Wenger - Roma won't play for a goalless draw

Roma will be attack-minded at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night, according to Arsène Wenger.

The Arsenal manager cut a frustrated figure on the touchline during the scoreless draw with Sunderland on Saturday. It was their third successive Premier League game without a goal and saw them fail to make up much ground on the top four.

Ironically a result like that would be more pleasing this week when Luciano Spalletti’s side visit London in the Champions League Knockout Round. In two-legged affairs avoiding an away goal is essential and 0-0 at Emirates Stadium did Arsenal no harm in the first leg against Milan last year. However, Wenger feels that will be the aim for neither side.

“I don't believe Roma will come for a goalless draw,” he said. “I think they will play in an Italian way, catch us on the break because they know an away goal will give them a good chance.

"We will have to have a spot-on defensive performance and score goals against them.

“In Italy, they have a view that the English games are very open and teams go for it. You couldn't say that against Sunderland. I believe the possession was 70-30 and people have not that kind of image of the Premier League.

“I feel that this year some teams have gone in a bit more [of a] negative direction than the years before. There is a more cautious approach and there are fewer teams playing with two strikers. I can count on one hand the number of teams who have played with two strikers at the Emirates.

“In the years before you could count on one hand the teams that did NOT play with two strikers.”