bet365
NeoBet Profi
NeoBet Profi
ShoutChat
Kommentarrichtlinien: Posten Sie respektvolle und aufschlussreiche Kommentare. Kein Flamen, Hassen, Spam.
Neuste Mitglieder
pyriel, Fancy_Franzi, Gamera, danny, gRuBer
3,865 Registrierte Mitglieder
bwin - Sportwetten Bonus
Bookie-News
Geburtstage heute
Es gibt keine Mitglieder mit Geburtstagen an diesem Tag.
Vorheriger Thread
Nächster Thread
Thread drucken
Bewertung: 5
Seite 38 von 41 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 41
Beigetreten: Dec 2007
braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 2-2 Everton

Barclays Premier League, Emirates Stadium

Saturday, January 09, 2010, 15:00

* Denilson 28,
* Rosicky 90

* Osman 13,
* Pienaar 81

Tomas Rosicky grabbed an injury-time equaliser as Arsenal twice came from behind to draw 2-2 with Everton in a thunderous affair at Emirates Stadium.

It seemed for much of this afternoon that Arsène Wenger's side were about to fall to their fifth Premier League defeat of the campaign.

On a freezing North London day, Arsenal were caught cold in the ninth minute when Leon Osman powered home a header from Landon Donovan's corner.

The home side gradually roused themselves and equalised just before the half-hour when Denilson's drive deflected past Tim Howard.

In the second half, both sides threw all their resources at the task of grabbing the three points as a snowstorm enveloped Emirates Stadium. With nine minutes left, Everton appeared to have won the game when Steve Pienaar burst clear and produced the cheekiest of finishes to beat Almunia.

However, in the second minute of stoppage time, Rosicky's drive clipped Lucas Neill and flew past Howard.

The point keeps Arsenal third whereas a win would have taken them second and within touching distance of leaders Chelsea.

However, whatever your perspective, you cannot deny that Everton were well worth their draw this afternoon.

Meanwhile the critics will argue Arsenal slipped up in the snow today.

Certainly this was an opportunity missed. Yet when the performance is off-key, a team rely on guts and spirit to pull them through in adverse conditions. That is what Arsenal did today.

They are still in thick of the title race.

Wenger made six changes from the side that had come from behind to beat West Ham last Sunday.

Manuel Almunia, Armand Traore, Denilson, Samir Nasri, Abou Diaby, Andrey Arshavin all returned. Lukasz Fabianski, Alex Song, Mikael Silvestre, Jack Wilshere, Fran Merida and Carlos Vela made way. Rosicky was on the bench having recovered from his hamstring injury.

The snow that had caused the midweek postponement had not shifted in the intervening days. The temperature had not changed, so it was never going to.

As a result, the Club had employed people with blowtorches to melt stubborn ice around the stadium area. It was still bitterly cold however and, as if to prove a point, a snow storm blew up just before kick-off.

Arsenal were the form side but Everton settled the quicker. Louis Saha nodded the ball into the net in the opening minutes but was rightly flagged offside. Shortly afterwards he collected a raking pass from Pienaar, shook off the stumbling Thomas Vermaelen but fired wildly over the bar.

Apart from Diaby's wayward cross-shot the home side had been caught napping early on.

And, in the 13th minute, they were caught cold.

Donovan swung a corner into the middle of the area and the diminutive Osman stole in front of William Gallas to thunder in a header. Denilson was stationed on the far post but could not prevent the ball going in.

The goal enlivened the crowd and they did their best to impart that urgency on their team.

It started to work.

Diaby lofted a ball over the defence to Gallas at the far post. The centre back clipped the ball past Howard but Leighton Baines hooked clear.

By the midway point of the first half, Arsenal were starting to stir. They had begun creating pressure but, when the equaliser came, it was more luck than judgement.

In the 28th minute, Nasri curled in a cross from the right. Arshavin and Eduardo then set up Denilson to fire goalwards. The Brazilian obliged and his effort deflected off Osman to leave Howard flat-footed.

Arsenal were now in the ascent. Eduardo had claims for a penalty after playing hopscotch through the middle of the Everton defence. The striker then saw a sliding effort hit Howard's legs. It was flagged offside, wrongly according to replays.

Everton had gone into their shell since the equaliser but they nearly regained the lead in the 36th minute when Almunia misjudged a right-wing hanging cross from Phil Neville and Tim Cahill's header bobbled dangerously across the area before being hacked to safety.

This was turning into a blood-and-thunder affair. Both sides had an admirable effervescence given the conditions.

After half time, the snow became thicker and the pace became faster.

Eduardo tried to weave his way through again and poke the ball through to Ramsey inside the area. His touch beat Howard but took him wide. By the time his cross came in the keeper had recovered.

Meanwhile at the other end, Saha was still Everton's cutting edge. The French striker darted past Traore and Gallas in the 62nd minute but his deflected shot curled inches wide of the far post.

Three minutes later, Wenger brought Rosicky on for Ramsey and the Czech international nearly made an instant impact. Sagna sent over a deep cross from the right and Howard batted the ball away from Rosicky's head.

Arsenal were now stepping up their game. Traore's low-cross fizzed across the area and, from the resulting corner, Rosicky's drive fell to Vermaelen, who saw a fierce goalbound shot blocked. Then, after firing narrowly over, Denilson claimed a penalty when he was clattered in the area.

By now the crowd were singing ‘jump up if you love Arsenal'. It was 50 per cent devotion and 50 per cent necessity.

With 15 minutes left, Cahill reached the byline and cut inside only for Diaby to intervene. Arshavin did likewise at the other end, only this time his cross was scrambled away for a corner.

This was a toe-to-toe scrap now. Both sides were going for three points without flinching. The only ‘settling' being done was by the snow on the pitch.

With nine minutes left, Everton grabbed a second. Cahill spotted Pienaar streaking through the middle and the South African raced half the length of the pitch to go one-on-one with Almunia.

The Spaniard has just ‘set' himself when Pienaar made his move. The midfielder lifted his effort over the crouching keeper and into the net. An exquisite finish.

From the kick-off, it was nearly 3-1. Under challenge from no-one, Denilson collapsed in the centre circle and James Vaughan raced through. This time Almunia stood up to make a crucial stop.

The Brazilian was stretchered off and replaced by Fran Merida. Seconds later, Pienaar fired inches over the bar.

The injury precipitated five minutes of stoppage time. In the second of those they grabbed the leveller when Rosicky's drive clipped Lucas Neill and flew past Howard. It set up a grandstand finish.

A nasty collision between Traore and Almunia took the steam out of the finale.

But, at full time, Arsenal had to be happy with the point they had obtained.

Quelle: arsenal.com

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'Arsenal return would be a dream come true' daumenhoch

Sol Campbell admits that a return to Arsenal would be a "dream come true".

The 35-year-old pulled on a Gunners shirt for the first time in nearly four years when he played the first half of Tuesday night's Reserve League game at West Ham. Now Campbell is hoping to put the finishing touches to a deal which would take him back to the club he left in May 2006.

It would represent a huge turnaround for the former England defender, who has not played a competitive game since making his one and only appearance for Notts County in September. Campbell has trained with Arsène Wenger's squad since he was released in December and is now on the brink of a return to the big time.

"It is a dream come true," said Campbell. "I have had a few offers, but then Arsène came in and I said 'OK, let's make it happen'. I was ecstatic, it was the best moment I have had in football for a long time.

"I was at the training ground and it was a gradual process. He was really watching me train, studying me and seeing how I was. They put certain sessions on and they all talk, from the physios to the fitness guys to the manager. They had a massive dossier on me!

"I am desperate to play, I want to play football and being away from the game has really got me going. It has revitalised me. I am fresh and I am ready."

Campbell slotted in seamlessly at Upton Park on Tuesday night, helping Arsenal ease into a two-goal lead before he was substituted at half-time. So did it feel strange to wear those Arsenal colours again?

"No, I feel very comfortable with it, very comfortable," he said. "It was fantastic. It was just great to be out there, feeling my way around. It has been a long time, seven months for a proper game anyway. This is great, I can't believe it really.

"I realised that a deal could happen probably about two or three weeks ago. I wasn't shocked because I was training hard. Arsène is a very clever man when it comes to football and I think he just saw my determination and the staff as well. Everybody chipped in and he obviously takes time to make a decision.

"If it all comes off, I have got to repay that faith and whenever I play I need to contribute and help out. It's a long season and there are big games coming up."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Bolton Wanderers 0-2 Arsenal

Barclays Premier League, Reebok Stadium

Sunday, January 17, 2010, 16:00

* Fabregas 28,
* Merida 78

Arsenal are closing in on the top of the Premier League table.

Arsène Wenger's side carved out a hard-fought 2-0 victory in a crucial fixture at Bolton on Sunday. If they do the same thing in the return game at Emirates Stadium in midweek they will go ahead of Chelsea and Manchester United.

It could be a significant moment in their season.

It is highly appropriate that today's result should put Arsenal in such a strong position because this was a title-winning kind of victory.

The visitors were under pressure for sustained periods of this game. Bolton, under new manager Owen Coyle, quizzed their opponents at the start of each half but Arsenal always had an answer. A well-worked goal from Cesc Fabregas gave them a vital lead just before the half-hour then, 12 minutes from time, substitute Fran Merida fired home a game-clinching second.

‘Fluent Arsenal' were not present at the Reebok today. Bolton would not allow that. Instead, ‘dogged Arsenal' took their place and they were determined enough to create a couple of opportunities for their undoubted class to shine through.

It is a method that has brought the Premier League title to Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge in recent years.

And it looks like Arsenal might have copied the formula this season.

