Wenger - More to come from 'hungry' Walcott

Arsène Wenger doesn't expect Theo Walcott to make a habit of scoring hat-tricks for England but he does believe there is plenty more to come from the Arsenal youngster.

Walcott set tongues wagging across Europe with a scintillating performance in Zagreb on Wednesday night. The 19-year-old inspired the Three Lions to a 4-1 victory against Croatia and has been the toast of his country ever since.

Wenger has seen Walcott develop at close hand since signing the teenager from Southampton in January 2006. The Frenchman did not see Walcott make history - he was watching France instead - but he was not surprised by the winger's exploits.

"I am delighted of course," said Wenger. "I am not surprised because he is a player who has good timing with his runs and is a clinical finisher who can score goals.

[Linked Image]

"I always believed that he will be a fantastic player and I was never concerned - I know he can score goals and I know on the breaks he can be clinical. But for me, most of all is that he continues to develop as a team player.

"What happened yesterday we have to consider to be an exception. Even for players of 25, 26 to score three goals in an international game is a one-off. What is very good is that he has the confidence of [Fabio] Capello in that he plays at that level at 19 years of age.

"How good can he be? Don't set any limitations on any human being because once you have talent the rest is down to how much you want it and to how intelligent you are. I believe he is hungry in a quiet way - quiet determination - and he is intelligent."

As far as Wenger is concerned, that intelligence shone through during Walcott's post-match interview in Zagreb. Indeed, the teenager's conduct after his incredible achievement impressed Wenger as much as the achievement itself.

"I listened to his interview after the game this morning and I was as pleased with his interview as with the three goals he scored," admitted Wenger. "I am not sure if I had scored three goals in an international game I would have given the same interview.

"That shows he is a good analyser, clever, well balanced, with his feet on the ground. Straight away after the game he analysed the consequences of what happened to him last night and how he has to deal with that.

"I feel that is more important for his career than the three goals he scored because that shows a great sign of intelligence and maturity."