Patient Gibbs sets his sights on silverware

Having already realised his season’s ambition of a Premier League debut, Kieran Gibbs is now setting his sights even higher.

Gibbs had already featured in the FA Cup, Carling Cup and Champions League before his first taste of League football against Tottenham in February.

And, speaking after playing 90 minutes for England Under-20s in their victory over Italy on Tuesday night, Gibbs admitted that his first-team breakthrough has instilled a fresh ambition – silverware.

“At the start of the season I set myself the target of a Premier League debut,” he told Arsenal.com. “But now I have done that I think, hopefully, we have got a chance to win something this season.

“We are still in big competitions, we’ve got a good chance and a very good squad. We’ve just picked up form again and I don’t see why we can’t go on and win something this year.

“So I would say that is my target.”

Arsenal’s left-back slot is a position where understudies have had notable success in recent years. Ashley Cole had to overcome the talented Silvinho, then Gael Clichy took his opportunity when Cole left for Chelsea in 2006.

But Gibbs won’t take much comfort from that trend, preferring to concentrate solely on his own development.

“I’m not looking too much at the past,” he said. “I just want to bring my own side of the game into it and keep playing, keep enjoying my football.

“Hopefully I have shown in my last few games what I can do there. I am just looking to carry on really.

“Having had a taste of the first team it can be difficult [to wait] but I am still learning the game. Obviously it is a big club so I need to be patient.

“I am sure - like I have been given the chance before - I will get it again.”