Wenger targets two 'real quality' players

Arsène Wenger wants one or two "real quality" additions to his squad over the summer.

It was evitable that the Arsenal manager would soon be questioned on his transfer plans in the wake his side's failure to lift the Champions League and Premier League trophies.

Wenger contends his squad does not need major surgery after reaching the Quarter-Finals in Europe and taking their title bid into April despite a raft of injuries. However he concedes that a couple of major contributors are needed.

"At the moment, I don't know [how many we need]," he said at Friday's press conference.

"If you look at the numbers we had Rosicky, Van Persie, Eduardo all out for a period when one of them could have produced a goal for us.

"Van Persie did play at Liverpool but that was a Van Persie of 60 or 70 per cent. He was out for five months and he is just coming back a little bit now. Even Diaby was out for a big part of the season.

"So if you ask me how many players I want to buy, it is not a question of quality, it is a question of one or two quality, real quality, players."