger has not ruled out the prospect of new recruits but he cited Saturday's 2-1 victory over Manchester United as proof that he already possesses plenty of strength in depth.

"It's far from decided," replied Wenger when asked about his transfer window plans.

"We will make a check at the end of December and we will see. We have had many players out and showed we have a great squad that can win the big games."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Rosicky undergoes routine surgery in Germany

On Tuesday afternoon, Arsenal Football Club released the following statement:

[Linked Image]

"Tomas Rosicky yesterday underwent routine revision surgery in Germany. The operation went as planned and Tomas will now spend at least a few weeks convalescing in Germany. Thereafter he will follow a tailored rehabilitation progamme devised by our medical team."

Everyone at Arsenal Football Club would like to wish Tomas the best of luck with his recovery.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 3-0 Wigan Athletic

Carling Cup, Emirates Stadium

Tuesday, November 11, 2008, 19:45

* Simpson 43, 68,
* Vela 71

Three goals, a clean sheet and another stirring performance. Arsenal's Carling Cup kids are in the last eight of the competition and, on this evidence, they will take some stopping.

As expected Wigan provided a sterner test than Sheffield United but, ultimately, they were undone by three top-class strikes. Jay Simpson celebrated his first Arsenal start by scoring either side of the break and Carlos Vela added an exquisite chip to finish off the Latics.

The margin of victory would have been greater but for the heroics of Chris Kirkland. The Wigan keeper defied an injury to thwart Aaron Ramsey, Kieran Gibbs and Vela - twice - as Arsenal piled on the pressure. There are some big guns left in the Carling Cup but none of them will fancy facing the young Gunners on this form.

As ever, Wenger gave his Premier League regulars a break in this competition but, more significantly he did made one change from the side which hit Sheffield United for six in the Third Round. Nicklas Bendtner was rested amid a busy period for the Danish striker and in stepped Simpson. He has a bit of previous at Emirates Stadium of course - the bustling striker hit a hat-trick here in last season's Youth Cup.

The Blades were blunted with some ease six weeks ago but Wigan would present a bigger problem. Johan Djourou and company only had to deal with a half-fit James Beattie in their last Carling Cup outing; now the Arsenal back four were up against one of the top flight's hottest properties in Amr Zaki.

It was evident from the start that Arsenal would not find life quite as easy as they had done six weeks ago. Wigan, muscular and determined, pinned the young Gunners back in their own half during the opening exchanges. Lukasz Fabianski, usually so assured, misjudged one attempted punch and one intended catch as the visitors enjoyed an early spell of pressure.

But once Arsenal got to grips with their opponents and picked up the tempo of their own play, the pendulum swung and the chances flowed. Unfortunately, Kirkland was in irrepressible form. He stood up well to keep out Vela after 13 minutes when the Mexican surged onto Ramsey's through-ball and attempted to jink past the Wigan keeper. Seconds later Simpson sounded a warning of what was to come with a vicious shot against the top of the crossbar.

Even Kirkland couldn't get near that but he soon racked up the saves as Arsenal took charge. Vela's clever diagonal pass picked out Gibbs on the left and he advanced before shooting too close to the Wigan keeper. Then Ramsey curled a sumptuous 30-yard free-kick towards the top corner only to see Kirkland fly across his goal to keep the ball out. Vela, taking plenty of physical punishment from the visitors' back four, found space to swing a decent effort at goal but Kirkland saved Wigan once again. It was exhilarating, but increasingly frustrating for Arsenal.

Wigan reminded all and sundry of their own threat when Mario Melchiot picked out Daniel de Ridder just inside the box and the Dutchman forced a smart save from Fabianski. Indeed, De Ridder and Antonio Valencia were getting plenty of joy on Arsenal's left flank where Gibbs' attacking instincts were occasionally exploited. Jason Koumas also went close as Arsenal were temporarily checked.

They were soon back on the front foot, and how. Jack Wilshere, showing strength and style in equal measure, found a gaping hole in the centre of Wigan's defence and weighted a perfect through-ball for Simpson. The 19-year-old raced onto it and poked the ball past Kirkland. One-nil to the Arsenal, and a fair reflection of a compelling first half.

The second half was no less watchable. Wigan began to take more risks - they had to - and Arsenal's midfield quartet continued to find space and probe for openings.

