Wenger - Club's success is measured over time

Patience is imperative if a football club is to be successful in the long haul, according to Arsène Wenger.

Question marks are being raised over the future of Avram Grant at Chelsea and Sven Goran-Eriksson at Manchester City. Both are less than a year into their respective tenures.

Wenger is among the longest-serving managers in European football, and he believes that longevity has been key to the Club’s good fortune. Even with a third trophyless season looking likely, the future of the manager has never been up for discussion.

“I feel you have to take a distance from immediate results,” said Wenger. “What is important is to make the right decision, have the right philosophy and the decision you make today is the one you still make if you want to be successful in 10 years.

“You must take distance from the immediate game that was won or lost. That can sometimes be down to the decision of the referee and not your skill.

“The only way to show some quality is over the longer distance. We can all win one game and over six months be strong. The manager can show his strengths if he makes stability for eight, 10, 15, 20 years, like [Sir Alex] Ferguson at Manchester United.

“The quality of a club and strength of it is more judged on a longer distance. It is a marathon to lead a club and I believe this particular club has always shown different strengths to other clubs.

“For the rest I am not involved in the politics.”