Wenger - Fatigue factor affected my defence

Arsène Wenger believes fatigue was a factor as his team shipped four goals at Anfield on Tuesday night.

Andrey Arshavin's quartet at the other end secured a point in a thrilling 4-4 draw at Liverpool but the Arsenal manager was left to rue defensive lapses as the visitors relinquished a winning position on three different occasions.

With games coming thick and fast in the Premier League and Champions League, Wenger would prefer to rotate his back four. But injuries to Manuel Almunia, William Gallas, Johan Djourou and Gael Clichy leave him little room for manouevre.

"I am not happy with our defending but I believe that our defence has played many games and they were a bit jaded physically," said the manager.

"We cannot change many players, especially at the back. Offensively we have a bit more choice but at the back we haven’t got too much choice.

"Of course [resting players against Middlesbrough] is in our thoughts but the best way to prepare for the Champions League is to win games in the Premier League."