Wenger – I won’t be speaking about Arshavin

Arsène Wenger is known for keeping his transfer cards close to his chest, and the Frenchman does not intend to change his policy when it comes to Andrei Arshavin.

The Zenit St Petersburg playmaker has been hotly tipped to join Arsenal after a spokesperson from his club claimed that the Gunners had enquired about the £20million-rated Russian.

Despite some other Premier League managers choosing to air their transfer-window ambitions in public, Wenger insists he will remain true to his usual philosophy this time around.

“It's not incorrect to speak about the transfer, but even if you are interested in a player and he's not signed or hasn't come here, it's like putting people in front of a big table and saying dinner is not for you,” he said at Friday’s pre-match press conference. “If I say now how great a player is and do not bring him here, people will think that is stupid.

“There are a lot of managers who talk openly about players they would like. [The press] contribute highly to that. I am under pressure to talk about players that maybe I am not capable of buying.”