'I was confident we could change the game'

On coming from behind to win…
"What was very important today was that the team has shown personality by being 1-0 down. We played our season today, we could not afford to drop a point.

"The way we responded when we were 1-0 down was of course vital. I wasn’t nervous at half time because I had confidence and belief that we would change the game."

On Walcott’s impact…
"I felt that it is a bit of a shortcut because I believe that the game changed before he came on. Everton had a strong start but we had three or four chances in the first half and in the last 20 minutes of the first half. You could see we were on top and that our domination would certainly increase during the second half.

"Theo came on and did very well and had an impact on the game of course but I feel the whole team played very well. It was a good test today for the team because it was a smashing game against a good Everton side. We were not only good today but we have show personality and mental strength which will be very important for the rest of the season.

"I don’t deny that I am happy and I am the first one to say that Walcott did very well when he came on. It is difficult to measure that and I believe that the whole time had constant pressure in the second half and that did not come from only one man."

On his defensive tactics…
"We were 1-0 up against Hull and we lost the game by sloppy defending. I felt that the team needs reassurance first defensively. We were in a position where we had to attack in the second half and then suddenly we look more balanced. If I decide to move Emmanuel Eboue into midfield at the start it is because I wanted a bit of defensive security. You can say to me it didn’t work and I would say ‘yes we are 1-0 down’. I knew that we could come back and score goals."

On Silvestre’s debut…
"I felt he was like the rest of the team at the start; a little bit nervous. In the first 20 minutes I thought my team were a little bit nervous. Like the team, Silvestre grew throughout the game and he had an outstanding second half."

On Hibbert’s challenge on Denilson
"It was not a good challenge but I don’t think the challenge deserved the red card. The addition of the challenge and Hibbert’s reaction, altogether, the bill could be a red."

On his injury problems…
"For Tuesday, I don’t believe we will get William Gallas or Kolo Toure back. [Nicklas] Bendtner maybe, [Johan Djourou] maybe. [Samir] Nasri could be fit for Tuesday. Toure twisted a ligament in his shoulder and he looks to be out. We have to assess that tomorrow morning but it doesn’t look too good."

On seeing Chelsea run riot at the Riverside…
"For me, big results like that have no meaning. 5-0 Is not the difference between Middlesbrough and Chelsea. I watched the first 20 minutes and you could see that Middlesbrough has one of these days. They had a bad day at the office today. Every little deflection went for Chelsea and they didn’t ever need to get out of second gear to win the game. I don’t believe we saw the real Middlesbrough today, they are a good side and it is a difficult place for everybody to go."

[Saturday, October 18, 2008]