Adebayor - I've found the goalscoring secret

Emmanuel Adebayor believes he may have found the secret of finishing.

The tall Togolese striker has hit eight goals in his last six games for Arsenal, including a brace against tonight’s opponents Newcastle in an FA Cup Fourth Round tie at the weekend.

With Robin van Persie injured plus Eduardo and Nicklas Bendtner still adapting to top-flight English football, the 24-year-old has done as much as anyone to haul Arsène Wenger’s side into title contention during the first half of the season.

However he shuns comparisons to Europe’s top strikers — Didier Drogba and Filippo Inzaghe — arguing his improvement is down to simple hard work plus a regular run in the side.

“This year I've had a chance to start all the games and just try to make goals,” said Adebayor. “At the moment, everything is going into the net. Everything is going the right way for me and the fans are singing my name. I am just enjoying myself.

“Since the beginning of the season I have been working and working, and you can see what's happened. Now I have the secret, and just want to carry on working to the end of the season and the end of my career.

“I have had a chance to talk with a lot of people. They have all told me I have good qualities, I can jump high, am strong and can run fast. I just have to work hard a bit more than before, and it will pay off.

“The most important thing is to keep my head on my shoulders and my feet on the ground, keep on doing what I can to work hard for the team.

“I am not here to say whether I am as good as Drogba, as good as Inzaghi. The most important thing for me is doing my job. People will always compare you to people they want to. It is for others to say that.

"The most important thing for me is to keep on getting goals and playing my part on the pitch.”