Before kick-off, Wenger's team news was significant. Going into Friday's training session, the manager knew he would be without Alex Song (international duty) and Denilson (rib). However in training that day he lost Aaron Ramsey to a muscular problem and subsequently Samir Nasri suffered a hamstring injury.

That situation heralded the call-up of Craig Eastmond. The 19-year-old had played in the defensive midfield role with some distinction in the Carling Cup earlier in the campaign but this was his first Premier League start.

Elsewhere, Fabregas returned after hamstring trouble and Tomas Rosicky, fresh from his crucial equaliser last week, started on the right. Gael Clichy was back in the squad for the first time since October 31 but only made the bench.

Both teams emerged to a barrage of drums. Clearly the plan was to have the Reebok Stadium rocking for Coyle's opening fixture.

The Scot nearly had a dream start. Within 45 seconds of the whistle, Chung-Young Lee and Fabrice Muamba set up Kevin Davies in the area but Fabregas popped up in the six-yard box to hack the ball clear. The early moments certainly belonged to the home side but Arsenal soon imposed themselves.

Fabregas and Rosicky belted the shots wide and then Jussi Jaaskelainen had to rush out then bat ball away from the scampering Eduardo.

Arsenal were looking inventive going forward and, in the 12th minute, that should have won them a penalty. Eduardo curled in a low cross from the left-hand side and Fabregas flicked the ball away from Jaaskelainen. In his follow-through the keeper swept his feet around to bring down the Spaniard. Referee Phil Dowd waved play on as the floored Fabregas rolled around in frustration.

Bolton's best attacking avenue was down their right-hand side. In the 20th minute Armand Traore was caught in possession and Tamir Cohen's cross was fumbled behind by Almunia. The Israeli then hacked over the bar and Ivan Klasnic forced a low save from Almunia.

However despite a decent amount of possession, most of the quality was still coming from Arsenal, with Arshavin a growing influence. The Russian saw his low cross dribble inches away from Eduardo then he cut inside his marker only for his attempted curler to be deflected wide.

Arsenal seemed to be laying down preparatory work for a goal.

It arrived in the 28th minute.

Diaby darted into the area but lost the ball. Eventually it fell to Fabregas who kept his cool to play a delightful one-two with Eduardo and the pick his spot with a low shot into the corner. It was the Spaniard's 13th goal of the season.

In the 31st minute, Arsenal nearly grabbed a second. Fabregas' deep corner fell to Eastmond on the edge of the area. The midfielder met the ball with a sidefoot volley. It was a pacy effort than found a path through the crowded area only for Jaaskelainen to clutch the ball on the line.

Fabregas had claims for another penalty shout shortly afterwards when he was clipped by Zat Knight. The Arsenal captain tussled with Matt Taylor afterwards both got a lecture from referee Dowd.

Rosicky and Paul Robinson were booked shortly afterwards as tempers flared momentarily.

As half time approached both sides had chances to score. First Lee's low shot forced Almunia into a sharp save then Arshavin's cutback was tapped past the far post by the stumbling Fabregas with the goal gaping.

It was an open opportunity but no better than the one Bolton carved out in injury time.

With his back to goal, Klasnic nodded the ball over Gallas and Almunia had to thrust out a hand to stop him prodding home the equaliser. It was an unprepossessing save but it preserved Arsenal's lead as they went into the break.

As in the first half, Bolton were off the blocks much the quicker after the restart and, again, they were inventive down their right-hand side. Lee got in a number of worrying positions and fired in probing crosses. The most dangerous for Arsenal came when Gallas' outstretched leg diverted the ball towards the far post and the diving Almunia had to intercept.

Bolton were turning the screw and Arsenal were struggling to keep them off.

In fairness the visitors kept clear chances to a minimum. The best came just before the hour when Klasnic freed Taylor on the left of the area but the midfielder blazed his effort over the bar.

Gallas slid a header over the bar and Eduardo nearly profited from Arshavin's left-wing cross but undoubtedly Bolton were in the ascendancy.

Just past the hour, Fran Merida replaced Eastmond and Diaby dropped into the holding role. Gradually Arsenal flexed their muscles once more.

However in the 70th minute Bolton might have got on level terms when Gavin McCann's lofted pass found Taylor midway inside the Arsenal half with a clear run on goal. The former Portsmouth midfielder did not realise the extent of his isolation and snatched at an early shot. It rolled harmlessly wide and the opportunity went begging.

Wenger then brought on Clichy for Rosicky to shore up Arsenal's left flank. A wise move. With 15 minutes left, Vermaelen, who had been outstanding in defence this afternoon, curled a free-kick on to the top of the net.

Three minutes later, they got the crucial second. A sweeping move ended with Eduardo clipping a inviting cross to the far post. It was flicked off Gary Cahill's head and Merida collected with his left foot before steering home a cross-shot with his right. It was another silky finish from a small Spanish central midfielder.

Bolton were now spent. Taylor rammed an effort over the bar but, in truth, Arsenal cruised home.

This used to be a bogey ground for Wenger's men but this was their fourth straight win at the Reebok.

Times are clearly changing.

And, on Wednesday, the lead in the Premier League might do the self-same thing.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'We know there is still a long way to go'

On the importance of having Cesc Fabregas back...
"If you watch the game today it is difficult to say how much but you don't have to explain that it is important."

On if there is a midfielder as good as him in the Premier League at the moment...
"I have not seen all the games but what is very interesting for us is that Cesc gets stronger and stronger and has more personality on the pitch, like the whole team. He will be 23 this year so he is just starting."

On if Fabregas' fitness is key to Arsenal's title challenge...
"In the last 48 hours we lost Aaron Ramsey and Samir Nasri to injuries and we now go into a period where every game becomes very, very important. For us it is important not to lose any more players and especially Fabregas because he is just coming back now. We survived okay when he wasn't there but in the period coming up now where we have so many big games it is important to have him."

On his side's performance...
"We expected a fully committed Bolton team and we were not disappointed. They gave absolutely everything and put us under pressure with long balls. We tried to get the ball down and play and sometimes it worked well. We dropped our level a little bit in the second half and that's where they had a 20-minute period where they had chances and looked dangerous. I believe that the pitch was not easy today for our game so our passing was not always exceptional. It was important for us not to go into the last 15 minutes only one goal up. The second goal killed the game."

On the referee's performance...
"I felt that the referee kept things calm quite well because there were a few occasions where it looked very heated and he didn't pull out the red card too quickly and that calmed things down."

On the atmosphere at Reebok Stadium...
"It was very positive for Bolton and Arsenal as well. Our away fans are fantastic."

On having the chance to go top of the Premier League after the next game...
"Our motivation will be 100 per cent. We know that we are in a quite interesting position where nobody expected us to be. We have the belief and we really want to have a go. You have seen today that Bolton made life difficult for us so we have to be completely focussed."

On Nasri's injury...
"It is what I call a 21-day injury. It is a clean hamstring [injury]."

On how long Ramsey will be out for...
"The same [as Nasri's] but it is not a hamstring injury, it is a thigh. We have a little chance to get Denilson and Walcott back for Wednesday and to get Bendtner back in 10 days maybe."

On what it will mean to the players if Arsenal go top on Wednesday...
"We know that there is a long way to go. We are a big club and when you are a big club the most difficult thing is like what happened last year, when in October you know you will not fight for the title. Now we have a chance to fight for it so lets have a go."

On Craig Eastmond...
"He has shown that he has qualities to be a player for us but in some occasions as well that he is not ready. Overall he has shown interesting things. In the second-half he got tired and then he started to lose some balls that you do not want to lose but overall it was an interesting performance."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Nasri and Ramsey sidelined for three weeks

Samir Nasri and Aaron Ramsey are expected to return from injury in three weeks' time.

Both players sat out Sunday's trip Bolton, forcing Arsène Wenger to shuffle his pack ahead of the 2-0 victory which took Arsenal to within three points of leaders Chelsea.

After the game the manager explained why he will have to do without Nasri and Ramsey until next month. However, Wenger also revealed that he could welcome back two injured players for Wednesday's return match with Bolton.

"Nasri's injury is what I call a '21-day injury'," he said. "It is a clean hamstring [injury].

"Ramsey's [absence] will be the same [as Nasri's] but it is not a hamstring injury, it is a thigh.

"We have a little chance to get Denilson and Theo Walcott back for Wednesday and to get Nicklas Bendtner back in 10 days maybe."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Walcott and Denilson return for Bolton clash

Theo Walcott and Denilson are back in the Arsenal squad for Wednesday night’s game against Bolton.

Arsène Wenger’s side can go top of the table if they repeat their 2-0 win at the Reebok Stadium on Sunday and the return of the two midfielders will only help their cause. The Brazilian has been out since he was stretchered off with a rib injury in the final minutes against Everton on January 9. Walcott has been missing since December 27 because of hamstring trouble.

On the downside, Fran Merida is out. The Spaniard suffered a kick on his ankle at Bolton just before he netted the visitors’ second goal 12 minutes from time.

Aaron Ramsey (thigh) and Samir Nasri (hamstring) suffered injuries in the build-up to that game. Both are expected to be out for three weeks.

However Nicklas Bendtner, who has been sidelined since October 31, has a return date. The Danish striker is pencilled in for a comeback at Aston Villa in 10 days’ time.

“Denilson and Walcott are available for Wednesday night,” Wenger told Arsenal TV Online on Monday afternoon.

“It is a big boost of course because they were out for a while and it gives us some fresh players. Walcott has been unlucky with some small niggling injuries and so it is good to have him back.

“Nicklas Bendtner should be available for the Villa game on January 27 too. He should be back from next week onwards – Monday or Tuesday. Maybe he will not be completely ready for Stoke but, after that, he should be able to be in the squad.

“Unfortunately we have lost Fran Merida who got kicked straight away when he came on [at Bolton] and his ankle was very bad today. But that is all we should lose from Sunday.

