'We were organised, disciplined and focused'

On the performance…

“It was a big game for us and I felt we were well organised, disciplined, focused and basically never really under threat from FC Twente. What was most important was not to make mistakes, be patient and score our goals.

“I felt the whole team was sharper and physically we were much better than on Saturday afternoon. Maybe that is why we made it easier. It was a game that gave us the same problem as in the first game, by man marking us all over the pitch. When they had the ball they didn't take many risks - they were more focused on possession. We had to be well organised because they played a little bit with our patience."

On the return of Cesc Fabregas…

“I believe he brings calm and confidence to the side and overall we had a good balance in the side. He could have stayed on. He was more disappointed Twente didn't really have a go at us; he likes to play. He wants always to play but I took him off because he has just come back from a hamstring and we play again on Saturday. Recovery time will be very short.”

On responding to the weekend defeat…

“The response was clear. It was togetherness, it was consistency and that is what you want on a night like that. We want to play with the best and to do that means qualifying for the Group Stage. There was so much at stake tonight that of course it was a big mental test.”

On going goal crazy…

“We have been struggling a little bit for goals but I was never really worried about that because we can create chances. It is difficult when you start the season with a qualifier and in-between you have an international friendly. At that moment the bodies aren't completely ready to absorb all that and you can have a dip a little bit. I felt that on Saturday.”

On Nasri's substitution…

“He had a stomach bug during the game and was sick at half-time. He couldn't go on.”

On central midfield…

“I think Denilson had a good game tonight. We have as well Aaron Ramsey - for me he will be a very good player - and we have Alex Song and we have Abou Diaby. Even Nasri can play central but we have to see.”

On Walcott's performance…

“I feel you have to be patient with Theo, I always say that. He can be decisive in any game against anybody if the team has a good collective display and if you can get him involved. He has improved his first touch, his link play, and that was a vital stage for him. Then without losing his one against one ability, he has worked on his control on the move and looks now to have found the balance between individual play and team play. He is a good finisher. What he did today is really the brand of a good finisher and you cannot teach that. He has that naturally.

On Vela's globetrotting...

“We don't see Vela a lot because he goes to Mexico last week and then goes again next week to Jamaica to play two games. Then he will come back a bit late for the game we play away. But I am confident he will play an important part in the season, but at the moment he is away. He is a top class player.”