Diaby signs new long-term contract at Arsenal

23 year-old Diaby made his Arsenal debut in January 2006 and has gone on to make 119 appearances for the Gunners in all competitions.

The French midfielder signed for Arsenal from Auxerre in January 2006 and since his arrival in north London, has become a full France international. Abou has impressed this season, scoring six times in his 21 first-team appearances, including his fine strike against Aston Villa on Sunday.

A graduate of the famous Clairefontaine Academy near Paris, Abou captained France Under-19s to success in the 2005 European Championship.

Manager Arsène Wenger said: “We are all delighted that Abou has signed a new long-term contract with the Club. Abou is a great player with huge presence on the football pitch and he has the potential to be an extremely influential part of Arsenal Football Club for many years to come."

Abou Diaby said: “I’m very happy to sign a new contract with the Club. It shows my long-term commitment to Arsenal and I’m very happy here which is why I’m so pleased to extend my contract. It’s a great thing for me and hopefully there will be some good years ahead for me here.”

Diaby is now the 12th first-team player who has committed his long-term future to Arsenal since the end of last season. Diaby joins Carlos Vela, Eduardo, Sanchez Watt, Alex Song, Nicklas Bendtner, Denilson, Robin Van Persie, Theo Walcott, Lukasz Fabianski, Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere, who have all recently committed their long-term futures to the Club.

Everyone at Arsenal Football Club is looking forward to Abou’s continued contribution in the forthcoming years.