'Winning this game is the first step for us'

On leaving it late against Dynamo Kyiv…
“Yes we left it late but I felt that it was a more steady than spectacular performance and for us it was important to come back to win the game. I believe that Kyiv defended very well and until now they had not conceded a goal away from home in the Champions League. They drew 0-0 at Fenerbahce and won 1-0 in Porto and you could see why tonight. They were very well organised and they gave us no time on the ball. At the moment the fact that we were less spontaneous in our game gave us a big problem.

“Winning is a first step for us because the team needs a bit of reassurance and at least the win will give us that.”

On Nicklas Bendtner’s impact from the bench…
“It is a great goal and it is not handball you can see that on the replay. It was not taken on his arm and it is not handball like Kyiv complained. It was a great goal because first, it was a fantastic ball from Fabregas, and then it was a good touch and a good finish.

“I am very happy for him because I felt he was a bit disturbed recently, maybe because of a lack of confidence. That will give him the needed confidence.”

On Cesc Fabregas’ first outing as club captain…
“He was very good tonight, he was focussed for 90 minutes and he worked hard both offensively and defensively. It was not easy in midfield because they closed us down very well there. I expected Kyiv to drop a little bit in the second half but they didn’t and overall I think Cesc had a very good game.

On the performance of William Gallas…
“I believe that his focus was great and he wanted to do well. You could see that he was completely committed at the back and it was not an easy performance for the defence tonight. Overall I feel he did well.

“The crowd responded very well and that means that they acknowledge that he was a committed captain. I was very happy that the crowd responded in a positive way to him.”

On the role of the younger players…
“Aaron Ramsey worked very hard and Carlos Vela looked good during his hour and he worked very hard. Afterwards he did drop a bit physically because he is not used to playing at that level. Jack Wilshere, when he came on, did extremely well. He has big composure on the ball and he doesn’t look fazed at all and he has done very well.”

On Manuel Almunia’s crucial save at 0-0…
“It was a turning point in the game I feel. In this kind of game, the keeper always has to make a save and he did just that at the right moment.” [img:center]'Winning this game is the first step for us'[/img]