bet365
NeoBet Profi
NeoBet Profi
ShoutChat
Kommentarrichtlinien: Posten Sie respektvolle und aufschlussreiche Kommentare. Kein Flamen, Hassen, Spam.
Neuste Mitglieder
Fancy_Franzi, Gamera, danny, gRuBer, Sport
3,864 Registrierte Mitglieder
bwin - Sportwetten Bonus
Bookie-News
Geburtstage heute
Es gibt keine Mitglieder mit Geburtstagen an diesem Tag.
Vorheriger Thread
Nächster Thread
Thread drucken
Bewertung: 5
Seite 39 von 41 1 2 37 38 39 40 41
Beigetreten: Dec 2007
braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Stoke City 1-3 Arsenal

Barclays Premier League, Britannia Stadium

Saturday, February 27, 2010, 17:30

* Pugh 8

* Bendtner 32,
* Fabregas 90 (pen),
* Vermaelen 90

Arsenal moved within three points of leaders Chelsea with a sensational 3-1 comeback at Stoke on Saturday.

However in the process Aaron Ramsey picked up a nasty-looking injury.

The visitors began the afternoon in familiar fashion. Rory Delap fired across a ninth-minute throw-in and Danny Pugh steered home a header at the far post.

It was the third successive time they had conceded via the Irishman's unique talents in the early stages at the Britannia Stadium.

This time, however, Arsenal's response was magnificent. They fought their way back into the game and then imposed their football.

Nicklas Bendtner guided home a header to equalise just after the half-hour. The visitors continued to dominate for the remainder of the half and the start of the second.

They seemed set to take over when in the 65th minute Ryan Shawcross flew into a tackle with Ramsey. The Welshman was stretchered off, the Englishman sent off.

Wenger later described the injury as a "bad fracture'. The whole situation was worryingly reminiscent of Eduardo's injury at Birmingham two seasons ago.

The incident threatened to stifle Arsenal's revival. They came into the game with a chance of making up significant ground following Manchester City's win at Stamford Bridge earlier in the day.

In the final minute, Pugh handled Alex Song's through-ball and Fabregas kept a cool head to slot home the penalty. In injury time, Thomas Vermaelen stumbled home a third from a few feet out.

It was the cue for intense, emotional celebrations from visiting fans.

Arsenal won three key points this afternoon but, at the same time, they have lost an important talent in their increasingly realistic title bid.

By kick-off, Chelsea's defeat at home to Manchester City had been fully digested. The Stamford Bridge encounter was a lunchtime affair while this one began in the early evening. The sound of opportunity knocking must have reached the Arsenal dressing room in the intervening time.

However, in a footballing sense, the Britannia Stadium is arguably the most inhospitable environment you could find in the Premier League.

Arsenal had been well-beaten twice on this ground in the past 14 months. Another defeat, especially in such opportunistic circumstances, would severely dent their title hopes. But of course, victory would do exactly the opposite.

With William Gallas (calf) still out, Wenger swapped Mikael Silvestre for Sol Campbell at centre half. Bacary Sagna returned at right back so Emmanuel Eboue moved forward. Theo Walcott dropped to the bench.

Each of Arsenal's recent defeats had been set up by early goals from Delap throw-ins. The issue had been much-discussed in the build-up to this game but, despite that, Arsenal were caught out in replica fashion after only nine minutes.

This time, the Irishman's Exocet was nodded on by Shawcross at the near post and Pugh arrived unmarked at the far post to steer home a stooping header.

It was an all too familiar tale.

Chances were scarce in the following 15 minutes, every Delap throw-in was greeted with cheers by the home crowd and trepidation by the Arsenal defence. However from then on they always muddled the ball out and kept Stoke to one blocked effort from Ricardo Fuller
Arsenal seemed intimidated and needed time to gather themselves.

In the 25th minute, Fabregas tried his luck from range and a hesitant Thomas Sorensen batted the ball around his right-hand post. A couple of corners later the Spaniard nearly floated an effort towards the top corner with the keeper worried.

It seemed that Arsenal had finally found their feet and, more importantly, their passing game. But that had only come about by matching Stoke's strength.

Gael Clichy and Vermaelen had physically rolled up their sleeves on a bitterly cold Staffordshire night. The rest of the team had done the same thing mentally.

The visitors began to pepper the Stoke penalty area. The home side coped with most of them but the persistent pressure gradually drew them into their shell.

An exquisite Arsenal goal only helped that process.

Fabregas floated in a cross from the right flank for Bendtner, who kept both his balance and his wits about him to guide a gorgeous header back past Sorensen.

The visitors were vibrant. Eboue, Ramsey and Fabregas continued to play purposeful patterns just outside the home penalty. Only a stray Stoke leg or, in fairness, well-timed tackle prevented Arsenal taking their lead.

Fabregas fired a free-kick into the wall five minutes before half time. It was a poor return for all their dominance after the equaliser but it was more than Stoke had mounted.

When the half-time whistle blew, Arsenal were in the ascendancy.

The trend continued after the break with Ramsey having a half-shout for a penalty in the opening minutes when he tumbled under challenge from Abdoulaye Faye.

As the hour approached, Arsenal were still pinning Stoke back into their own area.

In the 58th minute, Eboue fired in a rocked-fuelled effort from 25 yards and, yet again, Sorensen was somewhat unconvincing as he tipped the ball over the bar.

A couple of minutes later Song was booked. It was his 10th domestic caution of the season and means he will miss two games.

But much, much, much worse was to come.

In the 65th minute, Ramsey and Shawcross flew into a challenge. The Welshman was left crumpled in a heap and received immediate medical attention. The Stoke defender was shown a straight red card. The Arsenal players were distraught, particularly Vermaelen. It was a horrid echo of Eduardo's broken leg at Birmingham two seasons ago.

Rosicky replaced Ramsey and the game got underway again. However the atmosphere was flat.
Wenger brought on Walcott and Eduardo. The latter should have scored with three minutes left. Song scooped a pass forward and the Croatian lashed a shot wide from eight yards out. Given Ramsey's injury, the goal would have been ironic and important in equal measure.

However Arsenal were now beating on Stoke's back door. They got their chance to break through with 50 seconds of normal time remaining. Bendtner tried to clip the ball through but it hit Pugh's outstretched hand.

Fabregas had missed against Stoke in the match against Emirates Stadium. This time he fired low to Sorensen's left. The keeper guessed rightly but the ball found the corner. It was the Spaniard's 16th goal of the campaign.

The captain raced to the away fans and roared his celebration. They responded in kind.

A couple of minutes later, there was a repeat performance when Sorensen spilled a shot and Fabregas turned the ball back for Vermaelen to, almost unknowingly, stab the ball home from close range.

This was a magnificent, potentially, season-changing win. But it had come at a heavy price.

Quelle: arsenal.com

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'Ramsey's injury means I cannot enjoy win'

On the title race...
"We were in it before the game and mathematically we got closer to Chelsea today because they dropped points. It strengthens our belief and our determination. We will fight until the last game of the season."