“However Nasri and Ramsey will be 21 days each. We could have a good surprise with both because they are usually quick recovering players but common sense tells us 21 days.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 4-2 Bolton Wanderers

Wednesday, January 20, 2010, 19:45

* Rosicky 44,
* Fabregas 53,
* Vermaelen 65,
* Arshavin 85

* Cahill 6,
* Taylor 28 (pen)

Arsenal are top of the Premier League.

Arsène Wenger's side produced a stunning four-goal comeback to beat Bolton at Emirates Stadium on Wednesday and overtake Chelsea by virtue of goals scored.

In the build-up to the game, the manager had charged his side with task of going top but, after 28 minutes of this pulsating affair, that dream was in tatters.

Bolton took a shock lead in the seventh minute when Gary Cahill struck from close range. Just before the half-hour, Denilson fouled Chung-Yong Lee and Matthew Taylor squeezed home a penalty.

Tomas Rosicky tossed Wenger's off-kilter side a lifeline with a long-range drive just before half time. But, after the restart, the home team were irresistible.

This was storming, storming Arsenal.

Seven minutes in, Cesc Fabregas burst through and steered home shot from an acute angle then, just before the hour, Thomas Vermaelen lashed home a loose ball after a corner.

It seemed that would be that and, frankly, most of us would have settled for it.

However five minutes from time, Andrey Arshavin bulldozered through the Bolton defence to fire home that crucial fourth.

Of course, in itself, this table means nothing. The last time Arsenal were top, on August 28, it was worth little either. Standings only lead to silverware in May.

But it does show Wenger's men are cast-iron contenders - strong in mind and body. These back-to-back games with Bolton have been mighty tough but Arsenal have come through.

Going top means they are now there to be shot at themselves of course. However, if tonight is anything to go by, this side is armour-plated.

Before kick-off, Wenger's only changes saw him bring in experience for youth. From Sunday's side, Craig Eastmond and Armand Traore dropped out; Denilson and Gael Clichy came in. It was the Frenchman's first start since the 3-0 victory over Tottenham on October 31.

Theo Walcott was named in the squad for the first time since December 27 but he only made the bench.
Bolton's main change was a surprise. Despite a lively game on Sunday, Ivan Klasnic dropped to the bench.

There was a strange lethargy about the Emirates Stadium early on. Transport delays meant the ground filled up late and there was little buzz just before kick-off.

Arsenal's start was entirely in keeping with that. Yes, early efforts from Abou Diaby and Arshavin warmed the hands of Jussi Jaaskelainen early on but the saves were pretty regulation.

Bolton, meanwhile, had purpose. They clearly fancied the task tonight and their industry got them a goal in the seventh minute.

Arsenal had a couple of chances to clear a left-wing free-kick. From the second, Clichy skied his attempted clearance and Kevin Davies' nodded the ball down for Cahill to sweep home. A poor, poor goal to concede.

The home side were utterly stung. They were in danger of turning down an open invitation to go top.

In fairness, Cahill's goal woke them up. It was about time. In the 12th minute Rosicky's touch sent Cesc Fabregas clear on the left of the area and, as Bolton appealed for offside, the Spaniard's bounced a shot off Jaaskelainen when he should have scored.

Two minutes later, Diaby sent a raking ball to Eduardo just outside the area. With few outlets the Croatian went for what ice-hockey fans would call a slap-shot. It flew inches over the bar.

While Arsenal had yet to find their composure they had at least created a head of steam. In the minutes that followed Arshavin bobbled a shot just wide and Zat Knight sent a hurried clearing header inches over his own bar.

But, as on Sunday, the first half was open, exciting and attacking with Bolton playing a full part.

In the 16th minute, Vermaelen fouled Davies and Taylor's free-kick fully extended Almunia.

That duel would be repeated 11 minutes later. Again Bolton were afforded too much space in the area and Denilson brought down Chung-Yong Lee. A crystal clear penalty.

Almunia guessed correctly when Taylor stepped up to take the spot-kick however the ball still found a way into the corner.

It was looking bleak for Arsenal but, on the upside, they were certainly creating clear enough chances to get themselves back in the game.

In the 36th minute, Fabregas' meandered through most of the Bolton midfield before setting up Eduardo 10 yards out. The stumbling Croatian tried to steer the ball into the far corner but his effort lacked the strength to beat Jaaskelainen.

Five minutes from the break, Fabregas scooped a free-kick into the area and, off-balance, Davies nodded the ball against his own bar.

It was turning into a curious game. Arsenal were far from fluent and trailing 2-0 but they could have scored four themselves by this point.

At least, when they did get on the scoresheet, it was a goal of quality. Fabregas, as ever, was the instigator, darting inside his marker and feeding the ball out to Rosicky on the right. The Czech midfielder was 30 yards out and tightly marked. But showing exquisite balance he jinked some space and lashed home a rocket of shot.

Emirates ignited, the game was alive. Arsenal poured forward until the whistle but could not find an equaliser.

The impetus was still with them when the game restarted. Bolton had a few minutes of early pressure but Arsenal had retained all the urgency created from Rosicky's rocket.

Seven minutes after the break, they found an equaliser.

As he has done so often in recent weeks, Gallas stormed forward to supplement to the attack. The Frenchman's challenge on Mark Davies won the ball but left the Bolton midfielder in a heap. Gallas played on and eventually Fabregas bundled his way inside the six-yard box before sliding an angled shot through the legs of Jaaskelainen and into the far corner.

While Arsenal celebrated, the keeper raced to the referee to protest. Gallas had appeared to tread on Davies' ankle and, after lengthy treatment, the youngster was carried off.

The home side now had the bit between their teeth. Fabregas crashed an effort inches over the bar and, in the 65th minute, their comeback proved irresistible.

Fabregas floated over a corner from the right and Vermaelen's high, hanging header was touched back into the Belgian's path by Diaby. The centre half swung a determined foot at the ball from 10 yards out. His contact was not perfect but he was so close to goal that the sliced shot bounced off the inside of the far post and flew into the net.

It was Vermaelen's sixth goal of the season and undoubtedly the most important.

Having worked so hard to get the lead you could understand Arsenal easing off the gas a little.

It seemed for a while that this tall tale would not have its happy ending.

However five minutes from time Arshavin withstood a couple of half-hearted Bolton challenges to fire home the fourth.

In the dying seconds, the Russian should have made it five but he spurned the support of substitute Theo Walcott to go for goal alone. It was a rare wrong move for Arsenal in the second half.

The home fans left Emirates Stadium singing ‘we are top of the League'.

Of course they were right but their team had taken them on one hell of a journey to get there this evening.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger: 'I know this team will not give up'

on being top of the table...
Chelsea have a game in hand but it is good because we had two difficult games against Bolton with a new manager. We faced two cup games and our mental strength, our physical strength, were deeply tested in both games.

on William Gallas' challenge before the equaliser...
I am sorry if the tackle was not good, really. There are two things I have heard just now: one, that he [Owen Coyle] was not happy with the tackle, and I am sorry if the tackle was not a good one. I apologise for that. The second thing, that he [Coyle] was not happy that we carried on playing, I think that is unfair because the players who went on, they did not know what was happening behind. When the player went down, they did not know if he got up again because when you win the ball you go forward, you don't know what is happening behind you. That is why I don't believe you can kick the ball out every time a player is down when you win the ball. That means every time you win the ball when you are 2-1 down, every time a player goes down you have to kick the ball out - it's impossible. That's why they changed the rule.

on a similar incident counting against Arsenal last week...
I don't know if you remember but when you asked me about the Everton game [when Denilson went down in open play and Everton attacked], I said straight away I didn't expect them to kick the ball out. It was a much more obvious situation because Denilson went down, they got the ball and went to score the third goal. I said after the game that it was OK.

on the tackles made over two games with Bolton...
In the last two games if you get all the challenges we got, and we had to absorb, and the challenges we made, I am not sure it is in our favour, because we got some big tackles. But we had to cope with it and I am sorry if it was foul [by Gallas] but I cannot change the referee's decision.

on his first impression of the tackle by Gallas...
It didn't look dirty from outside. What I saw was two or three players, it was not only William in there. I think Fabregas was in there at the start as well. I don't know, I have to watch it again.

on hearing the Arsenal fans cheering Davies' injury...
Of course, we don't want that. I believe always we are responsible for our behaviour whatever happens anywhere else.

on his team's nervy start...
I felt we could come back, yes, but as well you think that the next mistake could be deadly and can turn the game completely the other way. You could be 3-0 down so it was important to play at a high tempo and not make another mistake at the back. At 2-1 it created a doubt in their mind and created a belief in our heads. I know this team will not give up, they will fight until the end.

on Abou Diaby's injury...
Diaby has a calf strain, from a kick he got at Bolton on his calf. He went into the game with a stiff calf already and he didn't survive. I don't know how long he will be out. You have to check with him because you see more on the scan, so we have to be cautious.

on showing graft as well as craft...
I think we can [mix it]. We are certainly much more physically resistant. You cannot find a team better than Bolton in doing what they did tonight because they marked us man to man, they didn't give us an inch of space. When they had the ball they kicked it to Kevin Davies who went for every challenge, then they went well for the second ball. They did that very well, so physically you are never more tested than against a Bolton team.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Gibbs to miss rest of the season

Kieran Gibbs will have surgery on his foot in order to fully recover from the serious injury that he sustained in November.

Kieran suffered a depressed open fracture to his first metatarsal on his left foot, after a tackle with Eliaquim Manga during the UEFA Champions League match game against Standard Liege.

