Eduardo pays the penalty after groin injury

Eduardo will miss the visit of Blackburn on Saturday.

The Croatian striker picked up a groin injury in the first half of extra time at Roma and, according to Arsène Wenger, it may have hampered him in the penalty shoot-out at the Stadio Olimipico. Eduardo missed the first spot-kick but Arsenal recovered to win 7-6 and progress to the Champions League Quarter-Finals.

This is the second injury the 25-year-old has picked up since making his comeback after 11 months out against Cardiff on February 16. Luckily the problem is not serious.

“Unfortunately we have lost Eduardo with a groin problem,” Wenger told Arsenal TV Online on Thursday. “He got it in the first half of extra time and I wonder if that stopped him from taking his penalty that well.

“It shows you that no matter what you do in training when you go to the uncontrolled movements of top, top level competition your body needs time to adjust. It is only a short-term injury but he is out for Saturday.”

Otherwise Wenger has a clean bill of health from the Roma game. Andrey Arshavin is available after being cup-tied in the Champions League. Mikael Silvestre is fit but lacks match practice.

“He has not played a game in a long time so I am not sure that I will use him but he is available if needed,” said the manager.

Arsenal TV Online subscribers can see the full video interview with Arsène Wenger on Friday morning. In it he talks about: the dramatic penalty shoot-out against Roma, choosing the takers, confidence in Almunia, the concept of penalties, drawing English teams in the Quarter-Finals, England’s strength in Europe, reeling in Villa for fourth spot, Blackburn’s resurgence under Sam Allardyce, the power of Jason Roberts and the Man United v Liverpool clash