'Fans have been happy with his appointment'

Two late goals a fortnight ago in Arnhem gave Arsenal the upper hand in their Champions League qualifying tie with FC Twente. But Arsène Wenger’s men were made to work for their victory and can expect a similarly tough test when the two sides meet again on Wednesday night.

Ahead of the second-leg we spoke to Rob Berensthot of FC Twente’s official website for a lowdown on the opposition.

On the first-leg...
“The feeling around the Club after the game was disappointment because the team had played so well in the first-half and had chances to win or draw, but they didn’t. The team had two or three good chances to score but couldn’t take them.

[Linked Image]

“A lack of concentration was the problem for one of the goals I think. In the first-half we were very strong, much like we had been the last two years in Holland, and it was just a little mistake in concentration that let Arsenal in.”

On Wednesday’s clash...
“The second-leg will of course be difficult for Twente. It is not impossible but they have to score two of three goals. Arsenal are a really good team and you don’t get too many chances against a team like that. Even taking last weekend at Fulham, that doesn’t mean anything and Arsenal are still a good team and it will always be tough against them.”

On Twente’s domestic season not starting yet...
“On the domestic season, I think it is an advantage that Twente would have played Arsenal a couple of times before the league starts on the weekend. Maybe it is an advantage for Arsenal, though, that they have already played in the Premier League before facing Twente – it means they are in the rhythm. To be honest though, I don’t know what affect it will have.”

On the comings and goings..
“Everybody was impressed by the midfield at Twente last season, but now both of the players are elsewhere. Karim El Ahmadi left for Feyenoord and Orlando Engelaar went to Schalke 04. However you could see in the first-leg match in Arnhem two weeks ago, especially in the players like Cheik Tiote and Theo Janssen, that the midfield can still be strong. But of course Engelaar will be missed.”

On Steve McLaren...
“Definitely the fans have been happy with Steve McLaren’s appointment. They are trustful of what he does, they are looking forward to the season and above all they think he is a good choice. He knows how to deal with big names, he has international experience and the fans are very satisfied with him already, I am sure of that.”