On Aaron Ramsey's injury...
"I would like to say that it was a committed game. I didn't see many bad tackles in the game. But this one was horrendous and I am very sad. I am proud of my team today and sad as well because to lose a player of that quality at 19 years of age when he is just starting his career is just horrendous. It is difficult to accept.

"He is the third player we have lost to tackles that are not acceptable - Abou Diaby, Eduardo and now Ramsey today. That is not football for me and I refuse to live with that.

"I cannot do anything about it. The players are professional they have to respect the rules and each other. The players who don't do it have to be punished. Ramsey is a young, fantastic talent."

On Ryan Shawcross' punishment...
"A three-match ban is just ridiculous. But I would prefer to give my support to Ramsey rather than to play the judge. For a boy of 19 with his talent to be kicked out of the game like that is beyond words. I cannot even enjoy the win tonight because it is so sad to see that."

On the reaction of his team-mates...
"The players were shocked. You could see that they moved away from him. For five minutes, we did not go anywhere because we did not play. After that we got back into the game."

On the injury itself...
"It is a bad fracture. He will be transferred to London tonight to see if he needs emergency surgery. He will be out for a long time."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Official statement - Aaron Ramsey's injury

On Sunday, Arsenal Football Club released the following statement:

“During yesterday’s match against Stoke City, Aaron Ramsey sustained fractures to the tibia and fibula in his right leg. Yesterday evening he underwent surgery.

"The operation successfully reduced the fractures and whilst it is too soon to state an exact timescale for recovery, Aaron will certainly miss the remainder of this season. Our thoughts are with Aaron at this time and everyone at the Club wishes him all the best in making as speedy a return to action as possible.”

Wahnsinn... wieder eine solche Verletzung... unglaublich...

Beigetreten: May 2009
Wettspezi
Wettspezi
Beigetreten: May 2009
Ja ist leider wahr.

Arsene hat sich ja sehr kritisch geäußert, dass das ganz wohl mit Zufall nichts mehr zu tun haben kann, da es die 3. Verletzung eines Arsenal-Spielers war innerhalb von 4 Jahren nach einem brutalen Foul.

2006 Diaby
2008 Eduardo
und jetzt Ramsey

UNGLAUBLICH

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Dies hat natürlich damit zu tun dass sich vermeintlich kleinere Mannschaften oft über den Kampf ins Spiel bringen versuchen.
Dies ist natürlich auch gegen die anderen "Großen" so.
Doch durch das Kurzpassspiel dass Arsenal zelebriert kommt es oft zu Schnittbällen die natürlich immer eine gewisse Gefahr mit sich bringen.
Aber man muss sich die Frage stellen was man dagegen tun kann.
Dass in England körperbetonter als in anderen Ligen gespielt werden "darf" ist bekannt.
Dies würde ich auch nie ändern wollen, da ich denke dass dies mitunter ein Grund für die Attraktivität ist.
Ich denke man muss einfach riguroser durchgreifen wenn ein Spieler ohen Rücksicht auf Verluste tacklet... egal ob er seinen Gegenspielr trifft oder nicht. Denn auch solche Attacken sieht man meiner Meinung nach öfter in England als in anderen Ligen. Und dann muss man eben auch mal einen Spieler für mehrere Spiele sperren auch wenn er am Mann vorbeigerutscht ist. Denke nur so wird man dieses Problem vielleicht in den Griff bekommen...

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Ramsey gets 50,000 messages in three days

More than 50,000 messages of support for Aaron Ramsey have been sent via Arsenal.com in just three days.

The midfielder's season ended on Saturday when he fractured his tibia and fibula during Arsenal's 3-1 win at Stoke. Aaron had surgery that evening and is expected to be sidelined for some time.

We asked supporters to contribute messages of support for the 19-year-old and the response has been incredible. Thank you to everyone who has been in touch.

We will put a selection of the fans' tributes into a specially-bound book and present it to Aaron. And over the next few days we'll be publishing some of your messages on Arsenal.com too.

Scroll down to see if your message is below and check back later for more:

Get better, feel better because the wishes and prayers of all Gooners are behind you. Good luck! I am sure you will come back better and stronger
Nannan, Detroit Michigan

In the name of God you are already well and all Arsenal fans say AMEN. I wish you a speedy recovery. I'll miss you on the field
Naya, Ghana

Wishing you all the best Aaron for a full and speedy recovery. All the best for the future.
Joshua Humphries, Crawley, West Sussex

Never stop believing in yourself and always keep up your fighting spirit on the way back, We all believe in you and you will come back stronger than ever!.Thoughts from Sweden
Richard Lantz, Sweden

I'm a chartered physio at Bristol City and we had a young lad with an injury almost identical to your own. His injury was in last week of September 2009. He will be back full time training within the month. All the best, keep your head up, you'll be back and stronger!
Lloyd Nicolson, Bristol

All my thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery and I'm looking forward to seeing you boss the midfield battles in future Premiership games for Arsenal for many years to come.
Ryan Jones, Milton Keynes

Get well soon Aaron hope you’re up and playing soon. Wales need you!
Owen James, Cardiff

You have youth on your side Aaron and a wonderful club and manager backing you and I am sure a family who will take care of your every need. There can be only one result - get well soon lad.
Susanne, St. Andrews, Scotland

From a Bradford fan hoping your recovery goes well. Such an exciting prospect and emerging talent. Looking forward to seeing you on the pitch again soon!
Mark, Sheffield

Dear Aaron, hope you get well soon, you are a star in the making and hopefully this will be just a small bump in your career. Hope this will make you feel better. Good luck and get well soon.
Bakry, Beirut, Lebanon

My pal did the same as you when he was 40 and he was back within a year.
Terry Martin, Romford

Aaron, my five year old son has been to see you play at Emirates when I can get a ticket. He has cried today having seen the game on TV. We both are so sorry to see the injury and pain you were in. Please rest and we both will pray for your recovery, you are a very brave man. We both hope to see you make a good recovery and our thoughts every time we watch Arsenal will be with you and your family.
David and Oliver Lane, Kent

Good luck Aaron. Great achievements and trophies await for Arsenal in the coming years - all of us fans want you to be part of that. Work hard, dig deep and we'll see you next season.
Graham Simons, Finsbury Park

Aaron, as a Belgian Arsenal fan I wish you all the best of luck in your recovery! Hope you'll get better soon. You're still very young so you still have a fantastic future ahead of you at the Emirates! Take care.
Thijs, Antwerp, Belgium

Get well soon Aaron we all know you will be out on the pitch very soon! xx
Clare, London

So sorry for your injury Aaron. Here's hoping you're back soon. To the rest of the lads: come on bring the title home for Aaron
David, Reading

I know that before not so long you will be back to football like Eduardo. I wish you good health and good luck. From a fan from little village in Poland.
Raphael, Poland

I am really sorry for you at the moment. But you should make your mind free and think positively. Believe me you can recover in a short period with the help of God. I WISH A QUICK RECOVERY FOR YOU.
Aschalo, Ethiopia