The fracture has failed to heal satisfactorily and to ensure a complete recovery, Kieran will undergo an operation in London on Friday. He will have a bone graft to stimulate the healing process and give him the best chance of a full recovery. It is expected that Kieran's rehabilitation will take approximately five months.

Speaking exclusively to The Official Arsenal Magazine, which is available from Thursday morning, Kieran said: "Needless to say I'm gutted - there's just no other word. The other option than surgery would have been to wait and let the bone grow in my foot, but we didn't want to do that because I'd have to wait another six weeks just to have another scan. I'd run the risk of it carrying on into next season, and we don't want to do that."

Gibbs added: "I'm now just looking to recover from the injury, work really hard and be ready for next season."

Everyone at Arsenal wishes Kieran a speedy recovery and looks forward to him being back on the pitch soon.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Stoke City 3-1 Arsenal

The FA Cup sponsored by E.ON, Britannia Stadium

Sunday, January 24, 2010, 13:30

* Fuller 2, 78,
* Whitehead 86

* Denilson 41

Arsenal are out of the FA Cup.

Arsène Wenger's side went down 3-1 in a thunderous Fourth Round tie at Stoke on Sunday.

Both managers were true to their pre-match promises. Arsenal were a mixture of experience and youth while the home side were at full-strength.

Stoke took the lead within 70 seconds when Ricardo Fuller nodded home a trademark Rory Delap throw-in. By half time Arsenal had recovered from the shock and, just before the whistle, equalised through Denilson.

But Stoke were the stronger side in the second half and so it was no surprise to see Wenger make a triple substitution midway through the half. Such boldness had won the Third Round tie at West Ham earlier this month.

Today, however, it did not work. Mamady Sidibe set up Fuller for his second in the 78th minute then, just before the end, Dean Whitehead's goal killed off any comeback.

Wenger's team-sheet, especially the bench, had suggested the Frenchman was not prepared to throw away this competition, therefore defeat is a blow.

However, all along, the manager admitted his priorities lay elsewhere.

If Arsenal win the Premier League or Champions League this season then today's defeat will have been worth conceding.

It was not a case of ‘if' Wenger would throw in youngsters this afternoon. It was a case of how many.

There were debuts of varying kinds. Jay Emmanuel-Thomas made his first start of any sort after warming the bench for a number of times in recent games. Francis Coquelin began a game outside the Carling Cup for the first time while this was Sol Campbell's second debut after re-joining the club earlier in the month. Of course the centre back was actually making his 198th appearance for the Club. His last had been at the 2006 Champions League Final.

Armand Traore, Lukasz Fabianski, Mikael Silvestre and Carlos Vela all needed a run. The surprise was the retention of Cesc Fabregas and Denilson in central midfield.

Meanwhile subsitutes Andrey Arshavin, Eduardo, Tomas Rosicky and Aaron Ramsey seemed to represent a sizeable insurance policy.

Stoke were a full strength, literally. Tony Pulis had said he would put out a Premier League team. Arsenal knew what was coming.

The same could be said of the opening goal.

With little over 30 seconds on the clock the home side won a throw in. It was exactly the same position from which the scored in the opening minutes during last season's League game.

As ever Delap's throw was long, powerful and flat. Fuller stole in front of the onrushing Fabianski to send a diving header into the top corner of the net. Exactly 70 seconds had elapsed.

Young, away from home and losing, understandably Arsenal went into their shell for a time.

Stoke, however, looked to kick on. They continued to pepper the Arsenal goal with crosses and throw-ins. Only Campbell's toe-poke prevented Fuller's cut-back finding Sidibe in the middle of the area.

Gradually the visitors did find their feet but chances were scarce.

Theo Walcott set up Vela to shot but Danny Higginbotham nipped in then Denilson had an effort blocked from long-range.

However no team wrestles control from Stoke without a fight. In the 35th minute, Fuller burst past Silvestre in the area and the Arsenal defender appeared to clip him. Replays suggested the Frenchman had been fortunate. It would be a crucial moment.

Four minutes before the break, Glenn Whelan fouled Vela on the left just outside the area. Fabregas shaped to swing the free-kick to the gaggle of players at the far post. Instead he squared to Denilson on the edge of the area. The Brazilian's low drive was deflected but it found a way through a crowded area and into the corner of the net. It was his fourth goal of the season.

Arsenal now had the impetus. They forced a flurry of corners late in the half but, despite the pressure, Thomas Sorensen was untroubled.

Level pegging was just about fair at the break.

However the opening minutes of the second half belonged to Stoke. Campbell slid in expertly to cut out Danny Collins' cross. Then Fabianski brilliantly blocked Fuller's close-range header from Whelan's corner.

Sorensen tipped over from Fabregas' 25-yard drive but it was an oasis in a desert of Stoke pressure. Fuller thumped an effort over the bar as the home side tried to muscle another goal.

It was developing into a good, old-fashioned FA Cup tie. Fittingly it even began raining.

Stoke had the edge but Arsenal were still having their moments. Emmanuel-Thomas nodded Vela through on the left of the area but the Mexican could only hook a shot across the face of goal.

But, straight after that, Sidibe slid a cross toward Matthew Etherington at the far post only for Frances Coquelin to divert the ball out for a corner.

Wenger clearly realised his side were started to lose their way so, midway through the half, he made three changes - Arshavin, Ramsey and Eduardo came on for Walcott, Emmanuel-Thomas and Coquelin.

With 18 minutes left Stoke might have regained the lead but Delap's chest down was heavy and Silvestre slid in to intercept. The Frenchman got caught for his trouble and needed lengthy treatment.

As they had at West Ham in the Third Round, you sensed the substitutions would change the game. They helped set up Vela but the Mexican was dispossessed six yards out. However replays suggested the ball hit the hand of Danny Collins in the aftermath.

It seemed that Arsenal were about start taking over.

Wrong.

In fact Stoke would take the lead and then kill the game.

With 12 minutes left, Sidibe stormed down the right and clipped a delicate cross into the middle of the area. It drifted between Campbell and Eastmond for Fuller to guide home his second of the game.

Ramsey thumped over when well-placed but, with four minutes left, Stoke grabbed a third. Eastmond was caught in possession and Etherington fed Dean Whitehead a simple tap-in.

Substitute Tuncay netted a fourth at the death but it was flagged offside.

Shortly after that the whistle blew. Arsenal were out.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Why I've not bought a new striker

Arsène Wenger has not bought a new player this month because - so far - he hasn't found anyone who could strengthen his squad.

The Arsenal manager admitted last month that he would be in the market for a new striker in January following long-term injuries to Robin Van Persie and Nicklas Bendtner.

However, Bendtner is on the cusp of a comeback and, even in his absence, Arsenal have been scoring goals at a faster rate than any other team in the Premier League.

Wenger has not ruled out a late swoop in the transfer window but he has certain criteria which must be met before he opens his cheque book.

"If I don't find better than what we have [then I will not buy]," said the Frenchman. "At the moment we have not found that.

"You can take players, they're on the market but it's a different thing to find good players that will, let's say, strengthen our squad.

"Also, we didn't know for a while if Bendtner would come back and when.

"It is commonly perceived [that we need a new striker] but we have the best goalscoring record.

"It's strange because I go to press conferences where you [reporters] ask me 'you let too many goals in'. Meanwhile we have the best attack and people ask me ‘why don't you buy strikers?'

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Bendtner on the bench for Villa Park clash

Nicklas Bendtner is set to be named in an Arsenal squad for the first time in almost three months.

The Danish striker is expected to make the bench at Aston Villa on Wednesday night after recovering from a groin problem and hernia surgery.

The last time anyone saw Bendtner in a first-team shirt he was limping off in the early stages of the 3-0 win over Tottenham at Emirates Stadium on October 31. Arsenal have prospered since then but the return of the 23-year-old is still a major boost to Arsène Wenger.

"Bendtner has qualities that are important in the squad," said the manager. "He's a good player and he is tall as well.

"He will be on the bench, Nasri will be there too. They have had [only] one training session but we are short.

"Sagna has a shoulder injury that is still not completely clear. But he will start the game."

Elsewhere, Abou Diaby (calf) is still out and Aaron Ramsey is available after his surprise appearance on the bench at Stoke on Sunday following a thigh problem.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Szczesny can be Arsenal's No 1

Arsène believes that 19-year-old goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny is a future Arsenal No 1.

The youngster is currently on loan at Brentford, where he has put in a string of eye-catching performances, helping the Bees to surge up the League One table.

Szczesny made his international debut for Poland at the end of last year and manager Wenger believes the keeper has a bright future ahead of him.

"I really believe in him that he will one day be Arsenal's No 1," he said.

"He has all the qualities you want from a goalkeeper. That means a good basic confidence level, he is very brave, fantastic size, very agile and his speed in his reflexes is absolutely unbelievable.

"When you think it is a goal, with him it is still no goal. He makes unbelievable saves. We are great believers that he will be an outstanding goalkeeper."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Song returns but may miss Man United game

Alex Song should re-join the Arsenal squad by Thursday but he still might not make the crucial game with Manchester United on Sunday.

The midfielder saw his Cameroon side surprisingly knocked out of the African Cup of Nations by Egypt on Monday night. He flies back to London in the next couple of days but tournament fatigue could see him miss out this weekend.

"The earliest he could come back is tomorrow," said Wenger. "They have to fly back from Angola to Cameroon and then back to London.

"I believe the earliest they will fly back is today, but we expect him tomorrow or Thursday.

"[As for Sunday] we will see how he comes back. But I must say he looked tired in the game yesterday."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'Senderos will not be offered a new deal'

Philippe Senderos will not be offered a new contract at Arsenal.

The Swiss defender moved to Everton on loan this week in search of the top-flight matches he needs to win a place in Switzerland's squad at this summer's World Cup.

