bet365
NeoBet Profi
NeoBet Profi
ShoutChat
Kommentarrichtlinien: Posten Sie respektvolle und aufschlussreiche Kommentare. Kein Flamen, Hassen, Spam.
Neuste Mitglieder
Fancy_Franzi, Gamera, danny, gRuBer, Sport
3,864 Registrierte Mitglieder
bwin - Sportwetten Bonus
Bookie-News
Winamax Bonus Aktionen
von BjoernT4Y - 18/03/2024 17:48
Geburtstage heute
Es gibt keine Mitglieder mit Geburtstagen an diesem Tag.
Vorheriger Thread
Nächster Thread
Thread drucken
Bewertung: 5
Seite 40 von 41 1 2 38 39 40 41
Beigetreten: Dec 2007
braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal v Barcelona

UEFA Champions League, Emirates Stadium

Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 19:45

Slick, stylish, soft and unsuccessful - that is the good and bad side of Arsenal's reputation.

Supposedly, Arsène Wenger's team are easy on the eye but, at the same time, all too easily swept aside when the titles are really at stake.

The manager rallies hard against this widely-discussed view in his press conferences; citing a decade in upper echelons of the Champions League, the building of Emirates Stadium as well, of course, as the construction of a new young side.

But then, somewhere in the proceedings, someone will mention the lack of silverware since 2005.

That is cast-iron fact and, if the bookmakers are to be believed, one that won't change this year. And even if Arsenal do win the title you can bet another detractor will label them ‘big-game bottlers' after home-and-away defeats to the two main rivals.

However Wenger knows that beating the mighty Barcelona would seriously shift the thinking surrounding his side. The Spanish champions are considered the best team in Europe and knocked out both Manchester United and Chelsea on route to Champions League glory last May.

They arrive at Emirates Stadium this evening for a Quarter-Final first leg weighed down with meaning. Thankfully, on the eve of the game, the interest in Cesc Fabregas and Thierry Henry meeting their former sides had began to subside. It allowed Wenger to contemplate what victory would do for his team.

"I believe that this side is on a great run, has a great spirit and a great togetherness," he said. "The ingredients are there to deliver something special, so let's go for it.

"The opinions are there to be changed and what changes opinions is the performances. What is good in sport is that people assess continuously something that looks to be definite but actually is always moving. And what moves the opinions of people is how well we play.

"I believe we have changed the opinions of many people in England since July and what is important now, until the end of the season, is how we will turn up.

"We can make history by kicking Barcelona out. That's an opportunity we have. We know we play against a great team but let's make sure we are not too much in respect of them.

"The danger is the hype over them. That is where we have to be realistic, pragmatic and play our own game. So let's be brave, express our strengths and have a real go."

The day before the game, Fabregas had a 40 per cent chance of playing and Wenger said he'd be prepared to do the final testing in the warm-up if it meant his skipper could play. William Gallas is back in the squad. The centre half was thought to be some weeks away from a return from his calf injury but Tuesday's training session was, in fact, his third in succession. He should partner Thomas Vermaelen, who is back from a ban. Slight niggles to Abou Diaby, Andrey Arshavin and Samir Nasri will not prevent their involvement.

It would be lovely to think that if Arsenal stopped Lionel Messi they would stop Barca. But it frankly isn't the case.

However the little Argentinean is undoubtedly the world's finest footballer right now. He is averaging a goal a game in La Liga this season and hit back-to-back hat-tricks against Valencia and Zaragoza earlier this month. However it is not the number of goals that impresses, it is their consistent beauty.

When Wenger said the following he was not referring to Messi directly - but he could have been.

"I believe that when you do something, whether it be writing, dancing or playing football, if you do it at the best level it becomes art. Because what is art? It is something that is always good to watch."

Zlatan Ibrahimovic and the talismanic Henry also see the football pitch as their canvas. Barca have been robbed of midfield schemer Andreas Iniesta because of a thigh problem. But Xavi is back after injury and the less heralded Pedro Rodriguez has been holding down a regular place in such exalted company therefore he must be top-draw.

Yet the artists have their enforcers. Carlos Puyol and Gabriel Milito create a ‘fancy-dan free zone' at centre back while Yaya Toure is an archetypal ballwinner in midfield. Kolo's younger brother might have been fulfilling that role for Arsenal this evening had they extended his stay beyond one pre-season friendly at Barnet almost seven years ago.

Manchester United were well-beaten in last year's Final but the Semi-Final against Chelsea was a close and controversial affair. Guus Hiddink's side played with a shackling shape and, broadly speaking, made it work. Wenger, true to form, seemed reluctant to follow suit.

"Chelsea are a team with a lot of experience who can stick to 90 minutes of discipline because they are all 28, 29 and 30-years-old. It is mentally demanding when you don't touch the ball because it is important that you don't lose your confidence.

"But Barcelona are a team that always keep their style and defend their philosophy till the end so what we have to do is to try and put them on the back foot and play at an English rhythm."

This, of course, was the purist's draw. The 2006 Final was built up in the same way but the 18th-minute sending off of Jens Lehmann stopped it ever living up to that publicity. Only seven of 22 starters from that game are still with their respective clubs - three for Arsenal, four for Barcelona (meanwhile Henry has switched sides). However the philosophies remain the same.

"Everyone is expecting it to be a great game," said Wenger. "But then in that Final everybody was expecting it to be a great game and after 20 minutes it was ten against 11.

"It is difficult to predict but the intentions on both sides are positive, so it is promising that it will be a good game and I think it will be.

"I think we are two teams who try to play so I leave others to judge."

And Wenger intends to alter that judgement in the space of 180 exhilarating minutes.

* As we are sure many supporters will be aware, today is the ninth anniversary of the passing of David Rocastle. The legendary Arsenal player died on March 31, 2001 at the age of just 33 after suffering from non-Hodgkin's lymphona. Everyone at the Club's thoughts are with David's family at this time.

Quelle: arsenal.com

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arsenal 2-2 Barcelona

UEFA Champions League, Emirates Stadium

Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 19:45

* Walcott 69,
* Fabregas 85 (pen)

* Ibrahimovic 46, 59

Arsenal were battered, bruised but unbeaten by Barcelona in a fabulous Champions League Quarter-Final first leg on Wednesday night.

The Spanish champions waged a war on their hosts in the first half with only Manuel Almunia truly stemming the tide.

However, within 25 seconds of the restart, Zlatan Ibrahimovic chipped the stranded keeper and, just before the hour, the Swedish striker fired Barcelona into a lead against which few could argue.

At this point Arsenal seemed spent. But Theo Walcott thumped home two minutes after coming off the bench and, six minutes from time, Cesc Fabregas was fouled by Carlos Puyol and the Spaniard fired the home side level from the spot.

The Arsenal captain appeared to pull a muscle as he raced back to the centre circle to search for the winner. Having picked up a booking, the midfielder will miss the second leg anyway.

Thanks to his efforts, Wenger's men can travel to the Nou Camp carrying that vital footballing commodity - hope.

The odds are still against Arsenal going through but this incredible tie is NOT over yet.

Barcelona's arrival this evening was big news. Champions League games simply do not come bigger than this.

Actually strike that. Football games simply do not come bigger than this.

A steady stream of blue-and-red Barcelona fans had begun to congregate around Emirates Stadium at lunchtime on Wednesday.

By kick-off, they were noisily ensconced in a corner of the ground.

This game felt historic and, as ever, the Arsenal fans reacted to the occasion. Special banners were unveiled at the north end of the ground and the team emerged to a cacophony of noise.

