'The positive is we are top of the group'

On a frustrating evening…
“I felt that we created the chances in the first half and we had three or four clear-cut chances but couldn’t score. In the second half I felt we dropped a bit physically and from then on we were less dangerous. I felt we had more possession but because we didn’t score and Fenerbahce never really came out, and were happy to defend well in the final third and we were not sharp enough to put our strikers into good positions. That made a 0-0.

“The positive side is that we are top of the group but the negative side is that we didn’t win a game that we should have won. I was not happy to drop points, we play always to win and when we don’t win we are not happy.”

On the welcome clean sheet…
“Defensively we were sound and good in the air. Against two good strikers we didn’t look in trouble at all, we defended well in midfield too but we are used to creating chances with the time getting on. In the last 20 minutes we expect Arsenal always to create many chances and this didn’t come today because I felt we lacked the physical resources.”

On the challenge on Mikael Silvestre…
“I don’t know if it was intentional but he rotated his arm and got him on the nose. I don’t know you must ask the player but I didn’t see it well.

“I speak about the tackles when I see them again on replay in slow motion. Then I can analyse if the guy who makes the tackle goes on the side of the ball or he goes for the left leg when the ball is on the right leg. When he tackles the standing leg on purpose he never intends to play the ball. On this occasion I don’t know.”

On Fenerbahce’s stifling tactics…
“They were defensive tonight, I cannot say they were offensive because they spent their time in their own half but maybe they couldn’t come out. They were well organised and defended well. Maybe at times they were a bit cautious because they conceded five goals against us in the first game and from then on they decided not to make defensive mistakes.”

On being ready for a ‘battle’ against Manchester United…
“Of course they are ready to battle but it depends on what you call battle. Man United only managed a draw today at Celtic so we have both only drawn today.

“It is a massive game and of massive importance for us. We play every three days at the moment and every game is massive for us. Manchester United Arsenal is always a special one and we know for us it is vital to do well in the big games in this league.
I am confident we will. “