We’re best equipped to dethrone the champions

Arsène Wenger believes his side are best equipped to dethrone Manchester United despite Saturday’s defeat at Old Trafford.

Andrey Arshavin handed the Gunners a deserved lead five minutes before the break in the champions’ backyard. However, Wayne Rooney’s penalty and Abou Diaby’s own goal in the second-half sent Arsenal to their first defeat of the season.

Speaking after the game, a disappointed Wenger insisted that his confidence in the side had not diminished as a result of the reverse. But the manager admitted that there is room for psychological growth among his squad.

“We were very strong today. I am very confident, I just hope that this unexpected defeat will not derail their confidence,” Wenger said.

“I feel we are equipped to challenge for the title. Frankly, when you see a comparable two performances of the two teams, you can recognise that.

“I think they have won a game today they should not have won.

“I believe we looked mature on the pitch, in the way we are positioned on the pitch but individually in this team there is some nervousness there.”

Quelle: arsenal.com