Both of Arsenal's injury doubts - Fabregas (knee) and William Gallas (calf) - were passed fit. The centre back was returning after missing the previous eight games.

Elsewhere Andrey Arshavin and Samir Nasri also came in. Denilson, Sol Campbell and Theo Walcott dropped out.

Despite the absence of Thierry Henry, Barcelona's attacking roll call had been billed as frightening - Messi, Ibrahimovic, Xavi et al.

And perhaps that apprehension affected Arsenal as they nearly conceded twice in the opening seconds.

In Barcelona's first attack Ibrahimovic escaped on the right and, his former Ajax team-mate Thomas Vermaelan scuffed the ball behind. From Xavi's corner Sergio Busquets arrived unmarked inside the area and forced a fine save from Almunia. It would be the first of many stops by the Spaniard.

Messi emerged in the fifth minute; dancing through before seeing a shot bounce off the diving keeper.

A couple of seconds later came the clearest effort of the lot. Daniel Alves raced into the area on he right and his low cross found Ibrahimovic unmarked eight yards out. He skied his effort horribly over the bar. A glaring miss.

The visitors were in supreme control. Xavi collected Seydou Kieta's knockdown and Messi saw a drive blocked and, on the quarter-hour, Almunia made a couple of stunning saves.

His point-blank block from Busquets hit both his hands. Before that he had also thrust out a left paw to bat away Ibrahimovic when the Swede was bearing down on goal.

Song also cleared a bouncing goalbound effort and Sagna nodded over the bar from Maxwell's drive.

If this has been a boxing match, it may have been stopped. Arsenal were still on their feet but they were taken unnecessary punishment.

In the 18th minute, a glance at the statistics showed Barca had enjoyed 76 per cent of the possession. In England, win, lose or draw, that is always Arsenal's key number. The hunters were being hunted.

In the 20th minute Arshavin's cross caused welcome consternation in the Barcelona area. It was the first tiny sign that Arsenal were breaking out. When Nasri's left-wing curler drifted inches wide the feeling had much more gravitas.

Seconds after Clichy got away with a nudge on Messi in the area, Eboue replaced Arshavin. The 28-year-old had picked up a knock a few minutes earlier and, after coming off, went straight down the tunnel for treatment

By now Arsenal were keeping Barca at bay. Their clear-cut opportunities had dried up and Almunia's duties were more caretaking and lost-cause saving.

And, seven minutes from the break, the home might have taken the lead. Nasri's cross went between Alves and Busquets to Bendtner at the far post. The unmarked Dane did not know he had been flagged offside when he fired at Victor Valdes and planted the rebound against the post.

Four minutes later, the Gallas gambled failed. The Frenchman limped off and Arsenal were playing with 10 men for some minutes.

In the intervening time there was more drama. Nasri's low cross was cleared by a desperate Puyol with Bendtner prowling at the far post. Then Fabregas fouled Busquets and received a yellow card that puts him out of the return game at the Nou Camp.

The captain held his head in his hands. He knew the importance of the moment.

It was bitter way to end the half but Arsenal just had to be thankful to be still in the tie.

In fact, the goal Barcelona had threatened throughout the first half came after 25 seconds of the restart. Puyol hoisted a long ball forward, Ibrahimovic raced on to it and lifted an angled ball over Almunia and into the net.

As it deserved as it was, the manner of the finish came as a surprise.

Arsenal did their best to respond. In the 56th minute, Clichy reached the byline and sent over a hanging cross. Bendtner met it perfectly but Valdes dived to his right to paw the ball away. It was Arsenal's clearest chance of the game by some way.

However, in keeping with the nature of this match, the home side were rocked on their heels immediately. Daniel Alves clipped a cross from the right and Xavi, unmarked, slid a header wide from six yards out.

Just before the hour, Barcelona struck an all too simple second. Ibrahimovic timed his run perfectly and Alves lofted a pass down the right-hand channel. The tall striker was one-on-one with Almunia and fired home clinically at the near post.

Wenger made his last change - Walcott for Sagna. The effect was almost immediate and, two minutes later, Nasri and Bendtner put him into open space on the right-hand side. The England international raced into the area and fired a low drive under the right hand of Valdes.

It was not just a goal. It was a lifeline.

Messi might have put Barcelona out of sight in the 76th minute but, yet again, Almunia proved his equal. And, as if Barcelona did not have enough options, Henry then came off the bench.

But Arsenal would find their salvation with six minutes left. Bendtner cleverly chested the ball down to Fabregas six yards out. Puyol clattered in to him as he was set to pull the trigger. It was a crystal clear penalty and the Barcelona captain duly received a red card.

His opposite number was immaculate from the spot.

Fabregas raced into to collect the ball and trotted back to the centre circle. In the process, something in his leg seemed to ‘go'. With all the substitutes made, he was a limping passenger for the final minutes.

They passed with little to report. Finally this maelstrom of a match had settled down.

Henry got a special ovation as he left the pitch. He responded in kind and stopped to sign a few autographs.

Clearly, he has not been forgotten by anyone at Arsenal.

Though he did not star this evening, the 60,000 witnesses inside Emirates will remember the game in which he returned for years to come.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger: 'We gave them too much room to play'

on whether Arsenal were fortunate...
"I must first say that we played against a great team who was dominant in the early part of the game. That's where we were lucky because they had early chances. We gave them too much room to play. But I must say I give a lot of credit to my players because we kept in the tie at 2-0 against a team like Barcelona. If you have no mental strength you can go down to 5-0 but we came back to 2-2. The only regret I have tonight is the way we gave the two goals away. We were lucky to be 0-0 at half time but I am convinced that had we not given those two cheap goals away we would have won the game."

on being outplayed for periods of the match...
"I don't deny that. They are an outstanding team but I believe that most of the shots on goal they had were in the first part of the game. We were in a position at 2-0 when you play against a great side and you have to throw everything forward. You know you can be caught with another goal."

on whether he regrets playing Fabregas...
"I don't know. At the end of the day you have to trust how the player feels and you trust your medical people. There was nothing wrong medically, they told me, and he had a test this morning and said he was ready to play. I haven't spoken to him yet because he has an X-ray - we have to check nothing is wrong with him. I think anyway he is suspended for the second leg and I believe he won't play on Saturday. If it was a muscular injury he would have been better to come off. He wanted to stay on - maybe he thought he would get another penalty."

on his attitude after the booking which ruled him out of the second leg...
"He is fantastic. His mental strength... he didn't give up. I believe the whole team was mentally unbelievable tonight because we kept going and kept going and kept going against an opponent that is class. But I am still convinced we can make life difficult for them in the second game. We have a chance to qualify."

on Barca losing Puyol and Pique to suspension...
"From what I have seen tonight it is not enough!"

on William Gallas...
"William has a calf strain. He will be out for a while now. Again, I took a gamble that didn't pay off. I can say yes, I regret that now."

on Andrey Arshavin...
"He is the same, he has done his calf."

on whether it's easier to accept being outplayed by a side like Barcelona...
"It is not easy, believe me, but you respect it more than when you are kicked. I respect what Barcelona did tonight and you have to say they are a great side. They won the European Cup, the [Spanish] championship, the [Spanish] Cup, and you can see why. I still believe that a part of their superiority was down to their inhibition at the start of the game. We gave them too much room in the first part of the game."

on why he is confident Arsenal can qualify...
"Because we have to study well how we be dominant and win the ball back. I believe that when we win the ball back we always looked dangerous against them. Especially using some weaknesses that we have exploited quite well tonight. We have to go for that."