Wishing you a quick Recovery. Let's win the Premier League for Ramsey and Eduardo!
Matovu John Baptist, Kampala, Uganda

Ramsey, be strong in your mind and spirit. Be positive and you'll be back in a short time. Much love to you.
Alexander Chuks, Port-Harcourt, Nigeria

Aaron I am so devasted about your injury, I can't imagine how you're feeling - I think you are incredibly brave. Stay strong and positive - you have so many people who care about you. I hope the lads win the title for you. With love and best wishes x
Ali Bickle, Bude, Cornwall

I really feel sorry for Aaron and wish him a quick recovery. May God help him in the rehabilitation process.
Theogene, Rwanda

Get well soon and keep Eduardo as your inspiration xx
Jenny Nye, Slough

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 3-1 Burnley

Barclays Premier League, Emirates Stadium

Saturday, March 06, 2010, 15:00

* Fabregas 34,
* Walcott 61,
* Arshavin 90

* Nugent 51

Theo Walcott scored the all-important goal as Arsenal beat Burnley 3-1 at Emirates Stadium on Saturday to draw level on points with Chelsea at the top of the Premier League table.

Cesc Fabregas fired the home side into a first-half lead but then hobbled off before the break. As a result his participation against Porto on Tuesday night may be in the balance.

However Arsenal kept their composure and should have seen off the Turf Moor team long before they equalised through David Nugent five minutes after half-time.

Walcott, who had come under fire for his England performance in midweek, gave the home side the lead 10 minutes later with a classy finish. Arsenal created a barrel-load of chances all afternoon but they only felt truly comfortable when substitute Andrey Arshavin fired home in injury time.

Like last week, this was a vital win tainted by an important injury.

However Arsenal's title bid remains on target.

It was almost a week since Aaron Ramsey had broken his leg but the issue was clearly still lodged deep in Arsenal hearts. The side came out with "Get Well Soon Aaron" on specially-made T-shirts meanwhile a banner in the crowd urged the players to "Do it for Rambo".

The absence of Ramsey and the suspension of Alex Song had created vacancies in midfield. The fit-again Denilson (calf) came in for the Cameroon international while Samir Nasri was moved into the centre to replace Ramsey. Tomas Rosicky returned on the left.

Sol Campbell (groin) was switched for Mikael Silvestre at centre half meanwhile there was rotation at right back with Bacary Sagna dropping out and Emmanuel Eboue dropping back. Walcott also came back into the side.

Before that furious fallout had drawn the all the back page headlines, Arsenal had actually won a vital football match last Saturday. The visit to Stoke was seen as one of the toughest of the remaining fixtures and Wenger's men had come through at the death.

A four-goal win would put Arsenal top at the final whistle today. But any kind of victory would do. The title race was entering its final quarter and Wenger's side had a strong a case as anyone.

They certainly started this game as if they meant business.
In the opening minutes, Fabregas prodded Bendtner clear. However the Dane was under pressure and his shot was deflected wide. From the corner resulting corner Rosicky drifted a volley just wide.

Although Clarke Carlisle's header tested Manuel Almunia in response, Arsenal's start had been as bright as the watery sunshine around Emirates Stadium this afternoon. And once again, Walcott was a livewire on the right.

In fact that flank was Arsenal's best outlet in the opening stages. After 14 minutes, Eboue's elaborate backheel allowed Fabregas to fire across the face of goal.

It seemed that the home side would take over but they didn't. In fact Burnley troubled Almunia a couple of times from distance through Daniel Fox and Martin Paterson.

The second of those efforts came after a long delay after Nasri collided with Burnley keeper Brian Jensen. The Frenchman would recover and, in the 34th minute, supply the opening goal.

Faced with the massed ranks of the Burnley defence, the former Marseilles man chipped through an expert pass for Fabregas to collect. The captain timed his run to perfection and volleyed home adroitly. The Spaniard's goal ratio is now better than one goal every two games this season.

It should have 2-0 a minute later. Fabregas slid a pass to Eboue who was overlapping on the right. He cut the ball back but the sliding Bendtner skewed the ball wide.

It would be the last contribution Fabregas made this afternoon. He pulled up shortly afterwards and was replaced by Abou Diaby. With Porto arriving on Tuesday for a knife-edge Champions League tie, Wenger will be a worried man during the next couple of days.

The loss effected Arsenal until the break but they were renewed after it. Again Walcott was the architect.
First he sent over a deep cross that an unmarked Bendtner nodded wide from eight yards out. Then the England man raced into space and fired inches over the bar.

Arsenal's second seemed to be minutes away so Burnley's equaliser was nothing short of a shock. The home side cleared a corner and Leon Cort's long, bouncing header somehow found Nugent in the area. The ex-England striker flicked a shot over Almunia and into the net. Except for a pocket of Burnley fans in one corner, Emirates was aghast.

Walcott was still Arsenal's best option and he did his best to remedy the situation. First he set up Bendtner then he tried himself only for Jensen to turn the ball wide.

On the hour, he finally found the net.

Bendtner nudged a pass to Walcott on the right. The 20-year-old cut inside Fox and fired a low, left-foot shot into the far corner. It might have been only his second goal of the season but the strike smacked of class.

Arsenal immediately went in search of another. They clearly did not want to be caught out once again.

Andrey Arshavin, who had replaced Rosicky, fired wide. Meanwhile Bendtner seemed to have embarked on his own individual crusade for a goal. The Dane was having a hit-and-miss afternoon but his tenacity was admirable.

He should have scored at the far post from Walcott's low cross but could only fire wide. Then he chased down is own mistake and eventually thumped a rising shot in the arms of Jensen.

When he was replaced by Eduardo with 15 minutes left, Bendtner got a rousing reception.

The Croatian should have killed the game with 12 minutes left but, from another Walcott cross, he nudged the ball beyond the far post.

The narrowness of the lead fired Burnley's optimism in the latter stages. They kept going and stretched the Arsenal defence at times, however Almunia was only troubled once.

In the dying minutes, Fox fired over the corner and the keeper's punch fell to Steven Thompson who fired over the bar. A massive opportunity.

Arsenal were still creating, and missing their own. Seconds later Arshavin sidefooted wide. In injury time, the Russian finally ended the argument with a low drive.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Theo will win over his critics

Arsène Wenger believes Theo Walcott can win over his critics by having a good World Cup for England.

The Arsenal manager has also suggested that negative comments about his recent performances will not affect the 20-year-old because he does not involve himself with what is being said in the press.

The striker's participation at this summer's World Cup had been questioned after Walcott struggled to impose himself during England's 3-1 victory over Egypt on Wednesday.

However, the 20-year-old scored the winner in Arsenal's 3-1 win over Burnley on Saturday and Wenger has backed his player to prove his critics wrong.

"I defend Theo because I believe he will be a great player," said Wenger. "Let him go to the World Cup and win you some games and the same people will say the opposite [to what they are saying now].

