Wenger - Cesc can cure his own growing pains

Arsenal 2-0 Blackburn Rovers

Arsène Wenger has hailed the self-help therapy employed by Cesc Fabregas this season.

Last term, the Spanish midfielder had an equally impressive campaign but, by his manager's own admission, did get drawn into some heated incidents. One of them came against tonight's visitors Blackburn at the end of an FA Cup tie at Emirates Stadium.

This season, Fabregas has retained his form and jettisoned his temper. But, as Wenger revealed before the weekend, he has had little to do with it.

"Cesc is committed and you always like your players to have a winning attitude," said the Frenchman. "Sometimes it can go a little bit over the top but Cesc has behaved remarkably well this season - I cannot remember one incident.

[Linked Image]

"There was maybe a stage, for about six months, where he went a bit the wrong way but he corrected that very well and without any special management from me. He is so intelligent that he realised that is not the way he wanted to go.

"If I feel that the players aren't managing to do it themselves then I will help them to do it. But in his case, there was no need. He apologised [for the Blackburn incident] and from then on there have been no problems with him.

"Maybe the outrage in the media prompted that but I always feel that talented, great players have a fair assessment of their performances and their behaviour. They go home and they ask themselves: 'what did I do right today and what did I do wrong today?' They analyse what happen and they rectify their behaviour and improve their attitude."