Quality is not enough

Posted: Thu 01 Oct 2015
Author: Nick Richardson

Nottingham Forest forward Nelson Oliveira says he has learned ‘quality is not enough’ to be successful in English football.

The 24-year-old recently commenced his second spell on these shores by joining Forest on loan from Benfica, a season after he made ten Premier League appearances for Swansea City.

And Oliveira, who has also played in the Portuguese, French and Spanish top flights and at a European Championships, believes you need more than just ability to impress in his current environment.

He told Forest Player HD: “Here, quality is not enough. You have to be physically prepared to play 90 minutes with intensity. We have to work hard during the week to perform well in the match.

“It’s true that the football in England is different. It is more intense. I am always fit – I work for that in training. If the coach wants me to, I am always fit to play.

“Every training session is an opportunity to impress the manager. I try to do my job every day and earn a chance to play.

“[My goal against QPR] was only a start. I need to do more. I need to score more goals and play more games – the more games I play I’ll feel better and better.”

The man Oliveira is trying to impress, Dougie Freedman, praised the player’s attitude in training yesterday.

And Oliveira says his manager and everyone else at the club have helped him settle in quickly.

Oliveira said: “I feel very good in Nottingham – very happy. All my team-mates and the other people here have helped me a lot and have made my adaptation easy. I feel grateful to everyone.

“It is very important because when you go into a new country, a new culture, you need to adapt. If the people there make it easy for you, it’s better.

“It makes you feel more happy and comfortable, and I feel that.”

Read more at https://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/a...w3YViP77X5dM.99