Van Persie has that ‘unbeatable’ feeling

Robin van Persie is feeling “unbeatable”.

According to the Dutchman, his Arsenal side have cut out the “silly mistakes” that dogged the early part of their campaign. The striker even argues that Arsène Wenger’s side would have been in the thick of the title race right now had they remained relatively blip-free before Christmas.

Of course Arsenal’s Premier League ambitions are a little more mundane right now. Champions League qualification is their primary aim and they went a long way to securing that by moving three points clear of Aston Villa with a 3-1 win at Newcastle on Saturday. Nicklas Bendtner’s goal put the visitors ahead but Obafemi Martins replied immediately. However Van Persie set up Abou Diaby and Samir Nasri to secure a crucial win. According to the Dutchman, the comeback was never in doubt.

“I feel we are unbeatable,” he said. “I go out there thinking we can win every game.

“Even when Newcastle drew level I couldn’t help but feel confident. I never thought ‘oh no, we are not going to win’. When Martins scored the first thing I did was look at the time and I saw we had another half-hour left and I was convinced we would win.

“We are just not dropping points anymore. We are not doing those silly things which have cost us earlier in the season.

“I still look back at the dropped points and it hurts. We are 10 points behind Manchester United and six points behind Chelsea. They were silly mistakes and we lost some silly points against teams who we should have beaten. It is hard to take but that is football. It is a tough lesson to learn.

“But if we carry on in the same way we will not drop any more silly points and who knows what will happen in the League, the FA Cup and the Champions League? We are certainly coming into great form at just the right time.”