Wenger - Bendtner can follow Eboue’s lead

Arsène Wenger believes Nicklas Bendtner should take inspiration from Emmanuel Eboue after missing a string of chances against Blackburn.

Bendtner turned in a typically bullish display on Saturday and provided a key pass in the build-up to Arsenal’s opener, but the Dane was guilty of squandering some gilt-edged opportunities himself. The 20-year-old failed to connect properly with a cross from Theo Walcott, hit another effort straight at goalkeeper Paul Robinson and then skied the best chance of all just before he was substituted.

In contrast, Eboue put his early-season troubles even further behind him by scoring twice in an explosive cameo appearance after replacing Samir Nasri seven minutes from time. The Ivorian now has three goals in two games at Emirates Stadium.

Although he insists he isn’t worried about Bendtner’s confidence, Wenger thinks that the Dane should look no further than Eboue for an example of how quickly disappointment can turn to joy.

“Of course Eboue’s an example [for Bendtner],” said the manager after the match.

“Bendtner will [turn it around] I am not worried about that, I was more worried about Eboue at one stage. Fans want performances and that is the only way we have to respond.

“I am pleased that Eboue starts to score because it looked to us that he could never score goals. It shows as well the importance of a psychological factor because he scored last week, again this week and could have scored another one. Before that he never looked like scoring so it’s more in their heads sometimes.

“If he had not scored his goal, and not scored last week, he would not have taken the penalty today and that tells you the importance of confidence.

“We have already tied up Eboue’s contract - that has been done for a long time.”