"I think he has the right distance with what people are saying about him. He did that very well when he was praised and he will do that again when people speak about him like that.

"I have heard so many opinions about so many players I could right a book just on opinions.

"I think he will be a great player."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Fabregas has a hamstring problem

On Cesc Fabregas' injury...
"He has a hamstring problem and we don't know how big the damage is yet because it is too early. We'll see tomorrow or Monday. We have to make a late decision over whether he plays on Tuesday, certainly. It is the same hamstring [he hurt against Aston Villa earlier in the season]."

On the nature of the game...
"It was closer than you and I expected but we had the chances to score plenty of goals. We didn't take our chances today and that's why I believe it was very tight until the end. It could have been four, five or six but as well they had a chance to make it 2-2 after a corner. In the end you are happy when you miss the chances we missed today but you get the three points.

On Arsenal's first goal...
"I believe the first goal was a great goal and after we created some magnificent chances in the way we created them, we just could not finish the game off. But the first ball from Nasri was fantastic, the finishing of Fabregas was class. We created plenty of chances today and Theo Walcott gave you the great response you waited for!

On if he asked Theo Walcott to be more assertive at half time...
"Yes, we were a bit minimalist in the first-half and in the second-half we came out with more purpose and put them under pressure. In the first-half we played a bit in between and did not push completely through. Football doesn't like that."

On Walcott's display...
"I think he does what a player has to do - not talk in the newspapers and let your performance talk on the pitch. He didn't answer any critics other than with a good performance today and that's what you want from a player. That shows he is mentally strong. I was interested to see how he would respond today. I was quite sure he would respond with a good performance but you never know, it affects you when you get criticised. The way he answered that at his age is remarkable."

On Nicklas Bendtner's missed chances...
"I believe at the surface he looks like 'okay, I missed the chances', but underneath he is really disappointed. Everybody has a different way to show his emotions, and he hides well, but he cares. Overall in his game, he was quite good. In his finishing, he missed chance after chance, but if you are a striker, it is like that. You think 'I missed the first one, but I will score the next one'. Once you have missed the second one, you are in trouble because after you do not know how to take the third one - 'do I really go for it, or wait for the ball?' That is what happened to him today.
I always feel sorry for someone who missed the chances. Sometimes you are angry with a guy who is not committed enough. You do not miss chances on purpose."

On the title race...
"It is down to our consistency. If we win our games, we will be there, that is for sure. But you have experienced again today that every game demands full focus and commitment. When you play against teams who fight not to go down, they will fight until the last minute. Next week we play at Hull and expect exactly the same type of game."

On Samir Nasri...
"He is improving, and in the last month, he is getting better. He had a good game today. The ball he gave to Fabregas to score was absolutely fantastic. He has a great work-rate and runs well with the ball. His passing is getting better and is really improving.

On the International Football Association Board's decision to rule out the use of goal-line technology...
"For me, it is difficult to understand, for one reason because you want as much justice as possible. I do not even think it is linked with the money factor - if you love football, you want the right decisions to be made. Today, there was an incident again at the Portsmouth game [in the FA Cup], and I just do not understand why we rule that out. It is beyond comprehension for me that you can do that."

On the impact of Aaron Ramsey's injury...
"It was still there in the first half. When we went into the tackles, it was still in our heads a bit."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Injured Fabregas ruled out of Porto tie doh

Cesc Fabregas has been ruled out of the Champions League Knockout Round second leg tie against Porto on Tuesday night.

The Arsenal captain suffered a recurrence of his hamstring injury against Burnley on Saturday. Fabregas fired the home side in front in the 34th minute then hobbled off five minutes later. Afterwards Arsène Wenger had said he would be happy to risk the 22-year-old if the odds were in his favour. At Monday’s pre-match press conference, he confirmed that they were not.

"Cesc is ruled out for tomorrow's game,” said the manager. “He has a hamstring problem and we could not even take a gamble with him.

"I was hoping [he would recover] after the game because we were cautious with him. He was not adamant about coming out of the team but still he has damaged his hamstring and we cannot take a gamble on him.

“However we have gained Sol Campbell back in the squad and Alex Song too, who was suspended against Burnley.”

Wenger added that William Gallas is still out with a calf problem. “And,” he added, “he has no chance for the Hull game as well."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 5-0 FC Porto

UEFA Champions League, Emirates Stadium

Tuesday, March 09, 2010, 19:45

* Bendtner 10, 25, 90 (pen),
* Nasri 63,
* Eboue 66

Nicklas Bendtner grabbed a timely hat-trick as Arsenal reached the Champions League Quarter-Finals by overwhelming Porto 5-0 at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night.

The Dane had been profligate against Burnley at the weekend but he hit the mark early on this evening and never looked back.

Andrey Arshavin set him up for goals on 10 and 25 minutes. That overturned Porto’s 2-1 advantage from the first leg, yet the visitors still had enough about them to ask serious questions of Arsenal at the start of the second half.

But, just past the hour, a superlative strike from Samir Nasri broke their hearts. Three minutes later, substitute Emmanuel Eboue stole a runaway fourth and Bendtner grabbed a personal third from the penalty spot in injury time.

This could have been a nervous night for Arsenal but, in the end, it was nothing of the sort.

They reached the last eight of the Champions League for the fourth time in five seasons with something to spare.

Wenger’s men are riding the crest of a winning wave right now – and this result will only help.

However bigger tests lie ahead.

The Frenchman made five changes from the side that had beaten Burnley on Saturday. Four of them seemed to be rotation - Eboue, Mikael Silvestre, Denilson and Theo Walcott for Bacary Sagna, Sol Campbell, Abou Diaby and Arshavin. The only new availability was Alex Song, who was fine for Europe despite his domestic ban. He replaced Denilson as the defensive midfielder.

To borrow a phrase from Sir Alex Ferguson, this was ‘squeaky bum time’ for Arsenal. That 2-1 defeat at Porto had left both sides with potential for progression so the tie began on a knife-edge.

Wenger’s side had been their own worst enemies in Portugal three weeks ago. Now they were back amongst friends they had to take advantage.

And that is exactly what they did in a comprehensive first half performance.

Arsenal were simply irresistible in the opening stages. They pinned Porto back in their own area and threw themselves into the act of finding the opening goal.

Nasri had an early effort blocked and, from Bacary Sagna’s swirling cross, Arshavin’s bullet header forced Helton to bat the ball beyond his own post.

Arsenal clearly fancied the job tonight and, on 10 minutes, they cashed their first pay cheque.

Almunia’s long clearance was nodded back to Nasri by Arshavin. The little Russian then turned on his heels and raced into the area to receive the Frenchman’s return pass. Just as Arshavin reached the ball so did keeper Helton and covering defender Nuno Coelho. Their collision saw the ball slither out to Bendtner, who gleefully stabbed home. It was just the tonic the Dane required.

It did his team no harm either.

After the euphoria of the goal had subsided, Helton was still receiving treatment. The Brazilian stopper had been accidentally clipped by Arshavin in his follow through.