Wenger has not ruled out Senderos pulling on an Arsenal shirt again one day but, as it stands, he has no plans to offer the 24-year-old a new deal.

"No [he won't get a new contract]. And he knows that," confirmed Wenger at his pre-match press conference.

Senderos is not the only first-team squad member looking elsewhere for game time in the next few months - Jack Wilshere is expected to complete a temporary move in the next 48 hours.

But, as Wenger pointed out, the circumstances surrounding the two loan deals are very different.

"[The] Senderos [loan] is different. It is only his responsibility," said the manager.

"It is down to me to find an agreement with a club where he goes and afterwards it is only his responsibility whether he plays or not.

"Wilshere is a bit different, we want him to gain experience."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Aston Villa 0-0 Arsenal

Barclays Premier League, Villa Park

Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 19:45

Arsenal began their ‘awesome foursome' with a goalless draw at Aston Villa on Wednesday night.

In the next fortnight Arsène Wenger's side take on a quartet of the Premier League's finest in a spell that could define their title bid.

They opened that run with an attacking, exciting but ultimately even contest this evening. Villa drew a stunning save from Manuel Almunia in the opening minutes and had the more persistent pressure throughout. However the visitors hit the woodwork in each half - via Cesc Fabregas and Tomas Rosicky respectively - and nearly stole all three points at the death. They are now unbeaten in their last 10 Premier League games.

Arsenal had to throw on a rusty Sol Campbell in the first half after Thomas Vermaelen hobbled off. Wenger will also be pleased at the return of Nicklas Bendtner after three months out. But that only happened when Eduardo pulled up injured.

So while there are certain positives and negatives to take in, the mathematics (and Chelsea's victory) mean Arsenal have dropped the third.

Of course Wenger always knew that the key games in this spell come on Sunday against Manchester United and the following weekend at Stamford Bridge.

It seems that crunch time has now arrived.

Not surprisingly there were wholesale changes to the Arsenal side that had lost to Stoke on Sunday. That was the point of the XI sent out at the Britannia Stadium.

More pertinently, there was just one alteration from the team that had gone top of the table by beating Bolton a week earlier - and even that was enforced. Aaron Ramsey replacing the injured Abou Diaby.

Meanwhile Bendtner was back on the bench. His first involvement of any sort since October 31 following groin trouble.

Villa had swarmed all over Arsenal in the early stages of this fixture last season and were unfortunate to lead by just one goal at the break.

They started in very much the same vein this evening. The home side should have taken the lead within three minutes, Gabriel Agbonlahor escaped in the left-hand channel and drove a low shot towards the far corner. Almunia thrust out an instinctive hand to touch the ball past the upright.

It was arguably the best save the keeper had made this season.

Villa were quicker, sharper and looking more determined. Arsenal were on the back foot. They had pockets of pressure but it took the visitors the best part of half an hour to reach an equilibrium.

In the ninth minute, Rosicky turned the ball back to Eduardo, whose bobbling shot was shepherded out for a corner by Richard Dunne. When it came in Denilson fired wide.

But three minutes later, Vermaelen brought down Emile Heskey and Ashley Young curled a free-kick a foot or so wide.

Both Arsenal centre halves were being overworked. Gallas tangled with Agbonlahor on the edge of the area but referee Lee Probert waved play on. The Frenchman was already looking like a stand out player while Vermealen seemed to be struggling after receiving treatment for a leg injury.

It was no surprise when the Belgian hobbled off in the 34th minute and Campbell came on.

That change came seconds after Ashley Young fooled Clichy on the right and, with numerous options in the centre, lofted a ball to the far post. The onrushing Stewart Downing could only sidefoot a shot high over the bar. A waste.

Villa continued to pepper the Arsenal area for the reminder of the half but the visitors started to dig themselves a foot hold in the game.

On the stroke of half time they nearly stole the lead. Fabregas dribbled across the face of goal and slid an angled shot past Freidel and against the base of the post. The ball bounced out towards Rosicky but Ramsey went for it as well. Eventually the Czech international took control but, by then, the area was crowded and he hacked his effort high over the bar.

It was Arsenal's best chance of the half but the visitors still needed the break more than the home side.

They returned refreshed.

In the opening seconds, Arshavin and Clichy combined for the Frenchman to send in a low cross but Friedel beat Fabregas to the ball at the near post.

However a couple of minutes later, Villa should have gone ahead. Young's cross deflected off Gallas and flew over Sagna to Downing at the back post. It seemed the simplest of headers but the former Middlesbrough winger nodded meekly wide. Downing had now enjoyed the two clearest opportunities of the game and had missed them both.

Young's diving header was another indication that Villa had wrestled control of the game once more.

But just then, on the hour, Arsenal nearly scored. Arshavin fled down the left, outpaced the Villa defence but Friedel blocked his shot. Fabregas picked up the rebound and fed Rosicky. The Czech midfielder saw his drive cannon down off the underside of the bar and bounce away.

Before that chance, Eduardo had pulled up while chasing down a clearance and had indicated he needed to come off. After it, Bendtner replaced him.

Arsenal now seemed to have found some impetus. Fabregas saw a deflected dive drift wide while Ramsey and Arshavin had a couple of promising moves snuffed out at the last.

However this was a difficult game to call. As soon as one side began dominating, the other came back.

The final quarter of the game began with Villa on top. However although they won a flurry of free-kicks and corners the home side could do little with them.

Nasri replaced Rosicky and, almost immediately, saw a long range effort deflect wide.

The game built to a mighty crescendo with Arsenal marginally the better side.

In injury time, a fairy tale was quashed when Campbell pounced onto a loose ball in the area only to see his swivelling shot blocked.

The whistle blew seconds later. This was a decent point certainly, but is it enough?

We'll find out in the next 10 days.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Verdacht auf Beinbruch bei Arsenal-Verteidiger Vermaelen doh

Arsenal droht der langfristige Ausfall von Verteidiger Thomas Vermaelen. Der 24-jährige Belgier musste am Mittwoch beim torlosen Remis im Premier-League-Auswärtsspiel gegen Aston Villa verletzt ausgewechselt werden, laut Arsenal-Manager Arsene Wenger besteht sogar der Verdacht auf Beinbruch.

Vermaelen war vor der Saison von Ajax Amsterdam zu den "Gunners" gewechselt und erzielte in seinen bisherigen 31 Einsätzen für einen Defensivspieler durchaus beachtliche sechs Treffer.

Quelle: sport.orf.at

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
No break for Vermaelen but he may miss Utd daumenhoch

Thomas Vermaelen has NOT fractured his leg but he still may miss Arsenal’s Premier League clash with Manchester United on Sunday.

The Belgian limped off in the first half of the draw at Aston Villa on Wednesday night and afterwards manager Arsène Wenger feared the centre back might have broken a bone.

Scans on Thursday afternoon showed there was no break but the leg injury could still sideline Vermaelen in the short term.

On the upside, Wenger has added Emmanuel Eboue and Alex Song to his squad after they returned from the Africa Cup of Nations. Meanwhile Eduardo’s hamstring injury is “small, small, small”. The striker, who also limped off at Villa Park, is out for Sunday but could be back next weekend for the trip to Chelsea. Abou Diaby is also in line to return at Stamford Bridge.

“There is no fracture in Thomas’ leg but his injury still has to be assessed,” said Wenger. “There is still a good chance he will not play on Sunday.

“Eduardo has a small, small, small hamstring. He will be out for one week. He will not make Man United but he might make Chelsea.

“However Emmanuel Eboue and Alex Song have been in this morning. Eboue has been running outside. They are both in good shape. Tired but in good shape. Both of them are available for Sunday.

“Unfortunately Abou will not be back this weekend but he could be for Chelsea.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 1-3 Manchester United

Sunday, January 31, 2010, 16:00

* Vermaelen 80

* Almunia 33 (og),
* Rooney 37,
* Park 53

Arsenal suffered a major blow to their title hopes by losing 3-1 to Manchester United at Emirates Stadium on Sunday.

Arsène Wenger's side were undone in the first half when Manuel Almunia touched home a cross from Nani then Wayne Rooney grabbed another on the break eight minutes from half-time.

Any chance of a revival seemed to be extinguished when Ji-Sung Park sprinted clear and slotted home in the 52nd minute.

Thomas Vermaelen's strike hinted at some sort of comeback with 10 minutes remaining however Arsenal could muster no more.

This defeat leaves Wenger's men five points adrift of leaders Chelsea and four behind their conquerors this afternoon. With over a third of the season to go that gap is still very catchable however Arsenal have only taken one point from the opening two fixtures in their ‘awesome foursome' and that is a concern.

Still Manchester United did not win the title last year because they bested the Big Four. Maybe Arsenal can do the same thing.

A win at Chelsea next Sunday will do much to repair the damage to Wenger's side this afternoon. Right now it may seem fanciful but it is no more than they got last season.

Defeat, however, may leave an unbridgeable divide between Arsenal and the top two.

The pre-match team-sheet was a matter of major concern for the home supporters. At Villa on Wednesday, Thomas Vermaelen had hobbled off in the first half. In his post-match press conference that night, Wenger had said, best case, it could be nothing to worry about but, worst case, it was a broken leg. It turned out to be the former but his involvement in this game was still a massive doubt. In the end he played and his potential deputy, Sol Campbell, did not make the bench.

There was also a question mark over Alex Song. The midfielder was not injured. The issue was fatigue after the rigours of the Africa Cup of Nations. He too started while Emmanuel Eboue, who had been on duty with the Ivory Coast at the same tournament, was named as a substitute. Aaron Ramsey dropped to the bench to accommodate Song. Samir Nasri, the two-goal hero in this fixture last season, replaced the injured Eduardo.

