Wenger - My three reasons to be cheerful

Arsène Wenger outlined his three ‘reasons to be cheerful' at the Club's AGM on Thursday lunchtime.

The Arsenal manager believes that supporters have been in "recession mood" recently while he feels the team are about to deliver.

Wenger argues the Club is financially stable off the pitch, consistent on it and a steady stream of young talent coming through the ranks means the future is relatively secure.

"You are all very quiet," the Frenchman began. "A little bit like the game on Saturday.

"It is a recession mood but it will not last do not worry. I would like to give you some reasons to cheer up and be optimistic.

"First of all I feel the Club is well-managed financially and I am very proud that we live within the resources we create from our own business and we do not need external income. I feel that is very important for the future of the Club.

"Another big reason to be optimistic is that we have been very consistent. Through the years we have always been at the top level and we always want to win trophies but the most difficult thing to achieve is consistency.

"For example, there are only four teams around Europe who have been in the Champions League for 10 consecutive years and we are one of them.

"The third thing I would like to say as well is the structure of our team is fantastic, but very young. That means that tomorrow will be better than yesterday.

"It means as well that nothing dramatic will happen to this Club. For years we have had a foreign influx but we have worked hard with young English talent. They will be ready within one or two years to produce results."

Wenger also argued that it is precisely in these tough times that a young side like his needed leadership and support.

"I am personally very proud," he said. "But I believe this team needs a strong guide to go through difficult periods, because at the moment I do not feel that, either from the media or our supporters, that this team gets the support that it deserves.

"That is why I think they need a stronger guide than ever. I want to be that guide and I want to get this team to deliver not next year, but this year.

"That is my reasoning for being such an optimist. That is part of my job you will tell me but it is also an objective assessment of what I really believe."