Diaby fired over from a right wing corner as Arsenal started their search for an immediate second then, midway through the half, Arshavin’s low driven cross flew undisturbed across the face of the area.

By now, Porto were stirring. Hulk and Falcao had seen long-range shots smothered meanwhile, on another occasion, Silvestre Varela had escaped dangerously on the right of the area.

However if Arsenal had shot themselves in the foot at Estadio do Dragao three weeks ago, Porto’s aim was equally errant in the 25th minute.

There was nothing on when Diaby lost the ball on the left and Fucile seemed seeing it out for a throw. However at the last minute the midfielder changed his mind and swiveled a pass forward.

However he only found Arshavin. The Russian weaved a route past three defenders before cutting the ball back for the unmarked Bendtner to stab home.

In a tie of bizarre goals this one just about topped the lot!

Until now, Arshavin had been architect of Arsenal’s lead. But, 11 minutes before the break, he got his angles all wrong. Nasri sprinted through the Porto area to reach the byline. His cut back went through the legs of Rolando and found Arshavin who thumped his effort high over the bar.

Seven minutes from the whistle, Hulk robbed Clichy on the right thumped an angled shot into the chest of Almunia.

But although Porto knew they had to start pushing forward, their attacks were sporadic.

Just before the break Bendtner tried to curl home his hat-trick goal but Helton tipped the ball unconvincingly around the post. From the corner, the 31-year-old redeemed himself with a sharp, low stop from Diaby’s header.

In injury time, Nasri forced another decent save from Helton. The Porto keeper had been overworked in the opening half and Arsenal had just the advantage they needed.

The visitors tried to change the game after the break. They threw on striker Christian Rodriguez for defender Coelho and started to push forward.

It made a difference.

For the first time on the night, the visitors built up a head of steam. Although Song’s long shot forced a fumble from Helton, Falcao had already done the same thing to Almunia. Meanwhile Hulk was making hay down the left.

Arsenal were starting to get nervy. On the hour Rodriguez’s header was nudged into the hands of Almunia by Nasri, who was standing on the far post.

Three minutes later, the Frenchman would kill the tie.

When Diaby tapped a pass to Nasri on the right, the 22-year-old was faced with three defenders.

He decided to go through them. Bobbing and weaving he found a path between all three before planting a low drive just inside the far post.

It was perhaps the goal of the season.

Then, with Porto still reeling, Arsenal grabbed a fourth. The home side cleared a corner and Arshavin won the ball in midfield before sprinting straight at an undermanned visiting defence. The 28-year-old waited for Eboue to overtake him and then weighted his pass superbly. The Ivorian skipped past the keeper and put Arsenal into the last eight.

His work done, Arshavin was replaced by Walcott.

By now Porto were spent. The Englishman had a shot blocked and Sagna fired over. In injury time, Eboue was brought down and Bendtner stroked home from the spot.

It was the last kick of the game. Arsenal were through and the Dane was utterly redeemed.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Fabregas, Rosicky and Song set for return

Arsène Wenger expects to welcome back three midfielders - including captain Cesc Fabregas - for the visit of West Ham on Saturday.

However the Arsenal manager is increasingly concerned about the ongoing absence of William Gallas.

Fabregas has been out since the win over Burnley on March 6 because of a hamstring injury, meanwhile Tomas Rosicky missed the win at Hull on Saturday due to a mild groin problem. Both are expected to pass fitness tests on Friday morning.

With Alex Song also available after a two-game domestic suspension, Arsenal's midfield is nearly back to full strength. In addition, striker Carlos Vela may also be added to the squad.

However Gallas is still absent with, what Wenger described as, "an endless calf injury". The Frenchman has missed the last six games with the problem and will sit out at least two more.

It is a significant cloud on an otherwise improving injury picture.

"Cesc and Tomas have a final test tomorrow morning," Wenger told TV Online before training on Thursday. "They should be available for Saturday.

"From the last game we don't lose anybody. So normally we should have Fabregas, Carlos Vela and Rosicky back. Plus of course we have Song coming back from suspension.

"However William Gallas will not be available this week or at Birmingham. It is going on and on. It is a concern.

"It is an endless calf strain and so we need Sol Campbell and Mikael Silvestre to be highly ready to help us out."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Traore - My real dream is to play for Arsenal

On Wednesday, Armand Traore was linked in the media with a move to Paris Saint-Germain. The following day he asked to speak to Arsenal.com to set the record straight. Here's what he had to say.

Armand, what is your reaction to the stories that emerged yesterday?
"I just want to say I am fully committed to Arsenal, my heart is with Arsenal and the manager. I want to stay here. I want to work hard so I can eventually play for the first-team.
"My dream is to play for Arsenal week-in, week-out and to be the first choice left back. If I work hard and improve my defensive duties then I think it is a strong possibility. But I am nowhere near leaving."

So what do you make of these stories? Are you annoyed?
"Yes I am annoyed, because I spoke with good intention but it hasn't come out that way. I said I would maybe like to play there eventually because I grew up supporting PSG, but nowhere near the summer. There is no summer talk. I am 100 per cent, 100 per cent committed to Arsenal. It will be like this until my contract finishes or until I am not wanted here anymore. That is how it is.
"I come from Paris. It is true that I have supported PSG and I like the club, my ambition is to play for Arsenal and that is it. I am only concentrated on Arsenal. I do not want the Arsenal fans to think that my heart is not with this Club. I am fully committed with Arsenal and the manager."

Do you feel you are getting closer to a first-team spot?
"Yes I feel I am. But I don't want to get closer, I want to get into the first-team. But it is going to be hard because Gael is coming back and coming back well. He is a good left back. However, I believe in myself and I believe that if I work hard I will improve defensively. I know exactly what I need to work on so that makes it easier."

You've been here for a few years. You've worked hard to get to the position you are in, so you don't want to give it up because you have made progress.
"Of course, I believe that I have made progress. I came back from Portsmouth and have played a few games, and I will keep working as hard as I can."

You have played eight Premier League games this season. If you play two more matches, even off the bench, you'd get a medal if we won the title. How big is that ambition?
"It is massive. Obviously all the games are very important. I don't think you want to change the team much at the moment but I would love to come on even for two seconds a couple of times just to get the medal! That would be a huge thing. I am only 20 and if we go all the way it would be amazing."

The boss famously did it for Martin Keown in 2002 you know?
"Hopefully he'll do the same. We'll have to wait a bit first to see how the League is going to go but if that is the case I would like to come off the bench a couple of times. The team is playing really well at the moment so let's hope we can do it."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal face Barcelona in Champions League crazy

Arsenal will play Barcelona in the Quarter-Finals of the Champions League.

Arsène Wenger's team were paired with the European champions when the draw for the last eight of this season's competition took place at Uefa Headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland on Friday.

Arsenal lost to Barcelona in the 2006 Final despite leading for much of that game in Paris. And of course, Barca now have a certain Thierry Henry in their ranks.

The first leg of this season's Quarter-Final will take place at Emirates Stadium with the return leg at the Nou Camp.