Fran Merida, who seems to do everything with a touch of class, almost deceived Kirkland with a swerving left-foot shot 11 minutes after the break. The Wigan keeper was forced to change direction and grabbed the ball at the second attempt. Ramsey was the next to delight the home fans, snaking through the middle and prodding the ball through for Gibbs to hit a powerful effort straight at Kirkland.

The warning signs were there for Wigan and, in the 65th minute, Arsenal's second arrived on the counter-attack. Fabianksi started it with a firm punch out of defence and Vela burst past Emmerson Boyce on the left touchline before haring in on goal. As the angle narrowed the Mexican had the wherewithal to look up and cut the ball back for Simpson, who slotted past Kirkland.

Five minutes later, Vela was rewarded for his selflessness with an exquisite strike of his own. This time Djourou led the charge from defence and slid the ball through for Vela. The teenager's pace bought him a yard on Titus Bramble and, as the defender slid in, Vela chipped the ball over a helpless Kirkland.

Wenger brought on Amaury Bischoff for his Arsenal debut while Henri Lansbury and Rui Fonte also got a taste of the action in the closing stages. The hosts could have had more but Fabianski stole the show in the final moments with an incredible double save to deny De Ridder and Zaki.

Arsenal's first-teamers admired it all from their seats just behind the substitutes bench. It looks like they will have a job on their hands to keep their places.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Simpson - Legend made me an Arsenal fan

A decade ago Jay Simpson was a star-struck kid who lost his tongue when he met Ian Wright in the tunnel at Highbury. Last night the bustling striker did a passable impression of his all-time Arsenal hero.

Simpson produced two crisp finishes to catapult Arsène Wenger's youngsters into the last eight of the Carling Cup for the fourth successive season. It was the perfect way to mark his first start for the Club and took Simpson's tally at Emirates Stadium to five goals in 188 minutes when you take into account his hat-trick against Cardiff in the Youth Cup last year.

That works out at a goal every 37 minutes - a rate even Wright could not match. How Simpson would love to emulate the man who turned him onto the Club he now plays for.

"When I was growing up I used to watch Ian Wright and that's what made me an Arsenal fan," revealed Simpson. "I had posters of him on my wall.

"I met Wright once, it was quite a while ago at my first Arsenal match at Highbury. I met him in the tunnel and I was starstruck, I didn't know what to say to him! He shook my hand and I didn't know what to do! I was nine at the time. He's still an Arsenal fan and he would have been happy to see the English players out there tonight."

[Linked Image]

Simpson impressed with his intelligent running and cool finishing on Tuesday night, converting Jack Wilshere's through-ball four minutes before half time and slotting home Carlos Vela's cut-back after 68 minutes. Afterwards the 19-year-old explained how last year's loan spell at Millwall - and a pre-match chat with an Arsenal star - helped him against Wigan.

"I played on the wing for Millwall so my runs from wide positions have improved a lot," said Simpson.

"It was a whole new position to adapt to, especially with how Millwall play because it wasn't about getting the ball down and playing a passing game. It was about making runs in behind. If I got it to feet you would go down the line and cross it whereas at Arsenal you would normally pass it, so it's a lot different.

"Also I went up and spoke to Emmanuel Adebayor before the game and he gave me a bit of advice which paid off on the pitch. He told me that when I am shooting, just make sure I hit the target, don't concentrate too much on power.

"I scored a hat-trick in the Youth Cup at Emirates Stadium but this is a lot more special, especially because I am an Arsenal fan. I would have been happy with one so to get two is great.

"Now all of us want a big side, we want to test ourselves. That's what it's all about, playing against the big teams, the big-name players and seeing what you can do against them. If we get Manchester United or Liverpool, we'd want them to put out their first team because it would show they've got respect for us. I'd be delighted if we got them in the next round."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Almunia and Adebayor face late fitness tests

Arsène Wenger has to decide on the fitness of Manuel Almunia and Emmanuel Adebayor ahead of the weekend clash with Aston Villa at Emirates Stadium.

The Arsenal keeper is still recovering from the head injury he suffered against Manchester United last Saturday. The 31-year-old has returned to training but he needs to be fully tested in a match scenario. That will happen on Friday. Until then he is 70:30 to play.

Adebayor’s chances are slightly more remote but it is still very possible the Togolese striker could return after missing the last three games with an ankle injury. He is rated at 50:50.

