Wenger longs for Chelsea revenge in Rome

Arsène Wenger would love the opportunity to avenge Saturday’s defeat to Chelsea on May 27 in the Champions League Final.

Goals from Flourent Malouda and Didier Drogba consigned Arsenal to defeat in the FA Cup Semi-Final at Wembley after they had taken an early lead through Theo Walcott.

It was a bitter disappointment to Wenger given their fine form coming into the game. But afterwards the Arsenal manager comforted himself in the knowledge that, should both teams get past Manchester United and Barcelona in their respective Semi-Finals, there was the possibility of the settling the score.

“I would love to play Chelsea again in the Champions League Final,” he said. “We could take our revenge. But we have another little team to play before then!

“I believe we are maturing well. Chelsea’s average age was 29, ours is 21 or 22. And we were a little bit unlucky on Saturday. In extra-time I still think we would have had a good chance. Unfortunately it did not happen.

“What we didn't want was to have a big mistake at 1-1. They didn't have one. We did. That was the big difference.

“But you cannot say they were dominating the game. They played their kind of game and maybe we couldn't play ours because we were a bit jaded.

“But I would love to meet them again and, of course, we have already beaten them this season.”