'The game was really over before it started'

On conceding such an early goal…
“The most disappointing thing tonight is that we don’t feel like we’ve played the Semi-Final of the Champions League because we were out of it after 10 minutes. We had 80 minutes to play against a team who defend well and waited for the counter attack. We were in a position where we had to take all the gambles after having started quite well. The most disappointing thing is that the game was over before it started, that is most difficult to swallow.

“We can only look at ourselves I must say but it’s very, very disappointing to fight such a long way to get where we have been but to give the game away like we did tonight.

“It is the most disappointing. I felt the fans were really up for a big night and to disappoint the people who stand behind the team so much tonight hurts really.”

On individual mistakes costing his team…
“We do not want to blame any player individually. It is like that and in two minutes we conceded two goals which was too much on a night like that against a team who defends well and comes out on the counter-attack.

“We were ready for a fight, ready for a game, but after 10 minutes it was impossible. We kept going and we did as much as we could, played with pride and desire, but of course some part of the belief had gone.”

On Man United deserving their place in the Final…
“We could talk all night but it would not change the mistakes now – that’s the game. I must say that, over the two games, Man United deserved to go through because the game could have been over in the first leg. We had a good opportunity to come back and I believe we would have done it but overall they were the better side – congratulation to them and good luck in the Final.

“We had some experienced defensive players who were out for a long time. We had to deal with that. I wouldn’t like to blame the players who played but it’s part of football. Of course you do not plan it but we have to stand up for it and finish the season well and respond well against Chelsea.”

On the possibility of adding to his squad in the summer…
“It’s a difficult question to answer tonight because I am too disappointed. I need to take some distance with this season. We are on a consistent run of 21 games unbeaten but recently in the games that have mattered, like Chelsea and tonight, we couldn’t win. That of course needs thinking.

“It’s easy to say that we needa bit of experience but I am convinced that we have the quality and we’ll continue to develop. If you look at the average age of the team it is still very young. To reach that level deserves a lot of credit but tonight we were caught by a tem who has the art to kill and take advantage of mistakes. I believe Cristiano Ronaldo today gave us a tough time.”