Robin van Persie (suspension) and Emmanuel Eboue (knee) will be missing again.

“We will assess the situation of Adebayor on Friday,” Wenger told Arsenal TV Online on Thursday afternoon. “He is 50:50.

“We have to assess Almunia too. He got that knock on his head against Manchester United and until now we have not exposed him. He has to go into a normal game [in training] to see how he deals with it. So he is 70:30 at the moment.

“Van Persie is still suspended and Eboue is not fit.”

Arsenal TV Online subscribers can see the full interview on Friday morning. In it, Wenger talks about: another Carling Cup victory, Jay Simpson’s long journey to the first team, another world-class Carlos Vela finish, whether that display influences his transfer plans, his early thoughts ahead of the January window, Mikael Silvestre’s surprise French call-up, the problem of consistent inconsistency, coming down after a Carling Cup win, Ashley Young and Gabriel Agbonlahor and the top four being the ‘Big Four’.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa

Barclays Premier League, Emirates Stadium

Saturday, November 15, 2008, 15:00

* Clichy 69 (og),
* Agbonlahor 80

Once again the heady fizz of a midweek Carling Cup win left a bitter aftertaste for Arsenal the following weekend.

Back on September 23, Arsène Wenger’s much-heralded youngsters demolished Sheffield United 6-0 only for the senior side to drop a shock 2-1 defeat to Hull four days later.

Arsenal came into this game on the back of another cracking Carling Cup night. This time a 3-0 win over a full-strength Wigan.

However, on the day, they were well-beaten by an inventive and committed Villa side.

Martin O’Neill’s side deserved to be ahead at the break and would have been if Ashley Young had beaten Manuel Almunia from the penalty spot. In fact Villa would have to wait until the 70th minute for their opener. It came when Gael Clichy nodded into his own net under pressure from Gabriel Agbonlahor.

[Linked Image]

Ten minutes later the Villa striker would get on the scoresheet himself, chasing a long ball forward, holding off William Gallas and firing home.

Arsenal created little pressure and precious few opportunities on the day. It was the first time in 58 Premier League games they had lost by more than one goal and their first home defeat to Villa in the competition since 1993.

And of course it was only Arsenal’s second home reverse for 44 games.

They are now nine points off the pace in the Premier League title race.

Despite the return to fitness of top-scorer Emmanuel Adebayor after an ankle injury, Wenger stuck with the side that had beaten Manchester United the previous Saturday. It was a no-brainer really. The Togolese target man is top quality but possession is more nine tenths of the law in football. Those who had played Arsenal back into the title race deserved to keep their shirts.

Speaking of rewards, five of Tuesday’s Carling Cup heroes were on the bench this afternoon – Carlos Vela, Alex Song, Lukasz Fabianski, Johan Djourou and Aaron Ramsey. It said much about Arsenal’s perceived lack of squad.

Last season, this fixture had come directly after the game that was later considered to have changed Arsenal’s title bid – Birmingham away. History may go on to give this match the same stature after that crucial win after Manchester United – but it did not seem like it on the strength of the first half.

The opening salvos suggested Villa would be every bit as tough as they had been back in February when Nicklas Bendtner salvaged a last-gasp point.

Ashley Young hammered a drive into the chest of Almunia in the first few seconds and, for the initial 15 minutes, Villa continued to enjoy advantages in terms of possession and territory.

Arsenal had their moments – Walcott fired across goal and Brad Freidel spilled a Cesc Fabregas shot – but otherwise they were second-best. And the score should have reflected that in the 20th minute.

Barry swung a high, swirling cross into the area. Three Villa players were in position at the near post where it landed but Clichy, the only defender present, managed to scoop the ball away. It fell to Ashley Young on the edge of the area but he was tripped by Walcott as he went through. It looked a clear penalty and referee Mike Riley duly pointed to the spot.

Ashley Young took the spot-kick instead of Gareth Barry who had been injured in the build-up but Almunia managed to block and William Gallas slid the ball away from danger. It should have been a massive moment for Arsenal. The best wake-up call they could have got.

But it did not turn out that way.

The home side were nearly caught napping a couple of minutes later when Ashley Young clipped a ball forward for Steven Sidwell to race through. The former Gunner beat the offside trap but, off-balance, he could only hook a weak shot straight at Almunia.

