Plenty of options

Posted: Wed 23 Sep 2015
Author: Nick Richardson

Nottingham Forest forward Dexter Blackstock believes any combination of the club’s attacking players can ‘work together’

Manager Dougie Freedman has assembled a squad which possesses a potent attacking threat and a variety of styles.

And, ahead of Thursday night’s trip to Huddersfield, Blackstock says he and his fellow attackers accept that each match places different demands on the squad.

He told Forest Player HD: “I think any combination can work together, it’s just for which games and which formations – that’s for the manager to decide.

“He has a lot of knowledge of this league. He knows our and the opposition players inside out, therefore he can pick a team to combat theirs. That’s why there’s rotation.

“Because he has faith that the squad is very strong all the way through he can replace like for like with the same quality and get good results.

“It’s good to know that the manager backs the full squad.”

Freedman’s willingness to utilise all of his options paid off when his team claimed back-to-back away victories against Queens Park Rangers and Birmingham City.

Blackstock was an unused substitute at Loftus Road as fellow forward Nelson Oliveira scored a late winner on his debut, but the Antiguan played the hero three days later when he started the match and scored the winning goal at St Andrew’s.

And Blackstock knows what was key to those away victories as he and his team-mates prepare to hunt down a third consecutive win on the road.

He said: “Our resilience was second to none, especially when we were leading in those games and having to hold on.

“We showed good character and team spirit, something we’ve got in abundance at the minute. I think that’s one of the key things you need to be successful in this division.

“I think Huddersfield will be a good side. They’ll have confidence coming off the back of some good results. They’re dangerous.

“If they play to their best and we’re not at our best we’ll lose the game, and vice versa – if we’re anywhere near our levels, we’ll win the game.”

Quelle: nottinghamforest.co.uk