Walcott - We deserved our good fortune

Theo Walcott believes Arsenal deserved their good fortune in Tuesday’s FA Cup Quarter-Final against Hull at Emirates Stadium.

William Gallas appeared to be clearly offside when Johan Djourou flicked on a free-kick from Samir Nasri six minutes from time. But no flag was raised and the French centre back gleefully nodded Arsenal into the Semi-Final date with Chelsea on April 18.

“In a way, the winning goal was the sort of luck you need to win the FA Cup,” said Walcott. “The cameras showed it was offside and it's the referee's decision in the end. We can't do anything about that but we deserved it.

“I suppose that’s the FA Cup for you. As long as you get through it doesn’t matter how you play. We played very well at stages, we got the win and we are going to Wembley which is brilliant for all the lads and the fans.”

The contentious goal secured a breathless comeback. Hull had led through Nick Barmby’s deflected strike after 12 minutes. Arsenal struggled in the first half as Hull tried to kill the tie but they were revitalised after the break. Robin van Persie slammed home the equaliser in the 74th minute then Gallas completed a controversial denouement.

“I thought it was a tough game and all the players gave a 100 per cent,” said Walcott. “I was just getting on with the game but there was quite a bit of time-wasting. When you play against the big teams you try and slow the game down. But there was no animosity about that.”