Arsenal were being caught out time after time with Barry pulling the strings and Ashley Young providing the legs. The latter battered a long-range effort just past the post on the half hour and, 10 minutes from the break, the former forced another fine save from Almunia.

At half-time, the keeper had been the only thing preventing Arsenal from trailing.

The interval did little to interrupt Villa’s flow. Before the hour-mark, Ashley Young curled a free-kick wide and Gabriel Agbonlahor nearly connected with Barry’s corner from the right. Villa were peppering the Arsenal area with crosses but thankfully Almunia’s handling was expert this afternoon.

Meanwhile at the other end, the home side were creating little and sustaining barely any pressure. It was no surprise to see Wenger throw on Adebayor for Diaby in the 61st minute and switch from 4-4-1-1 to 4-4-2. Carlos Vela replaced Bendtner shortly afterwards as Arsenal entered the final quarter of the game with a new front pair.

However, the Mexican had not even touched the ball when his side went behind.

On 70 minutes, Young curled in a cross from the left and, under pressure from Agbonlahor, Clichy nodded the ball into his own net.

To add to Arsenal’s woes, Sagna was injured in the build-up and had to be stretchered off. Kolo Toure replaced him at right back.

It was quite ironic that the home side chose that moment to fashion their clearest chance of the match. Clichy slung a high ball to the far post, Adebayor rose highest and his stumbling header bounced off the upright.

In the 76th minute, Vela chested the ball down for Adebayor but the Togolese saw his shot blocked and his follow-up fly high over the bar.

The Mexican striker would have an unwitting hand in Villa’s second. He seemed to be fouled on the edge of the area but referee Riley waved play on. The visitors thumped the ball forward for Agbonlahor, who outsprinted Gallas to plant his shot beyond Almunia.

It was a sickener for Arsenal. But you could have no case for any other result but an away win.The home side pressured until the end but Brad Friedel was largely untroubled.

This had been a very, very bad day at the office.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'At the moment we are not consistent enough'

On the performance…
“The performance was not good but it was the kind of game where you can win 1-0. Could we have lost the game in the first half? Yes. But we lost it today when we should not have lost it anymore. At that moment we were closer to winning it. It was the kind of game where you cannot afford a mistake at the back and I believe we were punished because of that.”

On conceding controversial goals…
“We were a bit unlucky as well on the first goal because we have Bacary Sagna who is down after getting injured. I believe as well for the second goal there was a blatant foul on Carlos Vela on the edge of their box. Instead of having a chance to play 1-1 we are then 2-0 down.

“The referee could have stopped the play but I don’t complain because of that. We scored an own goal, Villa didn’t score the goal.“

On the Jekyll and Hyde performances this week and last week…
“That is football, how can you explain the performance of Villa last week against Middlesbrough and the performance they produced today? It is the same. Top level performance is consistency. At the moment we are not consistent enough to be produce that kind of performance week-in week-out.

“You have to accept that the game is played by human beings and sometimes physically they have a drop. It is very difficult for us to have a rational explanation about what happened today. I believe that the team want it but it was just like a few other times this year where it is unexplainable why we don’t really play at our 100% potential.”

On what the defeat means to his side’s title aspirations…
“I don’t believe that you can speak about champions or not champions. If you want to be champions you want to be consistent and at the moment we are not.

“I do not want to go on definite solutions or headlines. I just think that despite the fact that we were not at our best, this game was winnable. We lost it at a moment when we should not have lost it anymore. Had we lost it in the first half, ok ‘bye-bye’ they had their day and they won. But we lost this game today from the moment when we shouldn’t lost it anymore.”

On deserving defeat…
“How many times was I in press conferences where I thought that we deserved to win the game but we lost and everybody finds it absolutely normal. I say Villa played well and they deserved to win but we lost the game from the moment when we were slowly getting on top of them. That is the kind of game where you cannot afford to make mistakes defensively. We were not sharp and they were never in the situation where they had to come out.

“When we made the changes it was 0-0 and we lost 0-2. You can make all kinds of explanations but as a team we were not sharp”

On Villa breaking into the top four…
“I don’t want to talk about Villa because I don’t know them very well. Today they played very well but I saw the game against Middlesbrough on tape and they could have lost six or seven so it is very difficult for me to assess. They have a big potential if you look at the performance today.”