on Theo Walcott's performance...
"I don't deny tonight that he had a huge impact when he came on and I am very happy about that. I found it absolutely fantastic. He has qualities which can be useful on a big pitch like the Nou Camp but first let's focus on Wolves on Saturday."

on Fabregas' booking...
"I think it was a cheap one and I don't know if you can appeal for yellow cards but I don't think he deserved a yellow card."

on Carles Puyol's red card...
"Yes [I thought it was harsh]."

on whether it was a penalty...
"It was so-so."

on Lionel Messi...
"That was a positive sign tonight, he didn't score and didn't create too many chances."

on the size of the task facing Arsenal in the Nou Camp...
"It would be a big achievement but I believe we can do it."

on whether Barcelona will be kicking themselves...
"Yes, certainly they will have that feeling because in the first part of the game they could have killed us off. But don't forget we had many chances - Bendtner had two or three chances. I believe on the counter-attacks over there we can be very dangerous."

on whether it was 'art' at the Emirates...
"It was art. Art of football, but it was art. I think it was a great football night for people who watched the game with two teams who went for it. It was an exceptional football night, of course."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Fabregas ruled out for 'at least six weeks'

Following a scan this afternoon, the Club can confirm that Cesc Fabregas has suffered a small crack in his right fibula as a result of the collision with Barcelona defender Carles Puyol during Wednesday evening’s match.

As a consequence, Cesc will miss the remainder of the domestic campaign as he will be out of action for at least six weeks.

Everyone at the Club wishes Cesc a full and speedy recovery.

----------------------------------

Viel Schlimmer hätts nicht kommen können... unglaublioh...

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Barcelona v Arsenal

UEFA Champions League, Camp Nou

Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 19:45

This may be only the last eight of the Champions League but, for Arsène Wenger, Barcelona are very much the final hurdle.

Arsenal have spent the last decade visiting Europe's elite. In that time they have rattled up some famous wins on the road. Victories at Inter, Milan and Real Madrid represent arguably the Club's finest nights on the Continent. But Barcelona are the biggest scalp.

In the build-up to tonight's tie at the Nou Camp, Wenger admitted Pep Guardiola's side were the best team he had ever faced. After their first-half display at Emirates Stadium last week, it is an entirely understandable view.

The pass-masters were beaten at their own game on their own surface. Ironically both goals by Zlatan Ibrahimovic came from long-balls in the second half. And Arsenal's late comeback leaves them in touch in the tie so a philosophical Wenger sees tonight's tie as a telling stamp in his footballing passport.

"I think we have won away in Europe against all the big clubs and the only place we haven't done it is here," he said.

"But life is about grabbing your opportunities and this team can make history by grabbing the opportunity. I will be especially proud if they do it and I know they will fight for it.

"I have always supported this team even in weak periods of the season because I feel they have some exceptional mental strengths and, of course, they will be needed.

"At the moment Barcelona are the best team in Europe and we have to show that we can beat them. It's important we go there with the right attitude. We know that we have to turn up with 120 per cent commitment, but also intelligence."

Later in his pre-match media work Wenger was asked if like, Cesc Fabregas, he thought Barca were the best team he had faced.

"Yes," he replied, "because they play at a higher pace collectively. And I don't think we have ever been dominated so much at home. Certainly Cesc hasn't! He is used to having the ball.

"I think there was the psychological influence of us being so used to having the ball suddenly not to have the ball, certainly the impression was deeper on the players than it should have been."

Both sides suffered key casualties in last week's game and then were dealt another blow at the weekend. Arsenal lost Cesc Fabregas (cracked fibula), William Gallas and Andrey Arshavin (both calf) to injury on the night. Barcelona saw their two centre backs - Carlos Puyol and Gerard Pique - suspended. Ibrahimovic suffered a calf injury in the warm up to the game against Athletic Bilbao at the Nou Camp on Saturday evening. That came shortly after Alex Song had left Emirates Stadium hobbling. It transpires that the midfielder inflamed knee ligaments in the 1-0 win over Wolves.

Wenger is still sweating on Sol Campbell's hamstring and Tomas Rosicky's knee. But the manager's general demeanour suggested they would start. A late pull-out could be costly, Arsenal's bench is already short on experience and/or match sharpness. Remember, substitutions have been THE defining factor in those late, late wins recently.

"I've never had so many injuries before such a big game," said Wenger. "But that is why football is interesting. It's never boring.

"Also the quality of Barcelona gives me an extra excitement, because we all expect a good game. The first game was very promising and responded to people's expectations. People are waiting with excitement because they know they'll see another interesting game and I'm sure we will."

"Interesting" really does not do justice to tonight. Inspired, emotional or tortuously tense are better labels. Arsenal fans are over here in numbers drinking in the atmosphere.

Barcelona are clear favourites but the visitors have been pulling off the incredible on a weekly basis recently. This, however, would top the lot.

The pessimist can point to that first half when Xavi, Guardiola's little Napoleon, calculated and re-calculated Barca's attacks with frightening speed. Only Manuel Almunia really repelled his army.

The optimist can concentrate at the final 20 minutes when Barcelona were put on the back foot. They appeared to run out of steam and, had Arsenal not been forced to carry the injured Fabregas, they would have gone for the jugular.

"At 2-0 down I felt we needed a miracle," he said. "But I know this team will never give up and knew that when we managed to get through their passing we always looked dangerous. I knew of course we could concede a third or fourth goal against a team like that but I always had hope.

"Now I think the momentum is with us. Barcelona could be disappointed because they were 2-0 up in a Champions League game and when you are pulled back it is very difficult to swallow. If the game had carried on a little bit longer I think we would have won so the key tonight is to start strong."

And to do that you must make sure you are not beaten before you begin.

Barcelona were utterly awesome last week but they did not put Arsenal away. Ironically they can be tried for the same football crime that Wenger's side commit from time to time - playing a beautiful yet wasteful game.

The romance of Nou Camp makes for great copy and Guardiola's men are a wonderful side (getting this far in preview without mention Lionel Messi tells you something of their overall strength). But if Arsenal are to be beaten let it be on the pitch not in the tunnel beforehand.

The final 20 minutes on Wednesday proved the holders can be pressurised and if the visitors begin this game like they finished the last then they can impose themselves.

"I think we were a bit inhibited in the first part of the game and the second half was much more balanced, when we came out and played at our level." said Wenger. "We have to first take into account the psychological part and then get a bit tighter in our marking.

"It's more down to us to turn up and not consider them too much. If we expect them to play weaker, maybe we will have a bad surprise so let's make sure we play better than we did in that first half.

"Last week, we were a little bit victims of the reputation of Barcelona. They have done it, we have not done it so you always make them bigger in our heads and, yes, they were very big."

Tonight, Arsenal attempt to bring Barcelona down to size.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Barcelona 4-1 Arsenal

UEFA Champions League, Camp Nou

Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 19:45

* Messi 21, 37, 42, 87

* Bendtner 18

Arsenal are out of the Champions League. Their challenge foundered at the feet of one man - Lionel Messi.

After Nicklas Bendtner's breakway gave the visitors an unlikely lead in the 18th minute, the little Argentinean artist took control. He whipped in the equaliser three minutes later, swept home a second eight minutes from half time and, best of all, impishly chipped Almunia just before the whistle.

It was a mesmeric hat-trick inside 19 minutes and killed off any chance of progression for Arsène Wenger's team.

Barcelona kept their counsel in the second half. Pep Guardiola shackled his side for the sake of qualification.

