Wenger – We’re proud of our Bolton pep-talk

Arsène Wenger reacted with a mixture of defiance and disappointment after notes of his pre-match briefing ahead of the Bolton game appeared in a national newspaper on Monday.

The piece of paper seemed to be a mental pep-talk and the media suggested it was delivered by a psychologist. However, speaking after the 6-0 win over Sheffield United, Wenger put the record straight.

“That is not true,” he said. “This meeting was done by me and only by me.

“What came out of the meeting is what we have done many times. We want to be humble and play for each other.

“What I regret is when you leave a sheet in a five-star hotel you find it in a newspaper the next day. That means you cannot trust anybody. Someone finds a sheet that has ‘confidential’ written on it they give it to the newspapers. People wouldn’t rather give it back to the team or throw it away.

“You cannot accept this type of behaviour because if you leave £20 in your room you will not find it again as well. It’s the same.

“But I must stress that we have nothing to hide. Every team wants to behave almost the same and we are proud of the qualities on that sheet.”