Clichy - We'll be fine even if we don't buy

Gael Clichy believes Arsenal will be just fine regardless of whether Arsène Wenger adds to his squad before the transfer window closes at midnight.

The Arsenal manager has a habit of deadline-day dealings - recent years have seen William Gallas and Lassana Diarra arrive with hours to spare - and this time Wenger is on the lookout for reinforcements in central midfield.

[Linked Image]

Clichy will leave the transfer nitty-gritty to his manager but insists that Arsenal can thrive even if they don't strengthen their squad. In the left-back's opinion, Saturday's 3-0 win against Newcastle was evidence of that.

"We showed [on Saturday] we have the quality, but against Fulham it was not there," said Clichy.

"Buying new players is up to the boss. He has shown everyone he is a great manager and if he feels the team needs one or two new players, then he will do it. If not, then I am sure we have the quality to do things.

"As for me, I just have to perform well for the Club."

One school of thought suggests that new recruits would reduce first-team opportunities for some of Arsenal's talented youngsters. Clichy can empathise with the Club's youth prospects but accepts that Wenger knows what he is doing.

"A few years ago, I was the young player waiting for a chance," said Clichy. "It is good for the young players to have a chance and we have that quality in the squad.

"If the boss thinks we need more good, young players then he will buy, if not, we will make do with what we have got."