Messi fired home a fourth in the dying minutes just to make sure. It meant this memorable tie would not go out with a whimper when it had started with such a bang.

Barcelona's progression is richly deserved, they were the by far the better side over the two legs. But Arsenal pushed them hard during an enthralling 180 minutes.

That two-goal comeback at Emirates Stadium and one-goal lead at Nou Camp says much about Wenger's fledglings.

This second leg might been more interesting had the visitors been blessed with a few less injuries.

Arsenal were beaten tonight and beaten well.

But it is never a disgrace to beaten by the best.

Wenger's team-sheet made difficult reading pre-match. In the first leg he had lost three key players - Cesc Fabregas (broken leg), Andrey Arshavin (calf) and Willam Gallas (calf). Another Alex Song (cartilage) did not make it past the 1-0 victory over Wolves last weekend.

And, most crucially of all, one of the replacements, Sol Campbell, failed a late fitness test on his strained hamstring. At least his deputy Mikael Silvestre had experience at the highest level. Because that was where Arsenal were playing this evening.

Perhaps the absence of Campbell led to the selection of Theo Walcott, perhaps Wenger was going to do it anyway. But it certainly gave the visiting XI as attacking feel. As expected Abou Diaby and Bendtner returned the team.

Barcelona had their share of problems too. No Carlos Puyol, no Gerard Pique, no Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Gabriel Milito and Rafeal Marquez came in at centre back, Bojan Krkic replaced the Swedish striker. As in North London, Thierry Henry was left on the bench.

This was what Champions League football was all about. A magnificent stadium, two great footballing sides, both with realistic ambitions of going through...

... and lots and lot of pressure.

However in contrast to the game at the Emirates Stadium, this encounter started sedately. Yes the opening quarter was all Barcelona but they only conjured a couple of chances and, worringly for Arsenal, Messi was the magician.

His curling cross-shot forced Almunia to stretch his frame and fingertip the ball wide. Then in the 11th minute, he pounced on Gael Clichy's weak clearance and whipped a shot over the angle of post and bar. It rippled the roof of the net on route. If Messi was on the money this evening - the visitors were in trouble.
You really could not see an Arsenal goal. Although they been solid so far, they had not done much going forward.

And then they scored.

In the 18th minute, Diaby thieved the ball in midfield and, with Barcelona horribly overstretched at the back, fed Walcott on the right. He had acres of space to run into and, within seconds, was baring down on keeper Victor Valdes.

The England winger elected to square the ball to onrushing Bendtner. Under pressure from Daniel Alves he could only stumble a shot at Valdes. But the rebound fell kindly and the Dane recovered quickly to stab the ball home.

It was everything Arsenal needed. It gave them momentum, hope and, of course, the lead in the tie.
The feeling lasted less than three minutes.

Messi ran in from the right, straight at the visitors' defence. He lost control but Silvestre's touch acted as a one-two. The Argentinean shrugged off Denilson and crashed a shot into the top right hand corner from just outside the area. A quality strike.

The exchange of goals stoked up a game that needed no more heat.

A Daniel Alves free kick forced an uncomfortable save from Almunia after Denilson had been booked for foul on Messi. A couple of minutes later the striker cut in from the right and teased Silvestre before sending a rasping drive into the sidenetting.

The little maestro had been quiet in London. This evening he was at the hub of everything. It was no surprise, when eight minutes from half time, he scored again.

Sergei Busquets' pass allowed full back Eric Abidal to get behind the Arsenal defence on the left side and he crossed low into the area. Silvestre's stabbed clearance was touched back by Pedro Rodriguez for the scampering Messi. His first touch took him beyond Clichy, his second rammed the ball home.

Arsenal were already suffering at the feet of a master. Five minutes later, he twisted the knife. Abidal's header caught the visiting defence napping and Messi burst through to complete his hat-trick with an cheeky shovel shot over Almunia.

The first half had been a exquisite exhibition of football by Messi and it was little wonder that, when it ended, the cavernous Nou Camp resounded with chants of his name.

Arsenal seemed to be in the impossible position of having to attack a side who seemed fully capable of picking them off.

But they did their best to impose themselves and Guardiola's concern was clear when he replaced striker Krkic with Yaya Toure, a defensive midfielder, 10 minutes after the restart.

The Barcelona coach was not settling. He was sitting and waiting for Arsenal. Wenger's men did come forward but in a considered, cautious way. It was entirely understandable.

On the hour Diaby's pass found Bendtner momentarily on the penalty spot but Marquez timed his challenge perfectly.

Arsenal were forcing themselves on Barcelona a bit more but not enough to prise an opening.
Wenger replaced Silvestre with Eboue and moved Sagna into central defence alongside Thomas Vermaelen. But by now Barcelona were withdrawn. Their commitment to going forward had flagged for the first time in the tie.

Diaby's raking cross-ball found Rosicky at far post but his first-time shot flew horribly high. Barcelona might have extinguished any hope when Messi's quick free-kick caught out the Arsenal defence and Pedro's lob drifted just wide.

Just before Eduardo replaced the tiring Rosicky, Bendtner headed the ball against the post. However he had been flagged offside. Fifteen minutes from time, Clichy strode forward and cracked a shot over the bar when he should have opted for Eduardo on the left.

The noise at the Nou Camp grew as the minutes ticked away. Barcelona were seeing off the game with composure, Arsenal seemed spent.

When Maxwell tested Almunia at the near post it was the home side's first real chance of the half.
But you almost knew Messi would have one last occasion.

It arrived in the 88th minute.

With Arsenal undermanned at the back, he weaved through Eboue and Vermaelen only to see his first shot beaten away.

His second went through the keeper's legs.

Messi 4 Arsenal 1.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger: 'We have to recover quickly'

On Lionel Messi's four goals...
"First I want to congratulate Barcelona and wish them good luck. They over the two games they deserved to qualify. They are a very good side but of course they have Messi who can make a difference at any moment in the game. He can take advantage of every mistake we make."

On his team's performance...
"I believe we played quite well. We started strong, had a good opportunity to score the second goal and were a bit unlucky because we had a good chance when Bendtner was not offside. The regret I have is that we made too many mistakes defensively for a game like that. They were always first on the ball and we were punished for it."

On if Barcelona will win the Champions League...
"They are in the Semi-Final and they have a chance to win it. They have players coming back and I believe they are the best side at the moment in Europe. It is a cup and if we had taken every opportunity tonight we could have made life very difficult for them."

On if he is worried that Arsenal's title challenge might suffer...
"Of course you worry because it is a big disappointment and we have to recover quickly because we cannot drop any points. That is why we have to recover and try to focus on the Premier League completely."

On if Barcelona's quick response after going 1-0 down decided the tie...
"I feel before they equalised we had a great chance to score the second goal but we made a bad decision with the final ball. Had we scored then the doubt would have been serious. They came back straight after that to 1-1."

On if White Hart Lane is the best or worst place to have the next match...
"For us over the years it has been a place where we have done well so we will not go there with a negative history. But it forces you to focus straight away because you know that it will be a derby."

On if he needs a new centre-back...
"It is a question that is very difficult to answer because at the moment that is not the priority. The priority tonight is to recover from the game. We have played quite well with a lot of character, as ever, but we made too many mistakes. Silvestre and Campbell are two good players. That is why the choice [of who to play] is difficult."

On if Messi is one of football's all-time greats...
"I don't know. He is very young but he can achieve a lot. For example I don't know how many players in the world who could score that fourth goal he scored. It looks impossible but he makes it possible. He has something exceptional and he is in his prime. This boy now has six or seven years in front of him and if nothing happens to him he can reach unbelievable levels."