Of course, Arsenal v Manchester United is not capable of being a mundane affair. Games between the two sides had maybe lost some meaning in title terms over recent years however the importance of this one was undisputable. Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea had all led the Premier League in the past 10 days. This was a proper three-horse race and Wenger's men would be facing the other two in the next eight days.

The pre-match tension around Emirates Stadium suggested that everyone knew it was time to deliver.

Arsenal were the first to show. In the third minute, Wes Brown nodded the ball into the path of the scampering Arshavin on the left. He teased the Manchester United defence before curling a shot beyond the far post.

However the visitors already seemed to have an ominous quality about them today and they would create a couple of dangerous opportunities down the right in the minutes that followed.

In the eighth minute, Darren Fletcher raced forward on the overlap. His low cross went through Vermaelen and was inadvertently cleared by Wayne Rooney with William Gallas in close attendance.

A minute later they would create another chance in an identical position. After escaping Clichy, Nani found himself in acres of space on the right. He had time to look up before cutting the ball back. Once again it was played at pace across the face of goal. Only the intervention of Song stopped Michael Carrick slotting home at the far post.

Arsenal had yet to settle. But just before the quarter-hour, Arshavin was on the end of another lightning attack down the left. Again he cut inside Brown and went for curler towards the far post. It was inches wide.

The Russian was back in the central attacking role and appeared to be relishing it. He was certainly heavily involved. Midway through the half, Fabregas strode through the midfield, shrugged off Paul Scholes and fed Arshavin. Once again he fooled his marker only this time he miscued his effort horribly.

You thought Arsenal were gradually working their way into the game. But, in fact, the visitors would impose themselves once more.

Only a wonderful interception from Gallas prevented Paul Scholes going clear inside the area then Ji-Sung Park's cross was deflected into the path of Nani on the right of the area but the Portuguese midfielder drove wide.

The 23-year-old was having an eye-catching game and it was no surprise that he was behind the opening goal. He flicked the ball between Clichy and Nasri on the right-hand touchline then danced past Denilson to reach the byline once more. You can only assume that Nani was trying to reach a couple of players at the far post when he clipped the ball high over Almunia. The keeper tried to tip it over but only succeeded in diverting the ball into his own net.

The goal had been coming but Arsenal were still stung. Fabregas saw his drive diverted by a stray leg in a crowded area then Arshavin set up Gallas but his path was blocked. Manchester United pounced on the ball and spread it quickly to Nani on the right. He found Rooney scampering through the midfield and the England striker swept home his 20th Premier League goal of the campaign. Arsenal had been caught by the classic breakaway goal they'd put the patent on in the Wenger era.

The sliding Arshavin rifled a shot past the post shortly afterwards however, five minutes from the break Manchester United should have added a third. Rooney cut the ball back from the left-hand byline and Scholes helped it on to the unmarked Nani just inside the area. His drive was deflected past the far post by Vermaelen.

Song bundled through in injury time and drove a shot past the post. At the break, Arsenal needed an injection of composure, guile and steel.

But there would be no panacea.

In fact, seven minutes after the restart, Park made the home side feel even more sickly. Fletcher lofted the ball over the high line the Arsenal defence were holding and the Korean scampered through. Rooney was racing to join the attack and that drew Clichy's attention. The Frenchman was left covering both players and so Park toyed with the idea of a pass. However in the end the Manchester United midfielder went for it alone and fired low into the bottom left-hand corner.

It seemed to be the killer goal.

Arsenal did what they could to respond. Fabregas fired inches over and Song stretched Edwin van der Sar. The Cameroon international also cracked an effort just wide.

They were all worthy efforts but were all from distance. You sensed that, with a 3-0 goal advantage, Manchester United were happy to let Arsenal try their luck from that range.

On the hour, Wenger made an attacking substitution - Theo Walcott for Denilson. Ten minutes later, he threw on Bendtner and Eboue for Rosicky and Nasri.

The pattern was now set for the remainder of the game. Arsenal would have ample possession and press forward, Manchester United would soak up everything and take what they could on the break.

Sixteen minutes from they time, that tactic nearly saw them grab a fourth. Rooney went marauding across the halfway line and then sprinted clear as Eboue stumbled. Fortunately for Arsenal he dragged his shot wide.

The game seemed to be limping to a conclusion when Arsenal scored. With 11 minutes left, Fabregas fed a quick free-kick to Nasri on the left. His high, hanging cross was nodded out by Jonny Evans to Vermaelen just outside the area and the Belgian hooked home a shot via the leg of the Irishman.

Suddenly we had a game again. Fabregas floated over a corner and Walcott saw his header booted away by Evans.

Gallas should have set-up a grandstand finish but, in the dying seconds of normal time, he sent a backward header wide when he only had Van der Sar to beat.

However before that, Almunia's weak clearance nearly handed Nani the goal he deserved then, deep into injury time, Rooney slid a shot inches past the far post.

Emirates Stadium was understandably muted a full time, except for a pocket of travelling fans in the away end.

They had much to celebrate. Meanwhile Arsenal must simply steel themselves for next Sunday.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'We were poor offensively and defensively'

on an emphatic defeat...
It is difficult to take but easy to explain because we were poor offensively and defensively cohesion-wise. We delivered an off-the-mark performance completely and that is why we were well beaten today. We gave them always too much room, we were naive. I believe we have to stick together now, recover and produce a much better performance next Sunday [against Chelsea].

on why his team were 'off the mark'...
I don't know. Did we want it too much? Were we a bit inhibited and tense? I don't know. The physical reasons are not obvious because we finished the game quite well and we were unfortunate because we gave the third goal away. You could see we finished quite strong and had we come back to 2-1 earlier maybe we had a chance but at 3-1 it was too much.

on doing transfer business by the deadline...
We are not on any business before tomorrow evening.

on failing to handle Wayne Rooney...
I would say they had other players who gave us some problems, not only Wayne Rooney. We gave them too much room everywhere and afterwards Rooney takes advantage of it. We conceded two goals which were 'corner for us, goal for them' - two goals, the second and third. I believe it was much more with our positioning and the intelligence of our positioning that we were wrong.

on the context of the title race...
It is a massive blow and a massive disappointment. But we have to recover from that, that is part of top-level football.

on a possible lack of belief or commitment...
I believe we had no cohesion defensively or offensively. The players wanted to win, they are really down. This team has spirit, a good attitude mentally, and it is very difficult to say straight away after the game why we were not at all at our level. We were naive.

on whether it means they are not as strong as he thought...
You always have to answer these sorts of questions [after a defeat]. Man United, in the last six away games against a top-four team, they got one point. Today is the first game in seven they won away from home against a top-four team. You could have said before that they were naive but they are not. They were better than us today for two reasons: one, they played well and two, we were not at our level. Why? It is too early to analyse that. I believe there are some mental reasons in there but it is difficult to say.

on next Sunday's game at Chelsea...
We have to focus on delivering a completely different performance because today we were never close in our marking and you do not win big games like that.

on whether the result was linked to the FA Cup defeat...
No, not at all. I would not like to go into individual analysis but some players did not play at all last Sunday and they were not at their best today.

on bouncing back like they did after the 3-0 Chelsea defeat...
We need something special now to stay in the race, of course. I am conscious of that.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Chelsea 2-0 Arsenal

Barclays Premier League, Stamford Bridge

Sunday, February 07, 2010, 16:00

* Drogba 8, 23
Arsenal have it all to do in the title race.

Sunday's 2-0 defeat in West London leaves Arsène Wenger's side nine points adrift of the Stamford Bridge outfit with just 13 games left to play.

The Chelsea goals this afternoon came, as ever, from Didier Drogba. The Ivorian touched home John Terry's header as early as the eighth minute. Arsenal had significant pressure after that but, as against Manchester United seven days earlier, they conceded a crucial second on the break.

In the 23rd minute, Frank Lampard's ball found the galloping Drogba, who cut inside and thrashed a shot past Manuel Almunia. It was his 12th goal in his last 10 games against Arsenal.

At the time, it was hard on the visitors territorially but, this afternoon, a ruthless Chelsea punished Arsenal whenever they had the opportunity and, in Drogba, they have one of the best strikers in Europe.

Only the bar denied him a hat-trick when he fired in a free-kick 10 minutes from time.

Despite this result, no-one should discount Arsenal's aspirations just yet. That happened last time they lost to Chelsea at the end of November. But the assumption was entirely wrong.

This has been a rollercoaster of title race. Expect more ups and down before May.

Wenger's side showed two important changes from the one well beaten by Manchester United a week ago.

Fit-again Abou Diaby replaced Denilson in central midfield while Theo Walcott began on the right of the attacking trio instead of Tomas Rosicky. It was only the fourth Premier League start of the season for the England international.

Apart from Michael Essien and Jose Bosingwa, Chelsea had all their major names available.

This was a huge afternoon for Arsenal. Despite the hype, their awesome foursome of fixtures did not have to define their season - but unfortunately it seemed that it might.

The goalless draw at Villa 10 days ago had been worthy enough but the 3-1 defeat to Manchester United last Sunday had been comprehensive. It poured pressure on today, the hardest fixture of the quartet. With ever-improving Liverpool due at Emirates Stadium, Arsenal certainly needed a massive improvement from their display seven days earlier.

In fairness, they started well enough. As early as the fourth minute Bacary Sagna clipped a cross to Fabregas in the D. He fed Nasri and the Frenchman fired wide from the left of the area.

Until their opening goal, Chelsea had only caused Arsenal minor scares. But the strike would prove to be a telling moment.

Gael Clichy bumped Anelka on the right and Drogba fired in the free kick. Walcott nodded it behind for a corner that Florent Malouda floated to Terry. The Chelsea captain rose highest and powered a header toward the far post where Drogba touched home.

