Silvestre out for 'two or three' more weeks

Mikael Silvestre has suffered an injury set-back and will not be available for another two or three weeks.

The French defender has been out with a thigh injury since hobbling off after half-an-hour against Plymouth on January 3. It was hoped that the 31-year-old was close to a return however, speaking to Arsenal TV Online on Thursday, Arsène Wenger suggested his wait would go on.

“Silvestre has had a little set-back so he will be two or three weeks more,” said the manager.

There was better news for the rest of the squad following the 1-1 draw at Everton. Wenger reported no new injuries however he did suggest he may rotate a couple of players for the visit of West Ham on Saturday.

“We don’t think we have any new injuries from the game at Everton,” Wenger went on. “Looking at the players today I don’t think there is anything to announce.

“I will change things a little bit because we play on Tuesday but this game against West Ham is very important to us. I will make changes but I don’t want to disrupt the side too much.”

Arsenal TV Online subscribers can see the full interview on Friday morning. In it Wenger talks about: the latest on Arshavin, the desire to get the deal done, whether he has bid for anyone else, the transfer window overall, Arsenal’s record of late goals, Van Persie’s stunning season, the importance of the Liverpool v Chelsea fixture, Man United’s return to free-scoring ways, Gianfranco Zola, Carlton Cole and Mark Noble.