If Arsenal advance to the last four of the Champions League they will face Inter Milan or CSKA Moscow.

Arsenal.com will have reaction from the draw later today. Stay close to the official club website for ticket information.

Quarter-Final draw:

Lyon v Bordeaux
Bayern Munich v Manchester United
Arsenal v Barcelona
Inter Milan v CSKA Moscow

Semi-Final draw:
Bayern Munich or Manchester United v Lyon or Bordeaux
Inter Milan or CSKA Moscow v Arsenal or Barcelona

Zuletzt bearbeitet von braumi; 19/03/2010 13:49.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 2-0 West Ham United

Barclays Premier League, Emirates Stadium

Saturday, March 20, 2010, 17:30

* Denilson 5,
* Fabregas 82 (pen)

Ten-man Arsenal went the top of the Premier League table with a tense 2-0 win over West Ham on Saturday evening.

There seemed little problem for almost the entire first half. Denilson fired home after just five minutes and the home side went on to produce a regal display.

However a minute before the break the game changed when Thomas Vermaelen was sent off after conceding a controversial penalty. It was Arsenal's first red card in 68 games.

Although Manuel Almunia made a wonderful save from Alessandro Diamanti's spot-kick, the home team still had a nervy second half to negotiate.

They did it manfully. Apart from Carlton Cole's post-rattling drive, West Ham were kept at a distance. Arsenal sealed the win seven minutes from time when Matthew Upson handled and Cesc Fabregas fired home from the spot.

Wenger's men will drop to third if Manchester United and Chelsea both win their games on Sunday. However even draws could be damaging enough.

Arsenal simple refuse to take the easy route to the title right now. They keep on digging themselves into holes and then finding a way out.

It is heart-stopping and heartening in equal measure.

But their character is shining through.

Wenger made two changes from the side had that beaten Hull so late the previous Saturday. Fabregas (hamstring) and Alex Song (suspension) were back.

Numerically, they replaced Abou Diaby and Bacary Sagna. But in actual fact, the new recruits both came into central midfield so Samir Nasri moved out to the right and Eboue filled in behind him.

This may have been the late game on Saturday but it was the earliest fixture affecting in the title race. Arsenal had been playing catch-up more often than not in recent weeks. Today they finally could put a little pressure on the others.

And it took them only five minutes to start the process.

Denilson received the ball just outside the area, exchanged passes with Bendtner and fired low in the corner. It was the Brazilian's sixth of the season in only his 20th game, not bad for a defensive midfielder.

As usual, he celebrated with a Samba.

The goal was the highlight of a brisk, open start. Bendtner's drive and Alessandro Diamanti's free-kick whistled wide at either end. In the ninth minute, Nasri's chip found Denilson in space 12 yards out. He went for the spectacular and, this time, failed.

Arsenal were fast, fluent and irresistible in the early stages. Eboue threaded a cross-shot beyond the far post through a crowded area and a delightful midfield move only ended when Bendtner's first-time pass just squirted clear of the onrushing Fabregas.

West Ham were on the back foot. Yes Junior Stanislas went clear on the right and his low cross was inches too quick for the sliding Mido. But that, and the early free-kick, was about it for the opening 44 minutes.

Despite the result at Hull last weekend, Arsenal's performance had been patchy. This was very different. Today, Wenger's men were in the groove. Everything seemed effortless. There was always a pass available when they attacked and always a block on hand when they had to defend.

As half-time approached the home team dropped intensity. Still, the only potential problem was the narrowness of the lead given their dominance.

Four minutes before the break they nearly remedied that. First Gael Clichy swept down the left and a near post flick from Fabregas dribbled across goal before Fabio Deprela dealt with the danger. Seconds later, Arshavin picked out the Spaniard at the far post but the West Ham defence were on him before he could get his shot away.

After that the half seemed happy to drift to the break.

But this thriller would end with a twist.

In the dying seconds, Arsenal lost a player and so nearly the lead.

A long ball forward caught them napping. Franco and Vermaelen tussled for the ball and the Italian muscled himself just in front of the Belgian. The Arsenal defender definitely made contact inside and outside the area but the decision was still debatable.

Certainly the penalty AND red card seemed harsh in the circumstances. But the laws of football left referee Martin Atkinson little option once he had blown for the foul.

Wenger felt passionately enough about the decision to seek out the referee as he went off at half time.

That, however, was not the immediate concern. Diamanti had won West Ham a point from the spot at Upton Park. This time he would be denied.

Almunia flung himself to his left to make the save. It was a massive moment in the game and, who knows, maybe the season.

However Wenger's men still had to negotiate the second half.

The good ship Arsenal had been sailing on a millpond for 45 minutes. The remaining 45 would be played out on choppier water.

Certainly it started that way. West Ham had early pressure but Wenger had brought back Alex Song to centre half and the reshuffled defence had enough about them to smuggle away any danger. The closest the visitors came in the opening 20 minutes of the half was a couple of pot-shots from Diamanti.

By then Arsenal had wrestled the initiative. Denilson had a long shot deflected wide and Fabregas went close with a free-kick.

Just before the hour, Wenger brought off Bendtner for Diaby and pushed Arshavin up front. An interesting move but if anything it helped Arsenal create the better chances.

Campbell forced Robert Green into a smothering save with a towering header from Fabregas' free-kick. Twelve minutes from time, Arshavin weaved his way into the area and again force the West Ham keeper into action.

By now Zola had brought on Benny McCarthy and Carlton Cole. He was cranking up all the pressure he could muster.

The latter bundled through the Arsenal defence and fired a low shot against the outside of the far post.

With 10 minutes left the game was in the balance. It was the type of situation in which Wenger's men had buckled in the past.

Yet again this team showed they are made of stronger stuff.

Upson handled Fabregas' just inside the area as the captain tried to clip a pass through to Eboue. This time the decision was obvious and Fabregas buried the penalty.

This was another triumph in adversity, another display of guts and spirit.

But that is standard fare for Arsenal right now and if they continue it until May 9 they might just keep their current position.

* Vermaelen is expected to receive a one-match ban and will miss the trip to Birmingham next Saturday.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Ramsey starts to walk without his crutches

Aaron Ramsey visited the Arsenal training ground this week and was able to walk unaided as he caught up with his team-mates.

The midfielder suffered a season-ending broken leg in the Gunners' 3-1 win over Stoke City last month. Prior to that the 19-year-old had been enjoying a run in the first-team and had scored four times this season.

Speaking shortly before Premier League game against West Ham, manager Arsène Wenger told Arsenal TV Online that he was pleased with the early stages of Aaron's recovery.

"He has been encouraged to walk without crutches and he is doing that," said the Frenchman.

"The recovery is going as well as you could hope for at this stage of the injury. He is, of course, impatient as anybody would be in his position.

"But we have had no bad surprises. Until now, everything has been going to plan."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Club appeals Thomas Vermaelen red card

On Monday evening the Football Association released the following statement:

“The FA has received a claim for wrongful dismissal from Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen.