Despite the goal, the visitors went on to enjoy the lion's share of possession and territory. They won a succession of corners and, in the 16th minute, should have equalised. Fabregas found space on the right and floated an angled pass to Arshavin. The Russian met the ball with a powerful, sidefoot volley from eight yards. It was too close to Cech, who kicked the ball away.

Arsenal were playing well. Their tails were up and they fancied the job.

Then they got caught on the break.

Lampard carried the ball clear from another Arsenal attack. Drogba latched on to his pass and roared up the right. He cut inside Clichy and Vermaelen before thumping home from eight yards out. It was a great finish but, on the balance of play, it was a stolen goal.

In response, Fabregas fired wide after another promising move but by now Chelsea's cushion was making them more expansive. Ashley Cole burst through into the area only to be bundled off the ball by the backtracking Walcott.

Until the break, Arsenal soldiered on but, as ever, Chelsea's defending was excellent. Throughout the first half, the visitors had got in promising positions but only once had they truly tested Cech.

Wenger's men had been losing at the interval in this fixture last season but came back to win. They attempted a repeat job straight away when Diaby cracked an effort wide and just before the hour Nasri burst through only to be denied by Ashley Cole on the edge of the area. However, in between, those efforts Drogba set up Malouda to drive narrowly wide.

Once again, Arsenal were cranking up the pressure and penning back Chelsea. Wenger added to that anxiety by withdrawing Walcott and bringing on Nicklas Bendtner. As a result, Arshavin dropped to the left and Nasri went right.

Almost immediately after coming on, the Dane was clipped by Ricardo Carvalho just outside the area. Fabregas fired in a low free-kick that went through the wall but was beaten away by Cech. An excellent save given the keeper would have seen the ball only after it had emerged through a thicket of legs in a crowded area.

Then Wenger threw on Rosicky and Eboue for Diaby and Sagna. But by now Chelsea seemed comfortable with their cushion once more.

Ten minutes from time, Drogba cracked a free-kick against the bar from 25 yards and then Anelka hacked a shot high.

It was an indication that Arsenal's challenge had wained. At the whistle, the visitors could only lament what might have been had they taken their chances... and Chelsea had been less lethal.

Wenger's side are not out of the title race but their ascent must now be super steep.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Clichy - We must dig in to revive title bid

Gael Clichy has urged Arsenal to "dig in" as they look to resurrect their title challenge in the wake of Sunday's loss at Chelsea.

A first-half brace from Didier Drogba condemned Arsène Wenger's side to a second successive defeat, leaving them nine points adrift of Chelsea in the Premier League and seven behind last weekend's conquerors, Manchester United.

With 13 games remaining Arsenal have the proverbial mountain to climb if they are to bring the title back to North London. However, they bridged an 11-point gap at the top of the table after losing to Chelsea in November and Clichy believes that hard work and a bit more fortune can help Arsenal bounce back again.

"It is even more complicated now to win the league but we have to keep fighting until the end," he said.

"We have seen since the start of the season, everyone can drop points against anyone. Of course, it would have been better to win [on Sunday] and against Man United but that is the way it is. We have to keep going. We need to be more decisive in the right moments and the best thing to do is to carry on fighting.

"The rule in sport is when you want to be the best, after every defeat you have to ask the right questions to yourself and the team. You have to go again and dig in. That is what we are going to start doing again in training because it is only with hard work and a bit of luck that things can happen. Maybe then we can go somewhere."

A glance at the fixture list does offer a few crumbs of comfort for Arsenal. Chelsea and United both have the rest of the top seven to face before the end of the season - including each other - while the Gunners have, on paper at least, an easier run-in.

The ingredients are in place for another long winning run for Wenger's team but Clichy refuses to look beyond the next fixture - another tough one at home to Liverpool on Wednesday.

"We don’t have to look for a long run - we have to think game after game and it starts with Liverpool," said the left-back. "We have to think one game at a time but the less we lose, the better it will be.

"It is not going to be easy but it is not finished. We were 11 points behind and came back so we have to hope they [Chelsea and United] drop points and make sure we don’t drop any points. Let’s work on it, next we play against a good side in Liverpool. It is going to be difficult but we have to do it because if we want to be the best we have to compete."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool

Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 19:45

* Diaby 72

Despite rumours to the contrary, there is life in Arsenal’s Premier League season.

Defeats to Manchester United and Chelsea in eight days left Arsène Wenger’s side playing catch-up before a crucial game with in-form Liverpool this evening.

While never at their best, a resilient Arsenal rolled up their sleeves and responded with a rejuvenating win.

The only goal came 18 minutes from time when Tomas Rosicky’s inviting cross was RSVP’d by Abou Diaby’s header at the far post.

By way of celebration, half the Arsenal side piled on top of the Frenchman.

It was relief to the power of 10.

This was Wenger’s 300th Premier League win and the 450th of his Arsenal career. But the only stat to manager cares less about is the distance between his team and top spot.

Chelsea’s defeat at Everton and Manchester United’s draw at Aston Villa mean that gap is down to six points. Meanwhile Arsenal have now opened an eight-point divide between themselves and Liverpool in fourth.

This result can not make up for the disappointments of the past two Sundays but it does suggest Wenger’s optimism has credence.

It seems we have a three-horse title race once again.

Wenger made a couple of changes from the side beaten at Stamford Bridge on Sunday. Bendtner started his first game since limping off against Tottenham on October 31. The Dane was the focal point of the attack so Andrey Arshavin dropped to the left flank. Meanwhile Emmanuel Eboue was back in the starting XI for the first time since December 19. The Ivorian had come off the bench in the defeats against Manchester United and Chelsea. Before that, he had been in Ghana for the Africa Cup of Nations. As a result of those inclusions, Theo Walcott and Bacary Sagna dropped to the bench.

In the early stages, the atmosphere off the pitch was indicative of results on it. The travelling fans were in full voice, the home supporters were relatively muted. Arsenal’s season had been shaken by those two successive defeats while Liverpool were unbeaten in their last seven Premier League games.

Neither side could afford defeat and that anxiety affected the opening quarter.

The opening minutes were lively enough however with the two sides exchanging half-chances from right wing free-kicks. First Steven Gerrard’s ball ricocheted off Bacary Sagna and Manuel Almunia had to make a flying interception then, at the other end, William Gallas nodded over from a fine delivery from Cesc Fabregas.

After that the game fell into a malaise. Arsenal had enough of the ball but perhaps there was a nagging fear of conceding on the break as they had against Chelsea and Manchester United. Certainly they were more reticent to go forward.

The chance that broke down the mental barrier came in the 20th minute. The stumbling Arshavin sent Bendtner clear on the right of the area. The Dane had a glimpse of goal but slashed his shot over the bar. Soon afterwards Nasri saw a goal-bound effort charged down for Pepe Reina flapped at a cross and Arshavin blazed over.

At the other end, Maxi Rodriguez latched on to a loose ball on the edge of the area and cracked his effort high.

The flurry of chances did not last. It did not help that Wenger was forced to make a change just after the half-hour. Nasri had gone to ground for no reason early on and immediately Rosicky was sent out to warm up. Eventually the French midfielder acceded to his injury.

To be honest, that was about it for the opening half. Arsenal were far from fluent and, on a freezing North London night, the first 45 minutes never got above lukewarm.

However the opening seconds of the second period would promise much more. In fact the first 15 minutes were pretty much end-to-end.

Arshavin reached the byline early on but blasted his shot high into the sidenetting. Lucas Leiva nearly found an immediate response however his fierce shot flew inches over the bar.

The chances were starting to come now yet nerves still seemed to be affecting both sides this evening. David N’gog raced clear on to Gerrard’s chip through. The Frenchman had a yard on Clichy and Gallas but the latter produced a wonderfully-timed challenge to slid the ball away at the crucial moment. Such interventions are fast becoming a trademark this season for Gallas.

Seconds later, Rosicky went clear on the left for an instant but his touch was too heavy and, just before the hour, the galloping Bendtner tried to steer home a shot only for Reina to block with his legs.

All of a sudden it seemed a game of football seemed to have broken out.

Bendtner went down under Daniel Agger’s challenge but referee Howard Webb booked the Dane for simulation. A couple of minutes later the striker laid the ball back for Rosicky to crack a drive inches over the bar.

This game was now an entirely different animal. The tension of the first half remained but invention had been added. Neither side were functioning at their best but Arsenal had the edge.

Walcott substituted Arshavin with 23 minutes left. Wenger had now replaced two of his front men and the only one remaining who was struggling for fitness.

It seemed that Bendtner would have to soldier on this evening.

And he did.

In the 72nd minute, the 22-year-old found himself surrounded and under pressure in the area but retained the presence of mind to feed a clever ball to Rosicky on the right. The Czech midfielder had time to pick his target. His chose Diaby at the far post. The Frenchman eluded his marker to power home a header. It was his seventh goal of the season and undoubtedly the most important.

In the wake of the goal, Liverpool finally threw off their shackles. They piled forward but there were only two heart-in-mouth moments before injury time – when Gerrard went down in the box and when substitute Ryan Babel slipped his marker before firing goalwards from 25 yards.

It was a dipping, swerving, curling effort but Almunia touched it on to the bar. A pivotal save.

The second half had been dramatic enough but there was one more twist.

In the dying embers of injury time Gerrard somehow won at free-kick five yards outside the area. Fabregas was booked for protesting the decision and then the Englishman’s effort hit the Spaniard’s outstretched hand as he jumped in the wall.

