Peyton - Jens Lehmann leaves on a high

Arsenal goalkeeping coach Gerry Peyton has paid tribute to Jens Lehmann, who will leave the Club in the summer when his contract expires.

[Linked Image]

The pair both arrived in North London in July 2003 and took over from a couple of established Highbury legends. Lehmann would go on to win the Premier League title and the FA Cup during five fine seasons.

The German ended up with 198 starts for Arsenal and one substitute appearance. That came against Everton in the final home game of this season when his 14-minute cameo was designed to give the 38-year-old a chance to say goodbye to the Arsenal fans.

"I am sorry to see him go," Peyton told Arsenal.com. "We both came at the same time and found ourselves at a big club. David Seaman had just left having been a great keeper for Arsenal and Bob Wilson had just retired having been a great goalkeeping coach. So we sort of looked at each and thought 'hang on we'd better win some trophies'.

"The first season could not have gone any better with the unbeaten run. The second season was very good and Jens had a great display as we won the FA Cup.

"In the third season we went to the Champions League Final and he was voted the best keeper in that. And remember he also took the German keeper's jersey from a legend, Oliver Kahn.

"For me Jens is a total professional and he is a character. He is a lovely man off the field and on the field he has an edge that means he demands the best of everyone alongside him.

"He is driven and, at 38, there will be teams ringing him up asking if he'll play for them. So I think he can leave Arsenal with his head held high."