Wenger: 'We battled for the three points, we had to'

Everton 1-4 Arsenal

on the three points and going top...
"For us it is a great result. We have showed that we can battle and we have a great spirit. We can cope with all the problems we face and that is always the sign of a very good side."

on the vital moments...
"The turning point was that we played well on set-pieces in the second half and also the spell where we had 10 men and they had 11 but we did not concede. Then they made the mistake that killed their game. I think 4-1 is hard on Everton, the difference was not as big as that. But when they were 3-1 down they lost a player and from then on it was impossible."

on making changes at the break...
"I was tempted yes but I felt the reason was that we were a bit nervous after the Manchester United result. We were against a good Everton side who stopped us playing. They did well. It was up to us to get the ball down and play more positive. And to be less nervous because we lost too many balls in the first half. After the break maybe we had the luck to score straight away, 1-1, and that changed the game. From then on we looked dangerous, Everton dropped physically maybe and the 2-1 came quickly."

on the red cards...
"Both were not completely obvious from the outside. I did not see the foul of Bendtner. It was certainly not malicious but clumsy. If it was a second yellow then we have to accept it. Arteta touched Cesc Fabregas because I asked him but I have not seen it on the tape."

on facing up to the physical battle...
"We battled, we had to. Last season here, Everton played a very physical game and they were very direct. And we lost. So I can understand that they repeated this tactic. We won today, but it was very close. I saw tapes of Everton before today and they played a completely different type of game. They were more direct than they were against Bolton, for example, when they were passing short all along the ground. It was strange for us. But we have faced so many teams in that style that it has made us stronger to face it. Maybe 18 months ago we would be beaten easily but we have had practice in this kind of game. Today we are less in danger."

on adapting Arsenal's style...
"When we do not win, many times people have questioned the way we play. When you want to play a different style first they fight it, then they accept it and, if you win, they love it. I hope we are in the third stage. But our style has to be convincing efficiency-wise because if you don’t win then people will always question you. We want to win and play the football we love. I am convinced that is the best way for us."