On the side’s inexperience costing them…
“Maybe I don’t know. At the back it could be explained but upfront a little bit less.

“Yes we had a very young midfield but we played against more experienced midfielders. Any midfield in the league is more experienced than ours but it doesn’t stop us from dominating them.”

On Sagna’s injury…
“Yes it is serious. He will be out for a few weeks; he has an injured ankle.”

On January signings…
“It is too early. We are mid November we have to see where we are at the end of December. Anyway at the moment to speculate about transfers it won’t help.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Fabregas suspended for Manchester City clash

Cesc Fabregas picked up his fifth booking of the Premier League season against Aston Villa on Saturday. As a result he will be suspended for one game - the match at Manchester City on November 22.

The Spaniard picked up cautions Against Newcastle, Bolton wanderers, West Ham and Stoke before his 17th minute yellow card against Aston Villa on Saturday.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Almunia - We have to make some changes now

Manuel Almunia believes Arsenal have to make changes after their 2-0 defeat at home to Aston Villa on Saturday.

The keeper did his best to inspire Arsène Wenger’s side with a first-half penalty save from Ashley Young. However Arsenal never got going and were well-beaten via an own goal from Gael Clichy and a breakaway strike from Gabriel Agbonlahor.

The game was in stark contrast to last weekend’s wonderful win over Manchester United and leaves the Emirates Stadium side nine points adrift of leaders Chelsea. The keeper knows Arsenal must soldier on but not in the same style.

“We have to continue doing our job,” said Almunia. “First of all because of respect for the fans. Anything is possible but we have to change many things from today.

“We are the same team [as last Saturday] but each player has to analyse his performance because today’s game was Arsenal’s worst for a long time.

“It is very disappointing because after the penalty I thought the team would be more excited and grow with desire to win the game. But the penalty did not change anything and that is embarrassing for us.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Defeat is hardest for the managers

According to Arsène Wenger, managers find it “much harder” to deal with defeats than players.

Wenger’s side suffered their fourth Premier League defeat of the campaign against Aston Villa on Saturday, already one more than in the whole of last season.

The manager admits that it usually takes a couple of days for the disappointment to subside before he can analyse the display. However, the Frenchman is unsure if rigorous examination of the performance against the Villans will really help.

“We were beaten by a team who were sharper than us,” said Wenger after the game. “You can watch that again on the tape; it doesn’t change.

“It is much harder [for managers]. You look at the tape again but it is always very difficult after the game. Those first 48 hours are very difficult for every manager.”

Seite 20 von 41 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 40 41

Moderated by  toubi 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Winamax VfB Stuttgart
Winamax VfB Stuttgart VIP Tickets Gewinnspiel
Gewinnspiele
500 € Tippspiel EUROPA-Torschützen.
von pik7 - 19/04/2024 08:55
550 € DFB-Pokal Torschützencup 23/24
von pik7 - 05/04/2024 20:19
Betano - Welcome
Wer ist jetzt online
19 members (Haiefan, Bambi, ghk225, dragoon, AllesSuper, Bartho01, Flip160, Hackentrick, grottenoli, Gamera), 2,648 Gäste, und 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Poster(30 Tage)
Haiefan 99
pik7 49
toubi 32
Forum Statistiken
Forum25
Themen1,439
Beiträge121,294
Mitglieder3,864
Am meisten online8,723
Feb 16th, 2016
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Spielen mit Verantwortung - Responsible Gaming
Wetten Sie nicht über ihre Verhältnisse.

Wenn Sie oder jemanden, den Sie kennen, ein Problem mit Spielsucht hat, raten wir Ihnen, dass Sie Hilfe von einer dieser anerkannten Organisationen in Betracht ziehen:

18+ Glücksspiel kann süchtig machen - Hilfe finden Sie auf www.bzga.de

Gamblers Anonymous
Webseite www.gamblersanonymous.org

Gambling Therapy
Webseite www.gamblingtherapy.org

Weiterführende Links finden Sie auch außerdem weiter unten bei unseren Partnerseiten.

Unsere Partner & Links:
Bundesliga Tippspiel - Forum Gluecksspielsucht - gamCare - begambleaware - Wettbonus - Wettbasis - Flashscore
DATENSCHUTZ
IMPRESSUM