'I believe our pace gave them problems'

Roma’s positive gameplan…
“The game was more positive than what we saw on Saturday and both teams tried to play and go forward. I believe our pace gave them problems in the first half and in the second half we had one chance after the other. At that moment there was room to score. When we tired in the last 20 minutes you saw that they could be dangerous as well.

On Nicklas Bendtner’s performance…
“Maybe he lacked a bit of spontaneous attitude because we want to play so well and do so much. I still believe that defensively we had a sound performance and we didn’t concede a goal as well.”

On the contrast with Saturday’s match…
“I believe that the games are locked in the Premier League because the teams refuse to play. When teams don’t come out, the game doesn’t go up and down. We had no space on Saturday and as long as you don’t score the first goal, that is what you get. In a game like tonight both teams take initiative when they win the ball back which isn’t the case at the moment in the Premier League.”

On the performance of match-winner Robin van Persie…
“I wanted him to play because we’ve had problems scoring goals. I wanted to play him closer to the goal and put Samir Nasri central to give him a more creative role in our build-up. I believe it worked quite well and we always looked like we could be dangerous going forward. Overall I am very pleased with Robin’s attitude and performances since the start of the season.”

On starting the second half with only nine men…
“Kolo always goes out for the second half last so he waited for William who was having treatment at half time. They didn’t know the game had started without them and they were putting their boots on. It was our fault because you have to be ready when the bell rings. I played at a time when we didn’t even go in the dressing room at half time!"

On Francesco Totti’s contribution…
“I felt we kept him quiet by protecting the centre well. Also we were dominating the game so he didn’t get much service.”

On Denilson’s role in the midfield…
“I still believe that Denilson has had a good season. Since January he has become more dominant in the defensive area of the game. He is 20-years-old and he hasn’t missed a game since the first game of the season. It’s a fantastic performance.”