Clichy - Fabregas deserves his new role

Gael Clichy has backed Arsène Wenger’s decision to install Cesc Fabregas as Arsenal’s new captain.

The Spaniard was given the job on Monday as a replacement for William Gallas. Fabregas may only be 21 but Clichy, a ‘veteran’ himself at 23, believes he has the right mentality to excel in the role.

“It is a new start and I hope Cesc will do well,” said the left back. “I'm sure he will.

"When he started in the team everyone was saying he was too young to have so much responsibility but he has shown he can handle a team and put in good performances.

"I'm one of the older players now but, it's not only about age, it's more about togetherness. Of course I will do my best to help my team-mates and I'm sure all the players will give him all the support he needs to be one of the best.

"I'm not scared of saying that he is the key player in the squad so he deserves the respect of the boss.

"His performances over the last couple of years have been fantastic and so I feel it is a good choice.

"For example when we played this year against Sunderland, we were losing 1-0 but he scored the header and we drew the game. That shows the character of Cesc.

"And, last year against Milan he scored a goal that makes you feel this kind of player is really important in the team.

"The only thing Cesc has to do now is play his best football. I'm really happy for him and I'm sure he will do well."