Wenger - Theo will win over his critics

Arsène Wenger believes Theo Walcott can win over his critics by having a good World Cup for England.

The Arsenal manager has also suggested that negative comments about his recent performances will not affect the 20-year-old because he does not involve himself with what is being said in the press.

The striker's participation at this summer's World Cup had been questioned after Walcott struggled to impose himself during England's 3-1 victory over Egypt on Wednesday.

However, the 20-year-old scored the winner in Arsenal's 3-1 win over Burnley on Saturday and Wenger has backed his player to prove his critics wrong.

"I defend Theo because I believe he will be a great player," said Wenger. "Let him go to the World Cup and win you some games and the same people will say the opposite [to what they are saying now].

"I think he has the right distance with what people are saying about him. He did that very well when he was praised and he will do that again when people speak about him like that.

"I have heard so many opinions about so many players I could right a book just on opinions.

"I think he will be a great player."

Quelle: arsenal.com