On his side's chances over the two legs...
"If you look at the age of our team we were very, very young today. What we have done is very positive because we had six or seven players under 23 in the team and we had plenty of opportunities. Where we have shown that we lack maturity is in the final ball."

On the defeat...
"The defeat is very difficult to handle because when you go out of the Champions League the next day you are in front of a very empty future. We have to deal with the disappointment and make sure that we are ready for the next game."

On if there is a shift away from English domination in the Champions League...
"It is a good question that Manchester United has to answer tomorrow. You have more teams in Europe now who can compete with English sides, that is for sure. That was not the case two or three years ago. We have more competition."

On what he said to Pep Guardiola after the game...
"I congratulated him and wished him well for the rest of the competition."

On if there is more to Barcelona than Messi...
"Barcelona is more than Messi. They have other players in the team who are top class. They are an exceptional team with an exceptional player and in the exceptional games the exceptional players make the difference."

On how much Arsenal missed Cesc Fabregas...
"It is difficult to know how much we missed Fabregas. Tonight we missed seven or eight players but if you asked me before the game I would love to have Fabregas."

On if Arsenal gave Barcelona too much respect...
"No. I don't think we gave them too much respect tonight. We started well, we won some good possession from Barcelona and we dominated through some spells in the game. They are a good side. In the first game, yes [we respected them too much] but I don't think we did tonight."

On if he might be tempted to dip into the transfer market this summer...
"We are at a stage where we develop the players. Today in midfield we had Walcott who is 21, Bendtner up front who is 22, Nasri, Diaby and Denilson are 23, 22. I think they have shown some great qualities and will be stronger every year. We have to add something that is for sure but we have some time to think about that."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Clichy - English clubs need winter break

Gael Clichy believes English clubs are handicapped in Europe because they do not have the luxury of a winter break.

The Premier League will not have a representative in the Semi-Finals of the Champions League for the first time in seven years after Arsenal and Manchester United were eliminated from the competition in midweek.

This year’s European champions will come instead from Spain, France, Germany or Italy – countries whose top-flight clubs take a rest at the turn of the year.

Clichy acknowledges that Arsenal were beaten fair and square by an outstanding Barcelona side in their Quarter-Final but he insists that the fatigue factor leaves English clubs at a disadvantage in the latter stages of the season.

“I think it is a blow for English football [not to have a representative in the Champions League] but at the same time we are the only championship in Europe who are not having a rest during Christmas,” Clichy told Arsenal.com.

“I don’t want to hide behind anything but when you are having two weeks off during Christmas you have time to recover, but we are playing game after game every three days and so of course you are going to get injuries.

“If you look at the Barcelona game we had six or seven players out who could have been in the starting XI. That shows you that at the end of the season whether you are Chelsea, Manchester United or Arsenal, English football suffers a little bit because we played so many games.

“We like playing on Boxing Day but it can be difficult.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Blackburn Rovers v Arsenal - Date changed

Arsenal Football Club have been informed by the Premier League that the away trip to Blackburn Rovers, orginally scheduled for Saturday, May 1, match will now be played as under:

Blackburn Rovers v Arsenal
Barclays Premier League
Monday 3rd May 2010
Kick off 5.00pm

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Van Persie back in squad for Tottenham game bluebang

Robin Van Persie is back in the Arsenal squad for the North London derby at Tottenham.

The Dutch striker has been sidelined since mid-November with ankle ligament damage but is expected to feature at White Hart Lane on Wednesday night - albeit from the substitutes bench.

"He is in the squad for tomorrow's game," revealed Arsène Wenger at his pre-match press conference.

"It's a bit premature maybe [for Van Persie to start the game] so I will see but he is in the squad. I haven't picked the team yet.

"When I pick a player it means he is fit and sharp and has worked very hard. Of course he lacks match-practice but physically he is ready, he is fit."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Injured Song ruled out for next two games

Alex Song will miss Arsenal's next two games.

The versatile Cameroon international was a surprise absentee when Arsène Wenger's side travelled to Barcelona last week after a scan showed an inflamed cartilage in his knee.

Song was hoping to return for Wednesday's North London derby at Tottenham but he is now likely to miss that game and the trip to Wigan on Sunday as well.

"Song is out. Definitely out," confirmed Wenger at his pre-match press conference.

"He looks like he will be out for the whole week and over the weekend he will not play as well."

Meanwhile Andrey Arshavin and William Gallas are both nursing calf injuries and Wenger is not sure when either player will be back.

"Arshavin is out. [It could be the] Man City [game] for him, but I don't think he will make it," said the manager.

"Gallas is not available for the next two or three weeks. I don't know [if he will play again this season]. I hope so, but it will be short for him."

For the record, Arsenal's other injured players at present are Cesc Fabregas, Kieran Gibbs, Aaron Ramsey and Johan Djourou.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - The reasons why Fabregas will stay

Arsène Wenger has strongly refuted rumours that Cesc Fabregas has played his last game for Arsenal, adding that those who leave North London tend to regret it.

Over the weekend, the Spanish international was, yet again, linked with a transfer to Spain in the summer. Having cracked a bone in his leg a fortnight ago against Barcelona - ironically, a suggested target - a move would mean the midfielder's seven-year career with Arsenal was already at a close.

However, speaking ahead of Wednesday's trip to Tottenham, Wenger put forward robust reasoning why his skipper would stay.

"Some people try to be specialists at making players unhappy," said the manager. "But up till now, all of the players who have left have wanted to come back so that means they are not as unhappy as they sometimes look.

"I believe that this team is on the way up. We don't work for four or five years with young players, stand up for them, let them come through and, when they are ready to perform, sell them. That would be irresponsible. But I cannot stop them from talking in Spain."

Apart from the emotional arguments, Wenger also put forward some grounded reasons why Fabregas would still be at Emirates Stadium next season.

"You want to see the length of his contract?" asked the manager. "The players who are at the end of their contract can sign where they want but, with the players under contract, we decide on their future.

"We are not under any financial need, we are well-managed and that gives you one luxury in that you can decide about the future of your players.

"Secondly, we want to be a better team next year than we have been this year and that means we always want to keep our best players."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - I haven't decided on Sol contract

Arsène Wenger is yet to decide whether or not to hand Sol Campbell a contract for next season.

The defender re-joined Arsenal on a short-term deal in January and has already made nine first-team appearances for the Gunners.

The 35-year-old is expected to start against Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday and ahead of the game Wenger was asked if Campbell is likely to be given a new deal for next season.

"I don't know yet," he responded. "I don't want officially to commit on that because I don't know what I will do.

"At the start he came to ask me if I could help him to get fit. Now he plays tomorrow against Tottenham. So that doesn't mean he has signed a contract for next season.

"Maybe he will not want to play, I don't know what I will want to do. At the moment we have short-term targets."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Fit Van Persie would be world great

Robin Van Persie would be considered a world great had he stayed fit this season, according to Arsène Wenger.

The Arsenal manager made that bold declaration as he prepared to welcome the Dutch forward back into his squad for Wednesday's North London derby at Tottenham after a five-month lay-off.

Van Persie took time to acclimatise to his new centre-forward role at the start of the campaign but he clicked in September and had scored eight goals in 11 games before being cut off in his prime by injury in November.

The exploits of Lionel Messi and Wayne Rooney have lit up the 2009/10 campaign in Van Persie's absence but Wenger insists that the 26-year-old can be just as effective as that exalted duo - if only he had stayed fit to continue his flying start to the season.

