Wenger - We need an on-song Adebayor

When Emmanuel Adebayor is on song, he has no bigger fan than Arsène Wenger.

The Togolese striker is expected to lead the line for Arsenal when they welcome Villarreal to Emirates Stadium tonight for the second leg of their Champions League Quarter-Final. Adebayor has already left his indelible mark on the tie with a spectacular scissors kick to secure a 1-1 draw at El Madrigal eight days ago.

Adebayor has scored three times in two starts since returning from a two-month injury lay-off and has shown glimpses of the form which took him within an ace of the Golden Boot last term. Wenger believes he brings a great deal to the Arsenal side.

"I am always a bit cautious to talk about [whether he has the potential to be the world's best striker]," said the Frenchman. "But when he is on form he is a striker I like.

"He has that combination of physical strength, technical quality and a determined attitude. I believe he is a needed presence in the middle - like [Nicklas] Bendtner.

"I think he will stay. He has a long-term contract. I feel I gave you an answer really a few weeks ago. We have to focus on our short-term [goals] and win the next game and what happens in the summer is not so important."