Wenger: 'It is not easy to be so consistent'

on the performance...
"The first half was good, in the second half we eased off. We just kept the result and we were in control. You could see we lacked a bit of urgency in the final third because we just eased a little bit off in the second half. First half was interesting with fluent moving, it was a very good first half."

on bouncing back from Sunderland...
"If you look at the last nine games we have had a very good run but Saturday was not at the requested level. It is still in the minds of the players because you never forget a disappointment. But it was important to win today to prepare well for the Chelsea game on Sunday."

on 10 years in the knockout stages...
"I am pleased because it is not easy [to be that consistent]. I must say in this group we were favourites, that was quite normal, and we just did the job. If you put the 10 years together you can say we have been consistent."

on going further than last year...
"I believe yes but there are two competitions in the Champions League - one is the championship and one is a cup. We move now from the championship to the cup competition and that means it is different psychologically and we go now into a period when every minute is important. We want of course to adapt to that. We have normally the advantage to play the second leg at home so let's get our injured players back and get in a strong position in the League, that is important as well for the confidence of the team."

on resting players at Olympiacos...
"Yes, we will."

on picking Carlos Vela...
"Carlos needs games and I thought I had an opportunity tonight to give him a game and I believe he did like the team - very well in the first half before dropping a little bit in the second half. I was pleased with his movement off the ball and his combination play with his partners in the team."

on how his selection was influenced by the Chelsea game...
"I wanted to give a game to Denilson of course because he came back from injury and apart from that I just tried to win the game tonight."

on Liverpool's elimination...
"Well I think when you depend on the results of another team you are in a bad position. They did the job tonight but you always favour Fiorentina at home against Lyon especially when they are on a good run and have an opportunity to qualify for the first time in the history of the club if they win at home. I thought it would be difficult for Liverpool to qualify unless Fiorentina did not beat Lyon."

on how it affects a team...
"It's very difficult to say how much impact it has on the team. They can respond well and say 'let's do well in the Europa League'."

on whether he is glad Liverpool are out...
"No. If you say to me I want all the big teams to be out it is impossible. I believe you look at your own performances and if Liverpool is out, somebody else strong is in. Anyway we could not play against them in the early stage of the knockout."

on Denilson's goal...
"I think he has a typical Brazilian shot. With this floating ball I think they have shorter ankles and it gives a different flight to the ball. It is typical Brazilian technique and I tried to analyse it many times. I could only think maybe they have a bit shorter ankle in front and they can kick the ball high up with the laces. I have never checked it!"

on the key to success in the group stage...
"I believe it is important to win your home games because what happened to Liverpool was that basically they lost at home to Lyon in the last minute. That cost them the qualification, even with a draw Lyon would have two points less and Liverpool one point more. In the Champions League qualifying group you cannot lose at home."

on Alex Song's contract extension...
"We extended his contract yesterday. That will be confirmed very shortly. He is an important player, of course. He has three years to go, now he has four years to go at the end of the season - to 2014."

arsenal.com