"That is the biggest frustration because he had started to compete as one of the best players in the world and suddenly he was out," said Wenger.

"You would have talked about Van Persie [like Messi, Rooney and Ronaldo], of that I am sure. Of course.

"Robin is a leader because he has a football brain and is a football thinker. All his vibes are in the game. He is a winner and he has matured a lot in the last three or four years as well."

Van Persie suffered ankle ligament damage while playing for Holland in an international friendly but he now looks on course to represent his country at this summer's World Cup. Given Van Persie's misfortune in November, does that worry Wenger?

"I got slaughtered because I played William Gallas in the Quarter-Final of the Champions League and we have lost Robin in a friendly game for the whole season. What can you do about that?" replied Wenger.

"What is important is that we get him back and I believe that we can have a go until the end of the season and hopefully have a big challenge next year."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - No developments in Gallas talks

Arsène Wenger admits there is "no news" to report on William Gallas' future at Arsenal.

The French centre back's current deal expires this summer and he was in talks over a new contract until Wenger put negotiations on hold at the end of last month to focus on a flurry of games at home and in Europe.

With Arsenal emerging from that period of fixture congestion, the manager was asked at his pre-match press conference about any developments over a potential new deal for Gallas.

"No, there is no news," replied Wenger.

"There's no impasse and no agreement."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Arsenal

Barclays Premier League, White Hart Lane

Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 20:00

* Rose 10,
* Bale 47

* Bendtner 85

Arsenal's Premier League title hopes are all but over.

Arsène Wenger's side went down 2-1 to Tottenham at White Hart Lane on Wednesday evening and are now six points behind leaders Chelsea with only a maximum of 12 available.

A thunderous 30-yard volley from Danny Rose set the tone for the night after only 10 minutes. Despite pressing their hosts, Arsenal suffered another blow when Thomas Vermaelen hobbled off injured shortly afterwards.

Gareth Bale slotted home a second two minutes after the restart to give Tottenham breathing space. Arsenal kept forcing themselves forward but they only found a cutting edge when Robin Van Persie was introduced with 22 minutes left.

His free-kick produced a fantastic save from Heurelho Gomes, as did Sol Campbell's close-range header. Nicklas Bendtner forced home Theo Walcott's low cross to give Arsenal hope five minutes from the end. The visitors kept pressing until the end but time ran out.

This was Arsenal's first Premier League defeat to Tottenham since 1999. Any reverse to local rivals is painful but given the unbeaten run and the state of the title race, this will be very difficult to take.

As ever, the immediate reaction will be anger and frustration but, once that has subsided, you would hope fans will realise the strides the side have made this season.

Arsenal have remained in the title race until the last month of 2009/10 sesaon. Next year they will be back and, on the strength of this campaign, they will be better.

The headline team news had been known for some time and, even though he only made the bench, it was great to see Van Persie back in an Arsenal shirt once again.

The other notable name, for the home fans at least, was Campbell. He replaced Mikael Silvestre from the team beaten so badly at Barcelona eight days earlier while Emmanuel Eboue came in for Theo Walcott on the right side of midfield.

Of course, Tottenham's last defeat had been more recent and more surprising. Harry Redknapp made a number of changes to the side that lost that FA Cup Semi-Final to Portsmouth so late on Sunday.

The most eye-catching saw midfielder Rose came in for his Premier League debut and Ledley King return after a seven-week absence.

The atmosphere was everything you expected as the teams came out. But apart from the usual red-hot rivalry, both teams knew their competitive seasons were reliant on a win tonight. Something had to give.

The early butterflies had barely dissipated when Arsenal nearly took the lead. In the second minute, Bale gave away a corner on the right. Campbell thundered in and deflected it goalward via his knee. The effort trickled past the outstretched hand of Gomes but Benoit Assou-Ekotto crouched down to chest the ball back into the grateful arms of the keeper.

Campbell had already drawn the boos of the home crowd, as he would all game. A scuffled, stolen goal from their former captain would have cranked the intensity still further.

Arsenal were doing all the attacking. Samir Nasri had a shot blocked and then Eboue danced through only for the sliding Michael Dawson to smother a tentative shot from Tomas Rosicky.

But Spurs would respond. In the ninth minute, they worked the ball to Younes Kaboul on the right and Roman Pavlyuchenkco's near-post shot was deflected over the bar by Vermaelen.

Bale's corner was punched well clear by Almunia but it was met on the volley by Rose. His long-range, left-foot shot flew over the Arsenal defence and into the back of the net. It was a bolt from the blue in every sense.

Arsenal were rocked but they responded. Clichy crossed for Bendtner to grapple past his marker and nod wide.

However, in the 18th minute, they suffered another blow. Under no pressure in his own half, Vermaelen booted the ball out of play, went down on his knees and called for the physio. His game was over and Silvestre came on.

As the first half reached its midway point, Arsenal could be pleased with their approach play and may have convincingly argued that their setbacks were beyond their control. But with so little time to go in the season and so much at stake, they simply had recover.

They did exactly that. The visitors dominated the second quarter of the game. Spurs were penned back and struggled to get the ball. Arsenal had pressure and possession but could not cut through.

Their best effort came in the 34th minute when Campbell nodded the ball back into the path of Rosicky, whose drive nutmegged Dawson but was blocked by King.

Tottenham clawed their way back into game as the whistle approached. Rose tested Almunia at the near post then Modric burst through challenges from Clichy and the sprawling Almunia before Campbell cleared the danger.

Rose may have made the difference in the first half but he did not reappear after restart. David Bentley was his replacement.

Within two minutes, Tottenham had that vital second goal. Defoe was allowed to turn near the left-hand byline and his simple, straightforward cross-field ball found Bale at the far post. The unmarked Welsh midfielder, who had been played onside by Sagna on the right, gleefully slid home his shot between Almunia and the upright.

It was a horrible goal to concede and one that could haunt Arsenal's season. The visitors now needed three goals in 40 minutes to keep pace with Chelsea.

Not surprisingly Tottenham were now instilled with confidence and began push forward themselves.

Wenger's reply was to introduce Walcott for Sagna and push Eboue to right back. It made an immediate difference.

Arsenal found the England international whenever they could but, as they had all night, Tottenham stayed firm. And, of course, the home side knew Wenger's side had to attack them.

Effectively this was now cup football.

In the 65th minute, Walcott slid a pass down the right-hand channel and Bendtner fired a fierce shot across the face of goal.

A couple of minutes later Wenger introduced Van Persie for Denilson. It smacked of a gamble but the Arsenal manager had little choice.

Tottenham made a simultaneous substitution - Eidur Gudjohnsen for Defoe - and the Icelander might have ended the argument immediately but he miscued his shot from Assou-Ekotto's right wing cross.

Arsenal had all the urgency you could wish for but, to this point, Gomes had barely been called into serious action all night. The visitors had been passing and probing and probing and passing - but with little end result.

That changed with 11 minutes left. Diaby flicked a ball into the area, Van Persie chested it down and sent backward volley goalward. Gomes made a great reaction save.

Seconds later, Rosicky's deflected effort trickled wide. A heart-in-mouth moment for the home side.

Arsenal were on the offensive and Gomes now took centre stage. First he brilliantly tipped away a curling free-kick from Van Persie. Then he diverted Campbell's header onto his own bar. In keeping with Arsenal's night it bounced away to safety.

They visitors were now desperate. They needed a goal. They got one.

