Gibbs - I need to watch and learn from Clichy

Last season, Arsenal officially had best left back in the country. That is why Kieran Gibbs feels he is at the best place to learn his new trade.

The 19-year-old, who signed a new long-term deal at Emirates Stadium this week, is targeting a first-team place at full back these days. It is change from his more familiar role on the left wing.

[Linked Image]

Speaking to Arsenal.com, Gibbs argued his job now was to look and learn from the likes of Gael Clichy, especially after the Frenchman was voted into the Premier League team of the season at the end of last term.

“Traditionally we have full backs who like to get forward,” said the former Wimbledon winger. “Players like Ashley Cole and Gael Clichy, if I keep watching them I can learn to develop that.

“But I need to stay focused on the defending side, it’s something I do need to work on."

“I feel more like an attacking player but they’ve started to play me at left back from the start of the season. They’re just trying me out there to see how it goes, but I’m happy to do both.”