We showed we could win it

Posted: Sat 30 Jan 2016
Author: Nick Richardson

Nottingham Forest manager Dougie Freedman believes his side deserved more from this afternoon’s Emirates FA Cup fourth-round match against Watford.

The Reds were stunned by a clinical Odion Ighalo goal in the 89th minute as they lost 1-0 at The City Ground.

But Freedman believes his team deserved to be in the draw for the fifth round.

The manager said: "Overall I think we have contributed to a fantastic game today. In the first half we stood off a little bit too much - I think we paid them too much respect, although saying that we had the best chance of the game in the 45th minute.

"Second half we got at them and showed we could win this tie. We moved up a gear, had some exciting moments and created enough chances to win the game but half a chance and Watford have got the winner.

"Did they deserve it? No they didn’t. But as long as I can see commitment in our performances we’ll keep on marching forward.”

Freedman insists his side can’t dwell on the defeat, but also says there were positives to come from the game.

He said: "David Vaughan was the Man of the Match by far - fantastic display. He controlled the whole game in and out of possession today.

"It’s just so pleasingg for me to see young Oliver Burke, Jorge Grant and Ben Osborn in a cup tie on that pitch at the same time. There are some positives to come out of it - they will get better for it, we will learn from it and keep on progressing."

Read more at https://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/a...XvdzxrICafW1.99