In the 85th minute, Walcott found width on the right and cross low into the area for Bendtner to stab home. The Dane collected the ball and raced back to the centre circle, the visitors had the scent of a comeback.

Van Persie forced another full-length save from Gomes with a couple of minutes.

But it was too little too late for Arsenal. Tottenham had done a sterling job of keeping them at distance throughout the game.

They traversed the last few minutes with little real alarm.

----------------------------

Das war nun wohl entgültig.... frown

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Vermaelen out for 'two to three weeks'

Thomas Vermaelen will be sidelined for "two to three weeks" after suffering a calf injury during the North London derby.

The Belgian defender pulled up after 19 minutes of the 2-1 defeat against Tottenham on Wednesday night and was immediately substituted.

Vermaelen has only missed one Premier League game this season - and that was due to suspension - but he is certainly out of this weekend's trip to Wigan and the home game against Manchester City on April 24.

"Certainly it is a calf strain. [He will be out for] two to three weeks," confirmed Arsène Wenger after the Tottenham game.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wigan Athletic 3-2 Arsenal

Barclays Premier League, The DW Stadium

Sunday, April 18, 2010, 13:30

* Watson 80,
* Bramble 88,
* N'Zogbia 90

* Walcott 41,
* Silvestre 48

Wigan killed off Arsenal's remaining title hopes with an incredible three-goal comeback in the last 10 minutes at the DW Stadium on Sunday.

At 2-0, Arsène Wenger's side were cruising and apparently going just three points adrift of leaders Chelsea with three games to play. Though the visitors struggled to raise their game in the first half-hour, Theo Walcott stabbed them in front just before the break. When Mikael Silvestre added another three minutes after the restart, Arsenal seemed to be clinging on to their title hopes by their fingertips.

However 10 minutes from time, Ben Watson scored from close range. Then, with seconds remaining, Lukasz Fabianski spilled a corner and Titus Bramble nodded home virtually on the goal-line.

Finally, in injury time, Charles N'Zogbia curled in a classy shot from long-range.

If Arsenal had been shocked at Tottenham on Wednesday, they were stunned here this afternoon.

Mathematically, they can still catch Chelsea but, right now, Wenger's men surely need just the most straightforward of wins.

They thought they had that today. But, yet again, it was not to be.

This was another deeply disappointing day for Arsenal Football Club.

Wenger made four changes from the side whose title hopes seemed to have taken a terminal turn at Tottenham on Wednesday.

The most notable was the inclusion of Fabianski, who took over in goal because Manuel Almunia was struggling with a wrist injury. Denilson had picked up a groin injury at White Hart Lane so Craig Eastmond filled the holding midfield role. Sadly Thomas Vermaelen's season had ended at the same venue so Silvestre joined captain Sol Campbell at centre back.

The only unenforced change was Walcott for Eboue on the right hand side of midfield. Despite his late cameo in midweek, Robin Van Persie began on the bench.

Chelsea's defeat at Tottenham on Saturday had hardly handed back Arsenal all their title aspirations. But it meant victory today could at least close the gap to a more manageable margin.

With just three games to go, the Stamford Bridge side still had all the cards in their favour. Arsenal, let alone second-place Manchester United, just had to win and hope.

However in the early stages it seemed that Wenger's men had left their endeavour at White Hart Lane. The visitors struggled to raise themselves and Wigan showed more going forward.

In the eighth minute Watson fired a corner through the six-yard area and the ball just evaded the sliding Hugo Rodallega at the far post. Shortly afterwards Marcelo Moreno helped set up N'Zogbia to fire a cross-shot just wide.

Arsenal were second gear. Without the probing of the Premier League title race, it seemed they just could not get their game going.

Bendtner scuffed corner towards the far post and Clichy swung his leg at a free-kick. Both were simplistically scooped up by Wigan keeper Chris Kirkland.

In the 24th minute, Campbell slid a header wide from Walcott's free-kick. It was the Arsenal's first genuine chance of the game.

But many more would follow straight away.

Just past the half-hour, Walcott burst through on the right and crossed into a crowded area when everyone expected him to the dink the ball home over Kirkland. It was a good opening frittered away but it did at least suggest Arsenal had finally woken up.

Four minutes before the break, they took the lead.

Bendtner sent Walcott clear through the centre with Bramble in hot pursuit. The England international kept his balance and held his nerve to steer a low shot into the far corner.

Walcott had been Arsenal's brightest spark throughout the first half and he nearly doubled their advantage just before the whistle.

Bendtner robbed Bramble on the halfway line and backheeled the ball to Walcott. He collected and teased Steve Gohouri before prodding a cross-shot inches wide.

Arsenal went into the tunnel with the lead but, in a very average game, their display had been...well... average.

In fact the first five minutes of the second half had more action than the whole of the first 45.

Within seconds of the start, Nasri hauled back Watson as he traversed the area. The incident was right in front of Lee Mason but the referee waved play on.

Arsenal went straight down the other end and Bendtner set up Diaby but the Frenchman was denied at the far post.

His second effort went out for a corner. Nasri swung it over and Silvestre rose unmarked to steer home a header. It was the Frenchman's first goal since this fixture last April.

Then in the 50th minute, N'Zogbia burst into the area but shot tamely at Fabianski. A massive miss.

It had been a lightning start and, understandably, the pace dropped. Wigan were more willing to go forward but now Arsenal had the confidence of that two-goal cushion.

The best Wigan could muster was when Rodallega evaded Campbell for a second and could only trickle a shot wide. Then Watson forced Fabianski into a fine low save.

Arsenal were in control but, at the same time, their attacking was now down to trickle. They were trying to cruise home. And with 10 minutes left, they got caught.

Substitute Victor Moses drove to the byline and cut the ball back to the area. Watson arrived on cue to slam it into the net.

Suddenly Wigan were a team possessed. N'Zogbia reached the same byline and cut the ball back only for Fabianski to intercept.

Seconds later, Watson's nodded a corner towards the far post and Nasri booted the ball off the line.

Just before the whistle N'Zogbia fired over another flag kick and Fabianski spilled it on to Bramble's head. The ball had clearly bounced over the line before Eastmond booted it away.

It was already an incredible turnaround but there was more twist to come.

Deep into injury time N'Zogbia collected the ball in midfield and, as the Arsenal defence backed off, he curled his shot into the far corner from 25 yards.

The home fans were delirious. This result all but assures their Premier League status.

Arsenal were shell-shocked. Back-to-back defeats are rare enough for Wenger's men, as indeed are losses to Tottenham, but this had been one hell of a way to drop out of the title race.

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - Chamakh has a good chance to join us

Arsène Wenger has admitted that there is "a good chance" Marouane Chamakh will start next season as an Arsenal player.

The Bordeaux striker has netted 15 times for his current club this season, including five goals in the Champions League. He has been heavily linked with a move to Arsenal since last summer and with his current contract drawing to an end, he will be available on a free transfer in June.

Chamakh has reportedly confirmed that Emirates Stadium is his first-choice destination and Wenger admits there is a good chance the Moroccan will move to Arsenal.

"We will announce the deals after the league [finishes]," he said.

"He is one of the players who has a good chance to join us."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Song could return for Manchester City game

Alex Song may return for the visit of Manchester City on Saturday evening.

The midfielder, who has missed the last three games with an inflamed cartilage, faces a fitness test on Friday.

The inclusion of the Cameroon international is the only major change possible from the squad that lost at Wigan last Sunday. That is because Andrey Arshavin (calf), Manuel Almunia (wrist) and Denilson (groin) are still out.