“Vermaelen was shown a red card for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity during Arsenal’s match against West Ham United on Saturday 20 March.

“A Regulatory Commission will hear the claim on Tuesday 23 March.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Van Persie 'at least a month' from return

Robin Van Persie will return to Arsenal this week but it will be at least a month until he is playing again, according to Arsène Wenger.

The striker has been out since November after suffering ankle ligament damage while playing for Holland in an international friendly against Italy.

During February Wenger stated that the 26-year-old could return to action in late April - but only if his recovery stays on track.

Speaking after Arsenal's 2-0 win over West Ham United on Saturday, Wenger hadn't changed his assessment of Robin's condition.

"I think he will be back [with the Club] this week," said the manager.

"We sent our fitness coach out to Holland where Robin has been having his rehabilitation. Physically he looks very sharp but we aim at least to wait a month."

Zuletzt bearbeitet von braumi; 23/03/2010 09:11.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Vermaelen red card appeal is dismissed

The Football Association has just released the following statement:

"At a Regulatory Commission hearing today, a claim for wrongful dismissal from Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen was dismissed.

"Vermaelen was shown a red card for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity during Arsenal’s match against West Ham United on Saturday 20 March.

"He will now serve a one match suspension with immediate effect."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger puts Gallas contract talks on hold

Arsène Wenger has put contract talks with William Gallas on hold so that he can focus on forthcoming fixtures. However, the Frenchman is confident the centre-back will be an Arsenal player next season.

Gallas is out of contract in the summer but talks are ongoing to renew his deal.

But with important Premier League matches and both legs of the Champions League Quarter-Final with Barcelona to come over the next few weeks, Wenger has turned his attention to strictly on-pitch matters.

"There is no update [on Gallas' contract talks]," said Wenger at his pre-match press conference on Thursday. "In the next two or three weeks we will not deal with any contract because we have games every three days and we will focus on our targets.

"I feel we are winning the battle to keep him but in this domain you have to be open and be ready for anything.

"He is in a position where he is free to sign for anybody he wants and tomorrow somebody could come up and offer him a massive amount of money and I don’t know if he will sign or not.

"He knows we want to keep him and that we make an effort but it has to be, as it always has been historically, within our set budget."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Birmingham 1-1 Arsenal

Barclays Premier League, St Andrews Stadium

Saturday, March 27, 2010, 15:00

* Phillips 90

* Nasri 81

A deflected, injury-time equaliser from Kevin Phillips put a large dent in Arsenal's title chances at Birmingham on Saturday.

Arsène Wenger's side seemed to have ground out a crucial victory when substitute Samir Nasri fired home with nine minutes left. It was due reward for the visitors' tenacity this afternoon in one of their toughest fixtures of the remaining campaign.

However all their good work was undone in the dying seconds when, quite incredibly, Bacary Sagna's attempted clearance hit Birmingham substitute Phillips and ballooned over Manuel Almunia.

It was unfortunate for the visitors who, while not at their best, were clearly the better side on the day.

The last time Arsenal played here a 90th-minute equaliser lethally weakened their title chances. Wenger's men would have gone eight points clear in February 2008 had they held out in the final minutes.

This late equaliser, coupled with Chelsea's thumping 7-1 win over Aston Villa, means Arsenal ended the afternoon three points off the team at the top. With Manchester United entertaining Bolton a few hours later, the Emirates Stadium side were likely to be more than a win away from the leaders by Sunday.

A recent reflection on the title race should warn anyone from writing off Arsenal just yet - especially as Manchester United and Chelsea play each other next Saturday.

However their margin for error is now wafer-thin.

Wenger's team selection was always going to be interesting this afternoon. With Thomas Vermaelen suspended, the key decision was at centre back and, in the end, the manager retained the pairing that had ended last week's win over West Ham.

Alex Song was pulled back alongside Sol Campbell so Denilson became the holding midfielder. Abou Diaby completed the central trio.

Elsewhere Wenger made like-for-like swaps - Bacary Sagna for Emmanuel Eboue, Tomas Rosicky for Nasri and Theo Walcott for Andrey Arshavin. The moves were made to freshen up the side but, as a by-product, they also made Arsenal much more attacking.

The return of Eduardo had dominated the pre-match build-up but, in the end, the Croatian began on the bench this afternoon.

Birmingham came into this game with a proud home record. Chelsea and Manchester United had both been held to draws earlier in the campaign. But, with title race so tight, Arsenal simply had to exceed the exploits of their main title rivals.

And they went for it right from the start.

In the third minute, Cesc Fabregas fed Rosicky on the overlap and his low cross was diverted goalwards by Diaby at the near post. If the ball had not hit Lee Bowyer then the Arsenal just might have snatched an early lead.

The visitors continued to ask all the early questions but gradually Birmingham flexed their considerable muscle.

The home side won a succession of free-kicks and, from one in the 10th minute, Denilson's clearance found Craig Gardner, who drove over the bar.

Walcott had a shout of penalty when Liam Ridgewell pushed him over on one of his many excursions into the area. The England winger was already starting to have an influential game.

In the 18th minute, he muscled in front of Scott Dann and went clear for a split-second. However Joe Hart rushed out to block his shot on the edge of the area.

By now, Arsenal were starting to turn the screw again. They penned Birmingham back into their area for a couple of minutes before, midway through half, Sol Campbell thundered a header over the bar from a Fabregas corner.

However this organised and resilient Birmingham side would not be restrained for long.

On the half-hour Bowyer robbed Denilson in midfield and Jerome's drive was brilliantly turned around the post by Almunia. It would be the only genuine save of the first half.

The ex-Cardiff striker had already given the Arsenal defence as much trouble as they wanted. In the 37th minute, he escaped once more on the left and, despite the attentions of Campbell, forced a regulation stop from Almunia.

As half-time approached the tension rose. Arsenal had seen Clichy and Song booked in a tetchy first half.

Those two would spend the second period on a knife-edge. With points so precious, the visitors' title bid was in exactly the same position.

The tension did not dissipate in the opening stages of the second half. If anything it increased.

It took 10 minutes for either side to create a chance. Rosicky darted through the Birmingham defence and fed Diaby. He swivelled into space on the edge of the area and fired first-time. Unfortunately it was straight at Hart.

It seemed that Arsenal were starting to crank up the pressure but, in fact, the chance heralded Birmingham's clearest opportunity of the game.

Denilson fouled Gardner in the centre circle. Barry Ferguson floated free-kick to the far post where the sliding Roger Johnson clipped a lofted volley across Almunia and against the far post. The ball bounced back into the area and hit the knee of Scott Dann before billowing over the bar.

It was a huge let-off for Arsenal and perhaps it precipitated the changes that followed. Wenger swapped both of his wide men, Rosicky and Walcott, for Arshavin and Nasri.

The tide was soon entirely behind Arsenal. They were pressing for the breakthrough with persistence, pushing Birmingham onto the backfoot.

