Wenger - Why I've not bought a new striker

Arsène Wenger has not bought a new player this month because - so far - he hasn't found anyone who could strengthen his squad.

The Arsenal manager admitted last month that he would be in the market for a new striker in January following long-term injuries to Robin Van Persie and Nicklas Bendtner.

However, Bendtner is on the cusp of a comeback and, even in his absence, Arsenal have been scoring goals at a faster rate than any other team in the Premier League.

Wenger has not ruled out a late swoop in the transfer window but he has certain criteria which must be met before he opens his cheque book.

"If I don't find better than what we have [then I will not buy]," said the Frenchman. "At the moment we have not found that.

"You can take players, they're on the market but it's a different thing to find good players that will, let's say, strengthen our squad.

"Also, we didn't know for a while if Bendtner would come back and when.

"It is commonly perceived [that we need a new striker] but we have the best goalscoring record.

"It's strange because I go to press conferences where you [reporters] ask me 'you let too many goals in'. Meanwhile we have the best attack and people ask me ‘why don't you buy strikers?'

Quelle: arsenal.com