A step in the right direction

Author: NFFC

Nottingham Forest manager Dougie Freedman says last night’s 3-0 win at Stevenage provided him with encouraging signs ahead of the new season.

Goals from Matt Mills, Henri Lansbury and Jack Hobbs were enough for Forest to earn victory at the Lamex Stadium and Freedman was pleased with the response from his squad following their testing pre-season schedule in Sweden.

Speaking to Forest Player, he said: “It was a very good performance and one that I expected from this group of players. We’ve worked very hard over the last couple of weeks but I felt that we were well-rested and the energy levels were good with some excellent patterns of play.

“This has been a real mental test for the players. Stepping off a plane from Sweden and coming down to Stevenage is a test of their attitude and we need to continue to build that resilient streak into the players.”

With only 20 days to go until the season’s curtain-raiser at Brighton and Hove Albion, Freedman said he is happy with the amount of progression his squad is making but admits he may have to make some additions.

He said: “I think some of our approach play was very good and we actually deserved to score more goals. At the end of the day though, whoever scores is irrelevant to me. It is about seeing the team play in a certain style and making sure they look like a team.

“We were a lot more solid and we controlled the ball in the middle of the park much better. We stood up to everything Stevenage threw at us and we’ve come away with a clean sheet in the bag and some good goals.

“We’re three weeks away from the start of the season and there will be another couple of fresh faces coming into the team. I think that can only be a good thing for the football club but, overall, I’m pleased with the direction we’re heading in.”

Quelle: nottinghamforest.co.uk