Arshavin's first touch was to shovel a ball back into the path of Nasri, who shot tamely at Hart. Before that Bendtner had failed to anticipated Johnson missing Sagna's right-wing cross.

Diaby planted the ball in the net from range but referee Howard Webb ruled it out for a foul in the build-up.
Arsenal needed more so, with 10 minutes left, Wenger called for Eduardo to come on.

The Croatian trotted over the bench to get stripped. But before he could get on, Arsenal scored. Nasri collected the ball on the right and drove towards the area before letting fly.

The ball flew into the far corner of the net and the Frenchman raced towards the Arsenal fans who were already in a state of delirium. In the wake of the goal, Wenger told Eduardo to sit down again.

Birmingham tried to respond but could not muster much. In fact Arsenal should have killed it off. First Fabregas' fierce free-kick was batted away by Hart then Nasri burst through and tried to find Arshavin when he should have gone for goal. The Russian miscued from close range.

It seemed Arsenal were about to hold on but there was a sting in the tail.

In the second minute of injury time, Birmingham clipped an angled ball into the area. Sagna's clearance hit Phillips and the scrambling Almunia could not stop the ball finding the net.

It was a horrible goal to concede and a horrible end.

The solitary point means Arsenal have fallen off the pace in the title race.

There is still time for them to recover but, from here on in, Wenger's men must be immaculate.

Arsenal lost two vital points here today but they have not lost hope.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
'It is a big blow for our title chances'

On the 1-1 draw...
"It is a disappointment because we had the game won and we had the chance to score the second goal. I believe the pitch was very difficult to play on and it was a scrappy game. We got slowly on top and played the second half in their half but they defended well and made the game difficult. In the end we got caught."

On Birmingham's equaliser...
"I think first there as an offside and then Almunia deflected the ball into his own goal. But I will have to see it again."

On if he was disappointed to concede late on...
"Of course but football is never finished when two teams fight until the end. We had the chance to score the second and to keep the ball. The last thing you want is a free-kick against you. Instead of going to the corner flag we are confined to their box."

On Cesc Fabregas' injury...
"I don't know medically. We will have to assess that tomorrow. He got tackled at the knee. We tried to take him of at first but after he said he was alright."

On if he will miss the Barcelona game...
"I don't know."

On leaving Nasri and Arshavin on the bench...
"Arshavin had a groin problem and Nasri had a knee problem from the last game."

On where the result leaves Arsenal in the title race...
"It is a big blow for our title, of course. We were in a position where we had to win all our games and not to win today is a big blow to our chances."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - St Andrew's pitch was terrible

Arsène Wenger believes the Premier League merits better surfaces than the one used at Birmingham on Saturday.

Arsenal failed to get their passing going at St Andrew's in another crucial game at the top of the table. It took them until the 81st minute to take the lead and even then they were pegged back in the dying seconds when Bacary Sagna's clearance looped home after hitting Kevin Phillips.

Wenger knew it would be one of the toughest remaining games for his title-chasing side but the conditions did not help.

"The place is very hostile but what is most important is that the pitch was terrible," he said afterwards.

"If we are selling our game's international rights for £1.2 billion next year that means we have to offer something to people. When we pretend we have the best league in the world, the minimum we have is to take care of our pitches when you want so much money.

"When you go to a dentist, do you want him to have as bad a tool as possible to repair your teeth?"

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - No room for error after 'defeat'

Arsène Wenger admits there is "no room for error" after the defeat at Birmingham on Saturday.

Of course Arsenal came away with a point from St Andrew's at the weekend but the nature of Kevin Phillips' equaliser, a deflected effort in the dying seconds of injury time, made the result feel worse than the reality.

For the sake of Arsenal's season, Wenger knows he has to haul his side back to form before the visit of Barcelona in the Champions League Quarter-Final first leg on Wednesday.

"It is a disappointment to be pulled back in the last minute," he said. "Barcelona is a different competition and we have a few days to recover and prepare. But it felt like a defeat on Saturday.

"It is always hard to pick the players up when you get a result like that. We are on a run that is very difficult where we know there is no room for error at all so Saturday was a big disappointment for us."

Wenger added that Cesc Fabregas and Abou Diaby are both fitness doubts for Wednesday.

Arsenal.com will carry any official news as soon as possible.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Fabregas has '40 per cent chance' for Barca aah

Cesc Fabregas has only a 40 per cent chance of playing against Barcelona on Wednesday night.

The Arsenal captain suffered severe bruising to his leg at Birmingham last Saturday and struggled to complete the game. The Spaniard failed to train on Tuesday and, at his press conference afterwards, Arsène Wenger said he may leave it as late as the warm-up before making a decision.

"He didn't appear in training because at the moment he is not fit to play," said the Frenchman. "We will give ourselves 24 hours more and we will assess the situation tomorrow. But today he would not be available.

"Sometimes you do not want to take a gamble in training because 24 hours more can help. You don't want him to get another kick so it was better that he didn't train.

"I would say it is 60 against, 40 for him playing. Cesc is desperate to play in every single game we play. But if he is not capable to play I wouldn't even put him on the bench. We have 19 players in the squad, that means I have considered the possibility of ruling him out completely.

"But if Cesc is fit I will play him. And I cannot give you an answer today because the medical staff tell me there is still a chance he will be available. But that will decided in the warm up tomorrow night. That tells you how late we will leave it."

Seite 39 von 41 1 2 37 38 39 40 41

Moderated by  toubi 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Winamax VfB Stuttgart
Winamax VfB Stuttgart VIP Tickets Gewinnspiel
Gewinnspiele
500 € Tippspiel EUROPA-Torschützen.
von pik7 - 18/04/2024 07:54
550 € DFB-Pokal Torschützencup 23/24
von pik7 - 05/04/2024 20:19
Betano - Welcome
Wer ist jetzt online
18 members (dragoon, kafi112, AllesSuper, Bambi, Bartho01, Flip160, Hackentrick, grottenoli, Haiefan, Gamera), 2,493 Gäste, und 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Poster(30 Tage)
Haiefan 96
pik7 48
Forum Statistiken
Forum25
Themen1,439
Beiträge121,290
Mitglieder3,864
Am meisten online8,723
Feb 16th, 2016
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Spielen mit Verantwortung - Responsible Gaming
Wetten Sie nicht über ihre Verhältnisse.

Wenn Sie oder jemanden, den Sie kennen, ein Problem mit Spielsucht hat, raten wir Ihnen, dass Sie Hilfe von einer dieser anerkannten Organisationen in Betracht ziehen:

18+ Glücksspiel kann süchtig machen - Hilfe finden Sie auf www.bzga.de

Gamblers Anonymous
Webseite www.gamblersanonymous.org

Gambling Therapy
Webseite www.gamblingtherapy.org

Weiterführende Links finden Sie auch außerdem weiter unten bei unseren Partnerseiten.

Unsere Partner & Links:
Bundesliga Tippspiel - Forum Gluecksspielsucht - gamCare - begambleaware - Wettbonus - Wettbasis - Flashscore
DATENSCHUTZ
IMPRESSUM