“Maybe Song [could be off the injury list],” Wenger told TV Online on Thursday. “He has a test tomorrow and we’ll see. He is a question mark.

“Apart from that, nobody is back. Andrey Arshavin is out. Everyone else - Gallas, Almunia, Denilson - is still out too.”

Meanwhile Kieran Gibbs (foot) and Johan Djourou (knee) are approaching fitness after long-term injuries. However Wenger believes only the latter has a possibility of playing again this season.

“Djourou has a little chance,” he said. “But Gibbs will be very short.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Arshavin has 'a little chance' for Blackburn

Andrey Arshavin has only “a little chance” of returning to the Arsenal squad for the trip to Blackburn on Monday.

The Arsenal midfielder, who has been out with a calf problem since the Champions League Quarter-Final first leg against Barcelona, was hoping to return at Ewood Park on Monday. However now his involvement must be classed as doubtful.

That was Arsène Wenger’s most notable injury news when he spoke to Arsenal TV Online on Thursday afternoon. The manager reported “no big injuries” from last week’s draw against Manchester City. Kieran Gibbs and Johan Djourou have joined in training again but they are unlikely to be used this season.

“From last Sunday we have no big injuries,” said Wenger. “Everybody is available and Robin Van Persie recovered quite well from his first complete 90 minutes.

“Arshavin has a little chance to be back in the squad. Denilson, Almunia and, of course, Fabregas, Gallas and Vermaelen are all still out.

“Gibbs and Djourou are back in the training squad. So for us it is a good period. We could start the season again!”

“They could figure if they are needed numbers-wise but otherwise they will not play.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Denilson ruled out for rest of season

Denilson will miss Arsenal's final two fixtures of the season.

The midfielder missed the trip to Wigan and the home clash with Manchester City due to a groin problem and will not be fit in time to face Blackburn Rovers or Fulham, according to Arsène Wenger.

"Denilson is out until the end of the season," said the manager at his press conference at Emirates Stadium on Thursday afternoon.

"Like Vermaelen and Gallas, they will not come back for the final two games, Fabregas also."

The manager went on to confirm what he had already told Arsenal TV Online earlier in the day regarding the fitness of Andrey Arshavin, who has a calf injury.

"Arshavin will be a bit short for Blackburn. I think he will be fit for the final game of the season. [He has] an outside chance for Blackburn."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - We’ll sign a player before June 11

Arsène Wenger has confirmed that Arsenal will sign a new player by the time the World Cup starts.

With just two games to go in the Premier League season, transfer rumours are already filling the back pages. As you would expect the Frenchman refused to name any targets but he did reveal he would “certainly” bring in a new face before the tournament begins in South Africa on June 11.

“We have a basic squad and I believe in the squad I have,” he said. “But if I can make an addition – two or three maximum – then we will do it.

“I will try to do what I want to do as quickly as possible but I am not the only decider. It doesn’t only depend on me.

“Ideally, you would want to do the job before the World Cup. It is difficult to give yourself the right timing.

“Certainly, we will announce one player before the World Cup. After that we will see.”

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - My doubts over Arshavin quit story

Arsène Wenger is highly sceptical over quotes attributed to Andrey Arshavin that suggested the Russian midfielder had his heart set on a move to Barcelona.

This week the 28-year-old was reported to have said it would be the “pinnacle of his career” to play for the Spanish champions at some point. However at his press conference on Thursday afternoon, the Arsenal manager said these words were not supported by Arshavin’s actions.

In fact Wenger believes the player’s real feelings may have been lost in translation.

"Yes, I’m very disappointed [by this story] because he shows a completely different attitude [to me],” said the manager. “He wants to extend his contract with us and stay with us so the noise coming out of Russia is very difficult to explain. He looks to be very happy here.

"You should ask him where it comes from,” Wenger told journalists. “Usually you have direct access to him, you can ask him where that comes from. I don’t forbid you to talk to him. But I take with a little bit of distance what comes back translated sometimes with the help of some agents who want to move the players.

"I think everybody has the freedom to speak but you want to make sure first of all that you respect your club. I just put a question mark on the things that come back translated.”

However while the authenticity of the quotes were in doubt, Wenger made it clear he would not tolerate any player expressing a desire to leave so openly.

“We do not of course accept that,” he said. “When you are at Arsenal you are at Arsenal. When you are somewhere else you are somewhere else. I believe that your pride mean that first you defend your club."

braumi Offline OP
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
OP Offline
Forums-Oesi
Wettprofi
Wenger - If Gallas leaves we sign a defender

Arsène Wenger will spend the next few weeks assessing the defensive options he will have available next season - and the manager admits that if William Gallas leaves, Arsenal will sign a new defender.

The 32-year-old's current deal expires this summer and while negotiations are continuing over a new contract, there has been no agreement yet.

Sol Campbell and Mikael Silvestre also hold contracts that expire in the summer and Wenger admits it is important to get the balance right in the squad.

However, the manager has been boosted by the return to full training of Johan Djourou, who has been unable to make a competitive appearance so far this season.

Wenger accepts that he will have to wait and see how well the Swiss international recovers from his knee injury, but for now the focus remains on Gallas' future.

"What is for sure if Gallas doesn't extend his contract we have to go out and strengthen this position," said the manager. "For the rest we will see.

"There is a cut off point for Gallas. It doesn't depend only on me. Gallas can come and say 'Boss we will stop the talks because I signed somewhere and that's it'.

"I could set a deadline for us and that will certainly be before the end of May because we then have to look for someone else. We have more talks planned.

"I still have to assess the Gallas and Campbell situations. Silvestre is out of contract too and the whole package has to be right - one goes, one stays. We have to get the number right.

"If Gallas and Campbell stay it will depend slightly on how well Djourou comes back about what we will do. He looks good in training, quite positive."

Seite 40 von 41 1 2 38 39 40 41

Moderated by  toubi 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Winamax VfB Stuttgart
Winamax VfB Stuttgart VIP Tickets Gewinnspiel
Gewinnspiele
500 € Tippspiel EUROPA-Torschützen.
von pik7 - 12/04/2024 08:25
550 € DFB-Pokal Torschützencup 23/24
von pik7 - 05/04/2024 20:19
Betano - Welcome
Wer ist jetzt online
16 members (dragoon, Hackentrick, BjoernT4Y, Bambi, Haiefan, Flip160, kafi112, Martini, grottenoli, Nick89), 1,475 Gäste, und 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Poster(30 Tage)
Haiefan 90
pik7 46
Forum Statistiken
Forum25
Themen1,439
Beiträge121,256
Mitglieder3,864
Am meisten online8,723
Feb 16th, 2016
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Spielen mit Verantwortung - Responsible Gaming
Wetten Sie nicht über ihre Verhältnisse.

Wenn Sie oder jemanden, den Sie kennen, ein Problem mit Spielsucht hat, raten wir Ihnen, dass Sie Hilfe von einer dieser anerkannten Organisationen in Betracht ziehen:

18+ Glücksspiel kann süchtig machen - Hilfe finden Sie auf www.bzga.de

Gamblers Anonymous
Webseite www.gamblersanonymous.org

Gambling Therapy
Webseite www.gamblingtherapy.org

Weiterführende Links finden Sie auch außerdem weiter unten bei unseren Partnerseiten.

Unsere Partner & Links:
Bundesliga Tippspiel - Forum Gluecksspielsucht - gamCare - begambleaware - Wettbonus - Wettbasis - Flashscore
DATENSCHUTZ
IMPRESSUM