Chamakh chase unlikely to resume in January

Arsène Wenger is unlikely to revive his interest in Marouane Chamakh during the January window.

The Arsenal manager was closely monitoring the Bordeaux striker in the summer and, in the wake of the medium-term injury to Robin Van Persie, it was suggested he may launch another bid for the talented 25-year-old in the New Year.

The Moroccan international is in the final few months of his contract with the French champions. Therefore, by January, his value will be dropping rapidly and he will be able to sign a pre-contract with another club. However, Wenger argues that because they are performing so well in the Champions League, it still makes financial sense for Bordeaux to retain his services.

“At the moment I am inclined to say no [about going back for him] because I feel we have enough quality,” said the Frenchman before the weekend. “Also I want to give a chance to Carlos Vela who comes back from injury and has great performances in training.

“Bordeaux are very reluctant [to sell]. The player will be free to sign where he wants but they will not get a lot of money for three months more [on this contract].

“No [I have not enquired about him]. They are reluctant because I cannot see how they can get a player of the same quality and it will be stupid for them to sell him if they are qualified in the Champions League to make, what, £1 million Euros? They can make three times that if they have a good run in the Champions League.”

arsenal.com