Liverpool complained when the whistle blew seconds later but no one could dispute the character of this victory tonight.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger: 'A little goal made a massive result'

on a vital win...
Yes, it was a very difficult game because we played against an organised Liverpool team. It was a very tight game as well but in the end we turned it in our favour because we were resilient. We have shown good togetherness, good discipline as well, and then we got that little goal which makes a massive result for us tonight. Nobody realises what it is to play Man United, Chelsea and Liverpool on the trot. Physically and mentally it is very demanding, especially with two massive disappointments. It shows the team is solid, mentally strong and determined.

on the nature of the game...
I think it was a highly tactical game against a Liverpool team that didn't give us any space to play. We found it difficult to get our passing going because they were always in our way. We needed to be patient and not make a defensive mistake. They had one or two chances as well but in the end we got that goal. When you have the two results we had before [against Man United and Chelsea] the most important thing is to win the game.

on challenging for the title...
Let's be consistent and try to win our next game. I believe we will fight until the last second of the season and we did that tonight. That's what we want to continue to do. We believe we have a chance and you could see again that Chelsea lost tonight, Man United dropped points, so it is open for everybody. Everybody can drop points everywhere.

on his belief in their title chances...
I don't see any mathematical reason why we shouldn't believe. It can change quickly but for us it is more important for us to focus on winning our next game than speaking about the title because we had a big shock in our last two games. It was important to recover and come back with a win.

on the substitutions of Arshavin and Nasri...
Arshavin has a hamstring problem and Nasri had a knock on his head. He felt unwell and I didn't want to take a chance because it was his head. That's why I took him off. He wanted to stay on but he felt sick so I didn't want to take a chance. We have to make a scan on Arshavin tomorrow.

on a controversial final minute...
It was a controversial situation. I felt the free-kick against us was harsh because Gerrard I don't think deserved the free-kick he got. Afterwards maybe Cesc touched the ball with his hand but you could argue that there shouldn't have been a free-kick.

on accusations that Gerrard dived to win a penalty...
I leave that controversial side to you [the reporters]. I am sure you can make something out of it but do it without me.

on Nicklas Bendtner's booking for a dive...
Frankly from outside it didn't look like that. I have been told that [it was] but I thought first of all the referee had given a penalty; unfortunately he gave us a yellow card. He [Bendtner] will be upset but I have to check the video. It is very difficult to say if he has been touched.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
FC Porto 2-1 Arsenal

UEFA Champions League, Estadio do Dragao

Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 19:45

* Fabianski 11 (og),
* Falcao 51

* Campbell 18

Arsenal went down 2-1 at Porto in controversial fashion on Wednesday night.

They trailed after just 11 minutes of this Champions League Knockout Round first leg when keeper Lukasz Fabianski fumbled Silvestre Valera's cross over his own line.

However they got back on level terms almost immediately when Sol Campbell, playing his first Champions League game since the 2006 Final, nodded in from close range.

It had been an open, nerve-jangling first half but the visitors seemed set to take over after the break. They would probably have led if Tomas Rosicky's strong claims for a penalty had been heard.

In the end the result swung on the events of the 51st minute. That is when Fabianski was ruled to have picked up Campbell's back pass and Falcao scored from a quickly-taken free-kick. Arsenal, and particularly Arsène Wenger, complained loudly that the referee should not have allowed play to restart that swiftly.

Right or wrong, that decision will be the lasting memory of this game.

Of course, Wenger's side can all but erase it if they secure safe passage to the last eight with a stereotypical "1-0 to the Arsenal".

That is all they have to do.

Their fate will be in their own hands on March 9 even if it did not always seem that way this evening.

Wenger's team selection had been hemmed in by a run of injuries in the build up to this game. From the team that had won 1-0 against Liverpool a week earlier, Manuel Almunia (finger), William Gallas (calf), Andrey Arshavin (hamstring) and Alex Song (knee) all dropped out.

Meanwhile a lingering hamstring problem meant Eduardo did not make his anticipated return.

The upshot of all this was that Campbell made only his second start since return to the Club. Fabianski and Denilson return to their familiar roles while Samir Nasri and Tomas Rosicky flanked the spearhead striker, Nicklas Bendtner.

Arsenal arrived with troubled memories of Estadio do Dragao. In 2006 they had limped through their group with a goalless draw on Matchday Six. Last season, they had been beaten 2-0 in a meaningless rubber.

Since then Porto had continued their policy of summer sales. Their team this evening had important differences but then, given their injuries, Arsenal were much-changed too.
In the circumstances, everyone expected a cautious, cagey affair.

Everyone was wrong.

In the opening exchanges, Arsenal might have conceded twice. They recovered slightly then did go behind in the 11th minute.

It started in the third minute. Falcao motored past Campbell on the left but the Englishman recovered to slide the ball from under the Columbian's feet as he was about to shoot.

It fell to Ruben Michel just outside the area. He got away a fierce shot but by that time Thomas Vermaelen had recovered his position. The Belgian made a crucial block.

Worse was to come. Seconds later Valera stormed down the right and his deflected cross fell to Hulk, who dragged a shot inches past the far post.

Arsenal were away from home, understrength and under pressure. They needed a release.

Nasri did his best to provide it. In the fifth minute he cut through the Porto defence and fed Fabregas eight yards out only for Bruno Alves to prod the ball behind at the vital moment. Seconds later the Frenchman toe-poked an effort forward but Helton held on.

It seemed that Arsenal had come through unscathed after an early assault.

However they then conceded a self-inflicted goal.

Once again Valera attacked down the Porto right. The 23-year-old skipped past his marker and, once again, had time to pick out his target.

Fabianski moved out to anticipate a ball into the heart of the area. But, intended or not, Valera's cross was fired directly across the goal just two yards out. It meant Fabianski had to dive back from where he had just come and attempt to shovel the ball away. Unfortunately the Polish international could only fumble the ball over the line. A horrible-looking goal to concede.

In fairness, Arsenal's recovered almost immediately.

Bendtner whistled a deflected shot inches wide of the angle in the 16th minute. Fabregas raced over to take the corner. The captain was clearly in an urgent mood this evening.

His kick was flicked on by Vermaelen to Rosicky at the far post. The Czech midfielder nodded the ball back into the danger area and Campbell headed home from three yards out.

It was an enormous goal. Away goals in Europe always are but this one settled Arsenal after the shakiest of starts.

Rosicky's rasping cross-shot forced Helton into a full-length save a couple of minutes later. Clearly the visitors now fancied the job.

Fabianski redeemed himself somewhat by pawing away a shot from Micael and then clutching a high, hanging free-kick in the midst of a crowded area.

The liberty of opening half-hour had now been shackled. It was still a decent, attacking game but the opening stages had been reminiscent of the last 10 minutes of an FA Cup replay not the start of a crucial two-legged Champions League tie.

In the 35th minute, Fabregas floated over a free-kick and Bendtner's back header forced the backtracking Helton to tip the ball over the bar. It had been a hell of a half but Arsenal finished it in the ascendancy.

The second period started the same way, Bendtner hacked over the bar and then Rosicky had strong claims for a penalty after Varela chopped him down on the right of the area.

But once again Arsenal undid their own good work. In the 51st minute, Fabianski was adjudged to have picked up a backpass from Campbell and Porto were awarded a free-kick just inside the area. The referee demanded the keeper return the ball immediately and, with Arsenal undermanned and ill-prepared, the kick was squared to Falcao who gleefully tapped home.

It was a highly controversial goal. The key was whether the referee had indicated the kick could be taken quickly. Wenger certainly felt that had not happened and the manager was ticked off by the official before play restarted.

Arsenal were on their uppers again. Hulk and then Raul Meireles forced fine low saves from Fabianski.

But they had steadied themselves somewhat by the time Theo Walcott replaced Rosicky in the 68th minute.

Arsenal were now finding space on the flanks and asking questions of the Porto defence. But buoyed by a belligerent crowd, the home side stood firm.

Eboue replaced Nasri for the final stages and in the last minute his cross so nearly found the unmarked Fabregas five yards.

That was that type of night for Arsenal. The little things did not quite go for them.

And, of course, one very, very big moment had gone utterly against them.

Seite 38 von 41 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 41

Moderated by  toubi 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Winamax VfB Stuttgart
Winamax VfB Stuttgart VIP Tickets Gewinnspiel
Gewinnspiele
500 € Tippspiel EUROPA-Torschützen.
von pik7 - 01/05/2024 19:04
UMFRAGE EM-Torschützen Cup
von malik - 30/04/2024 18:47
550 € DFB-Pokal Torschützencup 23/24
von pik7 - 05/04/2024 20:19
Betano - Welcome
Wer ist jetzt online
16 members (Bambi, dragoon, Flip160, BjoernT4Y, kafi112, AllesSuper, Haiefan, Hackentrick, grottenoli, caro), 2,480 Gäste, und 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Poster(30 Tage)
Haiefan 121
pik7 80
toubi 45
Forum Statistiken
Forum25
Themen1,444
Beiträge121,583
Mitglieder3,865
Am meisten online8,723
Feb 16th, 2016
Mai
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Spielen mit Verantwortung - Responsible Gaming
Wetten Sie nicht über ihre Verhältnisse.

Wenn Sie oder jemanden, den Sie kennen, ein Problem mit Spielsucht hat, raten wir Ihnen, dass Sie Hilfe von einer dieser anerkannten Organisationen in Betracht ziehen:

18+ Glücksspiel kann süchtig machen - Hilfe finden Sie auf www.bzga.de

Gamblers Anonymous
Webseite www.gamblersanonymous.org

Gambling Therapy
Webseite www.gamblingtherapy.org

Weiterführende Links finden Sie auch außerdem weiter unten bei unseren Partnerseiten.

Unsere Partner & Links:
Bundesliga Tippspiel - Forum Gluecksspielsucht - gamCare - begambleaware - Wettbonus - Wettbasis - Flashscore
DATENSCHUTZ
IMPRESSUM