Wenger - Managers must show loyalty too

Arsène Wenger believes that loyalty is a two-way street when it comes to football club management.

In a week which saw Luiz Felipe Scolari sacked by Chelsea and Tony Adams relieved of his duties at Portsmouth, Wenger's longevity at Highbury and now Emirates Stadium looks all the more impressive.

The Frenchman has seen a whole host of Premier League managers come and go since he joined Arsenal more than 12 years ago but he was still "surprised" to see Scolari and Adams given so little time to prove themselves.

Some clubs have been accused of impatience when dealing with their managers but, Wenger argues, it works both ways. After all, the Frenchman has shown Arsenal as much loyalty as the Club has shown him.

"I don't feel I have a special security," said Wenger. "I believe that it is very difficult to compare someone who is there for six months to someone who has done 12 years at a club.

"But there is reciprocity as well. I have shown a lot of faith in many special circumstances to the club. I enjoy it and I appreciate the confidence I have from this club.

"I believe it has to go both ways and you must give the club the feeling that you won't jump out at the first difficulty and you will not change club at the first opportunity."