Adebayor - That Spurs incident is behind us
Arsenal 3-0 Newcastle United
FA Cup Round 4

Emmanuel Adebayor has dismissed his disagreement with Nicklas Bendtner at Tottenham as “a little thing” that has already “finished”.

The spectre of that 5-1 defeat at White Hart Lane was hanging over Arsenal ahead of their FA Cup tie with Newcastle on Saturday. It did not seem to worry Adebayor however he as hit two goals in a 3-0 win.

Afterwards, the Togolese striker spoke for the first time about an issue that had dominated the back pages for a number of days.

“It was just a little thing,” he said. “I tried to motivate him and he took it in the wrong way. Then I did a little bit and I have to work at that as well. But that is football. What happened is already behind us. It is finished.

“I do not want to look what happened yesterday. I want to look at tomorrow. We are all passionate about this Club, we want to win something together as team-mates and as friends. We are all here working in the same way. On Tuesday, things went wrong and that is it.

“We are big guys, so we talk about it. It is behind us already. I am No 25, and he is No 26, so in the dressing room we sit very close. Sometimes it does happen. A child can fight with his father, and they are still friends again.

“We have to take it in a positive way. We have our spirit and are together again as a family. We just want to achieve something together.”